USF1 to test F1 car in America

USF1 will test in the shadow of Barber Motorsports Park's massive spider

USF1 will test in the shadow of Barber Motorsports Park's massive spider

USF1 has confirmed its 2010 F1 preparations will begin at Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama. Peter Windsor told the official F1 website:

We?ve got the dispensation from the FIA, which is fantastic, because we are not based in Europe. We are the only team that does have a test circuit outside Europe, so it is totally logical for us that we run the car the first time in the US at the beginning of February.

See below for more pictures and a map of the track.

The 17-turn circuit is around 400 miles from USF1′s base in Charlotte, North Carolina. It’s one of America’s newest tracks having opened in 2003.

The winding layout features rather more gradient than you would see on a typical modern F1 track. It is also quite a bit shorter than a typical F1 track at 3.7km (2.38 miles).

It also has one very unusual addition – a series of sculptures of giant animals including a spider and a dragonfly.

The lap record at the track is a 1’09.455 set by Will Power during an IRL test. IF USF1′s car can’t beat that we’ll know they’re in trouble.

USF1 will join the other F1 teams to test in Spain before the season begins at Bahrain, which suggests that although their Barber test dates have not been confirmed they must be quite early in February.

If you’re an F1 fan in America who’s planning to go and see the test please leave a comment below.

Barber Motorsports Park track pictures

The Barber Motorsports Park has been used for testing by the Indy Racing League, which will race there for the first time later this year. Here are some pictures from their test which give a good impression of what the track looks like:

Barber Motorsports Park track map

View Larger Map

Image (C) Indy Racing League

89 comments on USF1 to test F1 car in America

1 2 3
  1. Prisoner Monkeys said on 8th January 2010, 12:33

Jeebus, Keith, are you trying to give me a heart attack with the pictures of giant spiders?

• Prisoner Monkeys said on 8th January 2010, 12:34

Also, if anyone posts pictures of giant spiders from here on in, I will end you.

• ajokay said on 8th January 2010, 12:39

What about incredibly zoomed in photos of very small spiders?

Good to see another track get some F1 rubber laid on it. Looks like it’s got a fair bit of undulation too.

• Lol! So tempted to post spider pictures right now :P But I won’t be so mean. The legs do look a little… scary lol
        The track looks good and seems to receive a positive response on this site. If F1 ever does return to the US is it plausibe that it could host a race?

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 8th January 2010, 14:14

Of the road racing courses in America only the Indianapolis road circuit has the required level grade for safety/infrastructure to hold a Grand Prix. Looking at these pictures I can think of a few reasons why Barber might not be. It only seems to have low-level barriers, not the tall crash barriers you see in F1, especially around the pit lane. I suspect the gradient exceeds the maximums allowed for a new circuit too.

• Macca said on 8th January 2010, 15:28

I think the track looks great, but I agree, no more spiders please Keith. lol

• ajokay said on 8th January 2010, 15:41

Plus they’ll need to actually build a pitlane complex. So far it just seems to have a ‘parking lot’ in which the Indycar teams can pitch their garage gazebos.

• José Baudaier said on 8th January 2010, 22:02

I’m sure all of these changes can be made if it is to have a F1 race there.

• UniRacer said on 13th January 2010, 19:13

Having spent some memorable weekends at Barber, it makes perfect sense to test USf1 there. It was originally designed for motorcycle racing, but is also used for Grand Am and sports car clubs. And it features a world-class museum (and I’ve seen racing museums everywhere.) The track is extremely smooth, though not very wide, which would eliminate it from F1 consideration. But there ARE permanent pit facilites, ojkay. And I’m blown away by the spiderphobes ya’ll have across the Atlantic! (and I’m a lady, not afraid of spiders.) Maybe I can sneak in the USF1 test!

• Wesley said on 8th January 2010, 16:05

I finally get a F1 event near me and if I go I will have to endure giant spiders!…I HATE spiders!!

The track is very close to me (I live in Georgia) so,if I go I will be sure to try and get the scoop on the first running of our USF1 car.

