Rate the race: Italian Grand Prix

A Brawn one-two and a dramatic last lap – what did you think of the Italian Grand Prix? Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below.

Rate the 2009 Italian Grand Prix out of 10

Total Voters: 2,192

Loading ... Loading ...

116 comments on Rate the race: Italian Grand Prix

1 2 3
  1. Had to vote perfect, really enjoyed that race… especially the last lap :D

2. Mark Hitchcock said on 13th September 2009, 14:34

6 from me, probably should have been a 7 though.
    Some exciting battles but still not much wheel-to-wheel apart from the Toyotas.

Whatever people say about Hamilton making a stupid mistake, he did liven up the last few laps. Usually the drivers back off in the last few laps and it’s good that he didn’t.

• Steve_P said on 13th September 2009, 14:38

If you want wheel to wheel action, watch IRL. Formula 1 isn’t exactly designed to race like that.

I thought it was a great race. I’m a little sad that the European tracks are over now though because the best races are always those classic tracks.

• Mark Hitchcock said on 13th September 2009, 14:45

Yeah I know, I do enjoy F1 for what it is, I was just expecting a bit more overtaking this weekend.

• Well, I count Suzuka and Interlagos among ”classics”. I’m especially looking forward to race on Suzuka.

• True. He just acts foolishly. Didn’t have to do that. That’s not how championships are won (i know he isn’t a contender this year).
        For me, he lost it last year too. And please don’t start with “you have to drive 120 percent the whole race” routine.
        Much to learn.

• Mark Hitchcock said on 13th September 2009, 14:40

p.s I’m not actually much of a Hamilton fan, before those obsessive haters start chipping in..

You’re all worse than the obsessive fanboys by the way.

3. I’m glad Hamilton was still trying to push till the last lap even though he didn’t have much chance of overtaking Button. I know that he will be ridiculed for pushing too hard when he could have settled for a respectable 3rd.

Good to see that atleast some drivers don’t just race for points.

Anyways, one thing is pretty clear: The WDC will be a Brawn driver. Vettel can kiss the title goodbye after today.

4. Alex-Ctba said on 13th September 2009, 14:37

I just knew…

5. I’m glad Hamilton was still trying to push till the last lap even though he didn’t have much chance of overtaking Button. I know that he will be ridiculed for pushing too hard when he could have settled for a respectable 3rd.

Good to see that atleast some drivers don’t just race for points.

6. 8/10 Very good, great, in fact. Along with Spa, two of the best races by this season’s standards. Lots of overtaking early on, lots of scrapping all through the field. Pitstops that went well, pitstops that didn’t. A winning car coming from the middle of the top-10 on the grid. Shame he had to do it in the pits instead of on the track, but thaen that’s par for the course in modern F1. Roll on next year for having to overtake properly.

Shame about Liuzzi’s failure, Sutil’s botched pitstop that eventually cost him 3rd place, and Lewis binning it on the last lap. At least he was going for it, more than some others would have. Kept Button honest right till the end.

Here’s hoping Fisichella shines more under the floodlights in 2 weeks time too.

7. Alex-Ctba said on 13th September 2009, 14:44

Great race that keeps the flame the struggle for the Barrichello’s wdc and And thanks to Nelsinho for not having been team orders.

8. I just loved it when Hamilton crashed. I fell apart as I was laughing.

9. Bad race and bad for the championship

10. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 13th September 2009, 14:53

Some nice action at the start, mainly thanks to KERS. Other than that it was too much strategy and too little racing.

• A shame we didn’t see whether Hamilton would’ve caught Button on the last lap, looked like they were going to come across the line side-by-side.

What?

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 13th September 2009, 21:42

Hamilton was one second behind at the line at the start of the last lap, and took 0.2s off Button in the first sector. With a tow, and if he had some KERS left, he could have been very close at the finishing line.

• exactly. WHAT?
      There was absolutely NO CHANCE Hamilton was going to catch up and overtake Button.

• But that’s just it. Lewis himself thought he could catch Button and had he not pushed just a bit too hard, who knows. If you can’t appreciate that then you really don’t know F1. In fact to me the ‘rate the race’ above just shows me that f1fanatic.co.uk is a victim of its own success. Too many generic sports fans passing by…

I loved this race – just a damned good F1 race indeed with Brawn coming up from behind with a perfect strategy and TWO perfect drives. Awesome.

Force India absolutely brilliant – Liuzzi was on great form until a mechanical issue.
        And Lewis, fantastic all the way – well, almost all the way :) Love his pure racer aggression. He’s the greatest.

• mp4-19b said on 13th September 2009, 15:54

The Finnish Govt must lobby to get Kovalainen knighted. He surely deserves it. Sir Heikki Kovalainen !! Sounds great! the Finnish must be proud, especially Hakkinen.

• Mussolini's Pet Cat said on 13th September 2009, 16:06

Since when did Finland start giving out knighthoods??? Or any country, other than the UK, for that matter. Anyway, what on Earth are you going on about?????

• Mussolini: …every other monarchy perhaps?

Which Finland isn’t one of, though.

• You have no idea what you’re talking about. I most definitely am not a “generic sports fan”, and I never said I don’t appreciate it. He was wrong, there was no way he could catch up and anyone who knows anything about Brawns and McLarens know that. But what he could have done was getting Button nervous and making a mistake. THAT’S what could have happened. I was just really surprised some people actually thought that he could erase 1 second and overtake in 1 lap after trying so hard for 5 or 6 laps.

