Kamui Kobayashi joins Sauber for 2010

Kamui Kobayashi impressed in his second race for Toyota at Abu Dhabi

Kamui Kobayashi impressed in his second race for Toyota at Abu Dhabi

Kamui Kobayashi will stay in F1 after being signed by Peter Sauber’s team for 2010.

The Japanese driver’s F1 career was in doubt after Toyota, who backed his career for many years and gave him his F1 break, pulled out of the sport.

Peter Sauber said Kobayashi’s performances at Interlagos and Yas Island has played a big role in his decision to add him to his 2010 F1 driver line-up:

I?m very much looking forward to working together with Kamui. In the final two Grand Prix of last season he was granted an unexpected chance to show his skills, and he made impressive use of it. Particularly in the Abu Dhabi race he demonstrated not only that he can drive fast and aggressively, but also his ability to successfully implement a strategy. I am convinced he has a great deal of potential and will be able to make the most of it in our team.
Peter Sauber

It’s not clear whether Kobayashi has brought any sponsorship with him as part of the deal.

The deal means F1 will have at least one Japanese driver next year despite Kazuki Nakajima losing his seat with Williams and Takuma Sato failing to land a drive with Lotus.

Kobayashi said he was proud to be carrying on in Formula 1:

Ever since the start of my career I have dreamed of racing in Formula One. Now this dream has come true. I am very happy that my two races in 2009 have earned me a cockpit place. I will do my very best for Peter Sauber?s team and I am proud to be able to carry on flying the Japanese flag in Formula One.
Kamui Kobayashi

Sauber press release:

Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

Kamui Kobayashi joins Sauber

Image (C) Toyota F1 World

70 comments on Kamui Kobayashi joins Sauber for 2010

1. 2010 is a year of the tiger and i wanna see him in a battle with schumacher, alonso and hamilton

• Dennis said on 17th December 2009, 15:33

Let’s not forget Vettel. I’m curious to see how Kobayashi will do. He’s a tremendous talent, that’s something he showed in the toyota last year. But how good is he at the car set-up? Will he equal the likes of Alonso and Vettel? We’ll have to wait and see. I also wonder if he’s able to match Hülkenberg in F1. He got destroyed by the young German in GP2. Anyway, very happy to see him back in F1! The guy clearly has a very attractive driving style!

2. roberttty said on 17th December 2009, 11:13

2010 is also a Year of the Tiger and Rabbit in the Chinese Calendar.

Lets hope Kobayashi’s performance is not the latter… =)

3. Good, good. Peter Sauber has strange powers when it comes to choosing his drivers. Go Kamui!

4. three4three said on 17th December 2009, 11:16

Just read this just now… Wooohooooo!!!
    Fantastic, so chuffed for him. I guess that Panasonic money must have helped somewhat. Can’t wait for the racing to start! :D

5. antonyob said on 17th December 2009, 11:26

Yes 2009 was hardly the year of the tiger was it !

At last a Japanese driver there on merit. I just hope he keeps his gung ho attitude, too many gun slingers come into f1 and get finger wagged to death if they dare to move in the braking zone or shut the door on someone.

6. sumedh said on 17th December 2009, 11:39

Good news!! Bloke deserves a chance

7. Icthyes said on 17th December 2009, 11:42

Great news! Was hoping more for Renault but since BMW were more competive than them last year, maybe Sauber will be a better bet after all. I think Koba will have a much better environment at Sauber so who knows, maybe a shock podium for Kamui.

8. Peter Rippon said on 17th December 2009, 11:53

Good news indeeed. If Peter Sauber can calm him down, teach him to manage his tyres, we might see the most impressive Japanese driver yet. This is good for the sport, good for the public and good for Mr E, whom I am sure had more input than Panasonic on this, realising the impact Kamui made on the fans. This will balance the grid and keep the established “stars”on their toes as the world champion can testyfy. Still think Kubica is going to be wasted at Renault and would prefer him at Mercedes with Rosberg!

9. F1 Outsider said on 17th December 2009, 13:36

Good news!! If BMW really did keep developing next year’s car throughout the 09 season, Sauber just might have a decent car and Kobayashi might be able to ruffle some feathers around the mid pack. It will be interesting to watch. 2010 is building up to be an awesome season that promises to be ultra competitive with so many good drivers in cars that are capable of winning races.

10. sato113 said on 17th December 2009, 14:23

yesssssss!!!!!!! this has brightened up my day. :)

11. flossyblossy said on 17th December 2009, 14:49

Yay!!! I was hoping someone would snap him up as he was absolutely fantastic in the last 2 races.

Kobayashi driving, Lewis and Jenson as team mates, Lotus back….I can’t wait for the season to start now!

How many sleeps is it now? :-)

12. That’s awesome! I am glad Kamui got a drive. I was hoping with Toyota but oh well, look what happened to Toyota. He’s better off at Sauber anyways.

13. ILoveVettel said on 17th December 2009, 15:06

Great news… I am so very happy for him…

14. Rob R. said on 17th December 2009, 15:22

Yes, excellent!

If/when Schumi comes back too, I know I will watch F1 next year now. When Kimi quit I was considering giving up.

15. smiles :)