2010 F1 calendar has 19 races, starts in Bahrain and ends in Brazil

Interlagos will host the 2010 F1 season finale

Interlagos will host the 2010 F1 season finale

Update: The 2010 F1 calendar has now been confirmed. See the full calendar here: 2010 F1 calendar

The 2010 F1 calendar revealed by the FIA today has 19 rounds. That equals the record for the most races in a season, set in 2005.

The championship will start in Bahrain, as it did in 2006. The season finale will return to Interlagos in Brazil, which held the final round of the championship last year.

South Korea’s first F1 Grand Prix has been confirmed, and following this year’s debacle the start time for the Malaysian Grand Prix has moved forward. Here is the official 2010 F1 calendar in full:

2010 F1 calendar

March 12-14th – Bahrain Grand Prix
March 26-28th – Australian Grand Prix
April 2nd-4th – Malaysian Grand Prix
April 16-18th – Chinese Grand Prix
May 7-9th – Spanish Grand Prix
May 20-23rd – Monaco Grand Prix
May 28-30th – Turkish Grand Prix
June 11-13th – Canadian Grand Prix (contract pending)
June 25-27th – European Grand Prix (Valencia)
July 9-11th – British Grand Prix
July 23-25th – German Grand Prix
July 30th – August 1st – Hungarian Grand Prix
August 27-29th – Belgian Grand Prix
September 10-12th – Italian Grand Prix
September 24-26th – Singapore Grand Prix
October 1-3rd – Japanese Grand Prix
October 15-17th – Korean Grand Prix
October 29-31st – Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
November 12-14th – Brazilian Grand Prix

The 2010 F1 schedule looks promising so far – however we have to remember that following the first announcement of this year’s calendar two races were subsequently lost – the French and Canadian rounds.

It’s a great shame there is still no French round on the calendar, but as mentioned a few weeks ago it’s great to see Canada make a return.

Although the FIA hasn’t confirmed any venues (except to say that the European Grand Prix will remain at Valencia, albeit two months earlier), most of the events will remain at their present venues.

Thankfully any notion of Spa-Francorchamps having to share its slot with the Nurburgring appears to have receded for the time being. The Hockenheimring has said it will not host an F1 race next year, so presumably the German round of the championship will be at the Nurburgring once more.

Donington Park is racing to get ready to host the British Grand Prix. If it can’t, hopefully Silverstone will be able to.

Although Bernie Ecclestone insisted he wouldn’t move the Malaysian Grand Prix start time forward, after this year’s new late start meant the race couldn’t be finished, he has apparently relented and moved it forward by an hour to 4pm.

The only new round on the 2010 calendar is the South Korean Grand Prix at Jeonnam. You can have a look at the Hermann Tilke-designed track here (but to be honest if you’re familiar with his work you can probably guess how it goes: hairpin, straight, hairpin, token squiggly bit, etc?σΤιΌ?ͺ)

This calendar is definitely arranged better than recent efforts, with few big gaps between races except for the new customary August break.

And it’s great to see F1 calendar size on the increase next year. India is supposed to join the roster the year after, so if France and the USA can make a return to I hope we have 22 races in 2011.

2010 F1 calendar

84 comments on 2010 F1 calendar has 19 races, starts in Bahrain and ends in Brazil

1. steph90 said on 21st September 2009, 21:27

Juanito you want Magny-Cours?
    I won’t notice Korea I’ll probably get it mixed up with Bahrain or Shangia, they’re all the same.

• Juanito said on 22nd September 2009, 2:54

But Magny Cours is a fastest track, some of good races were in there… but, it is in some forgotten town in France, and it’s not rentable…. :(

2. Steve_P said on 21st September 2009, 21:29

I’m really glad to see Brazil closing the season again. That is where the finish belongs. Brazil has a crazy amount of energy about Formula 1 racing. Abu Dhabi is going to be way too artificial.

I wish that one of the Spanish races would be moved to Portugal. I really do not like having two races in one country (unless FOM wants to have two GPs in America).

3. I like Bahrain, it has put on some entertaining races before. I thought the 2004, 2005 and 2006 races were very good, but recently Bahrain had faultered a bit.

4. F1.com had this note at the bottom of their calendar article –

Note: The race in Australia will start at 1700 local time, in Malaysia at 1600 local time, in Singapore at 2000 local time, and in Abu Dhabi at 1700 local time.

5. the spanish gp should be at jerez, catalyuna is such a boring race, they just need to build some roads out to jerez and we will be away, BRING BACK JEREZ!!!

• Jerez to host Spanish GP, I second this.

And Jerez is very well connected: Airport, high-speed train and motor ways.

6. At Donington, if they just build a marina and flatten all the hills, they’ll be guaranteed a race for years to come.

7. Curious, but anxious too, to see what’s going on in Korea.
    I back the idea of having Europe GP at Donington, and British at Silverstone.

