Enter your Italian Grand Prix predictions

Can Sebastian Vettel repeat his 2008 win this weekend?

Can Sebastian Vettel repeat his 2008 win this weekend?

Friday practice for the Italian Grand Prix has finished and that means it’s time for the latest round of the F1 Fanatic Predictions Championship.

Enter your predictions for pole sitter and the top three of the podium and you could be in with a chance of winning a prize – even if you haven’t played yet this year.

The prizes

First place prize

• An original F1 painting by Rob Ijbema
  • Five F1 DVDs from Duke Video: “Formula One 1970: The uncrowned champion”, “Formula Villeneuve: A tribute to Gilles Villeneuve”, “The World’s Greatest F1 Cars”, “Champion: Hill” and “Nine Days in Summer”
  • ??60 to spend on F1 merchandise at Onpole.com

3x Runners-up prizes

• Copies of “Lotus Goes Turbo” DVDs from Duke Video
  • ??30 to spend on F1 merchandise at Onpole.com

Here?s how the game works:

1. Predictions have to be made before the beginning of final practice on Saturday.
2. Only one set of predictions per person.
3. You have to predict (a) Who will be on pole position and (b) What the top three finishers (three different drivers) will be.
4. Players score:
a. ten points for correctly guessing the pole sitter
b. ten points for naming one of the top three in their correct position, 25 for naming two of the top three and 50 for naming the whole top three correctly
c. five points for correctly naming any other driver in the top three (but not in the correct position)
5. Predictions must be entered as described below and either posted in a comment below or emailled to competition-at-f1fanatic.co.uk
6. Whoever scores the most points over the 15 races from round three (China) to 17 (Abu Dhabi) wins the grand prize.
7. In the event of a tie the winner will be determined by who picked to most race winners correctly, then second places finishers and so on.
8. In the event of a dispute the editor’s decision is final.

See the current predictions championship scores

52 comments on Enter your Italian Grand Prix predictions

1. mp4-19b said on 11th September 2009, 14:42

Wow! This new plugin is really cool! thanx to Ian

2. Did the username mistakes get sorted from the spa predictions?

3. New plugin looked great, so for once I’ll try my luck and drop in a random choice. Why follow the crowd? :)

4. I’m sorry, but this race is going to be so difficult to predict. Almost impossible.

• DomPrez said on 11th September 2009, 18:14

I have to agree, i participate in several different fantasy leaugs and my predictions for all of them are completly scattered.

• Patrickl said on 11th September 2009, 21:38

I think so too. We really need saturdays FP to have some info to base this on.

Pole is always much of a lottery with the different fuel levels and all.

5. graham228221 said on 11th September 2009, 15:06

the obvious polesitter isn’t a choice, where’s Liuzzi?

6. ianhaycox said on 11th September 2009, 15:22

Bah, looks like the only way to get ahead, is to go out on a limb. I couldn’t choose my first predictions as the points leaders beat me to it.

Here goes nothing. HAM ALO SUT HAM I’ve only put my prediction in a comment, cos if I get 60 points some might think there is magic code in the plugin – ‘if player=ian then maxpoints’ :-)

7. Sush Meerkat said on 11th September 2009, 15:33

it said my entry could not be submitted because of duplicate entry “Sush Meerkat-12″

Someone tried to mess up Becken’s prediction last time round I recall, by impersonating him.

anyway, my prediction is as follower;

Sush Meerkat
      SUTIL
      ALONSO
      HAMILTON
      Räikkönen

• mp4-19b said on 11th September 2009, 16:03

Could you please explain why you choose Alonso for the win? Is there any rationale behind it?

• I think he has a shot at pole. He may fancy a glory run at monza on the weekend his Ferrari drive is confirmed and he has Kers which is apparently a massive boost in quali in monza. have to say I dont see him having the pace to win tho this weekend.

• Sush Meerkat said on 11th September 2009, 21:44

what was your choice?, and why are you asking me my rationale?, are you saying i’m mad?.

