F1 2009 by Codemasters: first video

Codemasters have released the first video of their forthcoming Formula 1 game “F1 2009″ for the Nintendo Wii.

They have also confirmed that the version of the game sold for the Nintendo Wii will come with a special F1 steering wheel-style adaptor for the controller. There are no new details on the Sony PSP version.

It’s good to know a new official F1 game is finally on its way – the last such game featured the 2006 season. I’d rather see what a version for PC, Playstation 3 or Xbox 360 would look like – i.e., something with a bit more processing punch than a Wii. We’ll hopefully get to see that version of the game in 2010.

Are you planning to buy F1 2009 for the Wii?

Press release

F1 2009, the official game of the 2009 FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP??, is set to deliver an even more authentic experience for gamers as Codemasters?? today announced that a limited edition Race Wheel accessory, styled after the steering wheel of a FORMULA ONE car, will ship with the Wii?? edition in select territories??.

Images released today show the F1 2009 bundle box and the exclusive white Race Wheel, which the Wii Remote slots into, enabling players to steer FORMULA ONE cars in the game like their heroes. The news comes ahead of the 2009 FORMULA 1 TELEF?ǣNICA GRAND PRIX OF EUROPE in Valencia this coming weekend (August 23rd) and the circuit is featured in the first F1 2009 gameplay video released today. Packed with race action from the Valencia street circuit, playable for the first time in F1 2009 complete with unique swing bridge, the Valencia video is available from www.formula1-game.com.

F1 2009 will offer a fully authentic FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP experience with all the teams, drivers, cars and tracks from the enthralling 2009 season. Due for release this autumn, F1 2009 on the Wii version will set new standards for racing immersion and authenticity while remaining accessible for the entire family and the PSP version will allow fans the opportunity to enjoy the world?s most thrilling and glamorous sport on the move.

?? Race Wheel to be available with F1 2009 at launch except in North America and Japan.

132 comments on F1 2009 by Codemasters: first video

1 2 3 4
  1. samindenver said on 19th August 2009, 10:04

hopefully the ones for PC and PS3 will have graphics close to GT5 standards… the graphics from the demo is not quite what i expected from a 2009 game

but great to hear that an official F1 game is coming!!

• TommyB said on 19th August 2009, 13:03

The Wii is always going to be more about game play rather than graphics. I can’t wait for it!!! :)

The PS3 and Xbox ones are delayed because they will look AMAZING.

2. Looks kinda wierd. I’ve got a Wii and I will buy this game but something just looks a bit grainy with the graphics, the suspension movement looks especially strange in one shot and from the look of it it might be a bit ‘arcade-y’ for most die hard F1 fans.

Hope I’m wrong though.

• mp4-19b said on 19th August 2009, 11:40

i seriously suggest you not to buy this, its waste of money. i would be prudent if you donate that sum for some charity, not this crap game.

• TommyB said on 19th August 2009, 13:31

The Wii game will be fun. The console isn’t about amazing graphics. If you want that why not just use rfactor anyway?

• Sush Meerkat said on 19th August 2009, 13:49

The profits from this game will fund the PS3 and XBOX360 versions of next years game.

It looks grainy because its being shown on an LCD TV, if you play on CRT the graphics should be bettter (odd I know)

• sato113 said on 19th August 2009, 11:52

its designed for the wii. thats why it doesn’t look that great. thats why it looks arcade-y. wii games are all just meant to be fun and not to hardcore.

• sato113 said on 19th August 2009, 11:52

its designed for the wii. thats why it doesn’t look that great. thats why it looks arcade-y. wii games are all just meant to be fun and not too hardcore.

3. Robert McKay said on 19th August 2009, 10:20

It looks about as good as I’d expect from the Wii but I’m betting the control system is horrible, whether you’re using the nunchuk/remote or the wheel.

Think the Xbox/PS versions should be considerably better.

• ajokay said on 19th August 2009, 19:36

They better provide options to use the Wii Classic Controller and/or GameCube controller. They’re far better than using the Wiimote as a steering wheel.

I’ll most likely buy this to tide me over until 2010 comes out for the 360 next year. THey graphic look pretty smart for the Wii. Not amazing, but then the Wii doesn’t produce as amazing graphics for realistic-type games as the 360 or PS3 do.

• TommyB said on 20th August 2009, 17:45

They will. It’ll be the same control methods as mario kart.

“Multiple control setups: Five fully customisable control schemes, including Wii Wheel and Logitech steering wheel support.”

