Rate the race: Singapore Grand Prix

What did you think of the Singapore Grand Prix? Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below.

Rate the 2009 Singapore Grand Prix out of ten

• 9 - Fantastic (4%)
  • 10 - Perfect (2%)

Total Voters: 2,753

Loading ... Loading ...

See more results of F1 Fanatic polls: F1 Fanatic polls archive

160 comments on Rate the race: Singapore Grand Prix

1. The race was not dynamic because Hamilton’s chief pursuers drove like amateurs, and the other drivers in the best cars did nothing or had cars that were mechanically not up to the job. It’s not his or McLaren’s or the sport’s fault that he drove flawlessly in a well-made racing car.

Beside’s Hamilton’s the race Button drove was tremendous. If you can appreciate the real elements of battle in F1, and seek more thrills than seeing P5 pass P4 a couple times, you must savor how the man turned a potential disaster into a potential WCC sealing result with resolute and quick driving, overhauling his teammate. (Tune in later for the CRASHCAR race from Dover if you want to see several dozen ultimately inconsequential passes for position among strictly identical cars with the much bally-hooed no-aero, fat-tires theory of Good Racing) You can also see how superior engineering and race management continues to win out over teams with only a quick car and a quick driver. Likewise, Alonso produced another tremendous result of man over machine.

More Raspberries for Kofailainen. He is the Sunday footstool of Ross Brawn now, and his record of 6 straight points races is a pretty hollow accolade given the speed of his car.

• Maksutov said on 27th September 2009, 19:51

because Hamilton’s chief pursuers drove like amateurs

yep to that.

• (Tune in later for the CRASHCAR race from Dover if you want to see several dozen ultimately inconsequential passes for position among strictly identical cars with the much bally-hooed no-aero, fat-tires theory of Good Racing)

A pass for position is hardly inconsequential, in any series.

And, really, no fan of a series as anally retentive regarding conformation to specs and regulations as F1 is, should ever call the cars of any other series “identical”. This includes me, I’m not just getting on your case. Cause if ya took the cars driven by Lewis, Jensen, Kimi and Mark and painted them solid black–why, from 50 paces I don’t think any one of us could pick one from the other.

And just to keep things straight, Nascar Cup series tires are same size front and rear, and hardly wider than F1 tires. (Actually, might be the same this year.)

Also, there is definitely aero involved in Cup series cars. It’s best seen when a car is passing another on the inside of a corner, and the car outside loses the continuity of the air flow down the side of the car—the outside car drifts right up toward the wall.

The effect of the aero package is also seen in drafting. (I know, we haven’t seen that in F1 for a while. That’s when one car gets right up under the tail of another, and is able to run part-throttle while not losing speed.)

Perhaps the OWG should look at the older F1 cars for some tips on how to bring back following closely and overtaking—or, they could just tune in Speed Channel and catch a Nascar race. :)

2. Even a safety car couldn’t mix it up much today!

3. jack koh said on 27th September 2009, 15:46

this year races got alot OF Crashes.. but hope the teams boycott the use of KERS.

4. Grace Lovvorn said on 27th September 2009, 15:50

“Boring”. Why? I fell asleep in the middle of the race, which has never happened before with races being in the morning (for my time zone). It was after Rosberg got his drive-through penalty, and I was like “Screw this, I’m getting some sleep!”

Although I miraculously woke up when Lewis had just crossed the finish line. He did his usual perky victory dance, and we got to see Nicole Whats-her-name be overly dramatic about it. Whoo.

We do have something to look forward to! On the pre-race show, Will.i.am told Peter Windsor that he wanted to make a song about F1. I “gotta feeling” (pitiful joke, I know) that the Black Eyed Peas are going to have a new hit!

Sorry about not being overly nerdy today. I guess when you’re asleep, you can’t really pay attention to what went on :)

5. Awful season. 2010 will end up the same with all the rule changes , random team dominating and overtaking still non excistance

• StrFerrari4Ever said on 27th September 2009, 16:00

Unless some teams realise that in 2010 they could move up if they throw everything at it thus bringing more competition.

I just want 09 to end now it’s so frustrating that no one can capitalise on Button’s mishaps and get closer in the championship but oh well things can only get better ey?

