SaloolaS is the 2009 F1 Fanatic Predictions Champion

A perfect prediction at Monaco put SaloolaS on course for the championship

A perfect prediction at Monaco put SaloolaS on course for the championship

SaloolaS has beaten competition from over 1,000 F1 Fanatic readers to become the first ever F1 Fanatic Predictions Champion.

A final score of 270 points means SaloolaS is the 2009 champion with 20 points more than closest runner-up, Dank.

Richard Evans takes third place and the second runner-up prize with 245 points.

But the final prize-winning place of fourth had to be decided on a count-back. In the end Dougie narrowly beat PJA – the pair both scored 240 points and both also predicted the same number of race winners (five) and second place finishers (four). Dougie took the place by dint of correctly predicting more third place finishers – four to PJA’s two.

That seems a harsh way to deprive PJA of a prize, so I’ll see if I can rustle up a worthwhile consolation gift. Here’s what the winners will receive:

First place: SaloolaS

• An original F1 painting by Rob Ijbema
  • Five F1 DVDs from Duke Video: “Formula One 1970: The uncrowned champion”, “Formula Villeneuve: A tribute to Gilles Villeneuve”, “The World’s Greatest F1 Cars”, “Champion: Hill” and “Nine Days in Summer”
  • ??60 to spend on F1 merchandise at Onpole.com

Runners-up prizes: Dank, Richard Evans and Dougie

• Copies of “Lotus Goes Turbo” DVDs from Duke Video
  • ??30 to spend on F1 merchandise at Onpole.com

Thanks to everyone who joined in the predictions championship and special mentions go to all of you who entered every round and the 33 that out-scored me!

Thanks also to Ian Haycox for creating his excellent software that allowed me to run the championship much more effectively.

We’ll be back with a bigger and better competition next year so please offer any thoughts on how we can improve the contest.

55 comments on SaloolaS is the 2009 F1 Fanatic Predictions Champion

1 2 3
  1. Keith, Just want to thank you for taking the time and energy to organize the predictions contest. Great idea and thouroughly enjoyed by me and I’m sure all that participated. Congrats to SaloolaS and everyone else who bettered my predictions this season. I’ll have to work on my deductive skills over the winter and try to do better next year! Thanks for running a really fun interactive site for all of us F1Fanatics!

2. sato113 said on 4th November 2009, 2:10

thanks Keith, really fun contest. Perhaps you could make a quick predictions contest all about the 2010 season. which teams will succeed, what will be the next scandal, which drivers will drop out etc.?(something fun to do in the off-season!)

3. This year has been hard to predict. Made it very interesting. Especially since I have lost the chance to get full points a few times due to late race changes.

4. F1Fan said on 4th November 2009, 4:28

Keith, here is a suggestion: Add a couple of pre-season items to the contest. (a) Which driver will win the WDC and (b) which team will win the constructors’. This will account for some extra points. Deadline for entering picks would be the day before the 1st Friday of pre-race practice.

• sato113 said on 4th November 2009, 20:50

nah that’s ages away though. everyone would have to wait till all the winter testing is finished to make their predictions. we need something now.

5. Jamaza said on 4th November 2009, 5:36

Another suggestion : Points for guessing who will run out of fuel.

6. Ferrari said on 4th November 2009, 5:50

Our attorneys wish to inform you that we’ve launched a formal complaint with the FIA on behalf of the guy who lost on the tie-break.

7. mp4-19b said on 4th November 2009, 6:35

First of all a big thank you to Keith & Ian of course. Congratulations to Saloolas,Dank, Richard,Dougie & PJA. Really feel sorry for PJA. And for all those who didn’t make it through:———> “There is always a next time” :)

69th isn’t too bad considering the fact that I scored only 10 points in the first 5 races :P

8. Arun.India said on 4th November 2009, 6:38

24th is a pretty good place to be in…….Will break into top 10 by next year…….:)

• Arun.India said on 4th November 2009, 6:42

Great job with the predictions championship.I especially love the automatic system which was introduced in the later part of the season.

9. wasiF1 said on 4th November 2009, 7:14

Thanks Keith for this wonderful game.Congratulation to SaloolaS & all the other prize getter.
    15th for me is not bad when I see 1000 Fanatics out there fighting & I am one of that 33 who beats Keith.

Hope you run this championship next season from the start of the season.