• FLIG – the ‘generic sports fan’ bit was certainly not aimed at you! Apologies if it came across like that!
            I was actually referring to the general tone and I wasn’t clear on that. The general tone being that that was a boring F1 race.
            I thought it was a fantastic race…

• Antifia said on 14th September 2009, 16:34

This is just sickening. This if-you-dont-agree-with-me-you-dont-know-anything-about-F1 crap again. Who a hell do you think you are, smardo? If you have a good argument to defend your point, feel free to tell us, but don’t come up with this I-am-the-reference fallacy. And by the way, Hamilton probably thought (whatever he though) it pretty wrong in that last lap, didn’t he?

• unlikely

• He might have caught him to the line, if he didn’t use his KERS until after coming round the parabolica, but probably not pass him i don’t think. It would have been nice to see it happen, but we’ll never know now. So enough said about it.

• Maksutov said on 13th September 2009, 18:32

I very much doubt he would have passed button anyway,..even if he had set the fastest lap he would have ended up behind him. And logically that seems very unlikely given that he would have had lots of turbulence in the corners following the parabolica.

Its good to see that he was pushing to the very end. But that was little bit embarrassing I must say.

• The rate at which he was closing up to Button, he just might have got a small slipstream down to Ascari, and then a major one down to Parabolica. With KERS, he might just have been able to make a move down the inside.

• Random Chimp said on 13th September 2009, 16:13

Bit of an exaggeration I feel.

• Patrickl said on 13th September 2009, 21:44

Hamilton was gaining 2 tenths on Button per lap. Don’t think he could have realy closed up since the gap was still a full second when Hamilton passed the finish last.

11. rikhart said on 13th September 2009, 14:53

Another very, very good drive by Raikkonen. Silly hamilton, use your head a bit more mate.

• Yeah good drive from Kimi there (I disagree with that other F1 related website, which seems to do nothing but complain and whine about everything), he was never going to be up there in car performance, but he got lucky with an inherited 3rd after keeping Sutil behind him and that pit stop scare…

• Just before the start today my girlfriend asked “Who is the better Finish driver?” 3 to 6 months ago I would have said Kovi in a flash as Kimi seemed to have given up.
        Today I had no hesitation in saying Kimi, and it felt right, rather than contrived. And then he gets another podium… It’s good to see him on form – he needs to keep it that way!

12. Xanathos said on 13th September 2009, 14:58

Great race, 8/10

There was lots of action early on, but after that everybody had found his position.
    But Sutil chasing down Raikkönnen was worth watching and then there was the Toyota comedy show…Last lap incident was a bit useless by Hamilton though…

13. Yorricksfriend said on 13th September 2009, 14:59

Sick of seeing races decided on strategy, bring on no refuelling next year. Feel sorry for Hamilton, though I’m happy for Raikkonen. Disappointing for Red Bull. The only good thing about a Brawn 1-2 is that it was Rubens over Jenson so the title fight stays alive.

All in all…

Rubbish

• Ned Flanders said on 13th September 2009, 19:22

The question is, would a refuelling ban have made this race better by forcing more overtaking. Mabye, but I fear that it would have made it worse because they would probably finished in a very similar order to which they started. If F1 cars cannot overtake each other at Monza, you know there must be some serious problems with the sport.

By the way I gave it 6, an exciting start and end to the race, but virtually nothing happened in the middle

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 13th September 2009, 21:43

We certainly wouldn’t have had the three cars that were leading at the end of lap one effectively in a different race to the rest of the field.

• Antifia said on 14th September 2009, 16:45

I wouldn’t have anything against banning re-fueling if they had solved the in-track overtaking problem. But it looks even worse than last year (actually, last year was not so bad). We may end up with no changes in position at all after the start – neither in the track not in the pits.

14. I usually laugh a lot and ridicule Hamilton when he does stupid stuff like that, but this time I think he was right. He’s not fighting for the championship, he’s not struggling against his team-mate; he can afford to push as hard as he can and find his limits. That’s the only way he’ll know he’s going too far. Best to make mistakes in unimportant races than when deciding the title, maybe next year.

• I, agree. Sure some will laugh and make fun of Lewis, but it’s of little value. He gives it all he’s got all the time. That’s what makes him a great champion. Can’t wait for next year. I bet some won’t be laughing and mocking then!

• Maksutov said on 13th September 2009, 18:57

That’s what makes him a great champion.

which part? doing a pirouette ? hehe just j/k, im sure Kimi is happy to get 3rd though ..

He gives it all he’s got all the time.

I am sure he does, but So does every single other driver.

Anyway Hamilton did great, and had plenty of pace despite his commenting that he did not so. They were simply beaten nothing else to be said. However one can not say that the points were not important – because now McLaren are likely to lose against Ferrari in the constructors, and that’s no good for them.

So Lewis needs to learn that sometimes settling for what you got is more important for the team than himself “especially” if its the last lap… anyway.. its all good

• Bigbadderboom said on 13th September 2009, 20:16

I am sure he does, but So does every single other driver.

Kovi’s performance today indicates otherwise.

15. Alex-Ctba said on 13th September 2009, 15:10

when somedriver guide like a champion is always subject to this type of risk, as was the case of Hamilton and Rubens. Great result for the wdc restricted to the two brawn’s driver now and a big-thank to Renaultgate for not having team orders

1 2 3