Lets look at the 2010 possibilities Ferrari resurgence , Mclaren back at the front , Red Bull still at the front Brawn(with growing Mercedes partnership) at the front & Toyota if board gives them more money could finally do it and be at the front and stay there unlike previous seasons.

So we’ve just got to stay positive even if its hard and hope for an amazing 2010 season.

• mp4-19b said on 27th September 2009, 17:15

random team dominating

I don’t think so Tommy. Surely McLaren & Ferrari would have sorted their problems by then. I predict a four horse race.

Just a thought here. I really want to know why ferrari have stopped developing their F60 car. Everybody, including Brundle, Whitmarsh seem to think that the fundamentals will remain the same, so whatever effort you put into this years car, you’ll reap the benefit next near.

My theory is that Ferrari are building a car to suite Alonso’s style of driving, remember 2006?? When McLaren stopped developing their 2006 car midway through the season. They did that cuz they knew kimi was moving out & they had already signed Alonso, so they started to develop a car suited for Alonso’s style of driving. I suspect the reverse is happening now. As for Mclaren continuous development, everyone including Brundle is of the opinion that Kimi’s & Hammi’s style of driving are very similar, like oversteer etc That I think is what my thought is.

• Patrickl said on 27th September 2009, 18:39

Ferrari have said that they made a fundamental error in the design of their car.

Which probably means that the aero for their new car won’t match this years car. ie developing this one further would be a waste of effort.

• I agree with you, they are probably building a car (F1-2010? F61?)which works well with understeer for the aggressive driving styles of Felipe and Alonso.

This could explain why Kimi was good with the F1-2007 but mediocre with the F1-2008, Schumacher (who drives with slight oversteer) probably had more input on the 2007 car than the 2008 one…

McLaren are probably using the rest of this season to work out their problems from this season and to leverage what works for the MP4-25…

• Patrickl said on 28th September 2009, 17:19

Raikkonen was doing fine with the F2008. What are you talking about?

He only had a problem with the car after they changed the it mid season after Massa did some tests.

Raikkonen was leading the championship early on in the season. Of course crashing at Monaco and being rammed out of the lead at Canada changed that, but still.

He was doing fine with the F2008 until it was changed in the wrong direction.

6. Hotbottoms said on 27th September 2009, 15:56

I don’t like Hamilton as a person at all, but this race showed that he belongs in the same category as Raikkonen and Alonso. Vettel and Rosberg both made stupid mistakes whereas Hamilton’s victory was pretty flawless.

Kovalainen 7th.. I hope he doesn’t drive in McLaren next season. He can’t show his potential (which we have seen in his GP2 and Renault times) at all in Hamilton GP, ehm, I mean in McLaren. His race strategy is always terrible compared to Hamilton’s.

• mp4-19b said on 27th September 2009, 16:53

Kovi will probably go to Renault to partner Kubica next year. Since Flavio isn’t around we might see that happening.

• Terrible strategy? He has the same fuel load and car as the man who won. As usual, he disappeared on Sunday. Hamilton is pretty tough standard to meet, but he’s just not delivering.

7. steph90 said on 27th September 2009, 16:00

F1 forum, EJ outed Williams for going against teams push for bigger brake ducts, what is it with Williams?

8. I used to enjoy coming here after a race to chat about it with other F1 followers.
    As I’ve said before (and of course not very popular) the site is a victim of its own success. Frequented by too many people that don’t really ‘get’ F1.
    Is it just me that values a genuine racing overtake in F1 as a rare commodity and therefore all the more special for it? It’s the way the sport works. Something that makes the strategic element of overtaking during the pit stops all the more interesting (which will be sorely missed by me next year as overtaking on the track isn’t going to change at all).
    I’m not especially a fan of the Singapore circuit, it’s only character the fact that it runs at night. It’s a hard challenging track for a driver and demands intense focus at all times.
    For me that is what made the race a good one, certainly not great, fantastic or perfect. Although Lewis’s drive was just that, perfect.
    It should be noted that here is where Red Bull pretty much threw away the championship with Brawn just about pulling something from nowhere.
    How can any F1 fan not have enjoyed the countless minutia that go towards such an end product?

