Belgian Grand Prix: Rate the race

Kimi Raikkonen returns to the top step of the podium, Giancarlo Fisichella grabs a first point – and seven more – for Force India, and Rubens Barrichello finishes seventh in a bonfire.

What did you think of the Belgian Grand Prix? Rate the race and leave a comment below.

Rate the 2009 Belgian Grand Prix out of ten

• 10 - Perfect (13%)

Total Voters: 2,271

Loading ... Loading ...

86 comments on Belgian Grand Prix: Rate the race

1. 10, amazing Kimi.

2. Patrickl said on 30th August 2009, 15:25

Lol, I thought this race was pretty boring. Lots of mistakes, poor driving and crashes.

Is this race cool because the result was something noone would have predicted up front (or at least Fisichella’s position)?

• Ned Flanders said on 30th August 2009, 15:33

Yeah exactly, swap Fisichella for Webber, for eg, and that race would have been quite ordinary. But to be fair it was a lot better than the last 8 races

• Hakka said on 30th August 2009, 15:33

Lots of mistakes, poor driving and crashes.

You make it sound like that’s a bad thing! :D

3. Gusto said on 30th August 2009, 15:31

Just watching Formula Renault at Silverstone, first 5 laps had more action than the F1 season so far.

4. The race was great, there is a great way to tell – the quicker it goes by the better it is, valencia just seems to go on although obviously you still want to watch, today, it felt like only 10mins had passed and thats due to total engrossment.

5. Grace Lovvorn said on 30th August 2009, 15:37

“Fantastic” for me! I loved this one, especially after last week’s snooze fest. The start was AMAZING, especially after Lewis and Jense crashed out along with the rookies, Grosjean and Alguersuari. During that time, the Iceman was dominating! I don’t want to sound harsh, but Fisi actually thought he could win this. Well, Kimi showed him how it was done (first lap, especially), and the KERS actually came in handy.
    So, that’s what happened pretty much throughout the race. Renault was about to get another penalty with the tires, but they were smart enough to make Fernando retire. Brawn is officially gone (and Rubens’ car is up in flames!). Button probably needs to say goodbye to the championship before he makes any more failures, and let Rubens take center stage over at Brawn. Red Bull made a decent comeback, with Vettel coming in third. Speaking of Vettel, I’ve decided that he’s going to be amazing, but just with a little more maturity and experience.
    And finally, we need to end this note with Fisi. He did great, scoring a podium finish, which are the only points Force India have gotten as long as they’ve been under the name Force India. We all know he’s toward the end of his career, but wow, he was ecstatic about that podium finish. In contrast, Kimi looked very bored as he guzzled his champagne, in the usual Kimi-fashion. But what I really want is Kimi and Fisi racing TOGETHER at Monza in two weeks. That would be awesome! Hopefully Ferrari will catch on, and get Fisi to replace Badoer in time for it. Just two more weeks, and we’ll have another amazing race. Yay!

• I don’t want to sound harsh, but Fisi actually thought he could win this. Well, Kimi showed him how it was done (first lap, especially), and the KERS actually came in handy.

Not to burst your Ferrari-bubble parade, but he didn’t show Fisichella ‘how it’s done’ until after the restart. We can only speculate as to what would have happened without a safety car, but Fisi had the undeniable pace, was slightly lighter at that stage and was a good deal ahead after les Combes…

Having said that, Kimi did a great job and deserved the win, but there is no doubt Fisi could have won this. One extra lap of fuel in the 2nd stint would most likely have handed him the victory.

• mp4-19b said on 30th August 2009, 16:10

Grace is a teen who knows her f1!! Never though american teen gals would follow f1. I was under the impression that the only gal who follows f1 in the entire state of georgia is my sister :) Glad to know there is one more now. Keep it going Grace :)

• Grace Lovvorn said on 30th August 2009, 16:30

Previously mentioned, I am a Ferrari fangirl. But THANK THANK THANK YOU mp4-19b!! Just going to get this out there: I am an average American teenage girl. If you saw me in person, you would NEVER think I woke up early (stupid time difference) on Sundays to watch (gasp!) Formula 1 and then write about it afterwards. Refer back to my old picture…I don’t look like some nerdy kid who loves F1 with all her heart. But truthfully, I am.
          Oh my gosh, more fans from Georgia? Yay! Whoever lives in the South, knows that NASCAR dominates. Although Petit Le Mans is next month, and I’m super pumped about it. But F1 is always in my heart. :)

• Where are you watching F1? On the internet or TV? I will be in Miami during the last race and I am afraid that I will not be able to watch it!

