Singapore Grand Prix organiser says: “There’s no such thing as bad publicity”

Has the Singapore scandal brought F1 some useful publicity?

Has the Singapore scandal brought F1 some useful publicity?

The Singapore Grand Prix organisers say they are not concerned that the Renault scandal has detracted from last year’s inaugural F1 race.

Singapore GP CEO Michael Roche told F1 Fanatic:

They say that there is no such thing as bad publicity. The governance of Formula 1 is strictly the responsibility of the FIA. However the World Council investigations may turn out, Singapore is always going to go down in history as having created a truly memorable event.

We feel that event fully delivered on the spectacle, drama and excitement that we promised in bringing Formula One to Singapore.

Fernando Alonso in fact produced one of the most spectacular overtaking moves of the race, when he passed Nico Rosberg for the lead at Turn Seven. Felipe Massa and the Ferrari team produced high drama in the pit lane, while Kimi Raikkonen was one of several drivers who demonstrated the challenges of the Marina Bay circuit.

Despite the recent controversy, the Singapore Grand Prix was an international success that gained Singapore accolades around the world. Any visitor to the 2008 event should be proud that they experienced history in seeing Formula One’s first-ever night race.

We are now fully focussed on ensuring that the 2009 event builds on that success and the continuing ticket sales, now past 85% sold-out, bears witness the the race?s continuing popularity.

Whenever there is a scandal like this one (and it happens a lot these days) there are always some who suggest that such affairs are good for the sport because it keeps it in the headlines.

But there must be a limit to the amount of bad publicity a sport can get before the public turn off and sponsors start leaving.

Fans who shelled out their own money to go the race are not likely to share the view that this sort of publicity is ultimately good for F1. Here’s a comment left on this site by David, who was at the race last year:

I am so angry, I am from London and went to Singapore last year for the first night race, had an amazing time, the race was exciting and interesting, got amazing photos, and most of all have a great memory of running down the pit straight at the end, climbing the fence opposite the podium and seeing the podium ceremony complete with Flavio on the podium.

Now I feel cheated!

I am heading to Singapore again on Monday, if I hadn?t already paid for everything I wouldn?t go! I am actually shocked about this!

Do you think the kind of publicity F1 has had from the Renault scandal benefits the sport?

Renault Singapore crash controversy

73 comments on Singapore Grand Prix organiser says: “There’s no such thing as bad publicity”

1. I’d quite like to be able to say I was at one of the most infamous races in history… one to tell the grand kids. Better than saying ‘I was at Barcelona watching a race with no over-taking or interest whatsoever’ as is usually the case…

• Good point. That’s the way I’m choosing to look at it. TBH, this hasn’t really soured my feelings at all about the race. I don’t know why. Maybe if the revelations had’ve come earlier, I’d feel different.

As it is, I still have great memories of a famous, and now infamous, race. Of course I am aware I’d prolly be braying for blood if it were Ferrari found to be being a bit dodgy (or if I’d been at Spa 2 weeks earlier). Such is the life of a partisan F1 fan ;)

2. Raceaddict said on 19th September 2009, 20:17

And much better one than the six car Indianapolis farce of 2005….

3. David A said on 19th September 2009, 23:08

@mp4-19b.
    The track rules on elevation changes are probably what kill off chances of going to Laguna Seca. Ridiculous I know.

• Martin said on 20th September 2009, 2:14

Yes, but it is tracks like laguna seca that seperate out the abilities of the drivers. Road America is another good track Spa is another track of that quality, to see mika or schumacher go thru eau rouge and not lift and keep the car on the track and overtake others up the hill like they where running from a pack of rabid dogs is why they could win at that track with lesser cars. The fights between mika and micheal were so good it was frightening.
      San Marino and the turn known as Tamburello was excellent also even though it was involved in senna’s death was another great part of a track that seperated out drivers. Old hochenheimwas another great track before and after they put in some of the chicanes just because it was a speed track like monza. I also like interlagos and zandxoort, paul ricard had alot of good points. All these tracks had a character and the great drivers drove them well, the lesser ones just got in the way.

• Jonathan said on 20th September 2009, 18:31

Tamburello killed two drivers in 1994 and nearly killed Barrichello! That’s not the sort of “separating out” we want to see!

Whatever you think of the entertainment value of the Tilke circuits, they are designed with safety in mind, and that is a good thing.

• Martin said on 21st September 2009, 2:25

Racing is a dangerous sport.. It is the drivers resposibility to know his and his cars limits. Senna died because something on his car broke, it could have bee just as easily at one the other tracks and then we would have said they were dangerous. When cars break and the driver has no control no amount of runoff is going to save them, even a precious tilke circuit will kill someone if the conditions are right and then what are you going to say. Whenthe f2 driver was killed this year by a flying tire, it was sad but it could have been anyone else on the tracck and then if it was a driver of lesser know lineage would there have been the outpouring of comments about it, probably not. It doesnt lessen the anguish for his family but it was just bad luck. I could be killed tommorrow by another car and none of it be my fault, just bad luck. Dont distort bad luck into unsafe tracks because there are 25 other drivers out there that didnt wreck and you did doesnt make the track bad.
          Alot of you have grown up so sheltered that you dont want to take resposibility for your actions, you want your safety legislated and guaranteed by another authority, guess what if that is what you want pretty soon you wont have f1 you will have f-none because nobody will watch this watered down version of what it is becoming.
          Prost, Piquet, Mansell, Senna, where the last of the real racers on real tracks. I dont believe they would care for the circuits that are being used now.
          I bet Donnington park will be a great dissapoinbtment also.

• choosing to go racing is choosing to take an inherent risk. When cars travel at speed, there is large energies involved, and hence risk if it goes wrong. Should the isle of man be banned? No. They are grown men who know the risk, and know the consequences of that risk before they choose to take it. Otherwise, they may as well race in closed wheel, closed cockpit, giant car-parks with the track painted on. I agree with martin and dsob.

4. Apalling. These comments from singapore show that a danger of dispersing F1 to these horrible venues, greater than the proliferation of horrible tilke-tracks, is vesting its promotion in the hands of more people who only care for the sport insofar as it fills their bank accounts.

The reference to crashes by Raikkonen and others as further entertainment value is additionally disgusting.

5. The Limit said on 22nd September 2009, 4:27

No! But then Bernie Ecclestone does not see it like that does he. I feel sorry for those who paid top dollar to see the 2008 Singapore Gp and feel cheated, everybit as I did at Indy in 2005 and Austria in 2002.
    In this sentence though, I have already made my point. Despite previous certain dodgy races the fans still, on the whole, keep spending their money.