2. CarlitosF1 said on 8th January 2010, 12:33

Lucky drivers those who can enjoy this circuit in an F1. I’ve played this circuit in rfactor and it’s absolutely gorgeous: the gradients, the flow… Soooo unlike modern F1 circuits!!

3. Damon said on 8th January 2010, 13:00

This turn looks marvelous!!

Simple yet interesting, Mr. Tilke!!

• WidowFactory said on 8th January 2010, 13:06

That looks like McLean’s corner on Donnington…

• Did you notice that the ant is eating the Stig!! 8O

• BNK Racing said on 8th January 2010, 15:09

Why is there a giant ant eating the Stig’s cousin? lol

• I see that another ant is holding a bottle of Coca-Cola, which is headquarered nearby in Atlanta. I presume Coke, and whoever is represented there by The Stig’s double, have some sort of sponsor deals with the track. It is quite unconventional for adverts at circuits- not exactly the usual fare from FOM.

Hmmm…I wonder if Bernie shows up at the test, can we get one of the ants to eat him as well? ;)

• manatcna said on 9th January 2010, 1:22

Fantastic pic

4. Woffin said on 8th January 2010, 13:08

I thought this was a fictional track for rFactor, I had no idea it was a real circuit! I absolutely adore this track and it is an absolute pleasure to drive and to look at, USF1 has just gained some major appreciation haha!

5. Scribe said on 8th January 2010, 13:16

It’s definately an awesome track, I wondr if it could be given an extra mile or two in the same vein and become the US’s long desired Grand Prix venue.

The big question for me about USF1 is weather they can attract the talent from the american motorsports industry to be competative. They’re clearly far to far away to attract European talents in numbers, almost like Toyota were. Can a team be competative in a motor heartland intrested in other things? I suppose the first indication, like Keith says is by how far they can break the tracks lap record.

• David said on 8th January 2010, 13:35

Add a mile and…a lot of that stuff that make it a FIA standard compliant track.
      I absolutely support that, looks very interesting.

• Icthyes said on 9th January 2010, 12:24

Ditto. Although what the FIA would want it to do to “upgrade” it might end up making it worse, sadly. That high gradient corner would have to go for a start.

6. I think this post needs an Arachnophobia Warning

7. Steve_P83 said on 8th January 2010, 13:30

Barber was designed as a motorcycle track, but it’s hosting it’s first IRL race in April (already got my tickets for that!) There is only one small grandstand and the rest is just open sitting on the hillsides. If USF1 plan to run on a Saturday or Sunday, then I’ll go for sure. I can’t take off work to go watch testing during the weekdays, but Barber is close enough to me that I can drive there for the weekend.

8. David said on 8th January 2010, 13:51

For me, that I’m not used to gradient tracks anymore, this image is gourgeous!!!

9. F1 Outsider said on 8th January 2010, 14:00

I’m about a 12 hour drive from there. Would be nice if I could go. Have to see if they’ll let people in to see.
    Would be great if it was on a weekend.

10. Hi,

I read that USF1 will not make it onto the grid. 3 News items lead to that conclusion.

1) They have not done any crash testing according to Auto Motor Sport (that puts them 2 month behind every other GP team!) Source: Auto Motor Sport – Ger

2) Apparently USF1 was the only team that voted against the banning of the selling of the rights to be an f1 Team. – F1Fanatics website

3) Still no confirmed driver line-up for 2010

I guess USF1 is not going to be there for the first race – Testing pictures would prove otherwise.

• 1. Auto Motor Sport is far, far from the most accurate or trustworthy source for F1 news. I would trust Planet F1 before I would trust them, wich says alot.

2. The selling of the rights vote has been deined by the team’s people numerous times.

3. So what if they don’t have their drivers confirmed yet- that is supposed to happen in the next two weeks, from what I hear close to the operation.

USF1 will be there. What really disappoints me is that they appear to be lining up to rookie pay drivers, neither of whom has a single F1 start to their name. I remember the big thing about them employing at least one American in the first year was they they wouldn’t have experience- no problem, but if they have two rookies with zero experience in the car, neither of whom is an American, what’s the point?

