Rate the race: Italian Grand Prix

A Brawn one-two and a dramatic last lap – what did you think of the Italian Grand Prix? Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below.

[poll id="83"]

116 comments on Rate the race: Italian Grand Prix

1. chaosthoery said on 13th September 2009, 15:40

Good race, not that good like Spa, but still better than most of previous (it’s Spa, Monaco, Monza and Melbourne for me, maybe Bahrain due to overtaking and Malaysia due to “Felipe baby stay cool” :) – the rest I cant even remember too well…)
    Hamilton impressed me throuhg out the race but killed that impression crashing at last lap.
    And I wonder whats up with RedBull, Kubica was able to overtake Vettel with broken front wing!

2. mp4-19b said on 13th September 2009, 15:41

I dedicate this song to Heikki Kovalainen :) What a driver!! He’s simply the best!! Better than all the rest!! Better than anyone I’ve ever met !!

KOVI YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!!

3. Good race. Nice to see the GP’s at the classic tracks. Monza is so fast and the race goes down so quick that, that alone makes for a good race. One more reason that classic tracks must stay on the calendar. Reubens showed why he should stay with Brawn next year. I was all for Nico going there, but after today, to see Barri get the ax would be wrong. He still has it. Lewis made a mistake, unfortionately, after a really good drive. Alonso also with a really good drive. Liuzzi and Sutil also. Watching Toro Rosso it really is obvious all the resources are going to Red Bull even though RB didn’t have a good day. Regarding STR, gee, maybe it really wasn’t that Bourdais was so bad after all. :-) As far as RB goes, it looks like Vettel took a few lessons from Schuey on how to block.
    Probably won’t see as much from the KERS teams in Singapore. Brawn and Force India, and Red Bull too should be good.
    All in all, a “good” race.

4. steph90 said on 13th September 2009, 16:02

Great track, good race but terrible for rbr in the championship :(. C’mon Rubens! Toyota’s were the highlights of the race for me.

5. Allie500 said on 13th September 2009, 16:06

I can’t believe Hamilton threw away that third place. So disappointing…

• Mussolini's Pet Cat said on 13th September 2009, 16:09

You can’t be too critical of the guy, at least he was trying all the way to the end.

• Would you really have preferred it if had just settled for third?
      In his mind he had nothing to lose except another potential two points by trying to catch and pass Button.
      I wish the whole grid had this attitude…

• Maksutov said on 13th September 2009, 19:00

McLaren have everything to lose they are fighting for the constructors against other teams including Ferrari.

6. Mussolini's Pet Cat said on 13th September 2009, 16:08

Lucky Ferrari. If it wasnt for KERS, they would have been ‘bested’ two races on the trot by Force India. Well driven Sutil.

7. StrFerrari4Ever said on 13th September 2009, 16:15

I voted Terrible simply because of the fact that it didn’t have the sort of racing that keeps you hooked like Monza 04.

Yes the Toyota’s battling was brilliant but apart from that the cars were closing on each other but when it came down to it they didn’t really have anything left to pass.

I’m going to admit though for the first time ever I was rooting for Hamilton he was driving fantastically and I wanted him to catch Button and pass him but then he crashed.

Commiserations for Liuzzi he was on course for a points finish but engine problem sealed his fate & Webber well I doubt he would’ve got in the points even if he didn’t crash.

The Red Bull’s are seemingly out of both title races but it’s not the end of the world as long as Rubens can snatch the title instead of Button.

8. Random Chimp said on 13th September 2009, 16:17

David Coulthard:

Do you know her?

Adrian Sutil:

Not yet.

• Thanks for posting this,looks like using KERS on a exit can be a handful.

• Bigbadderboom said on 13th September 2009, 20:21

I’m amazed that there was no external clip of the crash, considering the chase was the most exciting thing happening at the time.

• Patrickl said on 13th September 2009, 21:55

Was that the same spot where he had wheelspin before?

Brundle commented about it that it was a weird spot to have wheelspin. Not sure if it was this or the next Lesmo where that happened though.

9. @Random Chimp

Yer that was funny.

Im not a fan of Hamilton and im from england it was unlucky for him to crash on the final lap but thats just Formula 1 he pushed on hard and he paid the price.

they should just now put all their efforts into 2010 now.

10. Ok so the title is pretty much wrapped up for brawn which I didn’t really want to see but………

I have to give it up to button. He never folded under the pressure from hammy. Great race and strategy from brawn. I will applaud them. Feel sorry for webber. But vettel is not impressing me at all.

Funny how everybody in the press questions raikkonens commitment but thee is he again on the podium.

Exciting race from the beggining. Lots of fun.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 13th September 2009, 23:41

I think that’s an very good point about how well Button did. He only needed a little slip and Hamilton would haven been on the KERS button and through.

• Ned Flanders said on 14th September 2009, 14:00

How can Vettel not be impressing you at all? He outqualifies Webber at every race and outraces him nearly as often.

11. Paul Sainsbury said on 13th September 2009, 19:23

Pretty boring race other than Hamilton. Typical modern F1, no actual racing just strategies played out on seperate pieces of the track.

looking forward to losing the strategy nonsense next year when perhaps we might get some actual racing.

12. rampante said on 13th September 2009, 20:21

How long have you all been watching? Nobody remember cars winning by a lap and cars 3 to 4 laps down. I know nearly all you Brits love him but LH stuffing it on the last lap was the driving of amatures. Mclaren needed the points, he can’t win the WDC but points mean cash to the team. Push as much as you can dou to lose it on the last lap was poor.Emerson won the title here for the first time in 72. Now that was racing just like Stewart in 69. 4 cars in less than 0.2 sec over the line.

• Mark Hitchcock said on 13th September 2009, 20:32

Can’t you see that it’s not just fans of Hamilton who are praising him?

The only bias I can see is from the people who hate Hamilton for no real reason and like to criticise everything he does.
      As I said before, you’re worse than the people who praise everything he does.

Wouldn’t you rather every driver fought for every position like it was for the win?
      I know I would. Even if they make a silly mistake every now and then.
      I don’t want to watch drivers trying to win their teams a few million dollars for a place in the constructor’s championship. I want to watch racing.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 13th September 2009, 23:40

I know I would. Even if they make a silly mistake every now and then.

Well said.

13. Bigbadderboom said on 13th September 2009, 20:34

Good race for me, although once the fuel strats were out yesterday i guess we all knew that it would be a Brawn 1-2. But great drive from Rubens, I’m suprised that Jenson couldn’t make more of a fight of it though. Lewis was obviousley ringing the neck of that McLaren, I think Kovis performance indicates that the car really isn’t all that good still, it’s just Lewis that makes the difference, I’m a bit suprised by McLaren taking a glory hunter attitude and leaving lewis that short on fuel, I would have thought with havin a KERS launch the could have started him further down the grid on a 1 stop, I think he could have made 7-8th. Perhaps they had tyre issues.

14. Well usual pure stragegy “session”, I wouldn’t call it a “race”, qualifying session 2 would be more appropriate.