• Grace Lovvorn said on 30th August 2009, 16:51

Andy: I watch it on SPEED, whenever they’re having it live. However, this summer, they had it prerecorded on Fox. Then I watched it from the websites that are posted up on the blog during the races. I wouldn’t suggest them, though. I have an iMac, so I didn’t get any viruses, but I’m guessing a PC would get a boatload of them.
            Usually hotels have a variety of channels, but it depends. Hopefully you’ll be able to watch it. It’s absolutely necessary to watch the last race, because the next WDC doesn’t look evident anymore and they’ll be on a new circuit. That calls for excitement!

6. I voted 9, because I voted 8 for the Melbourne GP and this was definitely better, it’s the best race of the season so far. Track looks great, the cars look great on track, lots of action throughout the field and a great result, almost reminiscent of Monza’s underdog victory last year, but that wasn’t meant to be.

I was a bit dissapointed Hamilton got taken out, he would have made for some great racing, besides the need for a safety car cost Fisi the lead, along with some unfortunate strategy choices, which was also a shame.

7. Should the stewards summon Barrichello and Brawn for having run with that will-blow-up-any-second engine?
    And Kubica pitting a couple of laps before inspite of having 1 Kg more fuel than Fisi and Kimi not running longer inspite of having 7 kilos more…what could be the reason? Is that mercedes engine that efficeint?

8. Great race.

9. mp4-19b said on 30th August 2009, 16:23

I’m really hoping for Kimi to come back to mclaren. That is where he truly belongs. Its just so shallow to see him in that red car & overalls. I understand even Mika has advised heim to return back to mclaren.

10. Steph90 said on 30th August 2009, 16:25

First part of the race good action but then it dropped off abit I just think it was perhaps more enjoyable as underdogs force india could have gone for the win.
    I still think Button will win championship, in fact I can’t imagine him losing it which is incredible and very sad really how a lot of it is down to engine and car reliability.
    Great result from Kimi and a strong drive, very happy with Ferrari but for me Massa can’t come back quick enough.
    Driver of day probably Fisi and never thought I’d say that

• Ned Flanders said on 30th August 2009, 19:33

The first part of the race was good, but in the second half virtually nothing happened.

I thought the race was OK, good by recent standards, but I don’t see how that race was so unbelievably amazing as most people seem to think. Put this race in the 2008 season, and it would’ve been one of the weakest races

11. I ranked this race a 9. I don’t know what a perfect race would be.

This is what can happen when a great racetrack is made available to great drivers. Is this what we love F1 for or what?!

Look at the city tracks, ie: Valencia and the last race of the season, Abu Dahbi. (We haven’t sen a race at Abu yet but believe me, it will be real shiney, but boring.)A lot of money thrown at a “pretty” circuit and what do you get. A procession that is nothing but boring.

Spa is nothing short of majestic. And in 2 weeks another “classic” dramatic track, Monza! Lets just run all the races at Spa & Monza. :-)

Bernie, are you listening? Oh.. thats right, you always leave before the end of the race ’cause your sooo busy.

12. David A said on 30th August 2009, 17:01

9/10, delighted that Kimi and Ferrari won. I’m really happy for Force India, and their pace kept the battle for the lead compelling throughout. Kudos to Vettel for recovering 3rd. BTW had Force India won, Toyota would have been the only team on the current grid that had never won a race.

13. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 30th August 2009, 17:02

I gave it eight – plenty of interest, some proper racing, would have been excellent if Vettel had caught the leaders at the end.

14. gabal said on 30th August 2009, 17:03

I voted 8 – I would probably give more but I watched GP2 race before it which I watched on the edge of the seat whole race. It was that exciting.

We saw overtaking up and down the field, we saw OVERTAKING FOR LEAD (that happens once in a blue moon this year), field was incredibly close and there wasn’t a dull moment in race. Spa – what a fantastic race-track…

15. marcus said on 30th August 2009, 17:12

Driver of the day: Kimi. 2nd best (by a mile): GF. Deserving of a mention: Vettel, Kovalainen, & Webber. Why are you paid so much?: Hamilton + Alonso.

My top 3 dream teams for Ferrari 2010: