Official: Schumacher to make F1 return

2010 F1 season

Michael Schumacher will drive for the Mercedes F1 team in 2010

Michael Schumacher will drive for the Mercedes F1 team in 2010

Michael Schumacher will return to F1 with Mercedes Grand Prix, the team has announced.

The seven-times champion will form an all-German line-up with Nico Rosberg in 2010. Schumacher said he was “totally fired up for next year”.

He will be re-united with Ross Brawn, who guided Schumacher to all seven of his world championship victories at Benetton and Ferrari.

Speaking to the BBC Schumacher confirmed he was offered the deal in November and insisted that being able to work with Brawn was an important factor in his decision to return:

There was no other combination I would like to work for. Ross is a long-term friend and together we have both won races we shouldn’t have.
Michael Schumacher

In a statement on his official website Schumacher said:

Until recently, I was absolutely sure that I had ended my career as a race driver at Ferrari. But sometimes things change suddenly and unexpectedly. All of a sudden, the framework conditions aren’t the same anymore. At that point, you have to reconsider the decisions you’ve made. And, to tell the truth, the failed comeback attempt last summer gave me reason to reconsider my situation. I was surprised myself how fast and how strong I committed myself to this topic again. Apparently, my batteries recharged completely during the last three years. And when – thanks to Ross – the opportunity arose to drive for Mercedes GP, I realized that my old motivation was back, full of fresh energy and great force.
Michael Schumacher

Schumacher drove for Mercedes in the World Sportscar Championship from 1990-1991, during which time he got his F1 break with Jordan.

He now has the chance to add to his record tally of wins (91), pole positions (68), fastest laps (76) and, of course, his seven world championships.

Since failing to return to F1 this year as a substitute for Felipe Massa Schumacher has kept busy, racing karts in Las Vegas (against Nelson Piquet Jnr and Sebastien Buemi) and winning Massa’s annual karting challenge in Brazil.

What’s your reaction to Schumacher’s return? Are you glad he’s back – or do you wish he’d stayed in retirement? Leave a comment below.

Schumacher and Mercedes

Image (C) Ferrari spa

209 comments on Official: Schumacher to make F1 return

1. I guess this means the German GP will surely be sold out lol. Welcome back Michael…

2. three4three said on 23rd December 2009, 12:30

Wow, didn’t think it would happen but it has. Very good news for F1 and Mercedes GP and even though I never liked him very much, I’m happy and excited at the prospect of seeing Schumacher battle it out on the grid with the likes of Hamilton and Alonso next year. Such a shame Kimi’s not there….
    And poor poor Heidfeld, he best get that Sauber seat now.

2010 is going to be epic!

3. Mike "the bike" Schumacher said on 23rd December 2009, 12:33

Schumacher vs Senna

4. Dennis said on 23rd December 2009, 12:35

It’s great news for the sport and the fans for sure! It’s going to be interesting to see him back. The last 2 years he was an active driver Fernando Alonso was the better of the 2. With Hamilton and Vettel we have 2 more drivers who can match their speed, but not their consistency so far. Should be exciting!

I’m disappointed for Nico Rosberg though. Judging by the stories of Rubens Barrichello (He’s a winer, I know, but still) it’s almost certain we still won’t see how good Rosberg really is. He’s almost certainly going to be the second driver at that team. Sure, Schumey is experienced and Rosberg can probably learn a thing or 2, but he already drove F1 for 4 years now. To become Schumey’s little helper is kind of a waste of his potential, at least for another year (and he wasted 4 already!). One can only hope Ross Brawn will indeed treat them as complete equals, then we’ll see the difference.

If they do treat them as total equals we’re going to have an interesting season. Alonso in a Ferrari, Schumacher in a Mercedes, Hamilton in a McClaren, Vettel in a Red Bull. Their teammates are also potential WDC’s (except maybe Webber). Also, let’s not forget the arrival of the new sensational Nico Hülkenberg. It’s going to be very interesting to see how he does at Williams. That car wasn’t that bad the past year. However, with the superdrivers mentioned above, he’s going to be one of them but probably not next year. Let’s see how he does against Barrichello. I think Kubica should perhaps reconsider. Renault gave Alonso probably the worst car of the field last year. Let him go back to Sauber, where he can team up with yet another very talented youngster, Kamui Kobayashi! Also, I’d like to know where Quick Nick Heidfeld will end up.

5. Sebring Mike said on 23rd December 2009, 12:38

Couldn’t be more delighted by the return of one of the greatest F1 drivers of all time. Rejoining Champions – Button, Hamilton, Alonso and Champions in waiting – Vettel, Massa, Webber, Kubica – a dream grid. (Pity Kimi s not there too)He’s also spearheading the return of the legendary silver arrows in partnership with the man who has masterminded more championships than he has – Ross Brawn. Can’t wait for next season!

6. Mike "the bike" Schumacher said on 23rd December 2009, 12:38

Hopefully this time Schumi wont have so many controversial “accidents”.

7. zomtec said on 23rd December 2009, 12:53

I do agree, add Kimi and it would be perfect. Heidfeld in a Sauber-Ferrari wouldn´t be that bad, as it is the the 2010 BMW F1. Except from the 2009 modell their rides were very competitive.

• sato113 said on 23rd December 2009, 13:31

yeah I agree that the Sauber car should be competitive too. They have proved to be a team with a good eye for development (not necessarily good at big rule changes- 09)

8. DanThorn said on 23rd December 2009, 13:06

Poor Heidfeld, shafted again…!

Oh well, should be interesting to see whether he’s still got it. It would take a brave man to bet against him doing well!

9. I‘ve dicided to the Shanghai Prix in 2010
    I’m really excited to see him back again

10. STRFerrari4Ever said on 23rd December 2009, 13:10

YES!!! my favourite driver of all time is back and with my favourite Car Manufacturer! :D
    2010 will be out of this world Schumi,Alonso,Hamilton,Vettel,Massa,Button,Rosberg! :D I’m ready to see some action!!!

11. rampante said on 23rd December 2009, 13:31

After all this talk about Rosberg I would just like him to show a 10th of what he claims he has. I can’t think of a more overrated driver in the last 30 odd years.

12. F1 Outsider said on 23rd December 2009, 13:41

Great… now my Die-cast collection celebrating his “last race” and “last win” are worthless!!!

13. Dingle Dell said on 23rd December 2009, 13:44

Well… We’ll see another battle that has happened a little bit more than a decade ago…

Senna vs Schumacher

This time it is Senna nephew instead of the great Senna himself… would be interesting to watch

It would be nice if Prost’s son, Nicholas will join F1 grid soon.

Then the 3 great names will unite… oh, and Mansell’s either son, Greg or Leo…

Plus the others’ sons…

Anyway, pretty sad the Cheater returns to Formula One, but oh well, it might be some good news to put the ugly side of F1 during 2009 in the shadows…

Can’t wait for March 2010!

14. I didn’t like Schumacher last time either, but I want see him up against Hamilton. I don’t think there will be a lot of love lost between them as the season progresses.
    I think that Ross will give both drivers equal status, certainly until one driver takes a strong lead. Ross and Mercedes have a different work ethic to Ferrari!