Alonso finally confirmed as Massa’s team mate at Ferrari for 2010

Alonso thwarted Ferrari in 2006, now he will drive for them

Alonso thwarted Ferrari in 2006, now he will drive for them

Ferrari have finally confirmed what pretty much everyone in F1 expected by now – Fernando Alonso will drive for them in 2010.

Kimi Raikkonen is set to leave the team after this year’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and is most likely to end up back at McLaren.

Raikkonen was contracted to remain at Ferrari for one more season. Despite having won the title for them in 2007, the team are letting him go one year early in his contract, which can only be interpreted as a reflection on his performance.

Felipe Massa clearly out-performed him last year, but Raikkonen has had a resurgence in the second half of this season, including a victory at Spa-Francorchamps.

Giancarlo Fisichella will remain with the Italian team as a test driver.

The development sets up two fascinating driver partnerships for 2010, the first of which is Alonso and Massa at Ferrari.

The pair had a heated row after clashing on the final lap at the Nurburgring in 2007. Massa will in all likelihood prove the closest match to Alonso’s talent since he partnered Lewis Hamilton two seasons ago.

Hamilton, meanwhile, will surely face a stiffer challenge from Raikkonen if he does indeed take the place of Heikki Kovalainen next year.

Anyone else really looking forward to 2010 now?

F1 2010 driver moves

331 comments on Alonso finally confirmed as Massa’s team mate at Ferrari for 2010

1. I, for one, am the happiest person on earth. As Red Andy said earlier, the best driver is going to the best team.

N.B. best team = my opinion
    best driver = fact!

• James G said on 30th September 2009, 19:41

best driver = your opinion.

• You are so wrong. When he won his 2 wdc’s, the renault was the best car in the field.
      He then goes to mclaren and has to fight toe to toe with a rookie who was his equal or better all year and it was so embarrassing that he tried to blackmail Ron Dennis.
      If the ferrari isnt the best car next year and I dont hold my hopes as they have run off all their best people. He will be fighting massa for scraps as the mclarens and brawns will run away with the prize.

2. Since Kimi was basically ousted by Fred, who obviously chose Massa out of fear of a resurgent Raikkonen, I expect Kimi will find the best possible motivation to kick Alonso’s *ss next year, revenge.

For Ferrari, with no Brawn or Todt, I wonder if the charming but somewhat retiring Domenicali can handle Alonso.

And Massa, like many Ferrari #2’s before, will soon find his car mysteriously breaking down while his teammate maintains a sensational reliability record, he will find himself leapfrogged due to curiously fussy pitstops. And if he does give the main man a good race and refuse to slide over he will get an unholy earful, for example, Hamilton in Indy 07, or blocked in the pits.

As for McLaren, I think Hamilton will be just as quick but I fear that, in his zeal to dominate Kimi he may abandon the middle ground of mere dominance by reverting to his rookie form of alternately blowing people away or chucking it off the road. We are seeing this again now that the car is fast and the discipline of a championship fight is not there. There will be minimal fireworks there, because Kimi doesn’t do drama, and Dennis is gone.

• That will be the main thing for lewis. If he can calm down and not be intimidaited by Kimi then the championship is his.

• Antifia said on 1st October 2009, 13:38

Massa has beaten Kimi fair and square – both in 2008 and in 2009 (before the accident).
      Get a grip. Kimi is way overated (he can only beat the likes of Coultard and Montoya) and Massa has proven himself

3. I don’t understand why people now say that they don’t expect Massa to match Alonso’s pace, next season. I’m not saying he will, but why wouldn’t he? He gave Räikkönen a run for his money, in 2007 and ’08.

• I don’t understand

I don’t have an opinion personally, but perhaps it is because people think:
      1. Massa may not regain his old form after his accident
      2. Alonso is better than Kimi

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 30th September 2009, 21:50

He gave Räikkönen a run for his money, in 2007 and ‘08.

Indeed, and not many people expected that – myself definitely included. But he’s returning from a serious injury as well. Massa is going to be coming back to a rather different Ferrari.

4. Now that they have Alonso on board, the only weak link in Ferrari’s setup is one Stefano Domicelli. Since he took over from Jean Todt, he has:
    1. Lost the 2008 championship in spite of the driver (Massa) doing everything by the book
    2. Completely lost the plot in 2009
    3. Is clearly not a strong thinker and is unable to structure his thoughts well enough to close the loop on basic questions (even after accounting for English not being his first language).

Alonso will be doing the right thing if he’s bringing his old team with him. If Ferrari want to emulate the Schumacher era, they’ll need the equivalent of Brawn or Todt as well. Domicelli doesn’t cut it.

• Sorry that should say Stefano Domenicali .

• Nitpicker said on 30th September 2009, 20:30

Oh you’re opening a can of worms with this one…

Since he took over from Jean Todt, he has:
      1. Lost the 2008 championship

Winning the 2008 constructor’s doesn’t count? And neither does the fact that when he was in charge in 2007, Ferrari won both?

