Did Piquet crash on purpose? (Poll)

Nelson Piquet Jnr's crash helped Fernando Alonso win in Singapore

Nelson Piquet Jnr's crash helped Fernando Alonso win in Singapore

After the Singapore Grand Prix last year there were some people who asked if Nelson Piquet Jnr crashed deliberately but many others – myself included – who rubbished the idea.

But the FIA believes it is worth investigating and has launched a World Motor Sports Council hearing into the affair. So how many people believe Renault are guilty?

Do you believe Nelson Piquet Jnr was told to crash by Renault?

• No (40%)
  • Don't know (21%)

Total Voters: 3,343

Loading ... Loading ...

I didn’t believe the claims about Piquet straight after the race because they just seemed too incredible. But it’s hard to imagine a WMSC hearing being called without some evidence being presented.

I would be very surprised if this evidence hasn’t come from the Piquet camp. As F1 Fanatic reader Paolo Verri pointed out to me in an email recently, Piquet hinted at strange goings-on when he blasted Briatore after being dorpped by Renault:

The conditions I have had to deal with during the last two years have been very strange to say the least ?ǣ there are incidents that I can hardly believe occurred myself.

Renault has said it will not comment on the matter before the hearing on September 21st. It wouldn’t be a surprise if bits of information started to appear in the Brazilian press between now and then.

Until we see some evidence it’s still too much for me to believe (a) that Renault would do something like this, (b) they left some kind of incriminating evidence and (c) Piquet was able to crash an F1 car on purpose more convincingly than Michael Schumacher did at Monte-Carlo in 2006.

That’s my take. What’s yours?

Who was involved? Did Fernando Alonso know? And what do we make of Piquet spinning on the warm-up lap before the race?

The Renault Singapore controversy

208 comments on Did Piquet crash on purpose? (Poll)

1. Carl27 said on 5th September 2009, 19:48

If this incident is found to be true, wouldn’t Piquet Jr has some punishment? He certanintly put at risk not only his life (I know controlled eviroment…) but other drivers lives. In court If I ask you to robber a bank and you do it, aren’t you guilty of robbery? Anyone can answer this questions? Thanks fanatics.

• HounslowBusGarage said on 5th September 2009, 23:15

What kind of punishment would that be?
      Loss of all points scored in the 2009 season?
      He scored points in 2008 Germany and is still eligible for a seat in 2010, so for a punishment to be actually felt by Piquet Jr it would need to be removal of points on 2008 and 2009, plus removal of superlicense for 2010.
      Likely?

• mp4-19b said on 6th September 2009, 5:52

If there is a provision under Singaporean law,Piquet could possibly be booked for:-

Crashing deliberately, endangering his own life, which can be treated as ‘Attempt To Suicide”

• mp4-19b said on 6th September 2009, 6:11

Yep, i agree with you bus. Merely stripping him of the points he scored in 08 & 09 wouldn’t possibly teach him a lesson. That kind of punishment is useless as we’ve seen it with cheating schumi. He was stripped of all his points in 97, but he continued to cheat until his very last season in 06.

Very long ago a journalist once asked Piquet Sr as to why he punched Eliseo Salazar in the 1982 German gp. Piquet sr replied by saying ” So that he(Salazar) learns”

Piquet Sr being a ‘good’ father must punch his son straight in the face so that he lears not to “lie” when he fails ;)

2. Phil T said on 5th September 2009, 21:21

Would`nt Massa have won anyway, but for the pit lane cock up ? did Flav have control of Ferrari`s traffic light system too ?

3. it says in the times that Piquet was asking what lap he was on in the laps leading up to the crash. now i can understand a driver near the end of the monaco grand prix asking what lap he was on but i can’t understand a driver asking this question less that 10 laps into a race where his own pit stop was not till the mid way point of the race.

4. Night before Race.

Flavio-” Crash at Turn 17, Lap 13 ”

Piq Jnr-” OK ”

Remember, the secret to cheating at Poker is not to deal yourself a Royal Flush, but a succesion of Kings and Aces.

• Sorry, should of been `The exit of turn 17, as there are no cranes their to allow quick clearance of YOUR Car`.

• Formation Lap. Nelsinho spins. Radio transmission recorded (and currently available to Quest):

FB: “Damm God! Nelsinho, I told you: Turn 17, Lap 13, not Turn 13, Lap 17!”

