Fernando Alonso should renounce his Singapore Grand Prix ‘win’

Nelson Piquet Jnr, Renault, Singapore, 2008F1 has been dogged by scandal after scandal in recent years.

In 2005 we had the Indianapolis farce, two years later brought the ‘spygate’ row, last year was dominated by Mosley’s sadomasochism scandal, and the first half of this year was taken up with the budget cap crisis.

I won’t claim a sufficiently encyclopaedic knowledge of sport to make that claim, although it’s gained some favourable responses on Twitter. But it’s hard to think of a worse example from F1’s history.

There have, of course, been other occasions where drivers have crashed or spun on purpose. Alain Prost hit Ayrton Senna in 1989, and Senna hit Prost back in 1990. Michael Schumacher hit Damon Hill in 1994 and Jacques Villeneuve in 1997.

Like Piquet’s crash, these all involved drivers risking the lives of themselves and others, though admittedly to varying degrees – Senna piled into Prost at around 150mph, Schumacher was doing rather less when he took out Hill.

But what sets the Renault case apart is the offensive cynicism of a team ordering one driver to risk injury or worse in a crash to benefit his team mate.

It was not just Piquet at risk – but spectators, marshals and other drivers. The impact showered debris across the track – and recent accidents have left us in no doubt of the terrible risks that presents.

It’s one thing to have a team like McLaren being caught using a rival team’s confidential information. That’s obviously wrong and must be punished – but it doesn’t put anyone’s life at risk.

The FIA may have offered Piquet immunity from punishment but he should not be immune from criticism. Renault’s plan was disgusting but his willingness to go along with it in the hope of promoting his career was cowardly.

It raises all sorts of questions. Was anyone besides Briatore, Symonds and Piquet involved? Had Renault, or any other team, tried this sort of thing before? Have they done since?

And given the manner in which he scored this ‘victory’, should Fernando Alonso now publicly deny the credit for it? I think he should – regardless of whether he knew about it or not (and so far there is no evidence that indicates he was aware of it).

A two-times world champion has no need of tainted triumphs handed to him in a corrupt fashion. He proved that well enough with his victory at Fuji in the very next race.

In 2006 he told the world he no longer considered F1 a sport after being handed a joke of a penalty by the Monza stewards. Now it’s time for Alonso to tell us his no longer considers Singapore 2008 one of his Grand Prix wins.

Renault Singapore crash controversy

Browse all comment articles

Image ?? Singapore GP/Sutton

286 comments on Fernando Alonso should renounce his Singapore Grand Prix ‘win’

1. Rob R. said on 17th September 2009, 5:03

“It is the worst single piece of cheating in the history of sport.”

I guess the guy who wrote this article, has never heard of Mara-bleeding-dona at the World Cup 1986? Wait, what am I to expect from Simon Barnes, this is the kind of pompous rubbish he puts out regularly……

I don’t really care that Renault stole this race. If it was me, I would just let it slide. But then, “if it was me”, I would never have come up with such a ridiculous safety car rule that we had last year! It’s the FIA’s fault that this ridiculous scandal happened. It’s the FIA’s fault that F1 a laughing stock yet again. Careless, poorly thought out rulemaking is what leads to rubbish like this!

2. But F1’s latest row, over Renault ordering Nelson Piquet Jnr to crash during the Singapore Grand Prix, is surely the worst yet. Indeed one writer has already called it the worst act of cheating in any sport.

I agree this is the worst because is the first time we have been able to see the evidence of 2 Top Managers planning, in cold blood, to put one driver life at risk just for a bunch of points, not even a win not to say a Championship.

Prost, Senna, Schumacher incidents, despite are very much regrettable, were made by drivers fighting for a championship in the heat of the moment.

It’s the first time we have seen most of the evidence of one affair, so at the end, it’s quite similar to the effect of those photos that make history transmitting a crude reality that everybody “knew” but nobody had seen (or felt).

