Ferrari confirm 2010 Santander deal, stay tuned for Alonso announcement…

Santander were behind Alonso at McLaren in 2007

Santander were behind Alonso at McLaren in 2007

Ferrari have confirmed Banco Santander as a major sponsor for the 2010 F1 season.

The deal has been rumoured since last year, and is soon expected to be followed by confirmation that Fernando Alonso will race for them next year.

Alonso’s move has been something of an ‘open secret’ in F1 recently, with McLaren’s Martin Whitmarsh even acknowledging it publicly a few weeks ago.

Ferrari have lured Santander away from McLaren after the Spanish bank has spent the last three years with the company. Although Lewis Hamilton features heavily in adverts for their British brand Abbey, they clearly want to be associated with Alonso again. The two developments should reunite Santander and Alonso for the first time since 2007.

There’s an element of tit-for-tat involved as well, as McLaren captured former Ferrari sponsor Vodafone at the beginning of 2007.

Who will Alonso’s team mate – or team mates – be in 2010? Both Felipe Massa and Kimi Raikkonen are contracted for 2010. It is not yet known whether Massa will return to the cockpit at the start of next year – although he won’t race again this year. Ferrari is understood to be trying to buy Raikkonen out of his contract, despite his recent resurgence in form.

Giancarlo Fisichella, who races for the team this weekend, has been tipped to become the team’s test driver in 2010. But Luca di Montezemolo is lobbying the FIA and the other teams to be allowed to run a third car for Michael Schumacher if he is able to drive.

More on Ferrari in 2010

109 comments on Ferrari confirm 2010 Santander deal, stay tuned for Alonso announcement…

1. mp4-19b said on 10th September 2009, 17:34

Quoted by Hamilton:-(source F1-live)

Alonso’s former McLaren teammate Lewis Hamilton however clearly expects the 27-year-old to make the switch, as he spoke at an appearance at the Homeless World Cup in Milan.

“It will be great to race him as a Ferrari driver and to battle with him to share out the next ten Formula One World Championships,” the British driver is quoted as saying on Thursday by Gazzetta dello Sport.

It will happen & Kimi’s coming back to Woking :)

2. Carl 27 said on 10th September 2009, 17:35

If Alonso moves to Ferrari, The next season can be very promising, with Lewis,Brawn and the Redbulls…like in the old days.
    I just hope the Renault-gate doesn’t spread s… all over Alonso, to me he is a decent chap and a great driver.

3. I think I remember reading somewhere that Vodafone wanted to become title sponsors at Ferrari but Ferrari stuck with Marlboro even though all the teams had agreed to drop tobacco sponsorship after 2006, so Vodafone ended up with McLaren.

It seems to me that in the UK Santander make better use of their McLaren sponsorship, at least through TV ads, than Vodafone do, considering Vodafone are the title sponsor.

• mp4-19b said on 10th September 2009, 17:53

The EU senators are a bunch moron hypocrites. Did the banning of tobacco advertising on f1 cars bring down cancer deaths? Or have tobacco users shied away from using it? I personally am against tobacco products, but the tobacco based livery cars were the best looking cars in history . They were so soothing on the human eye. I think EU must chuck this rule. Tobacco & F1 are synonymous.

• That’s the kind of mentality responsible for kids smoking and drinking at ages of twelve and girls getting pregnant while they should be kidding with dolls! That’s all due to propaganda, because these things are acessible to everyone at every age.

Tobacco propaganda on Formula One car liveries have associated speed with smoking, and smoking itself sells a vision of “reckless life”. It’s a whole chain of effects which indeed cause deaths, and not only by cancer. No, no one stopped smoking because there are no more tobacco propaganda, but it may prevent someone to start smoking because of Formula One. It helps F1 image generally. And you want those cigarette stickers back on the cars just because you think they were beautiful? Please… Do anyone miss Mild Seven logos? Or West? Lucky Strike? Abolishing them made any difference for the worst? It only did good, as far as I can see.

There shouldn’t be any tobacco propaganda in any motorsport series IMO.