NP(Jr): “Ok, Ok, Turn 17… Lap 13… err… including formation lap, or not?

FB: “Pay attention Nelsinho, when the moment arrive, I will tell you:The Dogs barks”

NP(Jr): “Ok, Ok. I will wait until a barking dog cross the track.”

FB: “Forget about Barking Dogs, Nelsinho, when the moment arrives I will tell you: Just do it”

NP(Jr): “Ok, Ok. Err… So I will have to do it in turn 17 or when you tell me Just do it?”

FB: “Forget it, Nelsinho, cancel everything, cancel everything. Just drive and push as mach as you can”

NP(Jr): “Ok, Ok. I will do my best, as in every race.”

FB:”Thanks, Nelsinho. Push, push, push!”

5. toncho said on 5th September 2009, 22:42

I voted no because:
    a) I do not believe ANYONE would risk an injure or worse by deliberately crashing an F1 car at top speed
    b) there was no warranty of SC
    c) even with SC, there was no warranty that FA would win d) the way things ended with his boss suggest that PIQ is just seeking revenge
    e) knowing PIQ skills is hard to belive that he managed to do that on pourpose lol

6. I don’t know….looks like the opinions are running about 50/50. I know that if it’s real it’s a bad thing, needs to be investigated and a verdict reached. If Renault were to be found guilty, what then? Fire Flavio and all or most of the engineering staff? OR throw Renault out of the WC? (1 less team….a manufacturer) Personnely I don’t think it was premeditated or contrived. Maybe I’m looking at it with rose coloured glasses.
    Bottom line is this…I think the kid, (Piquet Jr.) is too dumb to make something like this work. The fact that Massa approached Flav right after the race and accused him of this means nothing to me. Chaulk it up to a hot headed Brazilian in the heat of the moment. I think maybe Piquet Jr. or Sr. was so upset about Jr. getting canned that they shot their mouth off about something that didn’t happen and now it’s too late to back track.

7. Gerdoner,

That blew my 2 World Champs in one corner(come to think about it,they weren`t in a corner?), but Kimi weren`t quite the same afterwards…( Now there`s a conspiracy :-)

8. I voted “I don’t know”, because I think Renault (or rather Briatore) quite capable of asking him to, but I’m not convinced any driver would actually do it. It’s one thing to take a dive in boxing, but purposely crashing your car on a street circuit? I mean, keeping your drive is important to F1 drivers of course, but you have to be, you know, alive and whole to drive.

9. wong chin kong said on 6th September 2009, 2:42

I watched the video many times on Piquet Jr spinning on his warm up lap at a corner. Everybody took the corner slowly without incident yet Piquet Jr just spun his car at such incredible low speed. He recovered and drove on. Could he be practising for something? He crashed heavily in the race at high speed coming into a sharp turn, not at the same corner as he’practise’ earlier. These are the bits the investigation would be looking into.

10. A lot of people are stating that the fact that Alonso was light fueled in Singapore means he *must* have known about it. Actually, if you look back, Renault regularly light fueled Alonso last year (Catalunya springs to mind, and actually Malaysia this year as well) in the hope that he’d be able to build up a lead before having to pit. It was a gamble, which just didn’t pay off, except in Singapore. Where, if you remember correctly, Alonso was fastest in practice, and undoubtedly would have started at the front end of the grid except for a fuel problem in Q2.

Knowing that a good result was going to be hard to come by from 15th on the grid, and also knowing that it was a brand new street circuit, dark and slippery, I’d say that the chances of a safety car were pretty good. If I was the strategist at Renault, I too would have gone for an agressive strategy in the hope of taking advantage of any opportunity that came up.

While I think it was no coincident that Piquet was the one that crashed – he was known as Nelsinho “Piroutte” Piquet after all, I really can’t beleive that it was done deliberately. We’ve seen deliberate crashes before, and they look just that. Deliberate. This looked just like Nelsinho on his usual sunday drive. And really, if Nelsinho had this sort of dirt of Renault – why would they fire him? He was already criticizing the team in the press before he was given the heave-ho, so there is little doubt in my mind that if he had beans to spill, once fired he would do so.

