Rate the race: European Grand Prix

Last year’s European Grand Prix was rated the worst of the season. Was this year’s instalment any better?

Rate the European Grand Prix out of 10 and have your say about the race below.

Rate the 2009 European Grand Prix out of 10

• 1 - Terrible (4%)
  • 2 - Rubbish (4%)
  • 3 - Boring (15%)
  • 4 - Often tedious (9%)
  • 5 - A bit dull (16%)
  • 6 - Not bad (20%)
  • 7 - Good (18%)
  • 8 - Great (9%)
  • 9 - Fantastic (3%)
  • 10 - Perfect (2%)

Total Voters: 2,219

Loading ... Loading ...

99 comments on Rate the race: European Grand Prix

1. Even Ben Edwards would have had trouble commentating & making this one sound exciting :)

2. Was actually a very good and interesting race. Was certainly better than last year!

3. gabal said on 23rd August 2009, 16:49

I voted Boring – I think I’ll stop watching GP2 races before F1 race as without it I can think that overtaking on such track is impossible…

This is alongside with Bahrain worst race of the season so far.

4. I thought it was a decent race. Barrichello and Hamilton had a good battle. A safety car would have made things more interesting though.

5. mp4-19b said on 23rd August 2009, 16:56

actually i believe Singapore’s track layout is as useless as valencia, just coz its run under the lights it’s said to be great & everything. actually without piquet’s crash & massa’s pitstop blunder the race there would have been just like the race here at valencia.

• Dave-J199 said on 23rd August 2009, 17:09

On the bright side at least Singapore has bumbs in the breaking zones and hard kerbs.

Oh hang on… Had

6. Andy A said on 23rd August 2009, 17:11

Was it just me, or the summer F1 break, but boy Jonathan Leg-End’s commentary was really irritating me today. Please somebody shut him up!!!

Unfortunately, I do want to hear Martin Brundle, so switching the commentary to 5Live (or no commentary) is not a good option.

7. The interest today came mostly from blunders and strategy rather than on track racing. That doesn’t bode well in my book.

I think it looks a cool place but the circuit is very boring, lacks character. I would have thought if they wanted to they could make some major changes to the circuit layout, barriers and track landscaping to make for a more interesting race that would allow more overtaking. So rather than ditch Valencia all together I would like major track changes.

8. Bit disappointed Lewis did’nt win. The team lost it for him. But 2nd is better than no points, he would have settled for 2nd during the lean times. So well done to Lewis. I really like Kovi, but he has to go, what a disappointment. Since Lewis is not going to win the championship. I’ll be rooting for Ruben’s, well done to him, hope he can pull it off.

9. Aardvark said on 23rd August 2009, 18:11

A popular result, nice work by Rubens and Kimi. That was as exciting as a strategic race gets (not very).
    But mostly it was a gridful of wusses who only try to pass when told to, on a track that badly needs a passing place added somewhere in the first half of the lap.

10. Hazel said on 23rd August 2009, 18:29

I actually think it was an ok race, although i did have a bet on with my friend that lewis wouldnt win the race so that probably made the hamilton – Barrichello battle more interesting… It would have been better if they had brought out a safety car after Nakajimas incident.

11. J-Canada said on 23rd August 2009, 19:02

Yes the race was a bit dull. I was happy to see Kimi produce a very solid drive. And how about Rosberg! He’s been stringing together some very good finishes lately-very nice to see!

12. Terrible: The same score as I gave the race at the Nurburgring but I wish I’d scored that race higher as this was much much more boring, probably the worst race I’ve seen since the Schumacher years which is ironic as if he had raced here it would have been more interesting!!

13. I thought it was a good race. To me it seemed to be at the same point of most F1 Races. Little to no overtakeing. And the race was decided in the pits by a mistake. I am glad to see RB win after 5 year drought.

14. Ned Flanders said on 23rd August 2009, 20:50

I simply cannot believe that, at the time of writing, 195 people thought that the race was good

15. I voted 3 for boring. This race was a snooze fest. I was asleep by about halfway through, after all it was 11pm where I live.

The problem is the track in my opinion, it’s just not very good. It’s too wide to be a street circuit, but yet there is no passing, there is also too much run off for a street circuit. One of the main appeals, from a spectator point of view is that typically a street circuit is less forgiving.

There is also no atmosphere, everytime the TV footage crossed to the people in the pool at the top of a building watching the race, they looked like they were about to fall asleep.