Rate the race: Abu Dhabi

Sebastian Vettel led home a RedBull-one-two at Yas Island. What did you think of F1′s first race at Abu Dhabi? Rate the race out of ten below and have your say in the comments.

Rate the 2009 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of 10

• 10 - Perfect (4%)

Total Voters: 2,775

Loading ... Loading ...

117 comments on Rate the race: Abu Dhabi

1 2 3 4
  1. Arun Srini said on 1st November 2009, 14:48

just proved yet again jenson not worth it!! he just can’t overtake..got beaten on the lap by koby

2. adaptalis said on 1st November 2009, 14:53

4 for me. Would have been lower had it not for the fantastic last lap.

3. TommyB said on 1st November 2009, 14:57

End was great, start was good. Middle would have been great if Hamilton had stayed in

4. Ninad said on 1st November 2009, 15:09

6 for me. Overtaking car be done on track but F1 rules do not promote overtaking!!

5. Jenson could not take over webber and was taken over by a GP2 driver. poor performance by the brit, poor race.

• Scribe said on 1st November 2009, 15:29

Jenson couldn’t overtake a very good driver, in a very fast car, but he nearly did, it was a fair drive.

Kobayashi was much faster than Jenson at that stage, get some perspective

• Scribe said on 1st November 2009, 15:30

Kobayashi was much faster than Jenson at that stage, get some perspective.

• Robbie said on 1st November 2009, 15:49

Utter rubbish. Kobayashi is a talent to watch but he was also in a lighter car at that point.

Secondly, who was on the podium?…

• gp2 driver…Kobbie in a top team car would rival Hamilton !!!
      This guy is great.

Oh and forget button had cold tyres, just pitted and had a heavy car…but it still was a great drive by Kobbie and clean too

Do you even follow motorsport?

• Button, like all the other drivers overtakes….he doesn’t, so far as I’m aware take over, but then again, I could be wrong… and remind me not to ask people who think like you do for a reasoned opinion on F1 events in future.

6. pSynrg said on 1st November 2009, 15:28

We were robbed of a potentially titanic battle between Lewis and Seb because of a brakes issue. Real shame.

Seb however drove an absolutely brilliant race, pretty much flawless. If Lewis’s car had been working it’s difficult to say who would have won!

Jenson drove an excellent race too and the comments above are just silly and ignorant and show an understanding of F1 at the ‘back page of a tabloid’ level.

Overall though I totally dislike the whole Abu Dhabi event. How a hotel costing a gazzlion pounds can end up looking like a cheap fairground attraction is testament to the difference in taste between the Gulf states and what we are used to here.

Hamilton vs Vettel for 2010…

• Hamilton vs Vettel for 2010…

I think Alonso will be with them too.

• TommyB said on 1st November 2009, 15:38

Hamilton vs Vettel for 2010…

Would be the dream for me. I really hope it happens. Those 2 are definitely the best 2 in F1 at the moment and will hopefully be very quick next year and fighting at the front.

• Ned Flanders said on 1st November 2009, 16:06

I wouldn’t neccesarily say they are the best two drivers, but I think they are definitely the two fastest.

• steph90 said on 1st November 2009, 16:31

Agree Ned, Seb still needs to show he can overtake. It doesn’t matter if he doesn’t win from any where other than pole but he still needs to be fight if he isn’t infront.
          I expect next year Kimi Massa Ham Alo and Seb will be the title ‘chargers’, Rob in the mix with Renault and Nico with a chance at getting his first win. Though this is f1 and who knows what will happen.

• TommyB said on 1st November 2009, 16:54

2 fastest is what I meant. They need to cut out the mistakes and they will be more complete drivers like Alonso

• Jonathan said on 2nd November 2009, 8:54

Massa is fast. Perhaps faster than Alonso… we’ll see.

• Patrickl said on 1st November 2009, 15:38

If Hamilton hadn’t had his brake problem he would have disappeared on the horizon.

If he had struggled through with his ailing car it might have been an epic battle or … Lewis’s last race.

• Harv's said on 2nd November 2009, 1:34

i agree, the only reason vettle was able to keep up with hamilton was the problem with his brakes

the problem was there from the start of the race and probably got magnified while in his pit box, the hot bakes being stationary in the pits probably damaged them further

• spanish senora said on 2nd November 2009, 12:12

The excitement went out of the race once Lewis had gone.

7. rmac923 said on 1st November 2009, 15:35

5 for me. Last lap was cool. Kobayashi has a bright future in F1 if he can land a good ride.

Overall, another dull Tilkedrome. At least there was 1-2 on-track overtakes after the first lap.

However, I’m optimistic for 2010. Even if the new teams are ****, they’ll at least prove to be obstacles for the front-runners!

8. Those saying Jenson cant overtake are talking out your a**es he was the only one giving it a go today, good on him for giving a go. On another note this track is far better than valencia so good on Abu Dhabi!

• Anthony said on 1st November 2009, 15:56

He was the only one giving it a go? What about kobayashi who overtook HIM in the first place?