• Xanathos said on 8th January 2010, 16:36

Absolutely agree about Auto Motor und Sport. I still don’t get how a respected car magazine that sends experienced journalists to all the races can be so inaccurate. I’m occasionally following their website, here are some of their other “highlights”:
        -calling Piquet’s replacement “Sébastien Grosjean” in several articles
        -Confirming Button and Rosberg as Mercedes GP drivers on the day Mercedes GP was announced
        -recently running a big article about the new points system being illegal and the teams planning a protest – strange that the teams don’t seem to know about that.

Overall, Auto Motor und Sport is propably the least reliable site out there.

• Adam said on 9th January 2010, 5:37

Am I the only one sick of hearing people whine about the crash testing issue? A lot of that work can be done by computer simulation now. There really is no need to waste resources building parts just to destroy. They only need to do an actual physical crash test when they want the final car to pass inspection. Some people are so quick to argue that crash testing can’t be done via simulation, but I would be these same people wouldn’t think twice about getting into a commercial airliner. (You all do realize these are extensively crash testing in simulation during design now. They don’t build thousands of variations of airline parts take them all up in the air and drop them.) One would expect that people would realize that if the process can be effectively utilized on planes, things shot into space, etc., then its really not much at all to take that process and apply it to F1 cars that will for the most part be moving in only two dimensions.

11. Brakius said on 8th January 2010, 14:16

I love the track, only a few hours drive for me. So if I am able I’ll be there for the test.

As far as holding an F1 race, I think that’s very doubtful. There is absolutely nothing around that track as far as hospitality. I remember the teams complaing about Indianapolis not being good enough, so a lot had gone over to Chicago. This is also in the heart of NASCAR country. It will be interesting to see how well the IRL race goes.

12. The_Pope said on 8th January 2010, 14:18

What exactly is the “special dispensation” USF1 have been granted?

“We won’t make you fl to Jerez for pre-season testing” ??

I would assume teams had freedom to go where they wished. Is Barber Motorsports Park not FIA approved or sommat?

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 8th January 2010, 14:46

Interesting question. The sporting regulations just say:

No track testing is permitted at sites which are not currently approved for use by Formula 1 cars. In order to ensure that venue licence conditions are respected at all times during track testing, competitors are required to inform the FIA of their test schedule in order that an observer may be appointed if deemed necessary.

• The_Pope said on 8th January 2010, 17:08

I can only assume this is what the special dispensation is related to.

With the demise of Formula 1 at Indy (booo!) I imagine there are no FIA-certifed tracks to test on. Montreal is miles away, and presumably buried in snow at this time of year anyway.

Saves them having to fly to Europe for testing. Which again questions the wisdom of having a factory Stateside… but they’ve made their carbon fibre bed so they’ll have to sleep in it :)

• Indy is stil certified. They invited the FIA to look at the new MotoGP configuration and it was approved.

I think the reason USF1 didn’t try to test at Indy is obvious: it is freaking cold there this time of year! Hell, there may be ice and snow on the track. Alabama will be much warmer.

13. Good news for american fans hoping to get a preseason view of USF1. I was just hoping they would test a VIR . Closer to them and ME!

Barber is an awesome track , mid 1:30′s with a 125cc shifter kart.

14. BNK Racing said on 8th January 2010, 15:18

any bets on their fastest lap? how much faster would you expect it to be than an IRL car?

• sato113 said on 8th January 2010, 15:58

couple of seconds probs. I predict the F1 car should aim for 1 to 1’05 mins…

• Xanathos said on 8th January 2010, 16:57

I’m almost certain that they won’t break the lap record first time out (this is a new team after all). But they should go for it in the second test. If they don’t break it at all, they’ll be in trouble but we won’t know for sure until we see them on the same track as the other newcomers. In my opinion they’ll all start the year at least 3 seconds away from pole position and over one second away from the nearest established team, with the possible exception of STR. We shouldn’t expect miracles from them, they’ll be happy if they make it to the finish line in the first few races.

1 2 3