10. Siwongo said on 4th November 2009, 7:27

Very happy with 24th, may not win anything but it’s quite high.

Thanks for doing all this Keith :)

11. Congratulation to SalooaS and all runner up, but not pretending minimize their success, big congratulations to Keith.

1.000 people making their predictions is lot of people. You are a working-machine!

Keith, I’m afraid we need to raise the level for saying you “Congrats” because you must feel yourself little bit conceited with those too much flatteries. :-) :-) :-)

12. Richard Evans said on 4th November 2009, 8:00

Congrat Saloolas, no one had an answer to you all seasn, im just happy with third woo!

Thanks keith its a great competition, I think the 2010 comp will be even more hotly contested

13. Woohoo! I came second! :-D

Congratulations to SaloolaS and the other runners up, plus thanks to Keith for hosting the competition next year.

Look forward to challenging for the top spot in 2010!

14. HounslowBusGarage said on 4th November 2009, 8:13

Congratulations to all, in particular Saloolas, Dank and the others. And many thanks to Keith and Ian(?) for managing such a huge enterprise.
    I think I ran them pretty close, y’know . . . a mere 150 points behind.

15. steph90 said on 4th November 2009, 8:20

Thanks Keith and Ian it is a wonderful idea.
    Congrats Dank, Richard and Dougie. Big congratulations to SaloolaS though, you’ve done brilliantly.

16. DanThorn said on 4th November 2009, 8:47

Equal 39th, not too bad. I’m rueing my mid season slump! Congrats to SaloolaS and everybody else who beat me!

Thanks for such a great feature this year Keith and Ian!

17. UnicornF1 said on 4th November 2009, 8:48

Great competition, Keith!!!
    Congrats to the winners!

Here are some thoughts…

How about adding a prediction concerning:
    – who will make the fastest lap
    – who will make the most overtakes

Another thing if possible, is to let us predict:
    – the pole position time
    – the fastest lap time
    Points for this will take whoever is within 1 second.
    For example, if someone is 1 second or more off, he would take 0 points, if he is 100% correct he would take all the points, if he is 0.5 seconds off he would take half of the points and so on.

If you add this last suggestion, then next year I don’t think that there would be any tie in any place.

I have to say also that this has worked perfectly in another similar prediction championship that I took part!

What do you think Keith?

• UnicornF1 said on 4th November 2009, 8:55

only to add that the prediction times should be entered with accuracy up to 1 millisecond and that is why there would be no ties, since within a second there would be 2000 different points awarded for the pole position time and another 2000 different points awarded for the fastest lap time!
      Their combination is 2000*2000=4000000 different awarded points.
      It would be 1 out of 4000000 to have a tie :-D

• UnicornF1 said on 4th November 2009, 8:58

It would be 1 out of 4000000 for a tie in a single race!
      How about the whole championship?

• Damon said on 4th November 2009, 11:26

I say “NO!” to all of your ideas.
      The game has to be pure – just the important results, no nonsense and things that don’t matter.

• ianhaycox said on 4th November 2009, 17:03

Adding a prediction for the driver with the fastest lap might add a bit of randomness. We have seen a few times this year drivers who finished out of the points stick a couple of fast laps in near the end of the GP. RAI, WEB, ROS off the top of my head.

For pole position time – you could get points for within 1%, 5% or 10% ? of the time. With low fuel qualifying next year it might be interesting.

18. Alex White said on 4th November 2009, 9:17

Well done SaloolaS =), i only started the predictions in the last 2 gp’s, so i hope next year i can give you competition :D

19. I just want to say thanks to Keith for running the Predictions Championship and to Ian for coming up with the software later in the season, I am sure it made things a lot easier.

Congratulations to SalooaS and the runners up Dank, Richard Evans and Dougie.

Keith there is no need to go to any trouble to find an extra prize just because I lost out on a count-back as it seems perfectly fair to me, after all that is what would happen in the actual F1 Championship.

I never thought I would even be close to the top ten so fifth is a great result, it will be very hard for me to better it next year. I suppose predicting pole should be easier next season, as this year you always had to take into account what race fuel the cars would be on.

20. Ronman said on 4th November 2009, 10:27

Great concept Keith, and congrats to the winner.

i know i ranked somewhere in the bottom.. only played once and admire those who persisted.

I’ll probably pay more attention next year… all the best

1 2 3