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 27th September 2009, 16:11

I’m sorry pSynrg but a lot of people feel – and I happen to agree with them – that the whole passing via strategy thing is rather false. It isn’t ‘racing’, it’s something else. And it’s not that exciting.

Hamilton’s drive was great, the track is alright but rather over-long and you’re right, the fact that it’s a night race is its unique selling point.

• Keith I cant understand…you say this yet claim Monza was a cracker! -because cars go fast?!?!?!?!?
        I am not a LH fan in any stretch but this was an entertaining round.
        Like you said to me last race you don’t need a million passes for a race to be entertaining!

• Agreed… there’s definitely much more of a PF1 flavour about it here these days, and I find the comments less interesting. However, Keith’s articles are always worth reading!

• mp4-19b said on 27th September 2009, 17:02

I as a McLaren supporter must say that, this was one of the dullest races I’ve ever watched. This was the first time in years that I’ve failed to take a toilet break during the race. It was so uneventful, so boring. I’m mean you can feel it in you, when a race is exciting, your bladder fills up quickly, your hairs stand up, you feel goosebumps, you bit you finger nails etc. None of it happened. As Brundle mentioned on the forum, you need to have a 2 sec differential to the car in front to be able to pull out an overtaking move.

QWG!!!??? Epic Fail!

Tilke–>> double epic fail.

• Bigbadderboom said on 27th September 2009, 17:56

I kind of get what your saying, and F1 is not the kind of motorsport enjoyed for rash moves and crashes, Fortunatley or unfortunatley (depends how you see it) the drivers in F1 are simply too good, so much of the enjoyment for most F1 fans tends to come from the finer things such as strategy, politics, technology, scandal (sad but true), glamour and speed/noise. However that does not mean we shouldn’t expect a decent standard of racing, the problem is we as fans don’t always understand what we want, so when the FIA talks about restrictions we all complain about F1 being the pinnacle and all that, but by letting technology run away with itself we end up with todays kind of event, there is only a finite number of solutions to problems and by this ime of the season most engineers are getting to the same place, hence overtaking becomes very difficult.

• Hey, thanks all for some constructive dialogue! Including mp4-19b’s sanitary requirements indicating the thrill factor of a race…

I am very excited by the prospect of ‘balls out’ quali laps in the new season but I can’t help feeling we will see the opposite in the race.

Granted I enjoy seeing a driver manage their tires and fuel consumption whilst maintaining competitive pace. (I would attribute some of Lewis’s strengths today to some of that – he’s becoming a very canny driver indeed.)

So I feel we’re not going to see the fastest driver win but the one with the greatest ability to manage the car, tires and fuel. That’s another debate…

Singapore didn’t produce the best TV F1, agreed. But it illustrated the strengths and weaknesses of the drivers and teams more than the likes of Spa or Monza.

But of course, I’ll take those two any day!

• Oh and Bigbadderboom, overtaking absolutely should be as difficult as it can possibly be…

• I agree with you 100%. I enjoyed the race. It wasn’t the best of the year, but appreciating the elements of winning, this was an eventful race.

• Kershan said on 28th September 2009, 8:09

I understand your point, and agree that the tactics qre equally as entertaining as the bravery and skill of the drivers. In fact the little rule chages every year, annoying as they sometimes are, do help to throw a “random” element in (although I probably mean a new element that will take a little time to master). I think Singapore is potentially great but just needs to find its feet a little. The roads look (to me) a lot wider than Monaco’s so that’s not the problem, it’s the sheer number of stop-starts with no real opportunities for cars to get close enough to challenge that ruins it. Nearly every overtaking move yesterday resulted in contact. I’m sure the crossroads that is split diagonally could be opened up and made into one large straight. Look at the proposed route on a 2007 F1fanatic posting, I think that route looks much more flowing. http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2007/04/02/proposed-singapore-f1-street-track-layout/

9. DanThorn said on 27th September 2009, 16:08

Great drives from Lewis, Timo and Fernando. Button really pulled his finger out as well.

However, without a doubt the most significant event of the race was Heidfeld’s retirement. I was beginning to think it was technically impossible for him not to finish.

Pretty dull race though. Rubens crashing yesterday cocked up any of the strategic interest so it was pretty much always going to be a case of how much Lewis was going to win by.