This whole thing rings to me like a disgruntled ex-employee who having been dropped, wants his revenge on those who dropped him. Let’s not forget who his old man is, after all. I also wouldn’t be surprised at all to see the hand of S&Max in there somewhere – this has his fingerprints all over it.

And like I asked yesterday – when did everyone start taking Nelsinho so seriously? For a long time he has been regarded as a joke – yet now every word that comes out of his mouth is gospel. Makes you wonder.

And as for those who say Alonso *must* have been in on it, to you I ask – exactly when has Alonso demonstrated a ‘win at all costs’ mentality in the past?

• mp4-19b said on 6th September 2009, 5:02

S&Max

LOL :) :) !!!!!

• Patrickl said on 6th September 2009, 8:33

if you look back, Renault regularly light fueled Alonso

To get him on pole yes. Putting almost no fuel in when you start from P15 is just ridiculous.

They claimed that they were “hoping” for a safety car. Hoping or causing is then the question

That safety car would have to come out in the few laps just after Alonso pitted and before the others did. That’s a window of a few laps. Sounds silly to base your strategy on that. Unless you could somehow imrpove the odds …

Did you start watching after the 2007 season was over?

• Could you enlighten us showing when (and how) Fernando Alonso has demonstrated a “win at all costs” mentality?

Thanks

Ps: I started to watch F1 in mid 80’s.

• mp4-19b said on 6th September 2009, 9:41

IDR?? Were you born in the mid 80’s or started to watch F1 in the mid 80’s? Even a person born in the mid 80’s wouldn’t have missed the 2007 Hungarian GP qualifying ;) How would you explain this tactic by Alonso? Wasn’t it “win at all costs” mentality?

• I was born in 1961.

Old enough to not take “your pill” about 2007 Hungarian GP.

We could talk years about that, arguing each other, but I’m pretty sure I’m not going to change your mind (as you are not going to change mine as well)

So, if this is all you have, don’t waste your time. I’ll not waste mine’s (and mainly having to argue in English) :-)

• mp4-19b said on 6th September 2009, 11:57

@ IDR

Oh! I see where you come from. Never realized the fact that you were an Alonso worshiper.

Ahora sé por qué usted acobardó de este argumento :) :) :)

• Intimidated?

Ha!

Just practical approach, I realized quite clearly you are a McLaren worshiper (thanks for this new word) :-)

• mp4-19b said on 6th September 2009, 12:37

So, what’s your stand on the Hungary 2007 issue ?

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 6th September 2009, 17:09

But not unusual, other teams have done it this year.

• Coulthard, Webber and Barrichello pitted just before the safety car as well having had a free choice of strategy. Having watched the race again recently I recall that Fernando was keen to get the softer tyre out of the way while he was unable to exploit the full potential of his car, which was inevitable when stuck in 15th behind slower and probably heavier cars.

And Piquet’s a poor, accident prone driver.

Maybe that’s what happened after all :)

• Nah's said on 7th September 2009, 1:00

you watched that race again recently? how?

how can you watch pervious races on demand can someone please tell me?

11. David Drinkwater said on 6th September 2009, 6:47

Alonso is in a tricky position. lot hangs in the outcome and even then if Renault are found “not guilty” would you hire a driver who hs been involved (indirectly ?) in 2 major controversies. (Renault and Maclaren.
    Interesting to know what his relationship with Picquet is. He gave Hamilton enought grief with his flouncing attitude and now with Picquet ???
    Surely the telemetry of the Singapore incident can indicate whether the crash was self instigated .
    This would be a better indication of guilt or innocence than radio calls which could be disguised.

12. David Drinkwater said on 6th September 2009, 7:17

Actually the incident I was referring to involved the teams in that Maclaren were involved in controversy with Ferrari at the time that Alonso was driving for Maclaren. Now Aloso is driving for renault and seems once again to be involved with a team that is emboiled in controversy. I am not attaching any proven significance – merely pointing it out. I ask the question ” Wold it be wise to hire a driver that has been involved in both major “scandals” ?

But then Ferrari did continue to use Schumacker didn’t they and he was ………

• David … Drinkwater?

You clearly drink things stronger than water.

