BMW: Ten years in F1 in 100 pictures

F1 pictures

Ralf Schumacher's Williams-BMW gets airborne in 2002

Ralf Schumacher's Williams-BMW gets airborne in 2002

BMW entered F1 at the beginning of this decade and left at the end of it.

But as well as being an engine supplier to Williams for six years, then winning a race after taking over a team of their own, BMW also recognised the importance of doing something a bit special.

They put Alessandro Zanardi back behind the wheel of an F1 car, they took F1 back to the N???rburging, and they created the excellent Pit Lane Park.

It’s for that as much as their on-track performances that I’ll miss them. This gallery picks out a selection of highlights from their ten years in the sport.

Ten years of BMW in F1 in 100 pictures

BMW in pictures

Images (C) Williams/LAT, Bridgestone, BMW ag

51 comments on BMW: Ten years in F1 in 100 pictures

1. mp4-19b said on 13th November 2009, 12:43

Only one word to describe your effort Keith

WOW!

But surprised that the Brabham-BMW didn’t get a mention. That was the only time that they’ve ever tasted success.

• Abdurahman (@) said on 22nd May 2013, 3:08

I’m confused as to why Brabham-BMW isn’t mentioned here. It was full on BMW, even said M sport on the engine block and had the roundel on the cars I believe.

2. I don’t understand why some people are glad that BMW are leaving. I am quite annoyed that they left at the first sign of disaster, this years BMW was as bad as previous Hondas, however they atleast managed to improve their season towards the end and scored a reasonable 36 points.

For the previous 2 years, BMW were major players, they were either always right behind the McLarens and Ferrari’s or were even beating either of them on certain occasions. I still believe eventually they would have reached their 2008 level performance and maybe even exceeded it, but unfortunately we will never know that unless next years Sauber does a Brawn. BMW have also brought Kubica and Vettel into the sport.

It’s a shame that they leaving while being tagged as a joke, but at least their progress in F1 was great, and only Renault was better than them in that aspect (Won 2 races on merit in the seasons before their championship years). I also feel for Mario Thiessen, people blame him for not challenging for the 2008 championship, and calling him as a “non racer” but he was visibly disappointed when BMW held that press conference, and it seems he wants to stay with the Sauber team.

If only they knew at the time that this years car would be poor, could we have seen Kubica as the 2008 champion? They were also pretty close to the constructors (despite only having 1 win!). Maybe if they continued we would have BMW in the sport next year!

3. Thanks for the pictures, this was my favorite team!!

4. JWRPayne said on 13th November 2009, 14:23

Nice collection.

Anyone know what track that is in the first shot, with Jorg Muller testing?

5. Not especially liked the picture of Mansell’s crotch :)

6. Sorry, ‘I’ especially liked the picture of Mansell’s crotch

7. Ned Flanders said on 13th November 2009, 15:08

Which BMW livery was best?

o 2000 Williams
    o 2001- 05 Williams
    o 2006- 09 Sauber

I’d say the 2001- 05 Williams. It was very smart, if a bit boring, and I like the dark blue sections, similar to the old Prost

8. adaptalis said on 13th November 2009, 16:08

After watching the entire year, kinda got used to the wide front wing. But looking at the photo of the 08 and 09 car side-by-side, the ugliness of the 09 car really refreshed itself.

Purely comparing 08 and 09, still prefer 08 car.

• steph90 said on 13th November 2009, 16:19

I prefer 09 car…
      I always liked BMW. It’ll be sad to see them go. Who knows maybe they will be back one day.

• mp4-19b said on 13th November 2009, 16:21

I prefer 09 car…

hahahaha

• steph90 said on 13th November 2009, 16:33

I was serious about 09 car. Maybe I have gone mad … :P

• Ned Flanders said on 13th November 2009, 16:41

Yes you have gone mad! The 2009 BMW has to be one of the ugliest cars of all time.

I remember that day this time last year when BMW were the first team to run a car under 2009 regulations, I got such a shock. The only two teams to make their 09 cars look even remotely good were Mclaren and Red Bull

• I think for me the main problem with the F1.09 in the looks department, is the front wing especially those front wing endplates, it looks too boxy and basic, and I think the mainly white finish for the front wing highlights this more than it does on other 2009 F1 cars.

• steph90 said on 13th November 2009, 16:55

Aww Ned I thought you would be on my side as we both don’t mind the Renault. Clearly I am more insane than you (I may call it better taste:P)
            I used to hate the box look to it PJA but it has grown on me.

• Ned Flanders said on 13th November 2009, 17:30

Nope, you’re on your own on this one Steph!

• Sush Meerkat said on 14th November 2009, 13:03

I’m with Steph on this one, the 09 BMW is a looker when you look long enough at it, once they took out the KERS and had more room to sculpt the car.

It takes a while but you start to notice a lot of detail without flip ups, which is a plus point.

Yes i’m mad, I stare at the 09 BMW in ninth position.

9. Icthyes said on 13th November 2009, 16:16

Sad to see a team go (though not if they’re going to have that mentality), but at least I won’t have to see such ugly cars line up on the gird anymore – the last two years’ have been shockers! ;)

10. great pictures, great memories, thanks for this :)

11. A great collection of pictures.

I know it wasn’t successful and most people thought it was ugly but I still like the FW26 ‘walrus’ Williams from 2004. Part of the reason I like it is because it is different from all the other cars, if the concept had worked and so every time had adopted a similar front end I don’t think I would still like it as much though.

Although I wouldn’t really say I was a fan of BMW I will be sorry to see them leave F1.

12. Maciek said on 13th November 2009, 17:17

Aaaah, – the tusk-nosed Williams. Hard to argue that it’s beautiful, but I always thought it was very cool. Too bad it wasn’t aerodynamically viable. That Williams and this year’s Red Bull – the two most original F1 designs in a long time?

13. I actually liked the BMW team, much better than Toyota because they actually won a race!

Also Heidfeld was probably my favourite driver of the 2008 season because he also sprung up a surprise in some of the races, like Spa. He also definitely did the best overtakes that season, like Silverstone. It’s just a shame he hasn’t managed to win a race yet.

14. Mussolini's Pet Cat said on 13th November 2009, 21:35

I can’t believe anyone will actually miss BMW.. Can someone please tell what legacy they have left????

• maybe you won’t miss them, i will.

well, since they fusioned with Sauber, they fulfilled the plan like a real Swiss clockwork, the BMW board set for them.
      they took over Sauber in 2006, and finisched the year with 2 podiums. the original Sauber had like 6 podium finishes since their F1 debute in 1993!

in 2007 they made another step forward, they were regular top8 finishers, and challenged the podium as well, they became the 3rd strongest team behind Ferrari and McLaren.

in 2008 they delivered their 1st GP win, and challenged both championship titles.

this year should have been their year, according to the BMW board plans, but the acclimatising to the new rules made their life tougher than expected.

so basically in 3 years, 2006-07-08, they did one of the most spectacular improvements as a team the history of F1 have ever seen, or at least i see it this way. from the down-middle section to the top of the F1. i don’t think any of the 2010 newcomer teams can do the same.

and this year we could see, how they fought back and improved the car at the end of the season.

i’m glad that at least the Sauber-core remains which has proved that given the required money (from BMW), they can do what the greatest F1 teams can.

15. Where is the Kimi at photo?