Official: Schumacher to make F1 return

2010 F1 season

Michael Schumacher will drive for the Mercedes F1 team in 2010

Michael Schumacher will drive for the Mercedes F1 team in 2010

Michael Schumacher will return to F1 with Mercedes Grand Prix, the team has announced.

The seven-times champion will form an all-German line-up with Nico Rosberg in 2010. Schumacher said he was “totally fired up for next year”.

He will be re-united with Ross Brawn, who guided Schumacher to all seven of his world championship victories at Benetton and Ferrari.

Speaking to the BBC Schumacher confirmed he was offered the deal in November and insisted that being able to work with Brawn was an important factor in his decision to return:

There was no other combination I would like to work for. Ross is a long-term friend and together we have both won races we shouldn’t have.
Michael Schumacher

In a statement on his official website Schumacher said:

Until recently, I was absolutely sure that I had ended my career as a race driver at Ferrari. But sometimes things change suddenly and unexpectedly. All of a sudden, the framework conditions aren’t the same anymore. At that point, you have to reconsider the decisions you’ve made. And, to tell the truth, the failed comeback attempt last summer gave me reason to reconsider my situation. I was surprised myself how fast and how strong I committed myself to this topic again. Apparently, my batteries recharged completely during the last three years. And when – thanks to Ross – the opportunity arose to drive for Mercedes GP, I realized that my old motivation was back, full of fresh energy and great force.
Michael Schumacher

Schumacher drove for Mercedes in the World Sportscar Championship from 1990-1991, during which time he got his F1 break with Jordan.

He now has the chance to add to his record tally of wins (91), pole positions (68), fastest laps (76) and, of course, his seven world championships.

Since failing to return to F1 this year as a substitute for Felipe Massa Schumacher has kept busy, racing karts in Las Vegas (against Nelson Piquet Jnr and Sebastien Buemi) and winning Massa’s annual karting challenge in Brazil.

What’s your reaction to Schumacher’s return? Are you glad he’s back – or do you wish he’d stayed in retirement? Leave a comment below.

Schumacher and Mercedes

Image (C) Ferrari spa

209 comments on Official: Schumacher to make F1 return

1 2 3 8
  1. SonicJunkie said on 23rd December 2009, 10:39

I’m really glad, it’s gonna be pretty interesting — Schuey fighting wheel-to-wheel against Ham!

• I really don’t know what I’m looking forward to most – Schumi vs Hamilton, Schumi vs Vettel or Schumi vs Ferrari

• This is unfair to younger drivers and especially Rosberg who will be compared with the same car. There is no win situation for them. If they lose from him then people will say how much better he is and that they can’t even win him at 41. If they kick the hell out of him then no one is gonna say they are great. People are gonna say that they won him because his 41.
        This is all in his benefit. It seems kind of unfair. I’m also sorry for poor Nick. He lost his change to drive for first time in his career in a possible winning car.
        If i was Hamilton for example, i would be glad to go wheel on wheel with him if he still got it but i would like people to recognize that i beat him fair and square if i win and not give me “it was because his old” crap afterworlds.

• I disagree about Nico and Nick, if Nico kicks the crap out of him he will be an F1 hero. Doesn’t matter that he is 41. If he doesn’t well….that’s his fault.

Nick has had his chance to be great and has always just been consistently decent. He is not losing out because of another driver, he is losing out because of his performance.

I do agree with you about Hamilton, and I think that extends to a few others. It will be hard to say ‘Hamilton beat Schumacher and is therefore better’.

Overall, this just adds to a really interesting season.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 23rd December 2009, 17:23

I don’t agree – this is still Michael Schumacher and I don’t believe he would be coming back if he weren’t completely convinced he can win.

• It’s not about him not being prepared, am talking about what people will say. Let’s say he loses from the new stars on the grid despite driving good and not losing his speed. Will anyone say. A! yeah it’s obvious they were better that him? No. They will look at the number of championships, his fame and they will say: He must not be as good as he was.
            Even if himself insist that it had nothing to do with his age people will say that he doesn’t want to admit that his not as fast as he was and that his getting old.

• Carl27 said on 23rd December 2009, 23:56

Just like in 2006 when Alonso beat him.

• dlaird said on 16th January 2010, 22:34

This is great. The legend returns. To top it off he is back with ross brawn. It is going to be a great season. I am also glad they are doing away with refueling. I was so sick of the fuel strategy helping to dictate a race win. Now it will be more about the driver and car instead of “strategy”.