Alonso because when it comes to pressure and Alonso he normally puts it together, such as monza 2007, the fact that Pat Symonds can come up with a crazy strategy coupled with the improved Aero of the Renault with KERS and you got yourself a wildcard.

Also of note, for several races at the start of was putting Sutil on the podium for a laugh, and losing points in the process, I’m in the top ten still, even though I was screwing up on purpose.

• The authenticity of a voter should be verified by his e-mail address.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 15th September 2009, 20:30

Sush I don’t know why you got that error message but your prediction was included.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 15th September 2009, 20:42

I don’t know why you got the error message Sush but your prediction was added by the system.

8. I don’t know who have done this new way for making the predictions, but Keith, you should give him the 1rst. place Prize of this competition!

Great job, here!

9. Normally missing liuzzi wouldn’t be the end of the world but those Force Indias are bloody fast at Monza. he could get a podium.

10. Nirupam said on 11th September 2009, 15:54

Keith,

Not being able to post prediction!

My prediction:
    Nirupam
    Sut
    Alo
    Rai
    Ham

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 15th September 2009, 20:43

Nirupam, like Sush, your predictions were also included. I think this is because both of you had predictions amended earlier on, we’ll take a look at the problem.

11. Only a few people give poor KOV a shot. He’s got four-tenths under his thumb and great team behind him. This is probably his best chance at one more victory he will have in his F1 career. I’m afraid he will be replaced by his usual weak-willed Sunday doppelgaener on race day, but I hope not. To me, him fading to second is the best a betting supporter should hope for.

• Patrickl said on 11th September 2009, 21:31

In FP2 Kovalainen set his time in a qualy simulation of a few laps. Hamilton set his time during a 10 lap race simulation.

Raikkonen even set his fastest lap in a 13 lap race simulation. By far the fastest race pace shown of the lot.

12. I strongly believe in Hamilton.

13. I am gonna go for Fissi just for the fun of it.

14. Bigbadderboom said on 11th September 2009, 17:33

Keith, can you draw a global prediction from the table, ie a cumalitive total of the predictions, would be interesting to see.

• Patrickl said on 11th September 2009, 21:47

HAM 14%
      SUT 14%

P3
      RAI 20%
      SUT 18%
      ALO 12%

Of all names mentioned these 3 are mentioned most often (in any position)
      HAM 78%
      RAI 63%
      SUT 39%

These 3 predictions for the podium are most common:
      P1 P2 P3 No
      HAM RAI KOV 16
      HAM RAI SUT 15
      HAM RAI ALO 11

• ianhaycox said on 11th September 2009, 23:27

Interesting to see the statistics of predictions and the spread. I think I’ll add that to the TODO list of enhancements if that’s OK.

Not sure if it should be available before the deadline or as an option. Food for thought.

• Wow, good job Patrick! Congrats!

• ILoveVettel said on 12th September 2009, 4:56

Ian, it loks great…
          Perhaps you could add the email validation against name so that duplicacy does not occur…

• ianhaycox said on 12th September 2009, 7:42

You’re right, as Damon above also pointed out, I will add a simple check such that if a user has predicted in a previous round the email address should match.

It could cause extra problems, preventing someone entering if they have forgotten which email address they used before. If they enter from the same computer and haven’t cleared their cookies then it will get ‘pre-filled’ in the form. So hopefully it shouldn’t be a problem.

There is an option in the plugin to require all predictors to be registered, then it doesn’t ask for a username or email. However, like Keith, I often click away when asked to register, so as always it’s a balance between openness and security.

• Patrickl said on 13th September 2009, 10:10

Since you are showing the predictions already, I don’t think it matters if you show the statistics before the deadline. It’s pretty easy to do the statistics yourself.

Just copy and paste the predictions list in Excel and you can easily produce the statistics.

Maybe the predictions shouldn’t be shown before the deadline?

• Wow, excellent!
        It looks like 52% of us have already scored 10pts with Hamilton’s pole!

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 12th September 2009, 14:41

Nice job Patrick!

15. Kinda surprised no-one else picked HAM, HAM-ALO-HEI!