European Grand Prix qualifying (pictures)

Heikki Kovalainen blasts along the waterfront during qualifying

Heikki Kovalainen blasts along the waterfront during qualifying

After a wretchedly dull race last year, Valencia isn’t the most popular stop on the F1 calendar with fans.

But one a sunny day with some interesting scenery there’s a lot to like about the place. Have a look at these colourful pictures from today’s qualifying action.

More F1 pictures

Images (C) Ferrari spa, Brawn GP, Renault/LAT, Williams/LAT, Bridgestone, www.mclaren.com, Getty Images/Red Bull, Force India F1 Team, Toyota F1 World, BMW ag, Daimler

22 comments on European Grand Prix qualifying (pictures)

1. Wesley said on 22nd August 2009, 21:03

Eric Clapton and Luca Badoer?

Slow Hand and the Slow Man.

Sorry :P

2. Shagrathian (@shagrathian) said on 22nd August 2009, 22:04

Great, as always. Thank you, Keith!

3. D Winn said on 22nd August 2009, 22:07

Is it my eyes or – on the Brawn and Force India – are the small vertical plates, inside the front wing endplates different on left/right –
    One appears with a convex edge, the other looks concave.

4. Lucas said on 22nd August 2009, 23:14

Stunning pictures Keith! But I think photo #5 wrongly labelled as Vettel. That’s the STR4 of Alguersuari. Good stuff! :)

5. craig said on 22nd August 2009, 23:17

I’m sure Valencia is a lovely city, but the background in these shots gives me nothing to want to visit this city. I was so happy that a European track was added to the calender, but it is hard for me to feel upbeat about this circuit.

Let’s hope for a good race tomorrow.

6. Oliver said on 23rd August 2009, 1:40

I quite agree with this article. Last year Valencia turned out to be a shock. It seemed like we were all rounded up and taken to prison. :-) Perhaps we were expecting something to rival or surpass Monaco, that as such our minds were already biased.
    The layout of the circuit and its path along the water front does look great. The only real factor against the place is that there just seems to be no life there, its almost a ghost town. The is however the odd chance that had it been a residential area, we would have had that odd law suit by those anti noise pollution individuals.

7. I’ve just noticed that all of the Robert Kubica pics are labelled as “Williams” Hopefully that’s a typo and i’m not behind on the news lol.

8. Macca said on 23rd August 2009, 6:25

I’d love to know where you source your pictures from Keith, there great.

9. Matt said on 23rd August 2009, 6:25

Any photos of the hotties watching from that balcony that they showed a few times during qualifying coverage? Only thing to get me excited about the venue

10. Some really great pics here Keith, thanks. What is your source?

Btw, agree with @Matt’s comments above – those birds were sensational – and didn’t they know it :)

11. I have had an unexpected invitation to the paddock club of Valencia GP.

Boxes view, is great, and I have done some pics but with a crappy Iphone, so the quality is not good enough to be near of those ones.

Anyway, I saw Vettel yesterday just before qualy, and I’m impressed about his look…

He’s looks just as a baby! Much more younger than he already is!

12. Hallard said on 24th August 2009, 20:45

That picture of Bernie and Badoer looks a little awkward to me…

13. Does anyone know where I can get/watch the coverage of the qualifying from Valencia? I was there and want to see all the action I missed from the stand. Thanks!

14. staurt said on 6th October 2009, 14:44

no he dose not go frirey will win yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee we win win win win win