2. Completely lost the plot in 2009

Hardly. If the two teams battling for the 2008 championships both get beaten to the punch the following year, is that just a coincidence? Not to mention Ferrari are (currently) beating McLaren on points and have one win to McLaren’s two. Hardly losing the plot.

I don’t know where you get your ideas from. He seems to talk perfectly legibly and intelligently as far as I can see.

Alonso will be doing the right thing if he’s bringing his old team with him.

This is my personal fave. No, really. So Freddy should recruit cheating Flav and Symonds then? Or the rest of the Renault team that have provided him with a substandard car this year?

I think you’re stuck in the Schuey days.

• Hakka said on 1st October 2009, 6:20

Not as much as winning both, and Todt was in charge in 2007 – not sure why you’re crediting Stefano with 07 there. I’m saying Massa lost 2008 exclusively based on poor processes at Ferrari – which is Stafano’s domain.

At the end of the day, leadership and executive positions have to be judged by results. Lower echelon positions can say “I did everything by the book, but it didn’t work!” perhaps, but the whole point of leadership is to mitigate situations like the one that happened in 2008 and again this year.

He’s gone blank on live TV for several seconds at a time when asked a question with two or more threads. He rarely answers the question asked (counting only the non-controversial ones) – he sounds exactly like anyone would if he was in over his head. Like a new employee who’s just taken over a larger role.

Finally, I meant Alonso should get his engineering team – which will help mitigate any poorly thought out processes that Stafano might decide to push in Ferrari next year. This is what Alonso appears to be doing, so it looks like you’re saying he shouldn’t and that you know better than him.

But, let’s leave it at that. I think the results speak for themselves – I hope I eat my words in 2010 because I would love to see the best drivers in competitive cars.

• Now that they have Alonso on board, the only weak link in Ferrari’s setup is one Stefano Domicelli.

Well, then Alonso will bring Briatore as replacement with him ;-)

• George said on 1st October 2009, 4:50

The Problems with Ferrari recently have been more to do with Luca di Montezemolo than Stefano – he seems to do a decent job, and is certainly more highly regarded in the paddock than Jean Todt, which is essential with the new team unity.

5. And how many months has this been dragging on for?? :P

It will be cool to see alonso in a competitive car as I’m sure the 2010 Ferrari will be.

I expect the front runners from last year to bounce back next year.

It will be a great season though.

6. steph90 said on 30th September 2009, 19:05

Lustigson..and this year! Before the accident :(

7. F1Outsider said on 30th September 2009, 19:10

For whatever reason, it is rare that a driver rivalry plays out as people expect it to. I’m skeptical that Alonso will be able to take the fight to Hamilton or vice-versa. I’ll take a wait and see approach.

One good thing that this allows for, is for some other driver to unexpectedly come out of left field and delight us…

8. At last i dont have to support ferrari anymore!!! Kimi back and Mclaren where he belongs, order restored.

• Kimi at McLaren is pure speculation….
      I’m sure Lewis is whining about it right now.

• Bad_Whippet said on 30th September 2009, 20:38

“I’m sure Lewis is whining about it right now”

Whilst I’m in no better a position to say you’re wrong, than you are to say you’re right, I doubt Hamilton will be ‘whining’ about being partnered with Raikkonen.

I’m betting he’s actually looking forward to it… let’s face it, Kovi hasn’t done much to challenge him and I reckon Hamilton will love the competition.

You’ve got to remember, Raikkonen is a very different character to Alonso and is probably a better all-round partner for him in every way

Anyway, as a few posts above points out, it IS still speculation… yeah right!

• That siad…I hope he ends up there, just for the excitement of 2010

9. Schumi went to Ferrari having won 2 championships with Flavio Briatore and Benetton (one with a Renault engine).
    Now Alonso goes to Ferrari having won 2 championships with Flavio Briatore and Renault, which used to be Benetton.

I have no doubts that Massa will be as fast in 2010 as he ever was. And I’m sure that Alonso cannot count on the team favouring him in any way, even if he turns out to be the faster driver throughout the season.
    I hope he’ll get pushed by Felipe.

• Hallard said on 30th September 2009, 19:29

Im glad someone else metioned the Schuey/Alonso parallel…

• Nitpicker said on 30th September 2009, 20:37

(Cough.) Schuey “won” the 1994 championship did he? In the same way Alonso “won” the 2008 Singapore race? Plenty of parallels then :)

• Yeah, but Schummi did not consider Formula One as Sport, and Alonso did, remember Monza 06??? Anyway, let’s see what he’s made, cause in McLaren, always cried about no one supported him but his engineers…

10. Arun.India said on 30th September 2009, 19:24

Being a hardcore Ferrari fan i would consider this a black day.This is the worst decision Ferrari could ever take.This jackass is going to convert ferrari into a bunch of jokers.If Kimi shifts to mclaren i think i would also switch my allegiance towards mclaren and support the iceman.If thats not the case i will go ahead and support only baby.No way in hell i am supporting this jackass.

