Abu Dhabi Grand Prix in pictures

Sebastian Vettel chases after Lewis Hamilton at the start of the race

Sebastian Vettel chases after Lewis Hamilton at the start of the race

You could accuse the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix of being just style over substance – but the style was certainly grand.

Still when you look into the stands on some of these pictures you have to wonder why so many of the 50,000 seats they sold were empty. Here’s a gallery of spectacular pictures from the 2009 F1 season finale.

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix in pictures

Images (C) Ferrari spa, Brawn GP, Renault/LAT, Williams/LAT, Bridgestone, www.mclaren.com, Getty Images/Red Bull, Force India F1 Team, Toyota F1 World, BMW ag

17 comments on Abu Dhabi Grand Prix in pictures

1. Brawn said on 2nd November 2009, 18:22

Some beautiful pics there, lovely track.

2. Net Sticks said on 2nd November 2009, 18:33

that glowing of the net arounf the hotel made some fantastic tv images!

Great race too. Too bad Lewis had that bnack left brake problem – he would be, at least at the Podium!

Congrats to Button and Brawn again. Let’s see if next year without the 6 races in advantage and that storie about the difusers they will stay on top… I have my doubts…

3. shyguy2008 said on 2nd November 2009, 18:42

wow, some very nice pictures especially the fifth one of grojean and alonso

• I was going to say the same, but for different reasons, I’m afraid.

I think this picture reflects how things are going in this moment in Renault.

They are in the dark as if there was no light for anybody.

Maybe their parent company and kubica (and Glock?) will light a light for them next year, I sincerely hope so.

4. Juliya said on 2nd November 2009, 20:38

Awensome pictures!
    Vettel shines under the Abu Dhabi lights!!! WOW!

5. TheGreatB188 said on 2nd November 2009, 22:30

Hmmmmm… I cannot fault this circuit for spectator amenity, driver safety, opportunity for passing, spectacular-ness, etc etc. The designers of the whole facility have done a magnificent job in bringing all of these desirable attributes together into one package. Even the day/night format was appealing. But the place leaves me cold – like after viewing the movie “Speed Racer”. I couldn’t shake the feeling of watching a street circuit race especially during the night half. The TV coverage had the look of a video game which is okay but only if you are the one doing the driving not just spectating. This kind of race has its place in F1 because it is unique and in the spirit of technical progress, but I hope it is not the template for things to come as the few remaining “traditional” circuits in Europe become finacially unviable. By all means have Abu Dhabi replace the horror of Singapore, but please keep some old school circuits in the mix or design some that deliberately capture the feel of the great circuits of the past.

6. Prisoner Monkeys said on 3rd November 2009, 0:47

I’ve been waiting for these pictures. More epicness, I see. As is my habit, I’ve got a new wallpaper – shot number eleven, of Hamilton.

Legard commented on Singapore during the broadcast. He said that they’re apparently looking at making some changes to the final sector of the circuit next year. He made his most intelligent comment of the year when he said the chicanes across the waterfront need to go. Get reid of that section that goes under the grandstand – it’s only a novelty thing, anyway – and have it straight from Piquet’s corner to the final bend, and you’ve got instant improvement right there.

7. Where are the yachts? The background of yachts combined with the cars racing would have made for awesome pics. Like Monaco.

8. Keith, just recently discovered your amazing high res collections, thankyou so much for sharing them! My work PC looks great now with a background of an airborn Timo or a sharp panning shot of a flying Redbull!!

9. UnicornF1 said on 3rd November 2009, 13:07

Great pics Keith!
    I just used one of Hamilton’s for my avatar ;-)

10. adaptalis said on 3rd November 2009, 16:28

Where can i get the full picture that starts this article?

Thanks!

11. Wesley said on 3rd November 2009, 21:42

What a surprise….lots of empty seats…and with such a rich racing heritage there…..*ahem

Very nice pics though.

12. Wesley said on 3rd November 2009, 21:52

Heidfeld riding off into the sunset makes me sad.I hope that is not the last we see of him.

13. Markus said on 4th November 2009, 16:18

Wesley,

Is your comment about the attendance just a low blow or is it something you want to get off your chest, the race was packed…sold out, and the qualifiers where probably 90-95% full…..take a look at picture 13 and tell me the stands are empty…

• Wesley said on 4th November 2009, 18:11

As Keith posted at the top of the article:

“Still when you look into the stands on some of these pictures you have to wonder why so many of the 50,000 seats they sold were empty.”

My point is the seats were PAID FOR by corporations but not used because people there are not as fanatical about racing.