Have a cold shower and change your nick to something like “Watershower”

• Maksutov said on 6th September 2009, 15:48

David Drinkwater, i see your point, and it is interesting; I believe however that it is just a coincidence that Alonso was present and to some extent involved in both incidences, spy gate and the Nelsinho “Piroutte”… I dont think theses issues have much to do with him directly but one never knows for sure…

Schumacher is different story everything he did was done by him alone on track, and he paid severely for those mistakes as they were blatantly obvious which probably suggests that he isn’t a very good cheater..

• Martin said on 6th September 2009, 18:36

I do not believe in coincendence on this level, 1 time maybe…2 times there is a pattern here.

And your are right about schumacher.. he was caught and penalized and no one else was there to shelter him..nor did he try to involve others.

All the goings on involving alonso he has been sheltered to some extent… I think that he is no choir boy and maybe if he is proven intertwined in this soap opera that he will ultimately pay a high price. I would not want him if I owned a team if I wanted it to look as if I was a fair player.

Maybe Ron Dennis was right to have alonso leave the team…he must know something and is smiling at the current issue involving alonso.
        If I were Whitmarsh I wouldnt touch him for any price or if he paid to drive the car. They have hamilton, who has shown that he is a team player and as a rookie was the equal of alonso.

• Maksutov said on 7th September 2009, 10:17

hmmm … well, if there “is” something, these people should come forward with the information now because these issues need to be resolved soon.

I very much doubt that Alonso will be able to muddle with things at Ferrari since they usually work as a team and they all trust one another. Personally I think Alonso is a great driver, however he would not be my first pick for Ferrari since he has shown on many occasions that he is not much of a team player ,.. but its too late now Ferrari got sucked in and he will be there – maybe I am wrong and Alonso is indeed a great team player – we will find out next year or the year after.

13. A Brazilian TV reporter makes a comment during a live transmission.

Nobody (readers) knows:
    Who is the man who started all this.
    What kinds of circumstances make the FIA start an investigation hiring a high profile private investigation company (Quest).
    Who are the people involved (except Nelsinho should be in… “for sure”)
    What kind of evidences FIA has found for summoning Renault F1 Team.
    F1 Blogs and websites are publishing articles full of “What ifs” and “Allegedly”.
    None of the people (allegedly) involved have made any kind of public declaration.

And despite all this:

There is nearly a 40% of F1 fans believing a F1 Team owned by a big Car Manufacturer can behave as a Gang, ordering a driver (not a gangster) put his life (and other’s drivers life, and the life of the fans) at risk, with the blessing of the Team mate, all of this just for a bunch of points, not even a win, not to say a Championship (You all agree, Renault could not do anything to create Massa’s fuel rig problem, I hope)

In addition to that, a portion of the other 40% do not believe this, only because they think Nelsinho has not enough skill for doing this, or because they think nobody could find any track record to prove the case. So, at the end, this people also think a F1 Team could behave that way.

I’m really impressed with the low level F1 has achieved, and the disillusion of a big portion of the F1 fan base.

But what can we expect from a sport controlled (and represented) by a man with no dignity; a man who pays for obtaining personal satisfaction by punishing other human beings or for being punished by others…

• mp4-19b said on 6th September 2009, 8:58

First of all i would like to clarify my stand on this issue. I still believe majority of the Renault staff are innocent. My only problem is in the upper echelon. In particular one Mr Flavio Briatore. It wouldn’t be the first time he has employed objectionable tactics to turn things in his favor, in this case his number 1 driver. Just consider this, renault at that point in time had gone winless for almost 2 years , they also knew the fact that ING was pulling out of F1. In times of desperation you tend to do things without considering the consequences. After all Renault is a manufacturer who have with drawn from the sport twice in 1985 & 1997. Maybe the renault bosses had laid out a deadline for Flavio & his f1 team to win at least a race before the end of the season. So the only possible circuits where technical advantage would be nullified was the 2 unknown new circuits valencia & singapore. Now we all know what happened at valencia, Alonso was taken out on lap 1. Who knows what could have happened if he wasn’t taken out, maybe piquet would have crashed over the bridge or something, cuz that is the only place on the entire circuit inaccessible to cranes. So uncle Flav & Nando missed their chance at valencia. Their only other chance was singapore, but this time failure wasn’t an option. So they went for it 7 executed their plan to perfection. but i still reiterate the fact that the only conspirators were Flav,nando & Jr.

