McLaren MP4-12C road car revealed

McLaren MP4-12C - the new sports car by McLaren

McLaren MP4-12C - the new sports car by McLaren

F1 car history provided the inspiration for the naming of the McLaren MP4-12C, the new sports car revealed by the company today.

The car shares the same naming convention used by the team’s F1 cars. It falls between McLaren’s 1997 MP4-12 (which won three Grands Prix) and the 1998 MP4-13 (which won both world championship titles).

This is probably because of the ‘brake steer’ technology fitted to the car, which is related to the same innovation which appeared on the 1997 and 1998 McLaren F1 cars. It was banned by the FIA early in 1998.

Brake steer applies the brakes to the inside rear wheel during high-speed cornering to reduce understeer. On the F1 cars this was operated by an extra brake pedal, but on the MP4-12C the system is electronic.

The car is powered by a 600bhp 3.8-litre V8 engine built by McLaren, making it an all-McLaren production. Its predecessor, the McLaren F1, used an engine supplied by BMW.

It also has a Formula 1-style seamless shift gearbox but does not have the distinctive central driving position of the McLaren F1.

The MP4-12C is seen as the successor to the F1 road car, designed in 1993 by Gordon Murray and Peter Stevens. Murray is not involved in the new project and is developing a new supercar design of his own, which he says will not rival the performance of the F1. He is also currently working on a compact, low-emissions city car called the T25.

The MP4-12C has been Ron Dennis’s project for the road car division since he stepped down from the race team earlier this year and the company will build around 1,000 per year. Now more than ever, McLaren is becoming a rival for Ferrari off the track as well as on it.

78 comments on McLaren MP4-12C road car revealed

1 2 3
  1. Joaqo (Max should resign now!!!) said on 9th September 2009, 6:24

What a beauty!

2. Rikadyn said on 9th September 2009, 6:26

It looks better than the new ferrari they just unveiled…but doesn’t really impress me…

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th September 2009, 6:28

You mean the 458? I quite liked that.

• Rikadyn said on 9th September 2009, 7:50

Yea, the Front fascia is alright but I disliked everything from the A Pillar back on the 458, especially around the hips of the car, they just looked weird with the line on the door and rear arch being independent of each other and made the greenhouse seem oddly large.

Here with the McLaren, we see a pretty standard fare in the design of the Midship Engined Supercar. While the 458 can’t really be seen as related to anything (except maybe the Autobacs Garaiya) the McLaren looks like a half dozen cars to come out in the last decade, three prominently pop to mind are the Carrera GT, Ascari KZ-1, and Saleen S7.

Now it’s not to say it’s not pretty in it’s own right, but it’s hardly impressive or unique in the styling department.

• ajokay said on 9th September 2009, 9:47

Thats what I thought. It looks incredibly non-descript. You’d think McLaren would come up with something special for their first new road-legal car in 15 years.

Interesting to hear that the engine is In house too. No help from Mercedes at all?

• Nitpicker said on 9th September 2009, 10:49

I agree here. Unless there’s something wildly different about the rear, it’s indistinctive in supercar terms. The 458 looked odd in places but at least had a hint of quirky character.

• lewisisoverated said on 9th September 2009, 10:54

i think it actually looks a lot like the 458 Italia.. just looks like theyve taken the basic design and improved on it! something like when mclaren stole the ferrari formula1 documents in 07 :D

3. Sush Meerkat said on 9th September 2009, 6:38

Its predecessor, the McLaren F1, used an engine supplied by BMW.

I always found that ironic, that the McLaren F1 car paraded around the Tech Center is powered by a now major rival.
    The F1 car has its own innovative braking system, a series of fans suck the car into the ground under heavy braking.

• mp4-19b said on 9th September 2009, 7:50

Could it possibly be the reason why McLaren have built their own engine for mp4-12c? Do they see Mercedes as their rivals somewhere in the future? Bigbadderboom told me that Mahle was bulding the v8 engine for them at their plant at Northampton. But i don’t see anything on their website.

But he did provide a PDF file but the details are very sketchy.

• Sush Meerkat said on 9th September 2009, 18:17

Nah, probably because you can’t market a supercar with a Merc engine apart from to Asian and Arabian countries.

The west would go,
        Henry; “tally pip old boy, is that the new s Class mercedes?, haven’t they ruined the styling”
        Pip (from great expectations); “by jove your right Henry”

then they both jump into a cataram for a hill climb.

4. Ayrton said on 9th September 2009, 6:47

It is very beautiful and I am a big Mclaren fan, but I wonder about the possibility of their road car ever being in the same league of popularity and celebrity that ferrari has attained. Also and I hate to talk about colour, but they need to design a trademark like ferrari has with their maranello red, or yellow. Otherwise it just ends up looking like it could be mistaken for a Lotus! Is the orange harking back to the old days Mclaren days…if so it makes sense. But the colour they have used is not appealing.

Anybody know the top speed? 0-60 secs etc…?