Then it seems a good calendar, apart from some stupid tracks (Bahrein, China, Valencia, Singapore) that I would like to be replaced by Potrero de los funes, Portimao, something new in France (is Charade track so difficult to be revamped?) and a very quick track, Monza style, wherever you want.

8. First of all, there aren’t eight races in Asia. There are five. The last time I looked at an atlas, Bahrain, Turkey, and Abu Dhabi weren’t in Asia. Isn’t one of those countries applying to be in the European Union?

Anyway, if you take out the three Middle Eastern races, you are left with Malaysia, China, Singapore, Japan, and Korea.

Yes, Malaysia hasn’t always put on the best race. But, now that they have their own F1 team, I think we will see the atmosphere there improve.

For the admittedly few years that I have been watching F1, China usually has good racing.

I’m not going to talk about Singapore. I’m too annoyed about last year’s race.

But Suzuka? Great track, great fans, great race. And Korea? Who knows, it may just tap an unknown motor racing passion.

For me, I would keep probably four of the five Asian races, drop one of the Middle Eastern ones, and add those two in the Americas.

As for Magny-Cours is a horrible track. Get a good French track and move the European GP there.

• Journeyer (@journeyer) said on 22nd September 2009, 6:54

Erm, isn’t the Middle East part of Asia? Turkey can go either way, but it has more land mass in Asia than Europe.

Good point about Malaysia. Let’s see if they decide to watch racing again. But a tip for those looking to watch F1 on the cheap – Malaysia has probably the cheapest prices on the calendar.

China has OK racing, but I’ve been hearing bad tourist stories. Still, I’m considering going there next year if funds allow.

Singapore got unlucky last year, but the event is organized superbly, and it (along with Japan) will be the most firmly established race in Asia.

Korea is intriguing – I wanted to go next year, but it’s in October (i.e. not during our summer). It’ll probably be very cold there then – could prove to be interesting. If anything, it might see good numbers (especially from Japanese tourists).

My suggestions: drop Valencia (Euro GP) for Portimao (Portuguese GP), drop China for Paul Ricard (French GP), drop Bahrain (you have Abu Dhabi anyway) and find a way (ANY way) to get a USGP.

• Mahir C said on 22nd September 2009, 9:35

The track in Turkey is on Asian side

• Yep, Turkish track is east of the Bosphorus, so the circuit is in Asia not Europe.

And Middle East is not a continent. Definately 8 GPs in Asia.

Someone rather humourously suggested that Bernie really shouldn’t propose a Antartic Grand Prix, but let’s be honest, if Ben & Jerry’s decided to cough up the dough, we’d be there next year.

Money is EVERYTHING. Fans of F1 are just a footnote. Shame on Bernie and shame on F1 teams for letting it go so far this way.

9. Prisoner Monkeys said on 21st September 2009, 23:41

The idea behind having Bahrain as the season opener is that there is a major test there two weeks before the start of the season. They teams can leave all non-essential equipment there, saving costs.

• Yeah, plus there’s something to do with daylight savings time in Oz running into Bernie’s dumb “Twilight Racing” concept.

• Prisoner Monkeys said on 22nd September 2009, 2:46

If it attracts bigger audiences – and let’s face it, most Formula One fans come from Europe – then how is it a bad idea?

• I diden’t say it was- just wanted to add to your explination for the time change :) But I know some of the drivers diden’t like it- for safety reasons, some say- and they obviously know a bit more than I do ;)

10. Sounds good. Wish Australia was the opener but like most people I’m glad Brazil is back as the finale.

A 22 race calander would be great but I thought the most races the teams would ever agree is 20?

India and Bulgaria both want GPs, plus France and USA need to return so how many races will there be in the future?

11. AGAIN IN 2010 THE USA F1 FAN IS COMPLETELY DISMISSED AND THEY SAY THAT ATLANTA MOTORSPORTS PARK IS BEING DESIGNED BY TILKE

• I feel the pain J- believe me I hate it. Absolutely hate it.Oh well, until better heads prevail in the sport, I’ll be happy to buy tickets to MotoGP- a “World Championship” series that has not one but two races here…

As for that Atlanta track, I believe it is a Tilke design, but I also believe it’s just a club circuit and not really designed for mass spectating of any kind, much less a GP :(

• Prisoner Monkeys said on 22nd September 2009, 2:43

I don’t think Formula One needs America. If a United States Grand Prix was as essential to the championship as you guys make out, why haven’t you done more to get a race? And why has Formla One continued on without fail without you?

Until you can build a circuit that is at least as good as Montreal, forget about it.

• Well, here’s how I see it….

Every major sporting league and entertainment enterprise that I can think of wants to have a strong presence in America- it’s the World’s biggest consumer power, where lots of money is spent. That ranges from concert tours to European soccer leagues- earlier this summer I wateched more than 50,000 fans jam Quest Field in Seattle when FC Barcelona came to town. Hence my comment about MotoGP running not just one, but two races here…the promoters obviously know how many exisitng and potential fans there are here, and how big of a consumer market this is for the manufacturers and sponsors. So from a commerical point, I think that explans it.