• So, if you find a person who has not make love in two years, this person is a rapist without no doubt.

but i still reiterate the fact that the only conspirators were Flav,nando & Jr.

Well, this is your wish, we all know you…

• mp4-19b said on 6th September 2009, 9:30

I didn’t get your point.

Well, this is your wish, we all know you…

It is not my wish. I don’t want the sport i love to be tarnished.

And I’m sure you don’t know me.

• Sorry, surely my English is not good enough.

You make your point based on the lack of wins of Renault in the last two years…

And yes, I’m sure also I don’t know you, only what you think about F Alonso and everything around him. :-)

• S Hughes said on 6th September 2009, 10:22

IDR, while you may think you are right and the 40% are wrong, there was a very interesting article in ‘The Official Formula 1 Review 2008′ book about the suspicions that were raised at the time of the Singapore GP by rival team strategists and drivers. I have posted it several times. You only have to get the book yourself to read it – it is a public document. While these are “only suspicions”, the F1 Guide thought they were important enough to include in the Official book. So do you think these rival team strategists and others in F1 with suspicions are similarly “at a low level”? The reason for the suspicions in the first place was the madness of the strategy which miraculously became fortuitous. Please read the passage and then say whether you think the suspicions are ridiculous.

Again, it could all be untrue, but as Joe Saward says in his blog, it should be investigated if evidence has come to light and not swept under the carpet, or is that what you would like to happen? And F1 isn’t the only sport that has dirty dealings.

• S Huges, I don’t think I’m right and the 40% are wrong. Maybe I’m wrong, who knows really. I only think it’s highly improbable.

I was trying to highlight it is really impressive how things goes in this sport to a point in wich a significant portion of people doesn’t think that kind of behaviour is highly improbable.

And (IMHO) that’s because the scandals we’ve seen during the latest years, including M Mosley case.

I’m pretty sure if, given the same circumstances, some issues come to light regarding Nadal & Federer last year Wimbledon’s final, nobody would have ticked “Yes” option.

ps: I read your comment… twice! (well, one and a half, to be honest)

• mp4-19b said on 6th September 2009, 10:51

IDR, you never answered my question!!

You asked:

Thanks

Ps: I started to watch F1 in mid 80’s.

Were you born in the mid 80’s or started to watch F1 in the mid 80’s? Even a person born in the mid 80’s wouldn’t have missed the2007 Hungarian GP qualifying ;) How would you possibly explain this tactic by Alonso? Wasn’t it “win at all costs” mentality?

• Martin said on 6th September 2009, 18:42

IDR Your comments below probably sum up the whole problem of F1.

If your leadership has no dignity or moral compass(ethically or otherwise) then why should any of the competitors have any. By competitors I mean the teams thru the drivers.

If they dont get a handle on this then they will become irrelavent.

• Hungary 2007 wasn’t a ‘win at all costs’ mentality. There is far more to that story than meets the eye, and various rumours have abounded ever since about that – including that McLaren told Alonso to delay Hamilton & then left him high & dry at the FIA hearing into the matter.

I’m not surprised you brought it up though, and seriously if that is the best you can do to convince people of Alonso’s nefarious character, you better go back to the drawing board ;)

14. danielle said on 6th September 2009, 8:12

I cant seriously believe that anyone would give credit to this. Nelson Piquet Jr spun/crashed at every track he drove on in F1…absolutely ridiculous and sour grapes by a family that seem to be doing everything they can to cause trouble for a team they did not have control over. Sucked in I say to the Piquets of this world and all this does is make everyone see them for the vindictive bunch of non-talents they really are :p

15. Hotbottoms said on 6th September 2009, 12:35

I voted no. Piquet jr isn’t much of a driver. Even though “push, Nelsinho” could have been a keyword for Piquet to crash on purpose, we all know that when he pushes it usually doesn’t end well.

I don’t get it why people keep saying he was practising on warm-up lap when he spun. He almost hit the wall on that occasion and thus he almost ruined the alleged plan before the race even started. It’s more likely he spun because he’s a bad driver.

And as stated before, if someone wants to crash deliberately spinning isn’t a good choice, because the driver can’t be sure his car hits the wall (as seen on warm-up lap).