4. Robert McKay said on 19th August 2009, 10:22

Also, interesting to see how they handle KERS and adjustable front wings…

• mp4-19b said on 19th August 2009, 11:44

its all bogus. this game or arcade shall i say, will never be as good as rfactor. actually very few people know the fact that kers can be replicated in rfactor & f1c to an extent. by the looks of it, i expect the physics to be horrible. plz don’t buy it.

• TommyB said on 19th August 2009, 13:33

Plz don’t buy it?

Why?

It’ll be fun. Yes rfactor is the best game and its not meant to be that. It’s a wii game it’s what you expect it’ll be a fun game that everyone can play.

• Mark Hitchcock said on 19th August 2009, 19:20

Exactly.
          If you’re urging people not to buy this because it isn’t rfactor then I hope you’re gonna tell them not to buy the xbox/ps3 versions. They won’t touch rfactor either when it comes to physics.

• ajokay said on 19th August 2009, 19:38

SOmething tells me it’s not supposed to be as good as rFactor. I’m not a fan of rFactor because i’m not a mechanic, nor do i ever want to be. I just want to be able to drive a car in a racing game. I’ve tried rFactor, and all the physics modelling seems all a bit off to me.

• TommyB said on 19th August 2009, 23:06

Exactly, rfactor is SO difficult to just pick up and play and not get completely destroyed by every other player. This wii game will be a game you can play with anyone – f1 fan/mechanic or not. This is exactly what the wii is intended for.

ITS NOT TRYING TO BE RFACTOR! STOP COMPARING IT TO RFACTOR!

5. Tombong said on 19th August 2009, 10:34

Hope that the 360 version a lot more better in the graphics departement! i mean look at Forza Motorsport 3

• Robert said on 19th August 2009, 11:06

Forza 3 looks amazing, i think it said in a video that McLaren are helping them with aerodynamics.

• ajokay said on 19th August 2009, 19:39

Can’t wait for Forza 3. It’s going to be a lot of fun. The newly re-modelled career mode sounds excellent, and I can’t wait to get my hands on the livery editor.

• James_mc said on 20th August 2009, 18:52

Going by their car for most of the year, the game’s going to be guff! :)

6. GeeMac said on 19th August 2009, 10:35

Something that has always frustrated me about F1 games in the past (on all formats) is the fact that the cars always seem to perform in exactly the same way.

I really hope the next F1 game has genuine performance differences between all the cars. They can make all the cars in Forza Motorsport and Grand Tourismo feel different, why can they not seem to do it in F1 games!

If they don’t I look forward to being Force India’s first world champion!

7. Dear Formula 1 (Max and Bernie),

Develop an F1 simulator with options that make it both the most visual pleasing and fun racing videogame on the planet (arcade mode), while at the same time allowing hardcore fans to tweak all the specs (simulator mode). You have more money than god, so write a blank check to developers. If you’re really smart, you’ll include a couple of American oval tracks like Indianapolis and Daytona, so that young, impressionable American racing fans can see what these cars are actually capable of in comparison with NASCAR cars. Release the game yearly in February to get fans fired up for the upcoming season. Make your game an essential companion to Gran Turismo or Forza. Do that, and I guarantee you’ll have a dedicated fan base in the United States, and pretty much everywhere else.

P.S.

A release on the Wii should come a year after a release on the 360/PS3, not the other way around.

Thanks.

• GeeMac said on 19th August 2009, 10:51

I couldn’t agree more!

• DanThorn said on 19th August 2009, 10:57

Have you heard of rFactor for the PC? It errs more on the side of simulation but can be set up so that it drives in a more arcade style, and there are a whole host of free 3rd party mods for it, including quite a few F1 seasons. It’s a fantastic game!

• Chalky said on 19th August 2009, 12:19

The Wii must be the easiest console to get the game up and running on.

Remember that the game will not differ too much between platforms. All cross platform games have the same underlying code C++. The developer then just pushes the code through a different compiler to get the working results.

Yes the PS3 \ XBOX have different hardware and some extra work is needed to optimize the code for the memory and graphics management, but I would not expect any gameplay or GUI differences between each platform.

In the end if you are interested in this for PS3 etc, see if you can experience it on the Wii and then just imagine some better graphics. If it’s arcade like on the Wii, it’ll be arcade on the PS3 \ XBOX etc. As much as I wish otherwise.

