Kimi Raikkonen voted top driver of 2009

Kimi Raikkonen got the most votes in our 2009 F1 driver of the year poll.

But as sumedh pointed out in the forum, it seems we have had a large number of visitors from a Kimi Raikkonen community after the poll was put live. It’s clear from traffic patterns to the site this has had a deciding effect on the results.

I respect the right of people to choose who they wish to vote for. Raikkonen was among the most voted-for drivers before the influx of new visitors. I’m sure the regular F1 Fanatic visitors who picked him had sound reasons for doing so – many of which were persuasively argued here.

But it’s clear the poll has been unduly influenced by a group of people only interested in support for a particular driver who do not ordinarily contribute to the site. We may have to make changes in future to make sure future polls are a fair reflection of what regular F1 Fanatic readers think.

Here are the final results:

2009 F1 Fanatic driver of the year voting

22 Romain Grosjean 3
23 Jaime Alguersuari 2
24 Sebastien Buemi 1
24 Vitantonio Liuzzi 1

180 comments on Kimi Raikkonen voted top driver of 2009

1. WaahMaster said on 1st December 2009, 11:17

Polls like this and threads on F1 forums across the internet are being spoiled by desperate Raikkonen fans at the moment to the point where it’s hardly worth participating in them. Hopefully the WRC sites can ‘enjoy’ their input from next year onwards.

I’m in thee minds on which way to vote : Hamilton, Vettel, or Button. All have their strengths and weaknesses, but i’ll probably end up voting for Hamilton purely for his performances from Germany onwards.

2. Uncle said on 1st December 2009, 11:19

Raikkonen???? I needed a laugh….

3. Bullfrog said on 1st December 2009, 11:26

Are you sure the Nakajima fan club (all five of them) hasn’t done the same thing.

4. ajokay said on 1st December 2009, 11:32

So Lewis won then? Good on him, he did well. I believe he did far more with his bad McLaren than Kimi did with his bad Ferrari.

Divide Kimi’s score by 3, and that places him 4th in this list, which seems about right to me.

• vettelfan said on 2nd December 2009, 16:14

Totally agree with your logic. It would be wrong to disregard all of Kimi’s votes, but by dividing it by 3 (as about two thirds were probably fanboy/girl votes) makes sense.

5. GO KIMI!!!!! even after you left F1, you still winning the pols!!!!!!

6. hehehe said on 1st December 2009, 12:14

@ajokay…divide it by 2 (take half of his votes away)….and he still wins…what a silly argument…we can play with numbers all day and get all sorts of different outcomes (and I am an accountant, so we can go ALL DAY)….

7. stuart todd said on 1st December 2009, 12:14

kimi is number 1 ! even if tat prob didnt occur im sure he would be top! lik me and my friends are from Britain and we r all kimi supporters! people need 2 get over themselves and face up to the fact tat kimis fan base world wide is in a different league to every other driver!

8. Redmist said on 1st December 2009, 12:15

It is quite funny that some people seem so bitter about an internet poll.

The fact of matter is most of the championship contenders were quite average during the year with their superior cars. The only drivers who really stood out were Hamilton and Raikkonen.

Raikkonen made much less mistakes then Hamilton, Button, Vettel, and Barrichello. He outscored Button, Vettel, Barrichello and Webber in the second half of the season, all of them had way superior cars then the underdeveloped F60. Hamilton also did well during that time and he scored only two points more then Raikkonen also with a superior car, and many people don’t have any problem to name him as the top driver of the year.

Raikkonen deserves to be the top driver of the year just as much as any of the other ‘top’ drivers mentioned above and in fact more then others in many of the cases.

9. DanThorn said on 1st December 2009, 12:18

I’m an Alonso fan, but that doesn’t mean I thought he was the best this year. For me it was between Hamilton and Button, and I voted Button on the basis of Hamilton telling porkies at Melbourne and his somewhat patchy form at the start of the year.

I’m still an Alonso fan and always will be, voting for another driver doesn’t change that at all. I also like Rosberg, Heidfeld, Massa, Trulli and Webber, and I actually dislike Hamilton some what. Does that mean any of the drivers I just mentioned were better this year? No, because Hamilton was mostly brilliant this season. If the Kimi fans think that the massive skew in voting means he is the best driver of the year so be it, but this poll also shows that Luca Badoer drove better this year than Rosberg and Heidfeld…

10. steph said on 1st December 2009, 12:32

Keith you might want to look at this. Could be talkng about this site and issue :P

• Sush Meerkat said on 1st December 2009, 12:37

hahahahahaha, brilliant.

• That is brilliant. Very funny indeed.

I really do think it’s a shame that the rest of this thread could not take the same light-hearted approach to the poll.

All of you, whether you be Kimi fans or otherwise, chillax. Really.

Disclosure : I am a rabid Kimi fan, have been motor racing since I was a kid and watching F1 just as long. I still think Kimi was definitely in the top three drivers this year regardless of the result of the Championship, or this poll, but certainly don’t see why so many people are getting so hot under the collar here.

• Thanks Steph!

Indeed, I did not have to look too far for inspiration….

11. Sush Meerkat said on 1st December 2009, 12:34

I am against that idea, its a xenophobic attitude and only creates an “US” and “THEM” attitude within the regulars and outsiders, hostilities ensue. Possible new readers then don’t bother coming back.

12. steph said on 1st December 2009, 12:37

Is there anyone else thinking this has gone a bit mad? I don’t know whether I am amused or not. It isn;t about fanbases. Like in 07 I loved Massa but at times he was clueless against Kimi and not on form we see now. Can admit that as it is about who drives the best not who is the coolest

13. frederik said on 1st December 2009, 12:41

this poll has nothing to do with Kimi himself, it’s just all his fans… Im a fan of him, but don’t blame Kimi…

14. Icthyes said on 1st December 2009, 13:09

Imagine we “disqualified” Kimi – the places would be:

1 Lewis Hamilton 540
    2 Jenson Button 534
    3 Sebastian Vettel 501
    4 Robert Kubica 204
    5 Fernando Alonso 98

Which, apart from Kubica, seems very reasonable to me, even though it wouldn’t be my choice.

I don’t know what’s funnier – the madness of the poll or the Kimi fans who have come on here actually believing he was the best. I mean, respect opinions and everything, but it’s kinda funny how conveniently selective their reasoning has been. Kudos to Kimi fans who voted for someone else; had Lewis had the season Kimi did, I wouldn’t have voted for him.

• Soosbloed said on 1st December 2009, 13:18

But Hamilton only scored 2 points more than Kimi in the last part of the season with a better car….so if you look at it from that angle he had a worse season than Kimi….so sad that you have just proven your own comments wrong….

• DanThorn said on 1st December 2009, 13:28

And in the first half of the season Kimi scored the same as Lewis in a better car while Massa had 22…read what you will.

15. Sush Meerkat said on 1st December 2009, 13:56

Ladies and Gentlemen, I’ve got an idea!

Lets register to all these forums dedicated to one driver each, and when next year comes around create threads on them linking to this site.

Keith gets more traffic that way, and its even because not a single driver has more support that way.