Canada back on 2010 F1 calendar

The 2010 F1 calendar will include a Canadian Grand Prix

The 2010 F1 calendar will include a Canadian Grand Prix

The Canadian Grand Prix will return to the F1 calendar in 2010 after being missing from the 2009 schedule.

Montreal’s Circuit Gilles Villeneuve will host the 41st world championship round in Canada.

It has held a race at the track every year since 1978 except for 1987 – due to a sponsorship dispute – and 2009.

This is great news for F1 and the hundreds of thousands of fans who pack into the Montreal circuit for the Grand Prix.

F1 crowds have been very poor at several races this year – particularly Turkey. But the Canadian race can be relied upon to be sold to capacity even when the local fans don’t have a home driver to cheer on.

As well as being a great venue for the race, the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve brings an interesting mix of challenges that often provides exciting races. It’s very hard on brakes, and drivers know they risk contact with the barriers if they make the slightest mistake.

Montreal was left off the 2009 calendar amid claims the promoter had failed to pay money owned to FOM. When the race was dropped one minister said:

Unless [Bernie Ecclestone] eases his requirements and adopts a different approach, there will be no Grand Prix in Montreal in 2009.

It’s not known yet whether Ecclestone did drop his price, or whether some new arrangement has been struck. However the previous promoter Norman Legault has stepped down from his role.

The last two races at the circuit were dramatic affairs. Robert Kubica incredibly escaped injury in a violent crash in 2007. Lewis Hamilton scored his maiden win that day, and Kubica did the same 12 months later.

But Hamilton infamously retired from the last race after running into Kimi Raikkonen in the pit lane. During the build-up to that race there were worries about the integrity of the track surface, which broke up during qualifying.

The first world championship Canadian Grand Prix was held at Mosport in 1967 and won by Jack Brabham. It’s great to see a historic venue returning to the F1 calendar, back where it belongs, and I’ll be surprised if anyone has a bad word to say about the news in the comments.

More on the Canadian Grand Prix

60 comments on Canada back on 2010 F1 calendar

1. paxdog57 said on 14th September 2009, 20:44

Hopefully this is a return to tracks where the fans want to go. The Montreal track location allows fans the ability to enjoy the nite life, restaurants and activities that occur in the downtown streets. It is also one of the few opportunities to see a F1 driver in the north america.

2. I have a bad word to say. This deal is a year late.

3. F1Outsider said on 14th September 2009, 20:49

About plucking time!!!

4. F1Ripper said on 14th September 2009, 20:54

Great news, f1 needs to remember its history a bit more to say the least. What do folks here think about imola, will it ever make it back?

5. rampante said on 14th September 2009, 21:09

Would love to see Imola back with the old Tamburello would be even better.With design and safety it could be re introduced. That would be worth the return.It is also only an hour and a half from me so yes please!

6. Lovely Stuff. 2010 is going to be a great season methinks.

7. his_majesty said on 14th September 2009, 21:15

The first race I’ve ever been to 98 canadian gp… Three weeks later in the military. Well atleast the gp was awesome got a picture of wurtz at 90 degrees in the air. Alesi’s car had another car on top of it after the restart, and it all happened right in front of me! May have been the best 3 days of my life. Expect me there next year.

8. That’s fantastic news- the return of the Canadian GP brings only good things involved for everyone in F1. Aside from the track surface problems, the Canadian Grand Prix represents everything good about a Grand Prix weekend, and indeed should be a model for other race promoters as they seke to create a world-class event. I visited Montreal for the first time this July- got to walk the circuit and all- and can just imagine it during the Grand Prix weekend.

As for the bad words, I don’t have any of them, but some people may see my views as such. For as great as this news is, it still dosen’t excuse the lack of a Grand Prix down here, in the United States of America…..

It’s great for American fans to see CGV return- indeed many of those hundred thousand or so on race day are Americans- but for as much as people love to describe “North America” as one big market, the first question most of my countrymen ask me is “Why dose F1 race in Canada but not here?” I’m sure the team bosses and sponsors- let by Whitmarsh, Thiessen, et al… will be the first to back me up.

Again, a great day for everyone involved in F1- most of all for us, the loyal fans who put up with the bad times that so often hit the sport we love. But my only fear is complainc setting it- that we’ll see the 1990′s days of “Montreal and that’s enough” for some people. Hopefully not, and until F1 comes back here, I’ll be happy to settle for MotoGP (which runs not just one, but two races under the Stars and Stripes) as an event to attend.

9. I am pleased to see Canada make its return to the F1 calender.

10. Grace Lovvorn said on 14th September 2009, 21:32

YES YES YES!
    This will be the first GP I attend (pitiful, I know), even if I have to hitchhike all the way up to Canada!

11. Blimey, is poor old Bernie going soft on us in his dottage? First he entertains a return to Silverstone, now a return for the extremely superb Montreal. Tight track, but with chance of overtaking going in and out of the hairpin, as well as the rather exciting ‘wall of champions’ on the pit straight.

Perhaps CVC have been leaning on the Gnome to start listening to the fans. Would be nice to think so. Either way, big thumbs up to Bernie for this one. Was half expecting the next new race to be in Outer Mongolia (apologies in advance to any Outer Mongolese readers).

Now don’t suppose he’d consider getting Valencia redesigned. And Singapore actually – another dreadful processional track, unless Flav’s got any further crowd pleasing planned ;o)

• Prisoner Monkeys said on 15th September 2009, 3:19

I don’t think so. Montreal always planned to keep the Grand Prix, but they needed time to negotiate.

And Singapore actually – another dreadful processional track

Singapre isn’t bad at all. It’s actually got overtaking points; in fact, I think there were more passes at Singapore last year than there were in most races. The messed-up pit stops helped, but a lot of drivers had a go down into turn seven, and they usually came up with the goods. Hamilton taking Coulthard late in the race was a pretty god one, from memory.

If it needs to be redesigned, the only change should be to iron out the last section. I know having the course go under th grandstand is a novelty, but that entire section from turn sixteen to twenty-one is just a sequence of ninety-degree bends. It should be flat out alng the waterfront from seventeen – where Little Nelson crashed – the the final corners.

12. Clare msj said on 14th September 2009, 21:51

I am so so pleased, for once Bernie has done the right thing with regards to tracks! Was absolutely gutted when it was taken off, one of my favourite races is Canada! Plus we already bought our flights to Montreal and our hostel based on the provisional calendar, so if it didnt go ahead we would have been pretty gutted lol!! Now just have to hope the date doesnt change! Ooooh I cannot wait til next year!!! :D

Now for the USA to get its place back…!

13. I’ll be seeing you all there! Maybe we can pick a date and time, maybe at Villeneive’s bar and meet up!

14. Thrilled. I’ll be there. Been there lots. Got to see Gilles win in ’78! Then Jones in ’79! It was a cool time at a cool track.
    One thing….now we need a GP in the USA!!!!!

15. Xanathos said on 14th September 2009, 22:15

Good to see the track back next year!

But they have to resurface it, otherwise races there might become farcial.