Official: Schumacher to make F1 return

2010 F1 season

Michael Schumacher will drive for the Mercedes F1 team in 2010

Michael Schumacher will drive for the Mercedes F1 team in 2010

Michael Schumacher will return to F1 with Mercedes Grand Prix, the team has announced.

The seven-times champion will form an all-German line-up with Nico Rosberg in 2010. Schumacher said he was “totally fired up for next year”.

He will be re-united with Ross Brawn, who guided Schumacher to all seven of his world championship victories at Benetton and Ferrari.

Speaking to the BBC Schumacher confirmed he was offered the deal in November and insisted that being able to work with Brawn was an important factor in his decision to return:

There was no other combination I would like to work for. Ross is a long-term friend and together we have both won races we shouldn’t have.
Michael Schumacher

In a statement on his official website Schumacher said:

Until recently, I was absolutely sure that I had ended my career as a race driver at Ferrari. But sometimes things change suddenly and unexpectedly. All of a sudden, the framework conditions aren’t the same anymore. At that point, you have to reconsider the decisions you’ve made. And, to tell the truth, the failed comeback attempt last summer gave me reason to reconsider my situation. I was surprised myself how fast and how strong I committed myself to this topic again. Apparently, my batteries recharged completely during the last three years. And when – thanks to Ross – the opportunity arose to drive for Mercedes GP, I realized that my old motivation was back, full of fresh energy and great force.
Michael Schumacher

Schumacher drove for Mercedes in the World Sportscar Championship from 1990-1991, during which time he got his F1 break with Jordan.

He now has the chance to add to his record tally of wins (91), pole positions (68), fastest laps (76) and, of course, his seven world championships.

Since failing to return to F1 this year as a substitute for Felipe Massa Schumacher has kept busy, racing karts in Las Vegas (against Nelson Piquet Jnr and Sebastien Buemi) and winning Massa’s annual karting challenge in Brazil.

What’s your reaction to Schumacher’s return? Are you glad he’s back – or do you wish he’d stayed in retirement? Leave a comment below.

Schumacher and Mercedes

Image (C) Ferrari spa

209 comments on Official: Schumacher to make F1 return

1. Poor old Nico.

He probab;y didn’t expect to be number 2.

It’s great news though!!!!!!!

BRING ON 2010!!!

• JerseyF1 said on 23rd December 2009, 12:06

Not too bad for Nico long term though as Schumi isn’t going to be around for all that long and he should learn a lot from him (like Massa did) and should also benefit from experience in developing and setting up the car. Nico has to focus on his first win before worrying about championships and he should finally get that this year.

• JerseyF1, if Nico does what you say then he will end up being another Barichello. Great drivers don’t sit back and try to learn from the other guy. They always do everything they can to kick the other guys butt.
        Did Schumacher ever sit to learn from the more experienced drivers, did Senna,Hamilton or Alonso did such a thing? No. Because when you willingly start playing number 2 then that’s what you are gonna be for the rest of your career.

• sato113 said on 23rd December 2009, 13:19

yeah if I wa Nico I’d be pi**ed off!

• Icthyes said on 23rd December 2009, 15:12

He didn’t pursue McLaren because of having to fight Lewis on home turf.

Now he has to fight Schumacher!

Poor Nico!

• Still better than Hamilton. Hamilton’s ability is a certain fact for him. But Schumacher still has a question mark of possible decay because of age.
        When you are screwed ether way you might as well choose the one that has some hope of turning differently that what people expect.

• case montgomery said on 30th December 2009, 14:52

decay becouse of age, listen to yourself, I wonder how old you 22 24. dont be an idiot, just becouse I dont like mikey, or the way he would drive people off track every chance he got dosen’t mean much, this year will differ greatly. he will need the best car to win any races, lets not forget ross is the man. these new kids will not be in awe of mikey. they will just wax his but. not becouse he is 41. the game has changed mikey should stay home.

