Official: Schumacher to make F1 return

2010 F1 season

Michael Schumacher will drive for the Mercedes F1 team in 2010

Michael Schumacher will drive for the Mercedes F1 team in 2010

Michael Schumacher will return to F1 with Mercedes Grand Prix, the team has announced.

The seven-times champion will form an all-German line-up with Nico Rosberg in 2010. Schumacher said he was “totally fired up for next year”.

He will be re-united with Ross Brawn, who guided Schumacher to all seven of his world championship victories at Benetton and Ferrari.

Speaking to the BBC Schumacher confirmed he was offered the deal in November and insisted that being able to work with Brawn was an important factor in his decision to return:

There was no other combination I would like to work for. Ross is a long-term friend and together we have both won races we shouldn’t have.
Michael Schumacher

In a statement on his official website Schumacher said:

Until recently, I was absolutely sure that I had ended my career as a race driver at Ferrari. But sometimes things change suddenly and unexpectedly. All of a sudden, the framework conditions aren’t the same anymore. At that point, you have to reconsider the decisions you’ve made. And, to tell the truth, the failed comeback attempt last summer gave me reason to reconsider my situation. I was surprised myself how fast and how strong I committed myself to this topic again. Apparently, my batteries recharged completely during the last three years. And when – thanks to Ross – the opportunity arose to drive for Mercedes GP, I realized that my old motivation was back, full of fresh energy and great force.
Michael Schumacher

Schumacher drove for Mercedes in the World Sportscar Championship from 1990-1991, during which time he got his F1 break with Jordan.

He now has the chance to add to his record tally of wins (91), pole positions (68), fastest laps (76) and, of course, his seven world championships.

Since failing to return to F1 this year as a substitute for Felipe Massa Schumacher has kept busy, racing karts in Las Vegas (against Nelson Piquet Jnr and Sebastien Buemi) and winning Massa’s annual karting challenge in Brazil.

What’s your reaction to Schumacher’s return? Are you glad he’s back – or do you wish he’d stayed in retirement? Leave a comment below.

Schumacher and Mercedes

Image (C) Ferrari spa

209 comments on Official: Schumacher to make F1 return

1. Arun.India said on 23rd December 2009, 17:42

Can some one tell me how to change the symbol of my avatar ……..i need to change it from a Ferrari to a Mercedes symbol!!!!!!From a 13 year die hard Ferrari fan to a merc fan within 10 mins of hearing the news…

2. Wesley said on 23rd December 2009, 17:50

Well,I guess Heidfeld will lose his shot at ever having a proper car because Schumacher wants to come back and grab some more glory.I hope he is beaten badly by half the field.

3. This is great news, and it will be fantastic to see him in a competitive car up against Button and Hamilton. Roll on 2010!

4. Rosberg will wipe the floor with M.S.

• David A said on 23rd December 2009, 22:17

Please, show us your highly trained team of researchers to give some insight into that fact, will you?

• They’ll be back to enlighten you after the Xmas break. suffice it to say, he’s too old to handle a whole season. I reckon by Monaco he’ll quit.

• Maciek said on 27th December 2009, 5:08

Reckon this, reckon that, but nothing you reckon is based on anything other than the fact that it’s what you want to happen.

5. Pedel to the Vettel said on 23rd December 2009, 18:39

I still think both Schumi and Rosberg will be treated the same when it comes to the WDC title. But it’s just when everybody thinks the same: Schumi + Ross Brawn = 1 horse team for the title, but that was with Ferrari and i think Mercedes just want both drivers to do the best not just one.

so if the car does start to look good and your into betting choose Rosberg over Schumi because i think they will be both equal the whole way this coming season because mercedes are looking more to the future then just the 2010 season and Schumacher.

6. Amazing news, the man’s a legend & his motivation ain’t money or career advancement, just glory so should be good sport!

Also a cheat on occassion, we mustn’t forget.

Lewis must be gagging for a race a against the master, roll on 2010 indeed. A trip to Silverstone for a last peek is in order I think..

7. Wesley said on 23rd December 2009, 19:12

I will admit,the prospect of watching Schumacher go up against Alonso in a Ferrari and watching him go up against Hamilton in a Merc powered car is promising.I still hope he is beaten though.

8. F1Yankee said on 23rd December 2009, 19:23

2010 is going to be a real firecracker. when is the last time f1 had 8 cars and drivers in legitimate contention? that would be tough to match, even in the 60′s.

9. BNK Racing said on 23rd December 2009, 21:12

feels like michael jordan’s second come back out of retirement (if any of u are familiar with the nba). a few good races in a couple seasons but mostly average amongst the young guns. still exciting for the sport and fans nonetheless!! Although i would assume a 40yr old playing basketball would be more tiresome than a 40yr old racing a car.

10. I disagree with people saying this is a disaster for Nico. I actually think this is one of the best things that could happen to him. Under the tutelage of Schumi we could see Nico develop into the race driver he should be. Massa came along in leaps and bounds by having Schumi by his side, and I expect that Nico will do the same. I’m sure Schumi will be effectively mentoring Nico, so while Nico may be outperformed by Schumi, expect Nico to improve greatly and in a couple of years be a really fantastic driver because he had Schumi as a teammate and mentor.

• under the tutelage of schumi he is going to learn how to be amazing bossy, not listen to anyones advice, and cheat and get away with it.

would you like to be teamed up with somone like him!!

• Thats a personality thing. We haven’t seen Massa pull much (or any) of that. In fact we’ve seen Massa normally act with a high level of humility and sportsmanship.

11. simone said on 23rd December 2009, 23:48

Schumi vs Hamilton – woo hoo! I can see the pair of them along with Fernado dominating the podiums next year. As much as I would love to see Massa up there, i have a feeling that it’s going to be a 3 horse race.

Going to my first British GP this year :-)

12. i for one are very much not pleased he is back. the guy should have left the sport and gotten lost!

he thought he was above the rules of F1 and could basicaly get away with anything, his team would work entirly around him switching cars to make him seem better than he was. and then of course there was times when he would just blatently cheat, and just get a slap on the wrist where anyone else would have gotten banned.

i’m not saying the guy wasnt a great driver, the things he could do with the car in the wet was amazing. howeever he was a losey sportsman who wanted everything to go his way and would do anything (legal or not) to get it.

13. wasiF1 said on 24th December 2009, 1:25

Today is my birthday,I am planning to visit 2010 Malaysian GP,what better treat do you need for these?
    I am glad,& hope he provides us with some entertainment.
    There are many young driver’s growing in the paddock,but with the master returning it will be fun.

Schumacher was asked whether he’s tested in Mercedes GP simulator. Said “No, only tested in my own personal one” How cool is that!

14. he man is back in town.
    Make way for the big guy

15. pitt layne said on 24th December 2009, 4:04

“Your powers are weak old man. You should not have come back.” I think we’ve heard this before. I say bring it on. This will be the first time in a while we’ve seen multiple, capable drivers in seemingly capable cars. Hopefully the engineers will be just as capable. Finally, we’ll see the Schu without driveraids. He’ll have to use the Force.