Official: Michael Schumacher to return for Ferrari in the European Grand Prix

Michael Schumacher will drive Felipe Massa's Ferrari in Valencia

Michael Schumacher will drive Felipe Massa's Ferrari in Valencia

We had only just begun talking about who might replace Felipe Massa at Ferrari and now it has been confirmed:

Michael Schumacher will return to Formula 1 in the European Grand Prix driving alongside Kimi Raikkonen.

Schumacher said on his official website:

I was meeting this afternoon with Stefano Domenicali and Luca di Montezemolo and together we decided that I will prepare myself to take the place of Felipe.

Though it is true that the chapter Formula 1 has been closed for me since long and completely, it is also true that for loyalty reasons to the team I cannot ignore that unfortunate situation. But as the competitor I am I also very much look forward to facing this challenge.

Schumacher will be racing the F60 – a car he has never driven – at the Circuito Urbano Valencia – a track he hasn’t raced on before.

Last year’s European Grand Prix was derided as a boring procession. I fancy we might have something rather more interesting to talk about in three-and-a-half weeks’ time.

Saddened though we all have been by Massa’s crash – and relieved at his continued recuperation – it will be a thrill to see Schumacher up against the likes of Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel.

More on Michael Schumacher

317 comments on Official: Michael Schumacher to return for Ferrari in the European Grand Prix

1. Tom said on 29th July 2009, 22:28

well i’ll just go and gobble up my words from the previous post. shuey for world champion! he’ll need to win every race with button webber vettel and barrichello scoring nothing. if anyone can do it, it’s him.

2. Martin said on 29th July 2009, 22:29

While not a Ferrari fan,I do like the fact Schumacher os coming back for Massa. I will be interested in how he does. If he performs and places well or wins it will set the entire F1 world on its ear.
    Especially if he qualifies well and takes off from the start and dissappears. I know this is boring but what would it say about the others that are driving right now with the lack of competitiveness of the Ferrari so far this year.(Yes I know they were second at the last race)

3. Brawn said on 29th July 2009, 22:39

I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY!!!!!!!! Q the terminator music. Lewis wont sleep tonight :D

• StrFerrari4Ever said on 29th July 2009, 23:02

Haha we will see him get tamed by the great one even if there are many who are doubting dont doubt a great person like Thomas did to Jesus.

• just me said on 29th July 2009, 23:24

LOL! Terminator music is fitting, but I’d rather play the Jaws music (tam-tam, tam-tam, tam-tam …)

• Martin said on 30th July 2009, 1:58

terminator and Jaws music… that is too funny.

• Omegaz3ro said on 30th July 2009, 2:07

I honestly think he’s as happy as we are.

If I recall correctly he said in interviews that he would have liked to race Michael.

Lewis’ not fighting for championship, so why should he be worried?

Image? Fear of be defeated? I don’t think drivers think that way.

What I’m sure is that they (and us) will enjoy the ride. XD

• Maksutov said on 30th July 2009, 7:34

Yes drivers do not think that way, in fact I believe both of them will be really happy that they can have some fun and challenge each other, that is what race drivers think and feel

4. Paul Sainsbury said on 29th July 2009, 22:43

@ Brawn….

Lewis might not sleep tonight, but even if he doesn’t. it will be from excitement, not worry. He said he always wanted to race against MS, he will be chuffed it is going to happen, as I think we all are. But I suspect that if you think MS is going to walk all over Lewis Hamilton, I have a feeling you will soon be eating humble pie……..

5. maciek said on 29th July 2009, 23:02

Wow. I feel so conflicted – I always hated this guy just for being such an arrogant f**k – but this is just about every racing fan’s wet dream, no matter your loyalties.

Bring on the rest of the season!

6. Toby Bushby said on 29th July 2009, 23:04

When was the last time two World Champions drove in the same team?

7. Dane said on 29th July 2009, 23:09

As much as i love MS, Im looking forward to seeing Webber beat him :)

8. 159Tom said on 29th July 2009, 23:14

Let’s see how he gets on without Ross Brawn…

9. Omegaz3ro said on 29th July 2009, 23:42

I hope that the F60 will be strong enough to match the McLarens to see a Hamilton-Schumacher battle.

I’m also curious to see Schumacher “interpretation” of Kers. Will he use it? Where will he?

Risk, possible humiliation after years of retirement.

I don’t care, this is pure Magic. An icon return to challenge another emerging icon.

It’ll be a looong wait.. :)

10. amilton, Alonso and Ralf Schumacher fight for the best starting position but in the end only Michael Schumacher triumphs.

11. TeamOrders said on 29th July 2009, 23:56

Wow, I woke up an athiest but then read this news, the SECOND COMING is happening, and we know exactly when.

Sensational :D

12. Eric said on 30th July 2009, 0:03

One of the greatest of all time no doubt, but what are his chances really, racing on a circuit he has never driven on before, driving a car he has never driven before, recovering from an injury, driving for a team that is not as dominant as it was when he last raced. Alot of questions, but what a great story for Valencia, I will be glued to my television for every minute he is on the track!

13. Eric said on 30th July 2009, 0:12

One of the greatest of all time no doubt, but driving on a circuit he has never seen before, driving a car he has never driven before, recovering from an injury, and driving for a team that is nowhere near as dominant as it was the last time he drove for them. Many questions for sure but I will be glued to the tv every second he is on the track.

• Austin said on 30th July 2009, 0:42

According to John Watson, Michael will be using the Ferrari F1 simulator until Valencia. Apparently its almost as good as the real thing. He’ll probably also do some real world straight line testing, so he’ll have his starts using the KERS to perfection. It should be very interesting if he can qualify in the front 3 rows of the grid. Only time will tell if he’s up to racing full distance.

Link to further reactions to Michaels return http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8175619.stm Eddie Jordan talking him up big time.

14. Elvis lives, Jesus walks, Schumacher drives.

15. Joe Jones said on 30th July 2009, 1:10

why couldnt this news have been broken closer to Valencia. Im like a kid before xmas, its going to get worse over the next few weeks too.

He’s got less recent experience of racing than Jamie Algablablabla. Think hell take a couple of races to get in the groove. Hopefully he will be able to direct ferrari on the feeling of the car. What a driver pairing though, a few years ago and this was the dream team.

16. The sri lankan said on 30th July 2009, 1:27

Wth is the reason fora test driver then?? so far all the test drivers had been given the short end. im sure Marc Gene is fuming alongside Luca

17. SoLiD said on 30th July 2009, 1:29

He did test the F2008, so he drove without traction control!
    I don’t expect him to blow us away in Valencia (altough I won’t be surprised if he did), but he’ll do a great job!

18. Leaf said on 30th July 2009, 1:38

This is a beautiful thing Ferrari, and Michael, is doing. By putting him in the seat they are, in essence, saying that the seat remains open awaiting Felipes return.

19. wasiF1 said on 30th July 2009, 2:08

It has been one of Hamilton’s great disappointments he never raced against Schumacher as he started his F1 career the season after the legendary German decided to hang up his racing gloves.]

It will be nice to see how he do with KIMI Raikkonen.
    Remember the ad in a Fiat Punto