2. More like, poor bloody Heidfeld. I hope he gets a seat at Sauber after all this .

3. Stuart said on 23rd December 2009, 11:23

This I can’t wait to see. No doubting he’s very good, but how much of that was down to complete bias in the team towards him? If Barrichelo was on equal footing would he have won so much? He’s certainly one of the best, but not as good as his records suggest. How much has been down to dirty tactics? I wish him well and think he will be in a very good car, but I think he will simply be outclassed by a Hamilton now with much needed experience, Button finally in a hopefully good car, Alonso (again), and an improved Massa. Should be quite a season!

4. Antifia said on 23rd December 2009, 11:25

Now the only thing missing is a pardon for Briatori and Simmonds. Then we could have that perfect team:
    Commercial Director: Briatori
    Technical Director: Brawn
    Key Technical Personnel: Stepney, Coughlan and Simmonds
    Driver line-up: Schumi and Alonso, with Piquet Jr. as a reserve.
    Don’t worry, in case they step out of line, Jean Todt would be there to keep an eye on them.

• LOL!!!!!
      You might friend just created the most epic team ever!!
      All this guys will be so perfect together. And let’s not forget Bernie is always there. I also suggest they put Mosley as a team advisor now that his no longer in the FIA.

• José Baudaier said on 23rd December 2009, 21:25

LMAO. Schumi car would be purple and even get the “Double Zero” number in his car. It would be the Mean Machine 00.

5. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 23rd December 2009, 11:38

So where does this leave Rosberg and Heidfeld?

First of all, did Rosberg expect to be Schumacher’s team mate when he signed? If so, surely it lays to rest any suggestions that Rosberg didn’t go to McLaren because he didn’t want to be Hamilton’s team mate? If he’s happy to have a team mate with seven world titles surely he’s got nothing to fear from someone with one…

As for Heidfeld, where’s he going to go now? Will he be Kobayashi’s team mate at Sauber?

• Heidfeld for Sauber I’d say. They need experience and Nick has worked with them before. Big shame because he has beaten Robert twice and this could have been his chance at a win.
      As for Nico, I think he would have been happy just to progress from Williams at a team with a chance to win and score some serious points. If anyone would be uncomfortable it would be Lewis or Schuey seeing a ‘new’ challenger because they are used to getting the wins. Although I think they would beat Nico and be fine with his as teammate. I don’t think he did know about Schuey until the rumours kicked off because in an interview a week or so ago he seemed well like the legend was coming back and his chances of winning we getting slimmer. Poor Nico

• Unless someone on the inside comes out and says otherwise, I don’t think Rosberg had any idea that Schumacher would be joining him at Brawn/Mercedes when he signed.

From the rumours it seemed that Rosberg was going to Brawn/ Mercedes a bit before the end of the season while it still seemed certain Button would be his teammate.

Rosberg’s main worry now will be whether Schumacher will be the clear No.1 like he was at Ferrari, but hopefully both drivers will have equal status at Mercedes.

Hopefully Heidfeld will manage to get a drive for next season, unless Sauber need a pay driver I would be surprised if he doesn’t end up as Kobayashi’s teammate.

• I did say MS was going to Merc before Button even left…
      I did also mention Heidfeld should be grateful there are a heap of new cars next year because he wouldnt have a drive if they werent there.

If I am Sauber I’d say there’s the door…cya
      I wouldn’t the scruffy hairy diving miss daisy elf any where near my car.

• Maksutov said on 24th December 2009, 15:57

excellent comment Keith.

First of all, did Rosberg expect to be Schumacher’s team mate when he signed?

I’d say hell no! He must be feeling little on edge at the moment.

As for Heidfeld, where’s he going to go now?

Heidfeld must be ******. I feel sorry for him because I really think he has something more to show and deserves and opportunity of a good car. But Ion the other hand im not sorry Schumacher has joined Merc…

6. Is anyone suspicious that Schumi left Ferrari once Alonso came in….

• Patrickl said on 23rd December 2009, 13:04

I think it’s more telling that Di Montezemolo kept on harping about the need for a third car so they could let Schumacher race.

I think when Schumacher made the mental switch to take Massa’s place and race again, he got committed and now feels the need to go through with it.

