2010 F1 testing dates confirmed

No F1 tests at Portimao this year

No F1 tests at Portimao this year

I’ve had confirmation through from one of the teams of the dates of this year’s test sessions. These are as follows:

February 1st – 3rd – Valencia (Ricardo Tormo), Spain
February 10th – 13th – Jerez, Spain
February 17th – 20th – Jerez, Spain
February 25th – 28th – Circuit de Catalunya, Spain

So far only Mercedes have confirmed their 2010 F1 car launch date – it will break cover at Valencia on the first day of February to coincide with the start of testing.

The teams only get 15,000km of testing (the same as last year) which they will spread across 15 days. It remains to be seen which teams and drivers will be present on which days.

Last year almost all the testing was done by race drivers, the main exception being Kamui Kobayashi who did several days for Toyota – which probably served him in good stead when he substituted for Timo Glock at the end of the year.

Expect the regular racers to do most of the work as once the season has begun there will be no opportunity for circuit testing except for teams bringing in new drivers.

All the group tests are scheduled to take place at Spanish tracks. The teams will not return to the Portimao circuit, where F1 testing began last year, perhaps fearing more of the heavy rain they encountered last time.

The new Motorland Aragon facility in Spain is also not being used – the teams will stick to the tried-and-tested venues of Valencia, Jerez and the Circuit de Catalunya.

Last year Ferrari missed one of the group tests to go to their local Mugello circuit in search of better weather (and perhaps more privacy). This could happen again – it certainly wouldn’t feel right not seeing the new Ferrari being put through its paces around the historic Scuderia test track.

If you’re planning to go watch one of the test sessions live, let us know in the comments.

The 2010 F1 testing dates have been added to the F1 Fanatic Google Calendar and the full 2010 F1 calendar will be added shortly too

51 comments on 2010 F1 testing dates confirmed

1. does anyone know how much it costs for the barcelona test as I would like to visit

Thanks

2. Claudio said on 5th January 2010, 11:03

I searched on Valencia circuit’s Website for the official schedule and some info about tickets, but there is nothing written there. Does anybody know whether people will be let in the circuit on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd of Feb?

• George King said on 5th January 2010, 17:16

Avertising at this circuit is poor. I have, however, been before and will return on 2 Fbruary. Yes, the gates are open and whilst I cannot remember the price, it was very reasonable. Hope this helps.
      George

• Claudio said on 5th January 2010, 17:53

Thx a lot! Which day would you suggest as the best one to go there? I’d go for the second one since I think that on the first day everyone will focus on the car to make sure that everything is ok and then they’ll start the real practice…

3. Where does the news about confirmed Mercedes launch date comes from? It looks I missed something.

4. James Bond said on 5th January 2010, 11:09

Such a shame we have no testing at Silverstone like the 90’s. The Spaniards are just too lucky! 15 days of testing & two of which are on circuits never used on the calender.

The last live test session I’ve been to was the 2003 testing at paul ricard.

5. djdaveyp said on 5th January 2010, 11:11

Why is nobody reporting about Flav Briatores verdict which is due today? At least I think it is…

6. Paperwings said on 5th January 2010, 11:20

Are there any plans for some of the smaller english teams to test at silverstone? Surely someone will be lured by the minimal costs.

7. Do we know if any of the teams are going to Bahrain? Wasnt it last year that Ferrari and Toyota went there instead of Spain for one of the sessions, but it was disrupted by sand storms?

8. Bullfrog said on 5th January 2010, 11:24

Shame they’re not using Portimao or Motorland. I was hoping a Portimao F1 test would be another step towards a Portuguese Grand Prix, along with the GP2 race there in June.

Or are these circuits irrelevant for F1 – no marina, and too many high speed corners and hills?

They should test on the new Silverstone track in May or June for health and safety reasons (more importantly, it’s close to me)

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 5th January 2010, 11:27

I hear that. I miss the old Silverstone tyre test :-(

• Pedro Andrade said on 5th January 2010, 11:52

I hope they go back to Portimão next year, I was hoping to attend it as I’ll probably have more free time then.

• Out of interest, why do all the tests take place in Spain? Is there a reason behind it?

• James_mc said on 5th January 2010, 12:45

I presume because it’s not going to be cold, with temperatures closer to the summer season. IIRC a few teams went to Dubai to test last season?

• varun said on 5th January 2010, 15:36

As I remember it I think it was Bahrain. I could be wrong too.

• James_mc said on 5th January 2010, 23:05

Ah yes it was Bahrain. Buemi lives in Bahrain doesn’t he? Or is that Dubai… I can’t remember he lives in the desert somewhere! hahaha

• I’d guess because it’s in Europe so close enough distance-wise for most of the teams factories, and (usually) consistently dry weather.

• Best winter weather in Europe, I guess.

In any case I would like to see Portimao (Algarve, Portugal) in Testing period.

• Ned Flanders said on 5th January 2010, 13:19

Boon- testing at Silverstone, Nurburgring or any other European circuit this winter would be more akin to ice skating I imagine

• Stealthman said on 5th January 2010, 13:28

Plus Valencia and Barcelona have a good variety of different corners, thus testing the cars’ all-round abilities…

9. Macca said on 5th January 2010, 12:33

Will there be any TV networks covering these testing sessions?

10. Kanyima said on 5th January 2010, 13:14

Good Question Macca. Also wanted to ask the same. I hope there will be, but since testing normally doesn’t attract huge numbers, it might not be the case, but there surely will be some Internet links giving you all you need.

11. Ned Flanders said on 5th January 2010, 13:27

Shame there’s no Portimao, I’m a huge fan of that track. It deserves a race, never mind a test:

12. I agree with you Ned Flanders!
    Portimão is a great track and it´s pitty it´s not in the F1 calendar for this season!

• It was almost. At least in October a Portuguese journal said that. But the arrogant Bernie Ecclestone said in Abu Dhabi:”Formula One in Portugal!? Don’t even think about that”

13. wasiF1 said on 5th January 2010, 14:05

Won’t they test in March?
    Silverstone is missing from the map.

• Bigbadderboom said on 5th January 2010, 14:19

Season kicks of early March I think they get to Bahrain on the 9-10th March, and no in-season, so no room in March for testing.

14. Kanyima said on 5th January 2010, 14:09

The cost of entry to testing sessipns at least in Cheste is normally between 5 and 10Euros. I went last year or the year before and it was great. always great weather but lots of red flags and silent periods. But there’re always a couple of cars who do long runs. Last year’s red flags were almost all the time caused by Kimi. Now looking back at the way last season panned out, the poor chap might have been wringing the dog’s neck! If Ferrari comes over (which the Spanish press has predicted), expect huge crowds and an ear-splitting roar every time Fernando does a lap.

15. David said on 5th January 2010, 14:28

I hope to go to Mugello, if Ferrari decides to test there. Normally if it is open to attendance you spend 5-10 euros. Otherwise you need to know about the neighbourhoods of the track, and stay hidden among the plant and trees to watch some cars pass.
    To be honest I don’t expect the weather to be that warm, if they decide to test there it should be for privacy reason.
    I don’t understand why they don’t use Paul Ricard. It is a track with a pultichoice lay-out, so that you can test the car in all the conditions. Weather ueses to be nice, also.