3. Richard said on 17th September 2009, 6:23

Frankly im surprised Keith is just going to assume quilt before the hearing. Im sure Flav and Pat were forced to resign by Renault for getting into this public relations nightmare and the handling of piquet jnr. They made him extremly bitter.
    I still dont see the motive in all this. The season was long lost. They made the car competative ok but knowing how radicaly different the cars would be in 2009 it was no indicator of future success. Also they had no way to know Alonso would get into 1st position. Your not going to cheat just to gain a few positions or get a point or two.
    Piquet jnr is so bitter as is his father, it just looks like emotional lashing out. Remember Max was very angry after Flav’s comments about him. Mosley could be looking for pay back. The telemetry is circumstanial evidence, its Piquets word against Flav no way to prove for sure.
    As for Alonso, would he chance his two titles and his whole career and legacy for one possible win? Why wait till last races of the season? Unless the FIA has some yet to be revealed hard evidence i just cant how it all fits together.

• Keith assumed nothing, Renault admitted. And there is motivation – keeping Alonso, convincing management to continue with f1 program and the publicity from winning 1st night race in F1.

Telemetry is hard physical evidence and we got admission of guilt from Renault. Safety car gave Alonso chance to get on top of order, he wouldn’t be there on merit if not for safety car period at exact time it happend.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 17th September 2009, 8:55

Frankly im surprised Keith is just going to assume quilt before the hearing.

I’m not assuming any guilt on Alonso’s part.

• Bigbadderboom said on 17th September 2009, 9:42

It’s not even about guilt on Alonsos part, it’s simply about doing the right thing and retaining some credability for himself from this mess. I personally don’t believe that Alonso was aware of a “Crash Plan” but he made had his own suspicions, but why raise them? Why would he discuss them? He had won the race, and what need would there be for Flav and Pat to discuss it with Alonso, they needed the win for the team and themselves, and in a way Alonso may have been a pawn in their game. But even though he may be unaware, it would still be right to make a public statement and renounce the victory IMHO. For Sure

• sato113 said on 17th September 2009, 17:57

Keith, just to calm people down i think you should change the title of this article to a question rather than a statement.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 17th September 2009, 21:36

No, because I stand by my opinion. I have not said that Alonso is responsible for what happened or that he knew about it. But I do feel it’s in his best interests to publicly distance himself from what happened.

Besides, do you really think it would change people’s opinions if I changed the title to a question? I don’t see how.

• sato113 said on 18th September 2009, 14:43

i agree that he should renounce his win, but i can see alot of people are getting angry at you for stating your opinion, (which is great i think!). just a suggestion, keep up the good work. B)

• sato113 said on 18th September 2009, 14:43

i agree that he should renounce his win, but i can see alot of people are getting angry at you for stating your opinion, (which is great i think!). just a suggestion. neway keep up the good work. B)

• sato113 said on 18th September 2009, 14:48

sorry for the double post! p.s i obviously mean i think its great to see ur opinion. I don’t mean to say i think it’s great people are getting angry. lol

4. invisiblekid said on 17th September 2009, 6:44

At the people saying how can there be no winner if alonso gets DQ’d etc.

Someone in another post linked to a rule whereby ( and something along the lines of

” the results from a previous race or season cannot be altered after that season is finished ”

So I don’t think Alonso’s win will be stripped and no-one get moved up. If they could do that, then it could mean a team would have more points at the end of it, but no get any extra money etc.

Oh to all those over the numerous news articles bleating on about how if there was no crash, then Lewis would not be champion, the entire would would have been different and would by now have life on Mars……give it rest will ya?

• Ronman said on 17th September 2009, 7:02

That would be a start, but renouncing that win means selling out his team.

Fernando might be stuck in a tight place. selling out the team that gave him a chance and 2 titles because of two sleazy cheats?

as much as i hate what is happening, my feelings about Fernando’s involvement are mixed, if he is involved he has to be kicked out, if not, he should be banned with the team for the rest of this season, and then let on his own device for next season….

