“F1 2009″ by Codemasters (Wii)

F1 2009 for Nintendo Wii has an up-to-date roster of teams and tracks

F1 2009 for Nintendo Wii has an up-to-date roster of teams and tracks

Codemasters picked two formats for their new official Formula 1 game “F1 2009″.

Yesterday we looked at the handheld Sony PSP version – but what’s the game like played in full screen on a Nintendo Wii? Read on to find out.

It’s not hard to see why the Wii is the first major console to get the latest official Formula 1 game. Despite being technically inferior to the Sony PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 it has out-stripped both for sales. According to Nintendo at the end of last month over 56 million had been sold worldwide (see PDF).

Its motion-sensitive controller has broadened the appeal of gaming to people who wouldn’t usually pick up a joypad. And “F1 2009″ aims to play to that by coming boxed with a special adaptor which allows you to hold it like a steering wheel.

This makes for a much more enjoyable driving experience than you get playing the game on the PSP. I found it worked best when I switched to the in-car camera view so I could see exactly how turning my wheel affected the one on-screen.

It’s nothing like as accurate as using a proper steering wheel set-up. It has a large ‘dead zone’ in the centre of the turning motion, meaning you have to turn it quite a lot for the car to change direction. But it works perfectly well for the simplistic demands of “F1 2009’s” arcade-style racing.

The other major difference between “F1 2009″ on the Wii and PSP is that you are playing the game in full screen which show the graphics in all their glory. Or not, as the case might be.

Trying to render 20 cars on-screen at once taxes the Wii even with the comparatively simple graphics of “F1 2009″. Whenever you catch up with a clutch of cars at a tight corner there is a noticeable drop-off in frame rate. And if you execute a particularly stunning pass and want to watch a replay of it, you’ll be in for a disappointment as there’s no replay facility.

Much of the reaction to the early images and video of the game published here focused on the simplicity of the graphics. But Nintendo’s gamble that the Wii would ship more units by sacrificing graphical quality for a more tactile gaming experience proved accurate, so I suspect F1-loving Wii-owners will get exactly what they want out of this game. Xbox 360 and PS3 owners will get a 2010-spec game next year.

Apart from the control system and graphics, and some subtle differences in the menus, “F1 2009″ for the Wii is much the same as the PSP version, so do refer back to that review for more on the cars, tracks, teams, technology and other 2009 season details.

And if you’ve played either version of the game, please tell us what you thought of them in the comments.

F1Fanatic rating

Buy F1 2009 for Sony PSP

Buy F1 2009 for Nintendo Wii

F1 2009 for Nintendo Wii video

F1 Fanatic earns a commission on products sold via the links to our affiliate partners above, however you are not charged any extra.

52 comments on “F1 2009″ by Codemasters (Wii)

1. bit disappointing, please codemasters, let the better producers create f1 games, i just screwed my 50 euros…
    too low quality and ****** gameplay

2. Panos said on 20th November 2009, 9:50

You can use the nunchuk or the classic controller and it also supports the logitech wheel for wii.

3. You can win yourself a copy, courtesy of F1 Badger and Codemasters here: F1 2009 Wii Comp

4. Stitch said on 24th November 2009, 9:17

Just took delivery of F1 2009 on the Wii. Great game. OK not the best graphics but it is a Wii. You CAN tweek all the settings, wing angles, toe in, wheel cambers, gear ratios etc. My only real gripe is that all the cars seam to have KERS.

5. joeyjuviyani said on 19th December 2009, 0:37

Games based on the Formula One racing circuit tend to appeal mainly to hardcore racing fans. If you fall into that category, Codemasters have got you covered with the release of F1 2009 on PSP. Fans around the world will get the chance to take to the virtual grid and emulate their favorite drivers as F1 2009 races into stores across North America today. Europeans have to wait a couple more days before the title arrives in shops. The PSP edition of F1 2009 will also be available.
    For more on this you may visit at:

6. I guess singing the praises of GPL (Grand Prix Legends) will only mark me out as an ageing has-been. Still play it and get a kick from it , though.

7. BNK Racing said on 20th December 2009, 22:03

i’ll take it on PS3 thanx. hope to see higher quality!!

8. Harry said on 16th January 2010, 17:56

I’m an avid racing gamer on console only.

I love NFS Shift but I hate that you get rewarded for crashing into people. The graphics are great and it has better tracks than Forza3.

Forza 3 seems the more popular of these two games, especially if you play online. It has excellent graphics and the addition of Suzuka that SPEED doesn’t. But then Forza doesnt have SPA so it’s, for me, a give and take.

Forza3 has taken tuning and liveries to a level not seen before in other games.

For us F1 fans the biggest downfall of both games is no F1 cars in either game.

Living in the states it’s hard to get a decent F1 game for console so I was terrebly excited at last years news that Codemasters was doing a 2009 version. Gutted that I have to wait until mid October 2010 to play it on my xbox, as I dont have a wii. And the more I read about the the 2009 the more I think I will be dissapointed, although I will buy the game on release day as there arn’t any other options.

• thespuditron (@thespuditron) said on 16th July 2010, 20:49

I love NFS Shift but I hate that you get rewarded for crashing into people.

I found that slighty annoying too.
      That makes it too easy to level up.
      The game on a whole is a bit too easy and in my opinion it doesn’t have great replay value. You beat the game once and thats it.

The tracks look very well though I must say.

9. mollhkns said on 16th July 2010, 14:57

can you change the direction of the steering wheel?
    so that the car goes left when you turn left, and not right.
    (if you understand that?)