2. IF he really is coming back, I’ll be glad (even though I’m a Ferrari fan) but I won’t believe that until I see him at the grid at Bahrain.

3. GP4 Carl said on 23rd December 2009, 10:41

Superb

4. Woop! Looking forward to the new season.. 80 days and counting.

2010 is going to be an epic train of WDCs unable to overtake each other in heavy fuelled cars!

5. Icthyes said on 23rd December 2009, 10:44

HE’S BACK!

6. I’m a Ferrari fan. I would have preferred to see him again on the Rossa…but I’m so happy for his come back that I will support him, all the same.

7. And yes, and exciting season is going to start!!!

8. Arun Srini said on 23rd December 2009, 10:52

can’t get a better b-day present.. all hail the king!!

9. Daniel K said on 23rd December 2009, 10:56

F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C!! I’m glad he’s back, of course. However, as a Felipe Massa fan, I get worried and excited. Next season will be the best in history:

1) A complete German (and successful) team, with a senven-times world champion;
    2) A complete British (and successful) team, with two world champions;
    3) The ban of refuelling;

Oh God… can’t wait to next season.

10. Ubanga said on 23rd December 2009, 11:06

you’re gonna ruin your career Michael. leaving Ferrari is errr…. you know, dumb decision.

• David A said on 23rd December 2009, 18:11

Losing a few races for Mercedes doesn’t equal minus 91 wins or minus 7 world titles so errr… you know, dumb statement.

• Roger449 said on 23rd December 2009, 23:52

lol ye i second that,,, plus Mercedes is a SUCCESSFUL team. Its under Brawn management and look at what is possible from the 09 season. I don’t think its that obvious that Ferrari is superior to Brawn (Mercedes GP).

• cam said on 9th March 2010, 18:27

well, It’s not like he’s pursuing a ‘carrer’ anymore. At this point he can do whatever he wants just for fun. Nothing’s gonna ruin his record.
      I just think that it’s just one less seat for a new aspiring driver, that’s the only part I don’t like.

11. I am still surprised Schumacher is coming back to F1, I thought if he ever decided to return it would only be with Ferrari, but then they don’t have a spare seat available.

Although I am not a fan of his I am glad he is coming he is returning as it will add to the competition in F1, four World Champions on the grid in 2010.

Although I don’t think he will be at his peak I think that he should be able to beat Rosberg over the course of the season and win a few races.

12. ledzep4pm said on 23rd December 2009, 11:07

what a brilliant season next year will be,

Jenson and lewis at Mclaren
    Massa and Alonso at Ferrari
    Vettel in a strong red bull
    Schumi in a strong Merc

6 people capable of winning the WDC (in theory)

13. Ned Flanders said on 23rd December 2009, 11:14

I don’t like Schumacher at all, but I’m still really excited that he’s coming back.

But now that the driver I love to hate is at an all German team… well let’s just say as a Brit I won’t be supporting Mercedes next season

• Does this mean that Merc will become your most disliked team and not Ferrari now? :P

• Well if they start getting the treatment Ferrari was getting when he was there, then i guess many people will hate Mercedes.
        OMG i just remembered that his old buddy Todt is the head of the FIA.
        No one is gonna bother Mercedes to reduce the engine revs now.

• Adrian said on 23rd December 2009, 17:22

So Merc will have free reign to improve their engines you say….hmm who else would benefit from that?? Why yes, Jenson and Lewis… Ho-ho-ho…sorry, got carried away in the Christmas spirit, meant to say Mwah-ha-hah…

• Ned Flanders said on 23rd December 2009, 15:29

Perhaps they will… when I decide I’ll let you know!

I think there’s a big element of patriotism in who I do and don’t support. One of the reasons I’m anti Ferrari is that they are effectively the Italian national team. Now Mercedes are the German team, and being English I’m inevitably ever so slightly anti German!

14. SaloolaS said on 23rd December 2009, 11:18

So it’s British Mclaren-Hamilton-Button vs. German Mercedes-Rosberg-Schumacher. That’s gonna be a fight.

15. Great,all we’ll hear from the race commentators for the fisrt 6 races will be Schumacher this Schumacher that.
    There will even be a new betting window open for how many times the name Schumacher is mentioned during n F1 broadcast.
    There’ll be one first though . It will be the first time in F1 broadcast history that a midfield runner will get more airtime than the leader.

1 2 3 8