(sorry for getting off-topic like these guys…)

• Great post Teixeira, great post. Any relation to Mark? ;)

• If we want nice paint jobs maybe the home country of the team shoulds start painting their current competitor for the Miss Universe pagent onto the cars. lol.

• Tom Watson said on 10th September 2009, 19:04

lmao man I thought the same thing, Yankees almighty switch hitter :D

• Martin said on 11th September 2009, 1:55

Your kind of mentality is why we have pregnant teenagers. Children need to be raised by their family (being a mother and father) and not by the community deciding what is best. I grew up in a family of smokers , but yet I dont because my father showed me why it wasnt a good idea. My daughter is now 22 and was never pregnant, because my wife and I showed her the proper values. Dont try to blame it on tv and other propaganda, that is a fools cop-out.
          Tobacco is a legal product just like alcohol and other things yet society has deemed it a bad product now, but wont make it illegal. I bet you all love the taxes that are generated by the tobacco industrie though.
          My family lives in the middle of a region where tobacco is the single largest cash crop yet none of us smoke now. I dont care for smoking but I dont go crazy if someone else does.

I would love for the govtments and motorsports to get off this hypocracy about tobacco and let them go back to advertising and get even more money from them.
          For all the rules against the advertising and ban on smoking in certain areas the rate of smoking still goes up..

• I didn’t mean that ONLY propaganda draws people up to smoking. My father smokes too, seven of my uncles are smokers and lot of my cousings are smokers too, but I’ve never put a cigarette in my mouth. I agree with you that the family has the greatest input on how their children will raise. But that’s too due on how their parents were raised. Their level of education, neighborhood, etc etc. In my case, and yours too, our parents gave us enough education to realize how stupid tobacco is.

But bear in mind, it is all relative. There are some people who don’t even care about their children, therefore have no input on their behaviour. They let those kids get their “life experience” by themselves, which may lead them to the wrong way.

I mean, here in Brazil there’s just a lot of sexual-inducing things on television (like TV Globo’s novels) and “music” (like Rio de Janeiro’s ‘funk’, which is a complete and utter disgrace). But anyway, kids and teens are drawn to it. They find it cool, because it is a adult thing, and kids at this age really want to be like adults (resulting in smoker kids and pregnant teenagers, and maybe even the criminal of tomorrow). Don’t take your own daughter’s example, because this may not be the reality in other families.

When I joined high school, at the age of 13, I was just devastated to see kids at the same age of mine smoking.

In the end, if the parents doesn’t have a proper input over their kids, who has? You guessed it: propaganda. Of course the parents shoud do they part, but the community and the media (including sports advertising) should do too.

• @mp4-19b I’ve read your comments over the past months with some amusement and the odd wish that maturity would catch up with you. Your age betrays you in most of your posts, but this latest proves that you are young enough to have neither contracted cancer, nor lost anyone close to you due to that awful killer. That you would place what you consider to be a pretty car over a slow and painful death, preceded by chemotherapy or radiation treatment, is really rather petty and pathetic.

I wish you the best of health and a rapid growth spurt in brain function and experience. Perhaps then a little wisdom will intervene between your brain and fingertips.

• That is the biggest pile of rubbish I’ve read in a long time. Do you really think tobacco companies would spend millions of pounds each year for advertising that had no effect whatsoever? Do you know anything about the effectiveness of advertising at all?

Do you know anything about the change in the rates of smoking over the last 20 years? Well here’s a fact for you to chew on: tobacco use has significantly decreased since the ban in advertising this murderous product. Yeah, those EU senators are a bunch of idiots for saving all those lives. Yeah. Totally. You idiot.

You think the cars look beautiful? Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder but what about the cars before they had sponsorship in the 50s? Did they look worse?

• Jay Menon said on 11th September 2009, 2:26

Hey Arnet..I think he’s a kid! Probably a teenager..hahaha

I agree that Cigarettes should not be advertised or endorsed, people who want to take up smoking should decided for themselves, it should not be imposed on them.