• KOB had a lighter car, scrubbed tyres, and momentum so yes i can!

• Er, and I hardly think Webber was just cruising around on a sunday drive either…

• Maksutov said on 2nd November 2009, 3:46

KOB had a lighter car

but buttons defense was crap, kobayashi clearly outsmarted him with that move. Regardless of heavy light, that was the best overtaking maneuver of the race.

• Arun Srini said on 3rd November 2009, 12:17

Agree!! ppl who talk about kobi had lighter faster and what not, forgot that Jenson braked late(a driver error under pressure) and didn’t defend his position, plz learn from Webber,

9. Rusty said on 1st November 2009, 15:40

Horrible tacky carbuncle of an hotel… Boring dockside track… No proper racing… I fell asleep…

• Is that you James May?

• At least its better than Valencia. Though I suppose anything can be better than Valencia.

Thing is though, Suzuka is one of the best tracks in the world and that race was actually more boring than this one.

• Xanathos said on 1st November 2009, 17:09

True, I enjoyed this race much more than Suzuka (which has propably been the most disappointing race all year).
        This race was better than most during the season, very definetely including the oh-so-traditional Silverstone

• LewisC said on 2nd November 2009, 0:37

I could punch myself in the face for two hours and enjoy it more than Valencia.

5 for me – the track wasn’t as dull as I thought but the race didn’t really take light until the last lap.

• Jonathan said on 2nd November 2009, 9:02

It’s not the tracks or the cars that make a race dull… it’s the absence of any randomizing factors.

Great F1 races nearly always involve rain, or preferably rain in qualifying to mix up the grid.

• Maksutov said on 2nd November 2009, 3:48

just keep sleeping then, and don’t wake up.

10. Wesley said on 1st November 2009, 15:40

Way to go Seb!!!Season ends on a high note for me!

• Ned Flanders said on 1st November 2009, 16:57

I’m always happy to see SuperSeb win, he seems like a genuinely nice guy.

• spanish senora said on 1st November 2009, 17:42

He wasn’t so nice in Brazil when he threw his steering wheel in disgust more like a spoilt brat. Also at press conf. both BUT and WEB thanked their teams, he didn’t!!

• Patrickl said on 1st November 2009, 21:17

Well he thanked them over the radio. That really matters more I guess. In the press conference it’s just the media training speaking.

I do hate how he keeps whining about KERS though. He’s in the fastest car and still he whines about a perceived advantage other drivers might have.

• I have also noticed how Vettel keeps mentioning KERS, if he thinks he is at such a disadvantage I would simply ask him would he have preferred to have been in the KERS equipped McLaren for all of the season or his Red Bull.

11. thestig84 said on 1st November 2009, 15:48

Terrible. Just because I was sick to death of seeing the hotel on friday let alone missing out on seeing the cars and webbers donuts just to look at it.

I worried about f1 just being a tourist advert after so many wide shots showing off with micro machines in the background.

Also every one out there will love it wont they. Great weather, hotels and wealth. Doesnt mean much to us real fans though does it?!

12. Just when things were about to get interesting…….
    From then on a completer snoozer.
    They can spend as much money as they want on lights and tunnels but it’ll never capture the magic of the fans presence at a real race track.
    What a sterile concrete mausoleum, yeah the sunset was cool.

13. mp4-19b said on 1st November 2009, 15:50

Good race overall. Shame that Hamilton was forced to retire with a brake problem. Exciting driving from Kobayashi. I’m quite happy with the circuit.

• steph90 said on 1st November 2009, 16:09

Agree I like it. Not the worst Tilke at all.

• Xanathos said on 1st November 2009, 17:13

Certainly one of his better tracks. And unlike Turkey, there are actually fans there.

I think if only the best three of the Tilke-tracks are kept on the F1 calendar (And if not every single new track would be designed by him) he will be remembered as a great racetrack architect.

• Maksutov said on 2nd November 2009, 4:06

Shame that Hamilton was forced to retire with a brake problem.

Which brings a point. I still don’t understand the brake problem Hamilton had. Clearly while he was still out on the track (in front of Webber and behind Vettel) he was able to maintain the gap. So just how much of a Brake problem did we really have!?

Hamilton retiring was a surprise to me and simply did not make sense. Clearly if he had a major brake problem, in no way would he have been able to stay in front of Webber, or in front of Vettel for that long. It simply did not make sense how the brake was such a dangerous problem considering his pace. As silly as this sounds it just seemed like the retirements was more of a publicity decision than anything else.

14. gabal said on 1st November 2009, 15:51

Horrible – twitter about the race was more interesting then the race itself. Only Valencia was duller then this and I wonder what would have happened if Kobayashi didn’t race…

• Icarus said on 1st November 2009, 17:31

Umm Silverstone, Suzuka, Singapore, Barcelona all much more dull than this race during this season. What are you talking about?

15. Ah yes Valencia, one would get a similar spectacle if they moved the LBGP to a track around the container docks.

1 2 3 4