5. Fast Lada said on 17th September 2009, 7:20

What a way to win your first GP, have a trophy handed over to you. (For Nico). Alosno should keep it or give it in to the FIA or whoever…Out of interest how did you work that one out Jorge?

6. Trying to establish a baseline for how sensational this event is is a interesting question.

While risking ones life and the lives of others is clearly bad there is some amount of difficulty with this in the context of F1. Should the racing stop because there is a risk of injuring somebody? No. So the drivers know that, for example, overtaking has a risk of injury to themselves and the other drivers and yet we want to encourage that. However deliberately crashing does contain intent in it.

On the other hand we have a wide collection of examples in F1 where one team mate who is clearly about to win the race has handed over the win to another driver. Why didn’t the FIA defend gamblers in those cases? Why only now. In some ways (ignoring the danger to peoples lives temporarily) I find the blatant team play of a driver being forced to sacrifice their win for a team mate sticks in the craw more than what amounts (ignoring the danger to peoples lives temporarily) to quite a clever strategy of vastly improving one of your driver’s positions.

I’ll say this baldly so as to not be confusing. Both of these things are wrong, both of them are cheating, but both of them are similar. One is more dangerous than the other, but pulling over before the line has always highlighted that to some the team is more important than their win.

In other sports we have seen doping which has often been very dangerous for Athlete’s.

And we have seen in many sports for the sake of betting that people such as boxers have deliberately lost so that somebody can make money on them. Surely from a sporting perspective that is worse?

Finally of course we have the tragic example of Tonya Harding http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonya_Harding#The_Kerrigan_attack and many others. Even the milder form in F1 of deliberately downing a competitor by crashing into them seems to me worse. You have more danger, all the cheating and yes in some cases (not F1) you have injuries to competitors.

I would say that there have been worse cases of cheating in other sports for sure, and in the case of F1 this is certainly up there, but may not even be the worst.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 17th September 2009, 8:58

The Tonya Harding one is an interesting example (although it means classifying figure skating as a sport, not sure about that one…).

Yes but only for the athletes – Piquet;s crash put marshals, spectators and other competitors at risk.

• Well yes… I can see the argument… I guess the Olympics committee say it is. But seriously these things happen more often than we’d like.

And a driver crashing into another one?

• If I remember well, we were able to definilety classify F1 as a sport because it is “an activity, pastime, competition, etc that usually involves a degree of physical exertion”. Not that I am really wanting to defend figure skating but we can’t deny that the argument we often use to justify F1 is a sport, can apply there.

7. Kayser Soze said on 17th September 2009, 7:35

This is like the Hamilton case – “I was told to do so, so I did it.” Then the bosses got sacked.

8. Mutton said on 17th September 2009, 7:58

This by no means is the worst act of cheating. It’s certainly unsportsmanlike, but you could even say it has been tactics similar to the good-old Schumi days.

Sold matches are much worse. The Harlequins-gate in rugby is much worse. Intentionally hurting an opponent is much worse.

That said, the involved parties still need to be heavily fined and stripped of the win. The Alonso bashing is only valid if he is indeed involved, so far that has not been proven.

• Unless you’re referring to another incident, how is the Harlequins-gate scandal much worst? Asking a player to fake a blood injury is hardly dangerous as opposed to asking a driver to crash a car into a brick wall at high speed.

But cheating is cheating, whether it’s faking a blood injury, deliberately crashing a car, diving in the penalty area or taking performance enhancing drugs. It is a sad reflection of the current state of sport with huge amounts of money at stake and pressures place on sports people to perform; resulting in unsportsmanlike risks being taken. At the end of the day there are very few winners and many losers. The biggest loser being the fan as the sport stops being a sport.