Having said that..the paint jobs were great back in the days, no doubt about it. Aesthetically, the cars were brilliant. Marlboro-Mclaren’s were distictive, JPS-Lotus was sleek, Rothmans-Williams was iconic and my favourite of all time Gaulloise-Prost..very suave.

• mp4-19b said on 11th September 2009, 3:28

Hey Arnet..I think he’s a kid! Probably a teenager..hahaha

I’m not a Kid for heaven sake!!! You can go back generations in my family & yet find no smokers. I think you did not read my next post down below before commenting. I said I hate tobacco products . I know only too well about the ill effects of tobacco on human body. But it was wrong of you & Arnet to tell me off!! Especially Arnet. If someone in his family was so dumb enough to get carried away by Tobacco propaganda & succumbed to it later, isn’t exactly my problem. It his he who should have advised them. People like Arnet are hypocrites. Real strength of character lies in self-control, You cannot push every thing under the carpet & say every thing is fine. If Arnet is was really concerned bout his health all he needs to do is to stay away from tobacco products like me. But i still reiterate my stand on tobacco products: I hate them!! But the Pseudo attitude will only lead to more cancer deaths.

@ Arnet: I understand your vicious intentions. Wishing someone bad isn’t ethical. but i have no problems with it ;)

• @mp4-19d

I’m not sure whether you read english very well or not, but if you re-read over my post, I wished you the best of health. I would never wish what I have gone through on anyone, despite their ignorance. You seem to have an unnatural talent for reinterpretation. I confess to needing some help in understanding your spin.

It’s true, young people often don’t have your super-human ability to just say no to harmful products. That is why advertising has been curtailed in most civilized areas of the world, to protect the vulnerable. You seem to imply that people with addictions deserve the consequences.

As for the appearance of the cars, this really has less to do with the brand, and more to do with the modern age of product placement. It was a group of blind idiots within AIG that approved Renault’s latest colour scheme. The same group could easily have been working for Mild Seven. JPS looked cool? Who’s to say Nike wouldn’t come up with the same gold on black? The problem is the crowding in of other sponsors. What I’m hearing is that people miss the clean look of a single sponsor. Those days are over, child.

4. sato113 said on 10th September 2009, 18:06

i don’t want to see Alonso at ferrari, I’ve always seen him as a great rival to ferrari (i.e in 2005/6) It would feel like John Terry moving to Man U.

• mp4-19b said on 10th September 2009, 18:21

But Juliano Belletti scores an own goal & alleges that Carlo Ancelotti & Roman Abramovich have told him to do so!! So John Terry has no choice. He’s going to man u cuz Owen is heading back home, to liverpool where he belongs :)

• Or seeing Brett Favre in a Vikings uniform..who ever thought we’d see the day?

• Harv's said on 11th September 2009, 4:07

I agree with you! it would be like seeing lewis at ferrari, if that ever happened id probably be sick!

5. Steph90 said on 10th September 2009, 18:10

I think EU must chuck this rule.

It’s a good rule because as a kid watching F1 and looking at the cars it always made me think ‘god I want a cigarette and get lung cancer…’
    EU thinks we’re all thick and can’t think for ourselves and ruin the nice liveries.

• mp4-19b said on 10th September 2009, 18:32

Exactly! I was 6 years old when i started watching F1 in 1993. I’ve seen them all,marlboro,rothmans,west,windfield,lucky strike,mild seven,555 etc. But never ever did i develop the slightest inclination towards tobacco products. But still i found them to be very cool :) In fact i own all the tobacco based livery jackets & shirts. Managed to get rothmans jacket with very great difficulty, even had Nacional stitched separately by a tailor. I love tobacco based liveries, but hate tobacco products.

6. ‘Saint Luca’ in Autosport:

“…I was always pleased with my drivers. We have the world champion of two years ago, and we have the driver who, when he crossed the finish line in Brazil, he was world champion for 15 seconds – unfortunately only 15. So we have really fantastic drivers…”

Q. What about the rumours about Fernando Alonso?

LDM: You are very young, I am very old, and this is old news. Every year it is the same. We have two drivers, now three, plus also we are close to having Michael so we have a lot of drivers – this is not a problem for us now.