• graigchq said on 19th August 2009, 13:33

lol – you read the piece on Bit-Tech yesterday about this didn’t you :P

i agree with most points, this won’t be a real sim game, the wii can’t handle the physics or the graphics.

The PC/PS3/Xbox version will be a whole lot better, think DiRT, GRiD and GTR-Evo all combined into the best looking and best performing F1 sim to date.

The last decent one was F1 ’97 on the playstation 1, i challenge anyone to find a better one.

• Chalky said on 19th August 2009, 13:47

Close. I’ve got friends who work in the industry as programmers. Not for codemasters though.

• DanThorn said on 19th August 2009, 16:26

I preferred the original Formula 1 on the PSX, based on the 95 season. The cars in F1 97 seem a lot harder to drive.
          After that they got progressively worse, though F1: Championship Edition on the PS3 is actually pretty good.

• ajokay said on 19th August 2009, 19:46

Grand Prix 4 on the PC was a pretty darn good F1 game.

And anyway… good graphics alone don’t make something a simulator. Early flight simulators had basic 3D graphics, but the controls and the feedback from the cockpit were all representative of the actual plane, hence a simulator. And football management ‘simulators’ today have hardly any graphics at all outside of a glorified MS Access database. This game may well have the nuances of F1 physics down to a tee. Just because it’s not pushing as many polys as the 360 and PS3 versions will, won’t make it any less a simulator.

8. http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=373815

Codemasters Forum. I got first comment there. We all saw the video yesterday:). Pictures on the forum too.

9. newdecade said on 19th August 2009, 10:51

It actually looks quite similar to F1 world grand prix, on N64 all those years ago… I know the wii isn’t designed to be a heavyweight console, or even middle, but games like this really show that the hardware is at least half a decade obsolete.

10. Looks like it will be another ‘arcade’ style racer.

What I’m waiting for is an F1 game to match the Geoff Crammond/Microprose series in terms of detail and immersion. One of the chief reasons for me getting the original XBox was that GP4 was going to be released on it (until it was canned).

Granted, tinkering around with brake bias, wing adjustments and tyre pressures are probably not of interest to people who just want a racing game, but I used to love the hours spent tinkering with the car during practice and qualifying and even would run full race distances. I was never able to do that with the Playstation F1 games, just didn’t have the patience to handle cars that floated on the track.

Regarding GeeMac’s comment, I always thought it was nice to be able to take a car (such as a Force India) and race it with the big boys, but it would be good to have pros/cons to each car (Macs having a better KERS / Boost, while Red Bull having a better aero package but not as quick to accellerate). What would be even better would be to have the track conditions affect the performance of the cars/drivers, so if it was hotter, the Brawns would be better… maybe even take the level of detail down to if Kimi isn’t running near the front he just trundles around before putting up a new lap record on the last couple of laps…

• GeeMac said on 19th August 2009, 11:40

I have personally always loved racing Arrows and Minardi’s in previous F1 games,but the point I tried to make (maybe I wasn’t clear enough) is that it is not quite as satisfying winning a race in them if you know that your Arrows performs in exactly the same way as the front running cars.

What about including a request for a career mode similar to the one you got in “F1 Carrer Challenge 2002″?

• stjoslin said on 19th August 2009, 11:48

To be fair I don’t think the Wii version or PSP version are pretending to be anything other than Arcade games as they don’t have the capacity to be a simulator style games. That is what the PS3 and Xbox will be.

Most people that own a Wii are generally looking to have fun rather than simulation games on that platform.

11. JoshH said on 19th August 2009, 11:05

What’s with all the cars power-sliding around the corners!? It’s not drift or rally for goodness sakes!!

• mp4-19b said on 19th August 2009, 11:32

really horrible, these guys are only good at designing arcade style games. the best simulator to date is rfactor. the designers of rfactor ISI, were previously designing military simulation softwares, that is the reason why its so good.

• stjoslin said on 19th August 2009, 11:51

That’s my only complaint from what I can see, I don’t like seeing the wheel spin smoke every corner. They introduced that to the PS3 version and it make it look a bit silly.

However I hope because this is not the full simulation game that the wheel spin and power drifts are in there to make it look more exciting to the casual gamer.

I don’t want to see that in the full Xbox PS3 version

12. This looks pretty naff.

I used to play Geoff Crammond’s Grand Prix and Grand Prix 2 when I had a PC, steering wheel, pedals and no girlfriend. Pounding round circuits for hours on end trying to get the set up right and then go racing, qualify on pole, and then get shunted off at the first corner. Great fun

I even used to have Geoff Crammond’s early racing creation, Revs, which I had for the BBC model B computer. Now them were the days. None of this steering wheel nonsense, just loads of finger control. I remember that you had to use your thumb for pressing the space bar in order to turn the steering wheel right over to get round very tight corners.