9. I agree that Alonso should renounce his win only if he was involved in the planning of the whole thing.

Even if he suspected something afterwards and even if he might have found out the truth about it, I don’t think it’s easy to come out and say “Look people, MY TEAMMATE followed the orders of MY MANAGER so MY TEAM could get a victory for ME. It was all fixed, so, now you can start to BAN MY TEAM from the sport and leave ME jobless for the rest of the year, ok?”

If he was not involved in the planning, he shouldn’t be stripped of his win and trophy. I’ll use a “what if” to make my point, even though “if’s” are something I usually hate. Let’s say Alonso was fighting for the title against Hamilton and Massa. Let’s say Alonso had a gearbox problem and abandoned the race in the early stages. Then, Briatore, knowing the pit-stop strategies of the adversaries tells Piquet to crash, in order to bring the safety car in and ruin Hamilton’s and Massa’s race, and handing a maiden win to an innocent Rosberg. Would you say Rosberg should renounce his win because Flavio Briatore is retarded?

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 17th September 2009, 9:16

Regarding your hypothetical situation, I would say no, because Renault’s plan was not designed to help Rosberg win.

It would be a show of integrity and sportsmanship, two things F1 badly needs to rediscover after this latest incident.

• I think the smart thing for Alonso to do right now, assuming he is innocent, is to come forward and say “I knew nothing about what was going on, I am appalled that the team behaved in this way, I don’t need to cheat to win races and so I no longer consider this a race I won.”

Totally agree.

• Mutton said on 17th September 2009, 9:56

agreed

• Spaniard said on 17th September 2009, 10:02

Lets not fool ourselves, F1 fans secretly (or openly in some cases) love the controversy and conspiracies that now form an integral part of the “sport”.

If F1 was 100% integrity and sportsmanship and lacked the scandals, cheating, arrogance, foul-play, and all the front-page headlines, gossip and rumours these bring, then I suspect your viewership would decrease substantially.

• Ok, you make perfect sense here. That’s exactly the what I want to hear him say, but the problem is he doesn’t have much choice – he’s either a cheat or an idiot. If he took part in the scheme, he was cheating, if he didn’t suspect anything, he’s an idiot. The only thing I might have a little hope of is that maybe he is so, so so arrogant that Briatore and Symonds actually convinced him that he could make a lot of overtaking and get in at lap 12, not for winning the race, but for drawing the cameras for 12 laps and making the sponsors happy. Then he won after a “very lucky” 12 laps because he’s Alonso and god is with him. But I don’t think even he is so self centered and blindly arrogant to pull this story off.

• S Hughes said on 17th September 2009, 12:07

Totally agree Keith, but Nando may not have the acting skills Brando to pull that off.

It would be the smart thing for Alonso to do, but only if assuming he is innocent, which I don’t think is the case.

Starting 15th on a street-track with just 14 laps worth of fuel, why would Alonso agree to such a strategy in the first place?

Unless he received a wink from Flavio and / or Symonds while finalizing the strategy, I can’t see him taking up this strategy.

And if he is indeed involved, he needs to come out in the open and accept his responsibility, and apologize, like Hamilton did at Malaysia.

In my opinion, Alonso should not keep his mouth shut AT ALL. He needs to come out with his side of the story ASAP. Since, his silence would be interpreted in a myriad different ways by the paddock which could harm his chances of securing a race seat elsewhere in the future, assuming Renault withdraws from the sport, which is very very likely now.

• S Hughes said on 17th September 2009, 14:24

I can only conclude that Alonso must be a bit thick if he didn’t work out what had happened (unless he was in on it of course).

• Williams4ever said on 17th September 2009, 15:13

A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject.
            That pretty much describes all your responses when two names Hamilton and Alonso come into any discussion.
            If good to be fan of a driver, but evaluation of any situation must be balanced. The Logic if it is driver A everything is right and if it is driver B everything is wrong and vice-versa is flawed logic, which you seem to apply in all your posts related to these two drivers….

• Williams4ever said on 17th September 2009, 15:10

His team had tried aggressive strategies before and after Singapore and sometimes they did stick… Everyone has harped on this possibility zillion times on this and many many other forums. So enough of that He must have known theory.

