Model hints at 2010 colour scheme for 1Malaysia / Lotus F1 car

1Malaysia F1 car model

1Malaysia F1 car model

The FIA announced today that Lotus will get the final place on the 2010 F1 grid. The Malaysian government has backed the bid and the entry was made by a company called “1Malaysia F1 Team”.

1Malaysia is an initiative of Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak, intended to promote unity among Malaysians. This brightly-coloured car model was on display at an official announcement in Malaysia today.

The team principal will be Tony Fernandes, who is ranked the 15th-richest man in Malaysia and set up Air Asia, the airline which sponsors Williams.

A statement from the government said: “??The cars will be made in Malaysia, by Malaysians […] The team will announce its two drivers by October 31, 2009. Currently six local and international drivers have been selected.”

Ex-Renault, Toyota and Force India man Mike Gascoyne will return to F1 as the team’s technical director.

Interestingly, FIA president candidate Jean Todt has links to Malaysia via his partner Michelle Yeoh and his role as an ambassador for Malaysian tourism (about which questions were raised earlier this year).

The model above may prove not to be indicative of what the team’s final 2010 livery will look like – but I think it would be great to see such a radical colour scheme on the F1 grid.

Update: Alex Yoong yesterday referred to the car as ‘project raibow’ on Twitter. Is this paint scheme serious?

Read more: 2010 F1 drivers and teams

174 comments on Model hints at 2010 colour scheme for 1Malaysia / Lotus F1 car

1. Kevin C. said on 15th September 2009, 18:42

I bet the driver will be Fairuz Fauzy, u know what? these are the government cronies business. Another way to siphon the tax payer monies. Sad day for Malaysian. Do we really have the money to spare on F1? Don,t get me wrong, I’m not against Malaysian F1 but the Malaysian tax payer monies.

2. The ugliest color scheme in all F1 history…

3. But with Force India, US F1 and now 1Malaysia, is F1 slowly turning into A1 Grand Prix?

To clarify, Force India only uses the word “India” for promotional purposes. The Indian government has nothing to do with Force India. There is probably no Indian in the team apart from its owner.

The use of the word “India” gives the team a very very large fan base in India. Which it can leverage for other purposes.

I don’t know about US F1 or 1Malaysia, but Force India is NOT an A1 Grand Prix team.

Livery is mmm interesting. One positive point is that they dont use white, which far too many teams in Formula1 use excessively.

• The US government has nothing to do with US F1 either. 90% of them probably don’t even know what it is. They are using the name US for the same reason as India, so it’s not at all an A1 type of thing. They are just hoping that the US can gain interest by having a homegrown team.

That is a very ugly scheme and the name reminds me of one of those funny Engrish websites….1Malaysia F1….huh?

• I hate to point this out but most of the A1 GP teams aren’t run out of the nations they represent, either. The whole ‘World Cup of Motorsport’ is a ridiculously flimsy premise for an international series, which is in no way strengthened by making each nation field a driver from their country. Essentially it’s a marketing exercise, of the type you would be a fool to count Mr Ecclestone out of.

4. “They cannot be serious” with that livery. I hope that is only just a mockup. I just couldn’t take it serious like the Honda earth car. Well at least you can spot them a mile away coming down the straight unless your colour blind. :-)

5. mp4-19b said on 15th September 2009, 18:53

I think Pink Pearl will be very pleased with this livery ;)

6. I cant take this entry seriously. How can they design and build an F1 can in 6 months and get it racing (within 107%). I think this arrangement will flounder before before March 2010; and the FIA know it. Hence the reason why they want to have ‘Sauber’ lined up to fill the vacancy.

7. mp4-19b said on 15th September 2009, 18:57

I’m just wondering if this car was just brought out from the wind tunnel ? Looks like they’ve used bad colour combination for Flow-vis paint ;) Epic Aero(colour) failure.

• Bartholomew said on 15th September 2009, 22:28

I would go all the way to a psychedellic design, like the Rolls Royce of John Lennon, or else I would stay with a nice classic colour theme.