• Nitpicker said on 30th September 2009, 20:41

Why? If you don’t like Alonso that is fair enough. But you can’t claim that Ferrari will become a laughing stock because they have recruited a double world champion.

• Man, you are not a hardcore ferrari fan if you would switch your alligence to their arch-rivals following a driver.

No Macca fan supported ferrari when kimi switched, may have retained a soft spot for the guy. I’m glad he’s comming home.

• Ned Flanders said on 30th September 2009, 23:06

Ha ha… everyone seems to hate Alonso now! I cannot for the life of me understand why this might be the case, he’s never hurt a fly… He seems like an thoroughly nice chap to me. And he can break walnuts with his neck!!!

How about a poll: who do you prefer- Hamilton or Alonso?

• Tom Watson said on 30th September 2009, 23:45

I think its something to do with the beard.

• mp4-19b said on 1st October 2009, 3:43

And he can break walnuts with his neck!!!

Does he do it fairly?

• Antifia said on 1st October 2009, 16:04

The difference here is that Alonso will probable use Piquet Jr’s head to break that walnut while Hamilton won’t be able to break it, but will tell the FIA he did.

• Carl 27 said on 1st October 2009, 22:17

You souldn’t be surprised this web has become a witch hunt. As I said before all this “bravado” is just fear that Alonso now is in a position to challenge Lewis, and everyone here is expecting that the McLaren is going to be a competitive car as we all did at the beginning of this year…

• Arun.India…who cares if you even watch and follow F1 or even think about being a Ferrari fan…just eat your food and watch another channel next time when the race is on…who cares about your love to Ferrari and your hate to Alonso…respect yourself jackass and stop offending one of the most famous people in the world…and if you love the iceman so much, I suggest you shove some ice to cool down a bit…you wasted my time

11. Hallard said on 30th September 2009, 19:27

Im officially a McLaren fan for the next 3 years…

• you’ll find it a pretty awesome gig.
      your just in time for what i think will be our strongest campaign for the WCC in quite a while

12. ExPatBrit said on 30th September 2009, 19:29

I think the Alonso Massa pairing is great!

Felipe is a pretty good driver except he doesn’t seem to do at all well in the wet.

13. steph90 said on 30th September 2009, 19:35

Arun stay with Ferrari :)
    ExPatBrit, did you not see Interlagos last year? And he was pretty good at Nurburgring in 07 (but suffered vibrations with tyres in final stages), this year in China he went from 13th on the grid to 3rd but then engine problems made him retire, yes Silverstone was bad though in 08.

14. Take back all I said previously. I didn’t think this would happen this year. Its gonna be good boys. Alonso is probably the best all around driver. I know some will want to argue that Hamilton is. He is definetly in the same class. Consider that Alonso drove a tank of a car this year and really has done better than anyone would have expected. Alonso and Ferrari will be unbelievable because he and the tifosi will get on from the start. Unlike Kimi. The bad news is that I do not think Alonso and Massa will be able to remain “good” teammates with one another. That Latin thing is gonna rear it’s ugly head before the season is over. The good news is that Massa is SO committed to Ferrari and the championships, drivers and constructors, that he is going to give Fernando a hard, hard time. This is going to be great.
    Oh, by the way, Kimi is going to do just fine at McLaren too. (Come on, we all know thats where he has to be heading) Frankly I think Kimi and Lewis will get on much better than Alonso and Massa.
    Last note….can someone please tell me who pays the last 48 million installment to Kimi. That, to me, is the craziest thing of all. It is just bad business sense to pay a guy, any guy, that kind of dough to walk away. Does Ferrari really think Alonso is worth paying off Kimi and also paying Fernando a huge retainer to get him on board?

• somehow I believe that there will be fair battle between Lewis and Kimi. Lewis is not bad guy and when he will notice that Kimi is not like Teflonso, they begin to respest each other. Kimi is fair man – he want’s to win but by fair play – Lewis will learn this, only problem is father Anthony

• Nitpicker said on 30th September 2009, 20:49

Lewis respected Fernando as a team mate. The problem was the respect didn’t come the other way. Alonso had trouble integrating into much of the McLaren team, not just with Lewis. I don’t think Lewis was at fault there.

And what makes you think Lewis needs to learn about fair play? He hasn’t shown himself to be too ruthless or on the edge of cheating (except the Lie-gate thing, which I admit was a bizarre situation).

• can someone please tell me who pays the last 48 million installment to Kimi

Well, it’s not clear at all. I even read somewere that Marlboro has taken care of the equalization.

B Santander have renewed their sponsorship with McLaren. That probably will count. I’m pretty sure Santander have put some pressure on McLaren to hire Kimi.

On the other hand, Fernando Alonso will take something around 7 Million less than Kimi, so, part of Kimi fees would have been paid by Ferrari using their savings in Alonso’s agreement. At this point, one could say Alonso has paid a big part of Kimi fees!

15. steph90 said on 30th September 2009, 19:41