Kimi Raikkonen voted top driver of 2009

Kimi Raikkonen got the most votes in our 2009 F1 driver of the year poll.

But as sumedh pointed out in the forum, it seems we have had a large number of visitors from a Kimi Raikkonen community after the poll was put live. It’s clear from traffic patterns to the site this has had a deciding effect on the results.

I respect the right of people to choose who they wish to vote for. Raikkonen was among the most voted-for drivers before the influx of new visitors. I’m sure the regular F1 Fanatic visitors who picked him had sound reasons for doing so – many of which were persuasively argued here.

But it’s clear the poll has been unduly influenced by a group of people only interested in support for a particular driver who do not ordinarily contribute to the site. We may have to make changes in future to make sure future polls are a fair reflection of what regular F1 Fanatic readers think.

Here are the final results:

2009 F1 Fanatic driver of the year voting

23 Jaime Alguersuari 2
24 Sebastien Buemi 1
24 Vitantonio Liuzzi 1

180 comments on Kimi Raikkonen voted top driver of 2009

1. It was a fix-up gov…

2. yeahhh... said on 1st December 2009, 16:24

It’s only legitimate if Hamilton or Button wins……..right.

3. stuart todd said on 1st December 2009, 16:37

why cause they r british? im british and think the right man won!

4. Pedel to the Vettel said on 1st December 2009, 16:39

What you need is a addon that you ask who is their favorite driver and stop them being able to vote for that driver in polls. Also stop having the voting allowed for non members to stop fanboys voting.

Or you find 100 people on your site that you believe wont be biased and just let them vote. I’m not biased, i might be a vettel fan but i voted for Button in that poll got actual reasons.

• Maciek said on 1st December 2009, 17:21

Dude, you are SO biased, you just like to talk about those other people, you know THE biased ones. Going by your posts, you think that if someone likes a driver that you don’t (e.g. Hamilton) they must be a fanboy.

• Pedel to the Vettel said on 1st December 2009, 23:16

No you just don’t like being called a fanboy, if you want to call me a fanboy thats fine by me because im not, it looks to me you have a bigger issue with this then i do since what your typing is if your anybody who doesn’t like Hamilton your biased without a question? I might not like Hamilton compared to other drivers it doesn’t mean 100% i will ignore what he has done over this year, so plz keep your half baked insults to yourself.

So who did you vote for then “Dude”? since your not biased at all………….

You and me wouldn’t be having this conversation if i didnt have a picture of vettel or have this name there are such things as people who like a certain driver but still give a good opinion to these forums and don’t have a ton of arrogance chucking insults at people making judgements.

You have no idea who i am or what i think but your just a person who jumps to judge a person wayyyyyy to early kid.

• Maciek said on 1st December 2009, 23:52

Well, seems to me that the person who brands a whole swath of people as biased if they hold a certain opinion before even hearing that opinion is rather the one who jumps to judgments…

• Maciek said on 1st December 2009, 23:59

Last one I swear! For your info: it’s got nothing to do with your nick or picture. And I voted for Button, just so you know.

• Jraybay-Lewismclarenfan said on 2nd December 2009, 17:39

We’re all a little biased. It is just blown out of proportion when you like the frontrunners. If I voted for Buemi and went on about how he did an excellent job. I’m sure some would find a way to agree. I had a tough time choosing between Hamilton, Vettel, Or barrichello.

5. Timba7 said on 1st December 2009, 17:11

Now i see what Prost meant when he said that F1 will miss Kimi coz he has so huge fanbase all over the world.

6. Timba7 said on 1st December 2009, 17:18

…. heh i dont mean the poll results, but comments you all have made here.

I think that Kimi is pure racer and that makes him interesting, and the thing that he comes from small country and has given hard time to guys like DC and Massa… also makes him easy to hate. (and Hammi by point, and Alonso by point)

Love him or hate him but he should have a seat at F1.

7. just me said on 1st December 2009, 17:43

Why do you even bother organizing these polls if you don’t like the results?

• Jraybay-Lewismclarenfan said on 1st December 2009, 18:41

This poll was organized for one vote of your choice pilot. But some guys make many votes for Kimi based on popularity. The results are kind of inaccurate. Keith wants to prevent this kind of thing for the future polls.

8. Jraybay-Lewismclarenfan said on 1st December 2009, 18:37

It’s not a real representation of Kimi’s 2009 season. This poll ended up being about the ridiculous Raikkonen fans. But the same can be said for everyone who thinks Robert kubica is “the best” and vote for him. Sometimes it seems like the most popular driver wins….even though maybe they shouldn’t :\ . Fan clubs support who they support. It seems like many people here like to see a fair poll though, that’s good : D

9. Hallard said on 1st December 2009, 18:48

Wow! Talk about bringing out the fanboys…

I think Kimi was great fun to watch this year, but I dont think he deserves the top spot. I think Hamilton was the most exciting to watch, but Button was clearly the best all-around performer. Just my opinions.

10. Hallard said on 1st December 2009, 18:51

I just noticed that Robert Kubica got 5th! How is that even possible?! This is definitely a popularity contest…

11. Sebastian said on 1st December 2009, 19:00

Didn’t Keith put Alonso way up his “driver rankings” in 08′, for making a good show of a lousy car? Why Kimi shouldn’t be rated as high, I don’t know. Bias?

12. Sebastian said on 1st December 2009, 19:02

Yes and Button third! I mean for gods sake he’s worse than Fisi.

13. craig said on 1st December 2009, 20:20

This is exactly why I find little interest in these articles. Keith, I would prefer to sticking with real news and gossip, rather than easily manipulated polls.

But I may be in the minority.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 1st December 2009, 20:51

In my experience, polls tend not to get manipulated in this way. The exception until now had been the “Who’s your favourite driver” poll, which on reflection left itself open to this kind of abuse.

Whether this sort of thing is going to be more of a problem in the future I’m not sure. Aside from this one and the “favourite” poll I think the other polls we’ve had have reflected very well how most F1 fans feel about particular topics: whether its the best circuits, races or whatever (see the archive for more: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/credits-and-contacts/pollsarchive/). Drivers and teams will probably always be trickier to poll on, and I think we may need a more sophisticated solution for that. Suggestions welcome…

• suggestions?

hey! u don’t have to worry about it for next year..considering the number of people having something against Kimi, m jus glad he s outta F1!!

14. Twynholm said on 1st December 2009, 21:06

I think you’ll find the majority of site-users will automatically vote for their ‘favourite’ driver in a poll like this.

End of. There’s no way this can be restricted.

15. Why can’t people just accept that someone else thought Raikkonen was driver of the year? Okay i’m sure the majority of those votes were just from fanboys, but people here and on other sites are finding it ridiculous that he is the driver of the year and I don’t understand why… If he had a year like 2008 again I’d be the first one to admit he was one of the worst drivers this year, but he didn’t.

In fact he did a great job, like I have said before on this site, he was equal on points to Hamilton in the first half of the season with a superior car, but he was only one point shy of Hamilton in the second half in a car which had no right to win races, when McLaren had a car which could have won 5 races this year if they had better luck or if Lewis/McLaren didn’t mess up (Monaco/Germany/Valencia/Hungary and Singapore..)

So what does that say about Hamiltons efforts then? They were both great, better than the title contenders in my opinion, but it is just that, my opinion and I respect other peoples opinions unless it is just silly like saying Raikkonen was crap this year.