Model hints at 2010 colour scheme for 1Malaysia / Lotus F1 car

1Malaysia F1 car model

1Malaysia F1 car model

The FIA announced today that Lotus will get the final place on the 2010 F1 grid. The Malaysian government has backed the bid and the entry was made by a company called “1Malaysia F1 Team”.

1Malaysia is an initiative of Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak, intended to promote unity among Malaysians. This brightly-coloured car model was on display at an official announcement in Malaysia today.

The team principal will be Tony Fernandes, who is ranked the 15th-richest man in Malaysia and set up Air Asia, the airline which sponsors Williams.

A statement from the government said: “??The cars will be made in Malaysia, by Malaysians [...] The team will announce its two drivers by October 31, 2009. Currently six local and international drivers have been selected.”

Ex-Renault, Toyota and Force India man Mike Gascoyne will return to F1 as the team’s technical director.

Interestingly, FIA president candidate Jean Todt has links to Malaysia via his partner Michelle Yeoh and his role as an ambassador for Malaysian tourism (about which questions were raised earlier this year).

The model above may prove not to be indicative of what the team’s final 2010 livery will look like – but I think it would be great to see such a radical colour scheme on the F1 grid.

But with Force India, US F1 and now 1Malaysia, is F1 slowly turning into A1 Grand Prix?

Update: Alex Yoong yesterday referred to the car as ‘project raibow’ on Twitter. Is this paint scheme serious?

Read more: 2010 F1 drivers and teams

174 comments on Model hints at 2010 colour scheme for 1Malaysia / Lotus F1 car

1. I kinda think this could be a publicity stunt or something…???

I mean it’s got the forums talking…

O yeah, I really hope I’m right!

2. Mussolini's Pet Cat said on 15th September 2009, 21:35

When I read on the Beeb that the name Lotus was coming back to F1, I was overjoyed! However, “The cars will be made in Malaysia, by Malaysians”….. Bl**dy disgrace. A name synonymous with Britain & British engineering should definately not be used in such a cheap marketing excercise……

3. Regardless of the paint job, the Hinwil team parked up as the ’14th team’ at present, can only mean the FIA means to kick Renault and Flavio out of the series, given half the chance. No great surprises there, but Mosley’s final vengence on Briatore and FOTA will hurt Formula 1 commercially, as much as many of his draconian measures have over the last few years.

Even if ‘Crashgate’ did happen, which will remain subjective I suspect, how can this retrospective activity possibly help F1 as a ‘sport’ in the eyes of the global media, and thus, it’s sponsors. Suspect CVC directors must be seething that this final lashing out from Max Rufus Mosley, whom by his own admission, has known about this matter for some months. Odd how he waited until the FOTA split was negated with the new concorde agreement in the bag before proceeding with this action.

Well at least the candy-cane car looks different. Defo gonna need a big sponsor for a new paint job though. Wonder where Alonso will be hunting now…

4. F1Outsider said on 15th September 2009, 21:42

Looks like vomit!

5. I would love to see a JPS back on the tracks, black and golden… that was one fine piece of art!! Unfortunately, we won’t see it again….

6. Mike "the bike" Schumacher said on 15th September 2009, 22:27

How can the F.I.A. chose a team, with only a model of a car, from the wrong year and terrible livary, over lola who already have a basic design for next years car. why have they also accepted B.M.W.s new owners as a reserve team and possible 14th entrant, why not BMW before Team malaysia. I HATE teams named after countries, it just doesn’t sound good and if the owners are not willing to put their own name on the car it sounds like a lack of interest. Its worse though, taking a prestigous name like lotus and probably dragging it through the mud. Does this mean they get records lotus set, for just having money? New teams coming into F1 should have a racing history in Gp2 F3 etc. not just stealing one. Looks like its still only people who have money and want to make more can enter F1 rather than enthusiasts. They may have 1990s level of spending and teams but theres no comparison between Tyrell, Brabham, Jordan, Minardi the real Lotus team, and USF1, Campos, and the fake Lotus team.
    If its not the lotus car company its NOT lotus.
    Sorry got a bit carried away.

7. Four Six Tango said on 15th September 2009, 22:29

Couldn’t they have gotten a Minichamps model to paint over lol! That thing looks like complete crap!

I wouldn’t be surprised if this team vanished by 2011 its just seems like F1 is going to be to much money for these guys to handle

8. ‘The cars will be made in Malaysia, by Malaysians.’

And that is why it should not be called Lotus.

• Mussolini's Pet Cat said on 15th September 2009, 22:40

hear, hear

• Erm, but Lotus IS owned by Proton – the Malaysian car manufacturer and has been since 1994.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a Brit and fiercely proud of our sports car heritage, but short of Morgan or TVR joining the grid, can’t see a way forward here. Jaguar is owned by an Indian company (Tata? Guys who made the cheapest even car recently? Could be wrong). Bentley is a VW and Rolls Royce is a BMW. Lotus IS Malaysian now. Be proud of where it all started though.