• sato113 said on 23rd December 2009, 13:23

Schumi’s got an old score to settle with Alonso in 2010…

7. ALT-iD said on 23rd December 2009, 11:43

Well at least we have a couple of new/rookie drivers for 2010. Seems F1 likes to live in the past.

8. sajonaraman said on 23rd December 2009, 11:44

I hated the guy back when he was racing for Ferrari, and I’m going to hate him now. The thing is I also missed him like hell and I’m very, very glad he’s comming back.

• three4three said on 23rd December 2009, 12:33

I know exactly what you mean. Strange isn’t it?!

• It’s simple actually. Now the races will be more fun now because you got someone you really hate and when he loses you will be very happy about it.

• He’s long been the driver I’ve loved to hate! Love him or hate him, F1 just hasn’t been the same since her left. And while I have never been a Schuey fan, I am salivating at the thought of him going head to head with Hamilton. I am also salivating at the thought of him going head to head with Ferrari. How many more sleeps until Bahrain? This summer is going to be torture !

9. This is quite wonderful news.

My respect for Ross Brawn has gone up tremendously – here is a man not only brilliant at orchestrating on-track results and building a wonderful team, he’s managed to land two major sponsorship coups and a sensational return of one of the greatest drivers of all time. His pragmatism and strategic foresight are evident outside the race track too.

A retrospective on how the driver market jumps (Button jumping to McLaren etc.) enabled this result would be interesting.

• three4three said on 23rd December 2009, 12:38

Agreed about Ross… Honda must be wondering how he’s managed all this in just twelve months. I’m so chuffed for the Brawn team that Ross has turned 2009′s fairy tale into a solid stable future.

• sato113 said on 23rd December 2009, 13:24

agreed bout Ross too.

10. Halfabee said on 23rd December 2009, 11:51

What’s all this about an ‘all-German team’? The Brawn – sorry, Mercedes – car is engineered and the team is run from Brackley, and the engines come from Northampton: both were still in GB last time I checked. The Team Principal is also British. Nico’s Dad is Finnish, Michael lives in Switzerland….and Mercedes’ largest shareholder is from the Middle East. German in name only. McLaren, however, in genuinely British in all respects apart from the drivers having taken themselves overseas to live, and they defy the British sporting norm by winning.

• As of 2007 Mclaren was 40% owned by DaimlerChrysler, 30% by the Bahrainis, 15% by Ron Dennis and 15% by Mansour Ojjeh

• Calum M said on 23rd December 2009, 16:12

Yeah well to be honest you can hardly call McLaren setup a British dream team because it is all powered by a German engine.

Schumacher for the 2010 WDC!
      Mercedes Benz for the WCC!

• Adrian said on 23rd December 2009, 17:28

because it is all powered by a German engine

a German engine designed, engineered and built in England…by what used to be Ilmor

• By this logic, Renault and Red Bull are british teams, while Toyota was a German team. And this is not true.

• who cares…it’s all a global village. I am getting sick of all the ‘all British’ huff….

Theres a reason merc left mclaren, the main reason they were sick of having the merc brand dragged thru the mud….

11. Brackley Postal Workers to go on strike due to exponential increase in Love and Hate mail adressed one M.Schumacher C/O Mercedes GP Brackley

12. Awesome. Much maligned and reviled, Michael Schumacher’s career record, to date, speaks for itself. Alonso, Hamilton and Schumacher on track together – couldn’t get much better in my book.

Can’t wait for testing to begin. Hope and pray that Ferrari, McLaren and Mercedes all manage to produce the cars that these great racers deserve.

13. GeeMac said on 23rd December 2009, 12:05

That adds a whole new dimension to the 2010 season. 4 WDC’s, F1′s most successful driver comin back into the sport, can’t wait!

I’m pretty sure the British press are licking their lips at the prospect of the all German Mercedes team fighting against the all British McLaren team…

14. Snore, he’s had his run, if you’ve won 7 world championships what else to do have prove. It’s just one big massive ego trip.

15. Snore, he’s had his run, if you’ve won 7 world championships what else do you have prove. It’s just one big massive ego trip.