• you must mean wasn’t, right?

• I agree that would be lovely… but until we reassign heaven knows how many wins and podiums attained on a dubious basis, Alonso would be setting himself up for a metaphorical kicking. It would certainly be taken by many as an admission of complicity.

I’m afraid in the real world, Bismark’s maxim of ‘Never apologise, never explain’ will get you further, and in the cut-throat world of F1, further still. Renouncing the win would be seen as a sign of weakness, and much of Alonso’s edge is, like Schumacher’s and Senna’s, built on an aura of non-compromise. At a sports psychology level, it would be harmful to his own performance. Once you start to question the morality of a situation, you extend that to future events and lose the ruthless focus required to win.

10. Meander said on 17th September 2009, 8:36

I think, if Alonso was in on it or not, his image is Noe finally damaged, probably beyon repair.
    If it is true that Ferrari were working out a deal with him, then I doubt that they would still want such a tarnished name in the team. Even if they have a signed deal, I’m sure there’s a clause somewhere about what happens if it is bad for their brand.
    In a way Alonso might already be heavily punished – his carreer may suffer greatly due to this.

• hollus said on 17th September 2009, 8:55

Alosnso’s image is certainly in a bad spot.
      He either knew about it or didn’t know about it. In both cases we are likely to never really know.
      If he was in the plot, surely there are no records, no meetings, no radio conversations, nothing to prove it.
      If he wasn’t, then of course there is nothing to prove that he was in it, but also there is nothing to prove that he wasn’t.
      Either way, most likely he can’t be proved either innocent or guilty, and a “maybe” will stick to most people’s heads.

11. Nirupam said on 17th September 2009, 8:42

Frankly I am sick of hearing all these Alonso bashing staff. Without any sort of evidence whatsoever we have almost conclulded that he knew all these and definitely he was part of it. How absurd! I am an Alonso fan, but if it is proved that he knew all, I will be the first one to give him a bash. Till then can we please stop making all these random assumptions?

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 17th September 2009, 8:59

I haven’t made any assumption that Alonso was guilty:

Given the manner in which he scored this ‘victory’, should Fernando Alonso now publicly deny the credit for it? I think he should – regardless of whether he knew about it or not (and so far there is no evidence that indicates he was aware of it).

• Bigbadderboom said on 17th September 2009, 9:48

Don’t always agree with you Keith but got to say, why are people so defensive of Alonso when he is not being attacked. ITS NOT ABOUT GUILT PEOPLE. It’s about doing the right thing, Alonso actually has an opportunity to score some points for himself and Renault with the public. For tyhe record I don’t think he is guilty in terms of planning or even being compliant.

• Nirupam said on 17th September 2009, 10:15

Hi Keith,

I haven’t made any assumption that Alonso was guilty:

you did not, but so many others did! In fact the comments section starts with one such assummption. All what I want to say is we do prefer one driver or another. But only because I don’t like certain driver, I should not post biased comments.

12. Firstly, Alonso has done nothing wrong. If your going to point fingers at Alonso simply because he is under Renault pay roll, then you need to point them at the entire team as well as any one who had links to the team.

Really, this whole “Alonso also knew” stuff is utter crap. You sound like a bunch of kids.

Until the council has released their verdict, Renault are still innocent. Just because the two people at the heart of the whole thing have been fired, does not mean the team is guilty.

And really, why on earth would Flav go and tell Alonso of his plans? He probably did it to keep Alonso in the team more than anything, and if Alonso knew the result was staged, it would not have been a reason to stay.

• patrickl said on 17th September 2009, 10:15

It’s not about doing something wrong, it’s about doing the right thing.

The win is tainted and he should expres his disgust over the situation and say that that is not how he wants to win.

• How are they innocent when they accepted guilt? The hearing will now only have to determine the punishment for this conspiracy.