• Cameron said on 9th September 2009, 9:48

I’m sure McLaren can muster up enough popularity to make this car a success story for them. Maybe not Ferrari popularity, but popularity none the less.

End of the day, we must remember: the McLaren F1 is one of the most desirable road cars on the planet! Just ask Jay Leno! ;)

• ajokay said on 9th September 2009, 9:52

Orange is the traditional McLaren colour. It was the colour of their first F1 cars, it is often used as a testing livery, on the team’s victory shirts. The F1 LM versions are all orange too, I think.

I don’t know if the colour has a name other than ‘McLaren Orange’ though. ‘Victory Orange’, maybe>

• No it wasn’t, The original McLaren F1 car (1966) was white. The orange cars were sponsored by Gulf Oil and the colour was known as “Gulf Orange”

• Nitpicker said on 9th September 2009, 10:53

Lotus!! I was wondering what it reminded me of. One of their recent Europa or Esprit concepts I think.

5. I think the 458 looks better, but i wouldnt mind either one.

6. Arun Srini said on 9th September 2009, 6:55

It was a disappointment when I took a look at it. Road cars always have something in their design that tells something about it to the eyes of a petrolhead. The F1 told it was a monster, had muscles and can corner exceptionally, the Camaro tells it is like a total muscular body builder. This….. nein, just like a wannabe car. But 3.8 producing 600 hp is too awesome, wonder how many super/turbos it has and rpm it should attain, being Ron’s project, if it needs some 8-9 rpm, it won’t entertain me.

• mp4-19b said on 9th September 2009, 7:41

It was a disappointment when I took a look at it

Srini, do you drive turbocharged supercars around the streets of Bangalore? No offense meant :)

• JSingh said on 9th September 2009, 9:53

I know a few people who drive turbocharged supercars around the streets of Delhi and I’m sure there are a few in Bangalore as well. :P

7. I think that the 458 is a better looking car.

This new McLaren looks kinda similar to other supercars that are around, doesnt it? (like the Koenigsegg perhaps)

• ajokay said on 9th September 2009, 10:18

The back of that new Ferrari looks ug-leeeee. And the front isn’t much better. Having said that, I’m not too keen on any of the Ferrari road cars really.

• I agree, it does look a bit like a Koenigsegg.

I don’t dislike it, but I don’t love it, and with supercars that’s a problem.

The 458 however looks fresh. For me it’s one of the best looking Ferrari’s for a while. More going for it looks wise than the 350 and 430.

8. mp4-19b said on 9th September 2009, 7:22

What a beauty! Luca di Monty must be sulking somewhere in Marenello. Thanx to Max, McLaren are all set to thump Ferrari out of road car business.

9. Harv's said on 9th September 2009, 7:32

It looks ok, you can deffinatly see some design links to the original F1. square headlights, body layout and dimention, nose, backside. I am confident that it will out perform the 458, and im sure that mclaren have every intention of creating a better car, ive heard that it will be up there with the 599gtb.

this shot of the car looks different to other pics ive seen, other pics show a more angular design, particulary around the side intakes and the rear lights, but overall I expect this to be a very, very good car.

10. GeeMac said on 9th September 2009, 7:48

I’ve read a couple of articles that say this is powered by a twin turbo, 6 liter V8. Some clarification would be great.

Frankly I don’t care about the numbers, it is simply gorgeous! I see a lot of the old F1 in it too. If this the first of 3 models as some reports indicate, I can’t wait for the next one!

• Bigbadderboom said on 9th September 2009, 8:02

Yeah I thought it was powered by a developed 6.2ltr Modified Mercedes V8, which is badged as a McLaren engine.
      I will investigate! ;)

• Bigbadderboom said on 9th September 2009, 8:09

Mclaren have been quoted as saying the engine produces 592bhp with an efficiency of 155bhp per Litre, this would give a displacement of 3.8ltr and yes it is twin turbo charged.

• Nitpicker said on 9th September 2009, 10:55

There must be some Mercedes involvement in the engine. Doesn’t Merc has a shareholding in the McLaren Group, not just the F1 team?

• mp4-19b said on 9th September 2009, 14:08

It is rumored that Mercedes provided the blueprints for the engine & Mahle are manufacturing them. But details regarding the engine are still very sketchy.

11. DGR-F1 said on 9th September 2009, 8:09

According to one magazine I read (but I cannot remember which one) the MP4-12C will only be one of a range of cars, so it will be interesting to see if the keep an F1 ‘family’ likeness, or if each one will be styled differently.
    I am interested by the fact the McLaren are building their own engines. Maybe as MP4-19b says, they are keeping clear of any future clashes with Mercedes, which is odd considering the deals that must be in place already between them and AMG/Ilmor for the current F1 racing engines.

12. wasiF1 said on 9th September 2009, 8:23

“McLaren is becoming a rival for Ferrari off the track as well as on it”.
    It will go wheel to wheel with Ferrari with 458