I would be the first to admit that I would love to see a return to the days when cars drove under their national racing colour, drivers smoked 40 a day, and Damon’s mum stood on the pit wall doing the timing, actually helping the effort (never seen Tag Hauer’s hair-do, but she keeps a much lower profile).

But with today’s economic climate, there arn’t going to be any cars in British Racing Green.

And in reply to all the negative comments about team names including the country name, BRM’s team name was actually British Racing Motors.

Good luck to ‘em I say. Not sorry to see and grand ole name like Lotus back on the grid myself. But if people really value F1 team history, there is only one Scuderia Ferrari.

• Jay Menon said on 16th September 2009, 2:08

Although, I’m dead against this idea, I have to agree with Salty here. Lotus is technically not British anymore, its owned by the Malaysian government. So there is technically nothing wrong in calling it Lotus. If you disagree, why not call Jaguar Tata and Roll Royce BMW? While you’re at it, might as well call Lamborghini Audi. What ever said and done, the design and engineering will still come from the vastly experienced British engineers.

The whole idea of Malaysian’s building the car is a little far fethched for now. I am not doubting my countrymen’s capabilities, we’re definitely on par (if not better than) with the rest of world in various sectors, but building cars, race cars above all, is not exactly our forte.

I think the colour scheme is ridiculous, and I’m very suprised the FIA granted them a spot on the grid. This is technically building a team from the ground up, and they expect to build a functioning car in less that 6 months!!!?

I was hoping this wouldn’t happen, I have already expressed my thought in my article Keith kindly posted last week.

F1 is turning into a Mickey Mouse sport. This reminds of the late 70’s and 80’s when just about anyone could run a F1 team.

• Prisoner Monkeys said on 16th September 2009, 6:29

I think the colour scheme is ridiculous,

It’s just a model. Car liveries are usually dictated by sponsors.

and I’m very suprised the FIA granted them a spot on the grid.

The FIA said it was a strong proposal. Until we know the details or see them on-track, we can’t rightly judge it.

They don’t have to: Lola already have a 50% scale model that they would have used if they had made the grid. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a Lotus-Lola – “Lolotusa” – on the grid for 2010, and a straight Lotus from 2011.

• Mussolini's Pet Cat said on 16th September 2009, 11:53

Ok, good points, BUT, my problem is that there is NO British involvement.. Designed and built by Malaysians…Its just a cheap marketing exercise.

• Prisoner Monkeys said on 16th September 2009, 14:23

But does there have to be? This incarnation of Lotus has made it clear that they’re a separate entity to the Lotus of old. While they intend to stick to the original team as closely as possible, they are under no illusions and seek to forge their own identity. They don’t want to be the Lotus of old, but they do want to supplement it. They’ve already said that their goal is to be the best of the new teams for 2010, which is a pretty modest approach, and far better than most new teams who declare that they want to be fighitng for victories winthin three years of joining or whatever. How many have done that in recent times?

And how is there no British invovlement? The team will be based in Norfolk until facilities can be constructed at Sepang, and Mike Gascoyne is technical director. And with six months until Melbourne, they may have no choice but to buy a chassis from Lola. Hell, it wouldn’t surpise me if the team asked Lola to continue with its development because they wanted to join the sport and they’d need a chassis.

• Mussolini's Pet Cat said on 18th September 2009, 8:50

If they are soooo keen on being separate from Lotus of old, then why call it LOTUS?????? An insulting & tawdry marketing exercise, that’s why!

9. Fer no. 65 said on 15th September 2009, 22:49

Maybe it is radical

but it’s horrible as hell!

10. Raceaddict said on 15th September 2009, 22:49

F1Outsider beat me to it. This is VOMIT on wheels.

Let’s see what livery I can think of that has been worse….(thinks) nope, (thinks again) nope, (thinks again) nope, (and) nope. Not even the 917 Pink Pig can touch this.

Never has the hand of a graphic designer touched this job. It was probably design by committee with the comp made by some underling in the company’s (non) art department or paint shop.

Where is Ian Hutchinson or David Aronson when we need them?

11. I’m voting for the green and gold of Lotus, possibly with the dark blue and turquoise of Petronas, all rolled up into what could be a fairly nice looking yellow-green-blue livery.

Thats what I think next year’s car will look like. Not this candy cane cloud… thing.

12. Even Mattel could make something for Barbie (or Ken) nicer than this.

13. Good. I don’t care what you think of the livery (I don’t much like it myself) but we have no idea what it will be.

What’s important here is that this is a promising step towards a new team on the grid in 2010, along with the others. We need new teams. Our last newly originated team on the grid was what? They’re all connected to a previous team, if not a longtime F1 mainstay like Ferrari or Williams. USF1, Campos, Lotus and the possible BMW buyer is what the sport needs as manufacturers like Honda and BMW drop, with Toyota and Renault possibly threatening.

• Agree. New blood for F1 is good. Folks don’t like change, but 26 cars not 20, new drivers and new teams that arn’t sell-ons can only help take the sport forward.

14. Malaysia step forward again, I support malaysia.