13. tEQUILLA sLAMMER said on 17th September 2009, 9:29

I wish all these journos would stop the sensationalism and insistence that someone could have been injured or killed in this pretty lame crash!!! Piquet just full throttled it when he was turning left and spun it backwards into the wall!!! All the ****** about “Spectators or other drivers could have been injured or killed” is a load of *****!! #:) Flashio may have wanted to influence the race but he sure as hell wasnt looking to get anyone killed!!! #:)

14. Kutigz said on 17th September 2009, 9:40

Argue as much as you all want friends; but it just isn’t earthly & heavenly possible that Alonso doesn’t know an inch about this grande plan! There is not an absolute coincedence to the pit, refill, crash, win strategy that Renault took!

15. I can certainly go along with the argument that Alonso didn’t know anything about the incident before the race. I don’t for one second think any driver would allow another driver to risk their life so he could win a race. He would have told everyone not to be so damn stupid.
    What I do think is possible, though, is that he was made aware after the race of what had been done. Surely all these people talk to each on a regular basis. Wouldn’t Piquet want Alonso to know what a massive favour he had done for him and get credit for it. When Alonso said how lucky he was to win that race, wouldn’t Piquet have said “Well, actually …” After all, the reason he did it, we assume, was to try and gain favour with the team.
    If that was the case, it raises the question as to what Alonso should have done about it. Would he have had a resposibility to report the matter or would it have been enough for him to express his disgust (which I am sure he would have felt). Presumably it would have affected his relationship with the team. My mind doesn’t stretch back far enough to remember if I saw any signs of Alonso disaffaction with the team following Singapore.
    To me, if Alonso did know it would have been after the event in which case the only question he would have to answer is what did he do about it.

• That’s the whole problem… I am a BIG BIG Alonso fan, I’ve been cheering for him since his Minardi days, but I just can’t go along with the idea that he didn’t know anything until a couple of weeks ago. He’d have to be really stupid. He probably found out after the race, after the joy of winning a “lucky” race was over. Then what could he do? He could have been a very proud and elegant man and told everyone about his suspicions, but… how would he ever PROVE it? I mean, Piquet was the guy DOING it and he has a lawsuit against him going on. Alonso would be making “false allegations” based on something he only suspected, and had no way to prove. Against his team-mate, manager and team. Isn’t that a BIT difficult to decide on?

• And that’s probably also the reason why he hasn’t said anything yet. If he says “I didn’t know anything up until now” he’ll be lying. If he says the truth, it would be something like “I didn’t know when I won, but aftewards I suspected something was fishy, but I just didn’t say anything because it was too much trouble and I don’t take honesty and truth seriously enough to jeopardize my career.”

I think the BEST thing he can do is to shut his mouth about this forever, but not because he’s in the wrong, but because it’s a very very complex situation.

• patrickl said on 17th September 2009, 13:47

Actually Alonso DID say that he didn’t know about it until now.

I’m exactly like you BTW. Have been admiring Alonso since his Minardi days. His esteem in my eyes got a huge dent after his McLaren episode (being beaten by a rookie, “divo” behavior, betraying the team).

In this case I cannot believe that Alonso knew nothing. The idea that he just hears what his strategy is and doesn’t care at all just doesn’t sound right. In any case he should have realized afterwards what happened.

Not sure how he should have dealt with that though. I guess the right thing to do would be to go to the FIA, but that would mean to betray the team.

On the other hand Ecclestone also stated that he knew about this. I find it utterly bizarre that he wouldn’t have gone to Mosley with that and/or that not more came from that.

• I personally don’t have a position on Alonso’s culpability here, but here’s an interesting piece by The Times where it is reported that Alonso claimed that it was his idea to do the short fuel strategy in Singapore 08:

Alonso explained that his early pitstop was his idea, something contradicted by the transcript of the Renault pitwall tapes leaked this week, which suggest the call was made by Symonds.