7. The language of a timid media:
    “X is understood to have …”
    “X is widely believed to be …”
    “It is argued that …”
    “Many consider …”

This language allows plausible deniability if things later turn out to be false. Nobody has the cajones to come out and say “I believe X”

I hate to see a personal blog sink to using such language, even while acknowledging that F1F is increasingly influential in the media. It’s just slimy.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 10th September 2009, 19:10

I think the headline makes it pretty clear where I believe Alonso is going.

I don’t like weak rationalisations any more than the next man, but I’m not going to pretend I have my own source confirming a story when I don’t. That’s slimy.

• right on Keef.

• Thanks for replying Keith.

If you don’t have your own source, then the statement above should link to a website that you think does (and whose source is traditionally reasonably correct). Otherwise it just looks like you’re protecting your own source, or worse, making it seem like you are. Why else would you use such language?

Because you can simply say:

“Autosport/ James Allen /(pick one) has been reporting that Ferrari is trying to buy out Raikkonen.”

And a link to the right article/post would be nice to have (but not necessary, just a name would be enough). You could even say “Autosport and others …” if there are more than one.

Including a name or seconday source allows your readers to judge whether or not the sources you judge to be trustworthy, are in fact accurate or not as reality unfolds. Not including a name exposes you to the accusation that you don’t want to be called out if/when your formerly trustworthy source turns out to be wrong.

So why don’t you go ahead and tell us who actually “understands” that Ferrari is trying to buy out Raikkonen?

Needless to say, this is all meta stuff and your writing is spot-on in the first approximation and is much appreciated.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 10th September 2009, 19:54

It’s not a new piece of information, I referred to it on here ages ago. I can’t remember if I included a reference to where it was first reported, but I’ve seen it in multiple places since (probably not all online). That said I take your point and will bear it in mind in future.

• Nobody has the cajones to come out and say…

Certainly not! I haven’t seen any person having “Drawers” (Cajones)

Maybe “Cojones” would work better! :-)

• It’s a blog, not Reuters Hakka.

Blogs are about peoples opinions as well as cold hard facts. That’s the beauty of the infomation super highway ;)

8. mp4-19b said on 10th September 2009, 18:42

Most Important story of the decade on Becken Lima’s blog .

9. Alex-Ctba said on 10th September 2009, 18:45

For news that are released here in Brazil, Felipe is recovering very fast and does not rule out the possibility of driving at Interlagos then I believe he will return to lead his ferrari at high level of competitiveness, such as it has done until before the accident

• Are we playing Chinese whispers? A Google translation to English from Portuguese when the original English is available on the very same page :)

10. OK, Heres what will happen.
    Kimi sees out his contract through 2010. Fernando stays w/Renault through 2010. 2011 Alonso to Ferrari and Kimi goes rallying. Massa stays w/Ferrari through 2012 and then leaves ’cause he won’t be able to get along w/Fernando. Not sure who goes to McLaren ’cause Rosbergs going to Brawn at the expense of Barrichello.

11. Next step: Fernando Alonso to Ferrari

12. I agree with Leaf,, anyway we can see that nobody has any sure information. If Alonso goes to Ferrari only reason is money. It’s bid sad that he have to buy his seat – Felipe and Kimi didn’t and they are making better job like professionals, not acting like teenagers

13. I’m not keen on the idea of three-car teams, but a Schumacher-Alonso-Raikkonen line-up would give Ferrari a squad with ten world championship titles between them…

I think it’s more likely they want Alonso-Raikkonen-Massa, and are just using Schumacher’s name to get them three cars. By Ferrari’s own statements following his successful operation, after all, it seems that Massa has first dibs on any seat.

14. I repeat here:
    Alonso’s anouncement:
    13th November at Cheste, Spain, Ferrari’s season closing party for the first time out of maranello…
    For me this “first time out of Maranello” speaks itself, do you remember the Mclaren party at Valencia in 2006?
    Cheers.