8. Bernard said on 15th September 2009, 19:00

I think country names should be banned from team names. F1 is about competition bewtween drivers and teams not nations.

• UnicornF1 said on 15th September 2009, 19:30

F1 teams used to represent a nation and that’s why F1 is a world championship and the winner is a world champion.
      As Force India is for India,
      so was and is Ferrari for Italy.

• Mike "the bike" Schumacher said on 15th September 2009, 22:40

Team used to carry national colours the only time they truly drove for their country, sponsorship stopped that. Only team competing in national colours still is ferrari.

• I don’t think it’s a world championship because nations were intended to compete directly (otherwise why so many British teams), it’s a world championship because the racing happened/happens across the world, by drivers from all over the world.

• DAnderson said on 17th September 2009, 14:50

That’s absolutely untrue – neither Formula One nor any of the predecessor championships have ever been a competition between nations. The first championship was the World Grand Prix Manufacturers Championship. The Driver’s Championship came several years later.

• Those two teams aren’t racing as countries. Following that logic, F1 is currently a competition between four car manufacturers, two energy drinks, three men, and a country.

If you look at the two teams that have a country in their name, Force India and USF1, they come from countries that don’t really care about F1. If it takes a team with the national flag on the side to get people watching, I don’t see the problem with it.

If and when a second team arises from India or the US, I could easily see those names changing to something more standard, like the

• F1 is currently a competition between four car manufacturers, two energy drinks, three men, and a country

This made me laugh, good call!

• Bernard said on 15th September 2009, 21:38

F1 did not begin as a world championship and has not been exclusively so since 1984.

The painting of cars in national colours was a differentiator not a competition requirement. Teams didn’t think twice about dropping ‘national colours’ in place of sponsors once money was on the table.

I understand that the teams are not racing as countries, of course – most of the Force India team is not even Indian – that is my point, there should be FIA imposed restrictions on names just as there is in other sports and industries.

As I say, F1 is not a sport between national teams and therefore the teams should not be allowed to be named as such.

9. It looks like an F1 car shaped boiled sweet, complete in three different flavours – blueberry, custard and raspberry ripple.

10. ACID FLASHBACK!!!!!!!

11. Mr. shirx vsdballsackpopadom said on 15th September 2009, 19:27

Looks crap.

12. Steph90 said on 15th September 2009, 19:31

Tommy that’s what many think and I doubt Max would back anyone unless he got something out of it.
    Bernard I wouldn’t ban them but I tend do agree it’s better when teams stay awaye from country names, mainly as I have a vision of the USF1 car being the american flag with them blasting Bruce Springsteen’s born in the USA when they arrive next year :P

13. rampante said on 15th September 2009, 19:39

the 60’s have returned only this time the LSD has been taken by engineers. That hurts.Anyboby remember the Lola in 93′ I always thought that was the worst, I remember walking down the pit lane and seeing it for the 1st time boy was it ugly.

14. Incredible to say, I agree with Mp4-19.
    Would that rainbow be a LOTUS???

15. it not the lotus f1 livery for next year…c’mon…don’t be such stupid….this is just an awful looking model made by 5 years old kid with a couple can of spray…the team will call lotus f1 team not 1malaysia f1 team…it just a company name..i bet one of the driver will be fairuz fauzy….but fairuz deserve much descent f1 car that this lotus f1 that sure will be one of the back marker next year….the should just buy bmw sauber!!!

16. And I thought that the front-side shot looks awfull – at least from that angle you can see that they TRIED (and failed miserably) to paint a national flag inspired livery.

I can see them either using British racing green or the yellow-white livery of A1 team

17. Pedro Andrade said on 15th September 2009, 20:42

This is FAIL on so many levels.

FAIL team.
    FAIL livery.
    FAIL Lotus name using.
    FAIL Sauber getting a buyer only on the day this is announced.

• Prisoner Monkeys said on 16th September 2009, 2:10

Sauber most likely had a buyer lined up well in advance, they just chose to annouce it the same day as Lotus was declared team thirteen to maximise their chances of there being a fourteenth team.

18. It looks like an old Renault model.