As for the track, there are some good ones, albiet not up to FIA-spec for F1. You see, it is up to private promoters here- there is no government assistance, and in my opinion that’s how it should be here. For as much as I love the sport, I would crings at the thought of my tax dollars- federal, state, or local- going into the coffers of Bernie and CVC. And that’s where the problem lies- price. If Bernie was more reasonable, we’d have at least one if not more GPs here. But with so many other world-class sports and entertainment options available here for a fraction of the price, many of them figure why bother with a guy who brings a greta show, but demands a king’s ransome and then is rude to boot?

• Almost done, I promise…;)

In short, I don’t think F1 really “needs” America, or anywhere else for that matter. We see the same with France- a commerical power with lots of history and involvement in the sport, but no race right now. The sport will still be a success and we’ll all still tune in on TV- even if it means rolling out early over here. But if the higher-ups want the sport to be as successful as it can be in all capacities, for all parties invovled, then sure they should race here in America. It may take a bit of a different approach than elsewhere, but it will be a very worthwile effort if done right :)

And from our perspective, while I eagerly hope for the race to return, we’ve got plenty of other options for sports and entertainment. It will be really fantastic when F1 hopefully dose return, but the USA is a much differnet example than a place like Singapore, where I remember the chief promoter said they were too small for the Olympics, so an F1 race was the next best thing for international exposure. Heck, not only have we hosted the Olympics, but we’ve also dominated much of it at times, so we don’t need Bernie’s good graces to put us on the world stage.

In closing, I’ve enjoyed my reply Mr. Monkeys. If you haven’t already, I hope you have a chance to visit America someday- hopefully for a relaunched USGP. I am sure you’ll see we’re not as bad as some say, and you may even take some good memories home. Cheers :)

• just me said on 22nd September 2009, 18:08

AGAIN IN 2010 THE USA F1 FAN IS COMPLETELY DISMISSED …

As you say, jason, why should they mount a race in the US for that one F1 fan in the stands??

The rest of the US motorsport fans are over at the NASCAR track ;-)

12. Bring back Melb to #1 spot

13. Well, a better calendar in many respects, but sill some flaws for sure.

Very good to see the finale return to Interlagos. No offense to Abu Dhabi- I’m sure it will be great- but the season just dosen’t feel right if it dosen’t end in front of a big, passionate crowd. Suzuka being back is obviously a plus, while Montreal being back (which should have never gone off to begin with) is absolutley fantastic. It’s also good to see shorter gaps between races, and hopefully the South Korean deal comes through as a success- like Bahrain, lots of U.S. and allied military personnell who may turn out :)

Starting the seaosn in Bahrian is a bit different- obviously being able to do a group test there is a plus, but it’s still a shame not openeing up in Melbourne. From my understanding it’s just a temporary thing, and hopefully it’ll be abck that way next season.

Other than that, my only major complaint- as many of you can imagine- is the continued lack of a United States Grand Prix. As I stated in my reply to an earlier discussion, if the powerbrokers want to maximise the commerical potential of the sport, surely they should be racing here in America. Hopefully we’ll see something for next year, but I was saying the same thing last season..

Anyhow, the 2010 calendar is more good than bad, and that’s a good deal. Cheers everyone :)

14. ColoradoF1 said on 22nd September 2009, 4:56

2011 Calendar:

Fall 2011: USGP….somewhere

• Sweet :) Let’s have it out in your neck of the woods…we know the Broncos won’t be selling out in the fall anytime soon.

Oh wait, the Bengals blew it again….;)

15. zerogee said on 22nd September 2009, 6:08

Some interesting comments. I’d like to address some:

1) Why are people against Donington?

Because the guy who’s doing it is flying by the seat of his pants. It doesn’t matter it’s Donington, it matters that the promoter is a **** jockey who’s run out of money and, crucially, is endangering the British GP itself. Or was until Bernie and Max said it would be okay to go back to Silverstone.

2) ‘Those who think USF1 can’t be run from the US should look at the calendar.’

Not sure what this meant, but one race in North America doesn’t mean anything. I still think they’ll have trouble and I still think they’ll end up folding or migrating to Europe to save themselves.

3) Twilight racing is dumb.

No matter where it is. Being a Melbourne-ite and having grown tired of the difficulties of the Melbourne circuit access (high prices, crumbling public transport)(oh, and ignorant Ferrari fans), twilight just makes it even harder. And if it rains, it will be too dark by 5pm to start the race.

4. Geography – there *are* 8 Asian races.

Technically, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi and half of Turkey are on the Asian continent – don’t we all hear the boring old cliche of Istanbul straddling Asia and the Far East?

5. Government assistance for F1

Agreed, Gman – I think governments tipping money into these events, as Australian Governments do for all large sporting events, is throwing good money after bad. It all ends up in Bernie’s pocket and that’s fat enough as it is, thanks very much.

That’s all I can get away with at work…