Video shows what South Korea’s F1 track will look like in 2010

Here’s a video 3D rendering of South Korea’s new F1 track which will be on the F1 calendar in 2010. I hadn’t seen it before but it looks like it was posted on Youtube a few weeks ago.

It’s difficult to know how accurate the video representation of the circuit is. Taking it at face value, it seems to share some innovations with Yas Island, home of this weekend’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

In particular the run-off areas seem quite small, perhaps because they’re planning to use the same Tecpro barriers found at Abu Dhabi.

Having said that some of the barrier details look completely unrealistic – the piles of tyres on the inside of some corners, for instance.

The unusual final turn loops around a bay full of yachts which seems to be a pre-requisite for new tracks at the moment.

The 2010 South Korean Grand Prix will be held on the 15-17th of October.

2010 South Korean Grand Prix

Thanks to edisonlsm via Twitter for the tip.

57 comments on Video shows what South Korea’s F1 track will look like in 2010

1 2 3
  1. Fabulous music!

I wonder whether the track will be as narrow as it appears near the end of the clip, or if that’s just bad animation.

2. Edisonlsm said on 26th October 2009, 21:03

I find it on youtube today, but it’s from 1 month ago.

This circuit is like Abu Dhabi, there’s some places really fast and another really slows (What I don’t like)

And at the video have something similar to a city inside the circuit @_@ I think that it will probably be an hotel or anything like this, because at this place actually don’t have anything…

3. Harv's said on 26th October 2009, 21:03

I dont think the music and the budget will make the racing better Mr. Tilke! and can you please design a better track! they are all the same!

Ha Ha Ha! 2:33 is Lewis going to start rapping now!

4. There is nothing like 80s rock music… ;)

5. Bullfrog said on 26th October 2009, 21:34

They should put some yachts on the runway at Silverstone. That’ll guarantee them a race at any price.

6. TommyB said on 26th October 2009, 21:34

Less architecture and more great corners PLEASE. All these new circuits are boring and exactly the same.

• Yeap the buildings aren’t what makes it a great circuit. It makes it look good on TV, but if the track is boring, no amount of pretty pictures of buildings is going to make a race exciting.

7. can we have a design a f1 track compitition, because i have some ideas

• sato113 said on 27th October 2009, 2:15

yeah good idea. using MSpaint or something simple.

• Stealthman said on 27th October 2009, 11:11

We did that last year… but there’s no reason not to run it again. Might make for some interest during the off-season. :D

• racerdude7730 said on 27th October 2009, 20:32

i think that would be an awsome idea. get on that and put up a poll and see if anyone wants to do it. I have ideas too and would love to have a friendly little contest of it. maybe everyone can turn in their idea have the best put up and then everyone vote on the best

8. Terry Fabulous said on 26th October 2009, 21:43

Reason #568 that F1 has it’s head up it’s backside

On a four minute video showing a new circuit, the first three minutes is spent showing VIP areas and buildings. The last minute shows the actual track!

9. HounslowBusGarage said on 26th October 2009, 21:48

It’s flat. And all the corners are constant radius. What’s there to like?

10. Or the track is quite a lot narrow or the cars are represented in a wrong scale, but something is wrong in this video, I’m afraid.

On the other hand, they will need to go faster if they want to show us a pit-stop with refuelling!!!!

11. Alex White said on 26th October 2009, 22:10

Great music, songs name is Joe Satriani – Summer Song ..and its a shame about the track, gunna be exactly the same as Valencia.

12. Now Im Scared said on 26th October 2009, 22:15

I hate to be a party pooper, but I giggle at all of the commercial buildings shown around the track. None of them exist now (I live in Korea), and none of them will probably exist on raceday, if there is a race day. The Korean in the video said they only have 55% of the funding for the track (it may be 55% completion, my Korean is poor). Either way, the location is too far off the beaten path to attract that number and type of commercial activity. And the wonderful yachts in the marina? I doubt there are that many in the whole country. At Bernie’s prices, I’m not even planning on going to the race, if there is one…

13. Ned Flanders said on 26th October 2009, 22:21

Everyone who has commented so far seems to be criticising the track (either that or praising the air guitar music!) so I’m going to be nice and look for positives…

1. The track has a few interesting looking corners on the second half of the lap
    2. The city built around the circuit should look good
    3. The marina was curved, so it will look different to all the other marina’s in F1
    4. South Korea is in many ways like Japan, where F1 is very popular, so perhaps there is potential for F1 to be sucessful there
    5.It has a huge straight so overtaking should be possible

OK, some of those were rubbish, but at least my glass is half full!

• Andrew White said on 29th October 2009, 21:45

1. Those corners are similar to Hungary, which isn’t very interesting at all
      2. That won’t improve the racing
      3. Marvellous. It wasn’t the fact that we were getting marinas at all the new tracks, it was that they were all boring straight ones!
      4. I agree, but I seem to remember the promoters spewing out a load of ignorant BS
      5. It seems to be the requirement now that circuits should just have one overtaking opportunity. Why not have series of overtaking-friendly corners.

Sorry, but I’m really not optimistic about this track, it’s just another soulless Tilkedrome where the facilities come first and the track second. I bet it will have a lap time of about 1:30 and there will be 56-57 laps.

14. Jonathan said on 26th October 2009, 22:38

In 20 or so attempts, Tilke hasn’t designed a track remotely as exciting as Spa, Suzuka or Interlagos.

• gabal said on 26th October 2009, 23:24

What about Otodrom in Istanbul?

• sato113 said on 26th October 2009, 23:26

he hasn’t designed a track like spa, suzuka or interlagos in a country that gives a damn!

• gabal said on 27th October 2009, 10:04

and how is that Tilke’s fault? Both Sepang and Istanbul tracks are really good and I must say I like altitude changes and corner after the back straight in Bahrain.

Turkey is passionate about F1, they just can’t afford tickets with their income…

• I think I’m in the minority, but I don’t really like Istanbul Park. Too much runoff area. No punishment for drivers who run off the track.

• his_majesty said on 27th October 2009, 19:01

What about otodrom, best of the worst in my book. I’m getting fed up with the bernie show, is he trying to irritate the fans of f1? He is a dicktator (I know the spelling is off, I tried it) I only watch 1/2 the races anymore since most are trash tracks. I used to be all decked out in f1 gear. I think my love for the sport is leaving me beacuse of this tool and the loser making crap tracks that my 4 year old son could make better for viewing. I’ve gotta say with JPM doing so good in nascar I’m watchinig that quite a bit now. I didn’t think that would be possible, but it is thanks to bernie and his billions which aren’t enough for him.

1 2 3