10. Unfortunately, I thought the race on the whole was little more than a ‘points adjustment’.

Solid drive by Hamilton: did what he needed to do and got the job done, like a champion.
    Big-ups to Glock too, as that Toyota isn’t particularly fast.
    Alonso: well he drove very very well, as he always does.

Real shame about Vettel and especially Rosberg, once again showing that one tiny lapse in concentration can be catastophic to your race.

11. mp4-19b said on 27th September 2009, 16:09

Just heard Martin Whitmarsh’s interview on bbc forum, he was very much unsatisfied with kovi’s performance & was later asked on kimi’s move, his answer was:

“We at McLaren want the best 2 drivers in f1″

That says a lot, doesn’t it?

12. William Wilgus said on 27th September 2009, 16:15

Another street circuit with almost no places to pass and with the barriers so close, passing anywhere is a very risky prospect. Boting, boring, boring! (Did I mention boring?)

13. @mp4-19b: Yes, it certainly does…

14. steph90 said on 27th September 2009, 16:19

TommyB I’m hoping that the teams can take information from this season and we see a much better team order. I agree completely with you that this season has been dreadful. The good drivers in poor cars, esp at the beginning of the season and then to make things worse this championship doesn’t even come down to racing, it is all strategy and reliability. There is no joy in that.

• Couldn’t agree more Steph. I appreciate the strategic and technical aspects of F1 as much as the next person BUT there has to be some actual racing on the track. Todays race was awful and the season as a whole has been a real yawner.

15. LC Coelho said on 27th September 2009, 16:20

every sunday i ask myself why do i still wake up early to watch a procession….
    it’s getting every time more boring, no one can really race and overtake.

• mp4-19b said on 27th September 2009, 16:33

I ruin my entire fortnight dreaming of exciting races & finally end up watching this!! Even though a mclaren won, I rated this as the worst race since 2008 Valencia.

• mp4..dude you have said that like 27 times already, you have more than made your point. even if other disagree with you..it’s not a chance to voice the same rhetoric again!

Street tracks as well as some established circuits are dull, by nature. The race was interesting…to some.
        Ok.

16. steph90 said on 27th September 2009, 16:20

Mp4, yeah I’m watching it too now, I’d put a very large bet on Kimi to mclaren next season. You must be happy at that :)

17. Oh God, then Hamilton really will start believing he’s Senna.

I think Iceman will have the beating of Hamilton.

18. HounslowBusGarage said on 27th September 2009, 16:44

I didn’t bother watching the race. I went to the beach instead. Very warm here on the South Coast, unbroken sunshine and no breeze.
    Having read the report and the comments, I’m very glad I made that choice. Would have wasted two hours, otherwise. Don’t think I’ll bother with the highlights either.

• mp4-19b said on 27th September 2009, 16:51

That’s sad :( I’ve would have probably done the same if I were in a coastal area. Honestly, hanging out at F1Fanatic is lot more cooler that watching these races nowadays :)

• And it would a lot cooler, if it wasn’t for your constant blathering.

• lol…and he has been a F1 fan since LH been in the sport.

On a completely different subject why don’t Ferrari use 27 & 28 any more?
          Does the fia force the teams to use the numbers handed to them?

• Harv's said on 28th September 2009, 2:30

dailymail.uk have reported that the kimi’s mclaren contract is has been completed and all that remains is sorting out the loose ends with ferrari.

19. It was beginning to look a Time trial. It was quite difficult to watch without feeling a little bored.

• HounslowBusGarage said on 27th September 2009, 21:52

Rudram! Now there’s an idea.
      They do it in motor bike racing and in cycle racing. Plus of ourse, every rally event is a . . . Time Trial.
      What about an F1 Time Trial?
      Everyone practices and qualifies as normal, but next they set off at one minute intervals for a duration of, what sixty minutes, forty laps or something in the reverse order of qualifying.
      Probably Grosjean to start and Vettel or Hamilton to finish, and the result is always in doubt until the last driver crosses the finish line.
      I think it could be very good fun for one or two events each season.

20. Nirupam said on 27th September 2009, 16:51

At least this race (Sutil, to be specific) gave us the opportunity to get rid of the Heidfield record! :P