• John H said on 19th August 2009, 17:59

I had Revs too for my BBC B. Years ahead of its time. My mate had the extra track pack bit I couldn’t afford to buy it and it wouldn’t copy :<

Happy days!

• It was years ahead of its time. Considering the size of the programme (just a few kbits of memory) I think Revs was impressive. And then when Crammond released GP, I feel, he was setting the standard for racing simulations.

13. Lustigson said on 19th August 2009, 11:26

If the racing in the video is anything to go by, maybe watching others play the game is more exciting than the actual thing. ;-)

14. mp4-19b said on 19th August 2009, 11:28

i’m sorry to say this. it sucks!!! the graphics look very outdated, i mean it doesn’t look like a 2009 game, looks like a badly created mod for f1c. i’m so fortunate to have come across rfactor. its the best ever f1 simulator, used along with motec gives me the ultimate formula one experience. i have to say codemasters have failed miserably. nothing can beat rfactor. moreover the 09 cars look ugly.

rfactor+ctdp2006+fsone08+motec telemetry+g25 steering=ultimate f1 experience.

has rob dougan licensed out his score “clubbed to death” to FOM & codemasters?? the background music sounded very similar to clubbed to death. if not then dougan must file a lawsuit against bernie & max. just give them a taste of their own medicine.

• Robert said on 19th August 2009, 11:54

How much does rfactor cost?

• mp4-19b said on 19th August 2009, 12:05

its free if u know where to download it :)

• bpacman said on 19th August 2009, 13:11

rFactor can be a bit daunting to newcomers. My advice would be to buy a version of the 2008 Special Edition (with the BMW Sauber car on the box) off eBay for £5-£10 and then go to rFactorcentral.com (soon to become simraceway.com) and using the drop down menu to download Cars > Open Wheelers > FS2008. Then download the F12009 Track Pack. If you need any help just head to the forums on that site. After that, sit back and wave goodbye to any remaining free time!

• mp4-19b said on 19th August 2009, 13:27

racers who have a fair bit of experience with F1C will find rfactor seemingly easy to adapt. Both the games were developed by ISI. bascially the user interfaces, vehicle setup, game controls are very similar. only big difference is the game physics & graphics. rfactor uses gmotor2.0, same engine as simbin’s GTR2. Its an award winning graphics engine.

i would be glad to help out anyone having queries about rfactor & its mods.

• Ned Flanders said on 19th August 2009, 14:02

I bought the 2008 BMW Rfactor but it doesn’t work on my laptop. Is that the actual game, or do I have to buy something else to make it work?

• John H said on 19th August 2009, 18:01

I would recommend Rfactor only if you have a suitable analogue input, which of course you should have if you’re serious about these things.

The sound in Rfactor isn’t too great either to be honest, but other than that it’s pretty faultless.

• Chalky said on 19th August 2009, 12:59

£9.49 according to Play.com
        Bargain really.

• TommyB said on 19th August 2009, 13:52

Just download it then buy the full version its amazing. Don’t try going straight to F1 cars though its really difficult

• mp4-19b said on 19th August 2009, 15:00

@ Ned Flanders

no, please don’t go about wasting your precious money. what exactly is the error message you get?

• Austin said on 19th August 2009, 18:10

mp4-19b, That Logitech G25 Steering wheel you’ve got isn’t cheap. £170 from Comet, cheapest online price £140 from Ebuyer. Had a look on ebay and there really not any cheaper than Ebuyer. I fancy getting one for my ps3/pc. I’m currently using a MS sidewinder ff wheel. Is the G25 the best ff steering wheel + pedal combo money can buy? Would love to get a racing seat to go with it, but can’t afford that yet.

• mp4-19b said on 19th August 2009, 18:38

i wish i could help you regarding this wheel, your best bet would be the momo which costs around 95$ i believe. It is common belief that momo is the best steering out there when you are using cars based on h-pattern gears. its definitely 2nd best to the g25. is way good compared to any MS wheel. especially if u fine tune ur FFB algorithms.

15. Seriously underwhelmed by this trailer. The graphics make baby Jesus cry, horrible grey, box-y mess – though perhaps that has more do with being set in Valencia?

1 2 3 4