USF1 to test F1 car in America

USF1 will test in the shadow of Barber Motorsports Park's massive spider

USF1 will test in the shadow of Barber Motorsports Park's massive spider

USF1 has confirmed its 2010 F1 preparations will begin at Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama. Peter Windsor told the official F1 website:

We?ve got the dispensation from the FIA, which is fantastic, because we are not based in Europe. We are the only team that does have a test circuit outside Europe, so it is totally logical for us that we run the car the first time in the US at the beginning of February.

See below for more pictures and a map of the track.

The 17-turn circuit is around 400 miles from USF1’s base in Charlotte, North Carolina. It’s one of America’s newest tracks having opened in 2003.

The winding layout features rather more gradient than you would see on a typical modern F1 track. It is also quite a bit shorter than a typical F1 track at 3.7km (2.38 miles).

It also has one very unusual addition – a series of sculptures of giant animals including a spider and a dragonfly.

The lap record at the track is a 1’09.455 set by Will Power during an IRL test. IF USF1’s car can’t beat that we’ll know they’re in trouble.

USF1 will join the other F1 teams to test in Spain before the season begins at Bahrain, which suggests that although their Barber test dates have not been confirmed they must be quite early in February.

If you’re an F1 fan in America who’s planning to go and see the test please leave a comment below.

Barber Motorsports Park track pictures

The Barber Motorsports Park has been used for testing by the Indy Racing League, which will race there for the first time later this year. Here are some pictures from their test which give a good impression of what the track looks like:

Barber Motorsports Park track map

View Larger Map

Image (C) Indy Racing League

89 comments on USF1 to test F1 car in America

1. One big question? WHO WILL BE DRIVING THE CAR! Enough with the secrets Peter! ANNOUNCE YOUR DRIVERS!

• UniRacer said on 13th January 2010, 21:31

There are sculptures all over the property, some of them really neat. Personally, I like the bugs; something different and very photogenic on TV.

2. Oh and by he way, What the #%*# is with the spider?

3. I meant, by the way

4. I seem some footage of this track with indy cars going around. Looks a good track. In some respects i would like to see tracks like this in F1 with the scenery around it. Doesnt look to rich like Abu Dhabi. The cameras will focus more on the racing than the surroundings (Abu Dhabi hotel, monaco boats etc)

I wish there was a track to every teams home country. German teams will have Nurburgring. British teams will have silverston. Italian teams will have monza etc etc and american teams will have indianapolis or this track :)

• Cool idea, but just one hitch. Force India is just across the road from Silverstone, yet is registered in India, where there currently is no F1

• I meant to say no F1 circuit. So where do they test?

• they can be giving an option, if a team has there home country force india will have the right to choose where they want. Or they get to have the closest F1 registered track. Which is i dont know, my geography aint very good.

• tbh i think its a great idea. Teams dont have to fork out money to travel half way around the world to the only test track. Its a good way to cut costs. places like germany have 2 tracks. they can use 1 for testing and 1 for the race.

Also good for the fans who follow there national team. If every team has a home race. People will beable to go watch them. Force india for instance. If they can somehow find a track close to home. Im sure people from india who follow them will be willing to travel to watch them.

• you do realise that the German teams are actually based in………….. England. As is Force India. As is the Malaysian registered Lotus.
            So if they were to test in their ‘home’ country, they WOULD be travelling half way around the world to do so, which would be vastly more expensive than what they are doing now!
            And the German teams wouldn’t be able to test in Germany during winter given it is cold and snowed in. Nor would the English teams. Which means the only teams able to test would be the Italian teams.

Its not a great idea. Its a terrible idea.

5. F1Yankee said on 8th January 2010, 20:36

i don’t care for the giant bugs at all :/

6. Seamus said on 8th January 2010, 21:25

Absolutely my favorite American track to race in RACE07/GTR Evo. etc..Can’t imagine racing it in a car with as much downforce as an F1 car :O.

7. @mfDB

I live in Rome, GA, which is in northwest Georgia. I am originally from Atlanta though. I will be attending the test also.

I can’t wait to have F1 back in America, even if it is only for a test session. Hopefully the powers that be can get the US race back on the F1 calendar.

8. Pengo said on 8th January 2010, 23:59

Makes you wonder why they built the spiders in the first place.

9. A. Nonymous said on 9th January 2010, 0:28

Re: the spiders

I live in Birmingham (the one in Alabama) and I’m a regular at the track. George Barber has a wicked sense of humor, an appreciation for art, and more money than God. So there is bizarre art all over the place at the track. My favorite is a sculpture of a zombie climbing out of a culvert in a track-side retaining pond.

10. I and many from Atlanta will be there!

• HounslowBusGarage said on 9th January 2010, 20:24

Chris, I hope you take and post loads of photographs and give us a lap-by-lap report! Enjoy.

• Yea, I’ll be there too and will take my nice DSLR. I will attempt to post the pics or send them to Kieth!

11. Wesley said on 9th January 2010, 1:47

Well,it certainly looks like us southern boys and girls are interested in more than NASCAR!Six or seven people from Georgia….I am lovin’ this!I hope my job will not prevent me from going to this test.I would really like to meet you guys.

• I think we’re closer to 10 in GA alone, a few of my friends will go, but don’t post here…yet…

12. wow a lot of F1 fanatic users live near this track! good to see, strong motorsport culture in general i’m guessing? The track looks good (how ridiculous is that rule about gradient change?), i like the sculptures i think they look great and are original, but then i have no phobia :) Why the secrecy with their drivers? It’s no like they are preparing to surprise us all with Mika are they?

• his_majesty said on 9th January 2010, 22:41

The Hak is back!? If only, then he can beat up on m schumacher again.. the good old days. Well not too old.

13. Flying_Tiger said on 9th January 2010, 2:35

I would definitely like to attend the test session also.

Unfortunately, early indications from Birmingham are that the sessions will not be open to the public…

“If the test session does occur, it would be closed to the public, Hallman said”

• GCody said on 14th January 2010, 18:18

The track will likely be closed to the public but the museum will be open. It’s five stories overlooking the track. It’s a good vantage point.

14. arulworld said on 9th January 2010, 5:35

just testing….so no big deal.

15. Well, I’m in Chicago, and there is 100% no chance of a test here any time soon, but my dream is to see an F1 car test in person at Road America. I don’t know about a race, because the requirements of the F1 circus would destroy its soul. Maybe Autobahn CC, that doesn’t have a soul yet, and it looks like a good circuit.

16. Wesley said on 9th January 2010, 19:48

“Anyway, how awesome would it be for the test to be at Road Atlanta, even though there is no runoff at turn 12.”

Would be my dream come true!

17. wasiF1 said on 10th January 2010, 1:01

When will they return in Europe to do testing with the other teams?

18. justus said on 10th January 2010, 4:32

You guys, when is testing going to be done, I live in mobile and I would not mind taking the trip to see the car! Please give test date

19. Interesting…

20. Forzasenna said on 10th February 2010, 19:45

I just discovered your forum. I’m in Birmingham, just a few miles from the Barber track. I’m disapppointed to hear that USF1 testing will not be open to the public. The recent IRL testing was open and it is probably due to the huge fan response that they are coming in April for an official race. Frankly though the track, while great for viewing, is not a great track for cars. It’s too narrow and the straight is too short for the cars to streach their legs. Passing is difficult too. It’s beautiful though. George Barber did a great thing in building this and an even better thing in keeping it in private hands where he can maintain control over the quality of the facility.