Michael Schumacher will not get to sample a 2009-spec Ferrari F60 after three teams blocked the move.
The opposition came from Williams and Red Bull/Toro Rosso. The latter objected because they claim to have made a similar request for Jaime Alguersuari which had been turned down. Williams, meanwhile, said Ferrari should have used one of their nominated reserve drivers.
Mercedes’ Norbert Haug, who was in favour of granting Schumacher a test, seemed to think Red Bull had not made such a request for Alguersuari:
Giving Jaime a test would have been justifiable, but having said that I don’t think there was an official request.
You will find some guys that will try to block it. But what goes around comes around. They will need some help at another stage. It’s not giving people presents, it’s being fair when it’s justifiable.
It’s not hard to see why Ferrari plumped for Schumacher when the opportunity arose, nor why they chanced their arm on getting him a test in the current car.
He has, of course, already logged 67 laps at Mugello in an F2007 using GP2 slicks. There were rumours the FIA were unhappy about this but there has been nothing forthcoming from the governing body.
You don’t need me to rattle off Schumacher’s daunting career stats to prove how gigantically experienced he is. If the F60 is as competitive at Valencia as it was at the Hungaroring then even if he hasn’t tested it yet he’s a candidate for the win.
And you have to wonder if that’s part of the reason why some of the other teams don’t want him testing.
Do you think he should be allowed a day’s driving in the F60?
- Schumacher tests at Mugello (pictures)
- Schumacher and F1?óÔé¼Ôäós oldest ever drivers
- 100 F1 race winners: statistics
- Official: Michael Schumacher to return for Ferrari in the European Grand Prix
- Michael Schumacher’s F1 career in pictures
- Michael Schumacher’s F1 career in stats
- Michael Schumacher career retrospective
- Michael Schumacher’s last Grand Prix: Brazil 2006
- Debate: Which of Schumacher’s titles was the best?
- Michael Schumacher biography