• mp4-19b said on 6th September 2009, 12:44

if someone wants to crash deliberately spinning isn’t a good choice

But by spinning he convinced laymen that he lost control blah blah. But i still feel the best way for him to bring out the safety car was to stall the engine in the middle of the tortoise. No risk involved.

• Deliberately stalling the engine would probably have been too obvious on the telemetry. I think as Keith mentioned before, it was pretty much the perfect crash to bring out the safety car without endangering himself or arousing suspicion from the crash itself.

• Phil T said on 6th September 2009, 14:49

If it was deliberate then he did it in the best way possible, he just gave it too much power and it swapped ends. How do you stall a car that has anti-stall without making that look suspicious ?

16. I hope Ferrari get a fine for purposefully mucking up in the pits to allow Alonso to win as well…
    And A Sutil for crashing…

Maybe Massa should have binned the car at Brazil last year and made a red flag to come out on last lap….!!!
    Then the would have had to go back to the lap before….

Maybe they should fine toyota for Timo and his pathetic driving to allow LH thru…

PK is a crap f1 driver with a axe to grind and the fact Mad Max hate Flabio as well makes this seem like a witch hunt. Why would Renualt want to bin a car so early when Massa was always going to win the race is beyond me.
    I am calling the BS flag myself..and if it’s true I hope PK gets banned from motorsport for life for his part.

17. No-one else has mentioned this:

The two Red Bull drivers and Rubens Barrichello also started outside the top 10 in Singapore and had a free choice of fuel load: They all pitted before Piquet crashed and also benefitted from the safety car, sooooo perhaps it wasn’t such a ridiculous strategy after all, especially as Alonso was also keen to get all of his running on the unfancied softer tyre out of the way while he was in traffic anyway – inevitable when starting 15th on the grid.

Also, remember Piquet’s podium in Germany? Had the safety car not come out a lap after he stopped, Piquet would have ended up about 15th. Safety cars are known to shake up the order and especially at Singapore where it is very difficult to overtake, it’s likely to have a significant influence on the result.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 6th September 2009, 19:19

Both good points.

• Good point about the Red Bulls, Webber was put in with a great chance of a win or a least a podium by the Piquet crash as well.

Also Piquet’s podium at Hockenheim shows Renault often tend to think outside the box with strategy, indeed he was on an unusually long strategy in Singapore to try and take advantage of a possible safety car.

• Chalky said on 9th September 2009, 15:03

Both good points that prove that those further down the grid hope for a safety car in their strategy to aid them in their race position.

But a safety car is not always guaranteed.
        Cue conspiracy theory.
        I still voted No. I just don’t want to believe that these things happen in F1. Maybe I’m being blinkered about it.

It seems to be Renaults turn to get all the bad press this year, with investigations and fines.

18. I voted don’t know as we can only speculate about possibility of a conspiracy. Unless the evidence that was mentioned gets published of course.

19. Simone said on 6th September 2009, 22:54

The FIA presumably wouldnt be taking action unless they thought there was a case to answer, think of the millions of pounds of bets that go F1 races around the world – it’s a very serious business when there’s accusations of cheating.

It’s interesting that Massa instantly thought Piquet spun on purpose, would he have accused them at the time if he wasn’t fairly certain.

20. antonyob said on 7th September 2009, 9:15

Imagine if it was Hamilton who benefited!!! They’d have him hanging by his feet already.

Im somewhat perplexed at Keiths “too incredible” claim. As Murray once said “anything can happen in F1 and usually does.” I always wondered how it hadnt happened years ago and to be honest it probably has but up until recently when computers ran predictions through the race, it was usually so chaotic the teams just concentrated on keeping their own cars circulating.

Briatori looks (and acts) about as trustowrthy as a snake but that doesnt mean he and Renault are guilty. If they are guilty and i believe they are, then Renault will withdraw immedietely. In the current climate that cannot be allowed to happen so they will not be found guilty.

• Maksutov said on 7th September 2009, 10:27

I disagree respectfully.
      Only things that can be proven with absolute certainty will get that driver or the persons involved hanged by their feet. That applies to any driver.

• S Hughes said on 7th September 2009, 15:30

I agree wholeheartedly with all your post, re. if it was Lewis, re. whether they are guilty and re. whether the truth will come out.