Michael Schumacher cancels F1 return

Michael Schumacher at the wheel of a Ferrari F2007 in Mugello

Michael Schumacher at the wheel of a Ferrari F2007 in Mugello

Michael Schumacher has announced he will not be returning to race at the European Grand Prix at Valencia.

A statement on his website says:

Yesterday evening, I had to inform Ferrari President Luca di Montezemolo and Team Principal Stefano Domenicali that unfortunately I’m not able to step in for Felipe. I really tried everything to make that temporary comeback possible, however, much to my regret it didn’t work out. Unfortunately we did not manage to get a grip on the pain in the neck which occurred after the private F1-day in Mugello, even if medically or therapeutically we tried everything possible.

The consequences of the injuries caused by the bike-accident in February, fractures in the area of head and neck, unfortunately have turned out to be still too severe. That is why my neck cannot stand the extreme stresses caused by Formula 1 yet. This are the clear results of the examinations we did on the course of the past two weeks and the final examination yesterday afternoon. As there were no improvements after the day in Mugello, I decided at short notice on Sunday to do that thorough examination already yesterday.

I am disappointed to the core. I am awfully sorry for the guys of Ferrari and for all the fans which crossed fingers for me. I can only repeat that I tried everything that was within my power. All I can do now is to keep my fingers crossed for the whole team for the coming races.

Ferrari has not yet announced who will take his place. Reserve driver Marc Gene is likely to be the favourite.

Schumacher had been expected to conduct more tests in an F2007 to further assess his fitness, having been denied an opportunity to test a 2009 F60.

Update: Luca Badoer wil take Massa’s place at Valencia

Read more: Who will take Massa’s place at Valencia?

More on Michael Schumacher

172 comments on Michael Schumacher cancels F1 return

1 4 5 6
  1. taurus said on 11th August 2009, 19:45

Sod Schumacher!!

I’m gonna be cheering Badoer to the rafters if he’s anywhere near the points, if he gets on the podium I’ll go mental!

Bad-o-er! Bad-o-er! Bad-o-er!

2. Net Sticks said on 11th August 2009, 19:50

I also would like to see his return to see him make an ass of himself.

But he proved yet again the needy coward he is – how many newspaper sheets, web pages were written about this – all to bust his ego. No trip’s over. No need to actualy do it.

To prove also the stupidity Ferrari has been showing us for some time, they go and pick Badoer and not Gene to driver Massa’s car… I’m thinking he will have neck pains at the end of the Valencia GP also…

The man maybe a very good test driver, but the is older than Gene, did very few GPs all in 3rd rate teams…

Well, lets look at this from the good angle – more points from McLaren :)

3. Sean, I want you to know that at least one person read that entire comment. Waiting for the movie version now. (Agreed, BTW).

4. theRoswellite said on 11th August 2009, 20:01

Boy, the guy has starpower…but all stars are just suns, and his having previously set we really could only expect to see him Q’ing up behind Kimi and running midfield. Anything else would be an unreasonable expectation.

But with Luca we get a guy who can hoist himself out of a distinction he certainly can do without (the unpoint guy).

Come race day my attention and hopes will be riding with the “other” guy in red.

5. Austin said on 11th August 2009, 21:48

Well apparently Badoer hasn’t driven the F60 round a track either link and with him out of F1 longer than Schumacher, what chance has he got. I have a feeling this will not go well at Valencia for Badoer. I can see him at the back of the pack and maybe even worse lapped by most of the cars. Like Schumacher, I believe he hasn’t driven Valencia either. He’s caught his comeback sort of at the right time though as the F60 is getting up to speed, he’s got that in his favour, but its still not a winning car yet. It will be interesting to see what he can do with a front running car after driving for mediocre teams in the past. Can he finally score a point in F1? Probably what got him the drive was his Le Mans win this year, but F1 is a different ballgame altogether. For Schumacher I saw this coming as soon as they announced his comeback, frankly he was never going to make it with his neck injury, but it was good publicity to get tickets sold, so in the end Bernie wins again without a race even starting.

6. ‘That is why my neck cannot stand the extreme stresses caused by Formula 1 yet’ yet? hoping to return next year then? back with Ross? Hmmmmm

7. HounslowBusGarage said on 11th August 2009, 22:35

Well I sort of sympathise with the old fella.
    You can imagine how it went at Chez Schumacher.
    Corinna: “You race, I break your neck!”
    Michael: “Liebchen, be reasonable. How can I tell them that my wife won’t let me race?”
    Corinna flies through the air, delivering a Bruce Lee Special to her husband’s neck. “Ha!”
    Corinna: “You tell them, if you race your neck will break some more.”

Then again, I have great sympathy with the idea that this was a publicity stunt to sell more seats at Valencia after the ban on Alonso and Renault. Here are verbatim transcripts of conversations that Bernie *might* have had

Bernie: “He’s banned who? For a Spanish race? For crying out loud! Does Max know who their main driver is?”
    Bernie phones Valencia ticket office.
    Bernie: “Hi, how’s it going? How many tickets have you sold so far? Oh. And for the main stand? And are they both sitting together, or are the separate fans? Oh. Oh dear. Okay. Yes I know who Alonso drives for. Well, that’s Max for you!”
    “S**t.”
    Now he calls Ferrari.
    Bernie: “Luca! How’s the diminutive Brazilian? Ok. Ok, so he’s taller than me! How is he? Oh, okay. How long will Big Tall Felipe be out for? That long? Well I think Badoer, don’t you? But wait, I’ve got an idea to get Ferrari worldwide headlines for a month! Yes, of course you need them! Listen . . . . . . and then you get Michael to withdraw and get Badoer into the car instead! Because once the dim public have bought the seats, they can’t ‘un-buy’ them can they? And everyone will be watching Valencia to see Badoer fail. Yes, I know Luca, but he hasn’t raced for ten years. Ok. All right, whatever you say so he’ll come second after Kimi. And beat both Williams. Okay Luca. They won’t finish – I’ll take care of Ross’s boys, don’t worry. Yes okay, and the Red Bulls. Bye Luca!”

This has been a work of pure fiction. any resembelance of any character or event to any living person or event is purely coincidental. Objects may be closer than they appear in the mirror. Warning, coffee may be hot. May contain nuts.

8. Come on guys’ give him a break-Stefano Domenicali
    We can’t all win all the time…Remember, failure is part of success, right?

9. Melanie said on 12th August 2009, 5:28

Ferrari have already stated that they will stop development on this year’s car. The car also isn’t particularly fast, Mclaren, Red Bull and properly William are faster, Renault’s updates also seem to be faster although the opportunity haven’t really presented itself to show their pace. One thing is certain, it will be a very demanding job to be a Ferrari driver for the rest of the season, it will properly also be difficult to score points.

10. anirudh said on 12th August 2009, 8:26

sad

11. Huzzy said on 12th August 2009, 10:36

its sad that schmi not de anymore we were looking forward for it..they is always a next time..

1 4 5 6