“I did think about running a one-stop strategy,” Alonso said, “but all that fuel weight would have been too punishing for the brakes because there are no long straights here to keep them cool. Instead I chose a short, aggressive first stint and just waited to see what would happen.”

• Patrickl said on 18th September 2009, 13:03

So first he says he doesn’t want anything to do with strategy and then he claims it’s his idea all along and there was a good reason for it.

Sounds like someone trying to cover up a lie …

16. Spaniard said on 17th September 2009, 9:51

Lets not assume Alonso is guilty of being part of this nasty plot for now.

If that is the case, he really does not need to get involved in anything, including making statements about renouncing wins. That is the job of the F1 governing body, not Alonso. What Alonso needs to do is focus on the remainder of the season and try to ignore the circus going on around him.

• patrickl said on 17th September 2009, 10:18

Why can’t Alonso say that he doesn’t like that his team cheated to hand him that win?

That has nothing to do with wether he was involved in the crash or not.

• Nirupam said on 17th September 2009, 10:58

Most probably it is Renault contract that instructs him not to do so. May be we will have something after the hearing is over.

• Antifia said on 17th September 2009, 13:44

you mean a clause in the lines “in case we decide to cheat and let you know, you cannot tell”? And in what Mickey Mouse juridic system such a clause wouldn’t be null and void?

17. I think thats one of the reasons why Alonso got kicked out of Mclaren. Hamilton didn’t want to crash for him! He is so dominant, and now he can probably blame everything on Renault. I am sure he knows about it, and probably the one who initiated the idea too. I seriously think that FIA should investigate him too.

• Nirupam said on 17th September 2009, 10:19

I am sure he knows about it

Looks like you certainly do have something which can prove Alonso knew it all. Why don’t you help FIA by giving them the informations? (Or else you surely can make a lot of money by providing those to any of the news channels/websites!) :D

• ILoveVettel said on 17th September 2009, 21:41

LOL… I complete agree with you Nirupam :D

• alphaa said on 18th September 2009, 6:46

Weren’t we allow to make comment? I personally think that he knew about it. Thats my opinion, not fact nor evidence you meat head.
        How can you not knew about it, when you were part of the few people who made decision for team? I can let him get away initiating the idea, but as part of the team you must had feel strange about the sudden crash and the win. If massa didnt mess up his pit, I think people would of think twice about the strange crash.

Can anyone here prove that he didnt know about it? I would like to hear more.

• Nirupam said on 18th September 2009, 10:45

When you are making an aligation then is not it your responsibility to prove it? I would like you to go through this
          You will find all the radio transcripts available from the event as well.

18. Ashes1991 said on 17th September 2009, 10:33

I am not one of Alonso’s biggest fans at all. But I am pretty sure he had no idea, the main thing that makes mr think that is obviously the evidence pointing towards him not knowing. And the fact the way he celebrated afterwards. He looked really happy and proud of him self. Which I think makes him have no knowledge of this, other wise if he did know about this he is a very sad man, and has dripped down my estimations even more.

I can’t see Alonso as a driver being happy knowing the only way he won, was through cheating, I just can’t see it at all. Mind you, Schumacher is still happy to say he is 7 times world champion after Adelaide 1994.

19. well alonso was strong on singapore last year and then had that incident to screw up his qualifying but if he didnt have that he probably would of won it. I doubt it very much alonso knew what Flavio was up to and alonso was just lead to believe it was just luck. but alonso isnt stupid i reckon he had thoughts how it happend but couldn’t believe it and was just told by flavio “dont ask” or “the least you know the better” phrases. Alonso wont be affected by this because Piquet jnr was the fallout guy not alonso and Flavio treats Alonso like a son and he wouldnt want to risk destoying his career for 1 win.

20. He should renounce the win…if Piquet renounces his second place at Hockenheim. If Alonso was unaware of any plot, they’re both just beneficiaries of the timing of a pit stop and a safety car.

At least Alonso won…I’m still sure Piquet could have put up a better fight against Hamilton.