Nelson Piquet Jnr seeks new crashing opportunities in NASCAR

Nelson Piquet Jnr is off to race in America like his dad did

Nelson Piquet Jnr is off to race in America like his dad did

Nelson Piquet Jnr claims he will race in one of the NASCAR championships this year.

They’re welcome to him.

A statement on Piquet’s website says:

NASCAR is hugely challenging and nobody has ever come in as an outsider before and gone on to win it – it will be the ultimate challenge.
Nelson Piquet Jnr

He doesn’t make clear whether he will be the elite Sprint cup or a lower level such as the Nationwide league, Trucks championship or even one of the smaller sanctioned series. A spokesperson said he would confirm which series he will race in within the next few weeks.

Piquet tested a NASCAR truck in October last year. Recent F1 drivers who moved to NASCAR, such as Juan Pablo Montoya, Jacques Villeneuve and Scott Speed, all ran in the lower leagues before contesting the Sprint cup.

I suspect that’s what Piquet plans to do before taking on the “ultimate challenge” of racing the likes of Jimmie Johnson, Jeff Gordon and Mark Martin in the Sprint cup.

All the F1 drivers who’ve turned their hands to NASCAR have found it a very different discipline to get to grips with. I can’t say how well Piquet will get on, but I do know I’m not sorry he isn’t staying in F1. What do you think?

Image (C) Renault/LAT

114 comments on Nelson Piquet Jnr seeks new crashing opportunities in NASCAR

1. Chaser Mty said on 12th January 2010, 18:27

He might have been following orders but you have to stick to your grounds and reject an order if it is against what your your heart and mind is set for.
    I met him on his last year as test driver for Renault and I saw something in him I didn’t like. I knew he was not ready for the F1 drive when he was given the chance. And I mean psicologically, was not mature enough and that made him do the things they did. I am sorry for him because was a potencially good driver for F1 but it came much too soon for him regardless all the years he spent as test driver.
    Best of luck for him, hope he matured enough after his mistake.

2. F1 Outsider said on 12th January 2010, 18:30

I think that his career was ruined because he wasn’t prepared for F1 and all its pressures. Much like Grosjean. Brazilian drivers that make their way across the pond always say that the main thing that helps them mature and build character is having to go to Europe, learn to live and race away from the families, often with little money to spare. Piquet never had to go through this, thus didn’t learn the value of what it takes to get to F1 for most people.

3. MacBromba said on 12th January 2010, 18:44

i fell sorry for him… he crash whitout knows whats he’s doing.

im wonder if (for example) a mecanic guy from ferrari gets really hurts on Massa’s pit stop misfortune….

its serious stuff here…
    i cant deny that i like him becouse is piquet’s son.

but he is really a stupid kid…just see his declarations… thats the reality.

4. Daniel said on 12th January 2010, 19:16

why even talk about him, hes a cheat! he should stand down from the sport all together!

5. Platine said on 12th January 2010, 20:01

One of the best headlines ever, love it.

Dirty dirty Piquet.

6. Daniel said on 12th January 2010, 21:06

Well, if a winner in F1 usually becomes a loser in NASCAR, why can’t the opposite be true?

7. Phil T said on 12th January 2010, 21:58

I dont particularly like either Piquet, but all Jr did was deliberately crash in to a wall, Schu deliberately crashed in to his opponents several times with little punishment.

8. Prisoner Monkeys said on 12th January 2010, 21:58

Good riddance.

9. JohnC said on 12th January 2010, 22:44

Seeyah!

10. F1NATIC said on 12th January 2010, 23:06

well, im sure he wont get criticized in nascar for such a “petty thing” as the fans will love him for giving them the big crash they want to see every race.

11. I’m happy for him. He is young man living under the shadow of his farther who out of desperation made a mistake. I understand this, but do not excuse it. He should have received some kind of official punishment, but as we all know this did not happen – for reasons beyond his control. He is tarnished forever, so in effect he is still being punished. Just look at the headline of this article and some of the comments for example.
    I hope he learns from all this, keeps his head down and mouth shut, and makes the most of any second chances that are afforded to him as life does not always give them. On a side not, NASCAR is harder than most people give it credit for. If it was sooo easy, JPM would have waltzed in straight away and won. He didn’t. Very good drivers like Francitti and Hornish Junior have struggled to adjust. It, like any other motosport series has nuances that must be understood and maximized if you want to achieve at the best. I am unconvinced he has the mental fortitude to make it, but this crash-gate nonsense could actually be the making of the man. Stranger things have happened. only time will tell for sure

12. Anthony said on 13th January 2010, 0:14

I’m pretty over the crash thing. The main point for me is that he wasn’t at all fast in F1 so I don’t care what he does. Good riddance

13. The Limit said on 13th January 2010, 0:52

It just goes to show the low morality of certain people doesn’t it? I know some on this site have compared the events of Singapore 2008 with those concerning drivers such as Schumacher and Senna, but it is important to remember this. In motorsports history, not just in F1, you would be hard pushed to find a driver commit such a professional foul as Piquet Jnr did!
    When I was a kid, I remember Senna taking out Prost to win the championship. The media massacred Aryton, but I understood why he did it, how he could do it. The same with Schumacher in 1994 and 1997, both in the heat of battle and with so much at stake. The purists will argue that Piquet Jnr did the same, but he did it for an altogether different reason. He did it to help his team, his team mate, and his faltering career. He crashed his car, at high speed, risking other people’s lives in order to further his career.
    Now, nearly a year on from this, he really sets himself as a precedent. When he realises that Flavio Briatore is going to drop him from Renault, he blackmails his former boss. For nearly a year, he had kept his crime a secret but only when his career was in jeapordy did he open his mouth. The rest is history!
    When Senna, strangely enough, admitted to the world in 1991 that his accident with Prost had been on purpose, it was hardly a surprise. Infact, it was a surprise that Senna even admitted it. When Schumacher parked his Ferrari at Rascasse during the 2006 Monaco Gp qualifying, it was obvious why he had done it. All the above mentioned acts are cheating, pure and simple.
    With Piquet Jnr however, he decided that he would use it to blackmail his team and muddy his image further.
    NASCAR prouds itself on the controversial. The fans enjoy the after race punchups between drivers almost asmuch as the crashes themselves. It is pure, primetime American soap opera but infront of a 200,000 live audience, plus the many millions watching on tv.

• Maksutov said on 13th January 2010, 4:50

“On that not, Piquet Jnr will be quite at home. However, if he thinks he can pull the same tricks there that he did in F1 he is seriously mistaken. His surname means nothing to the American racing public, he is not exactly the first punk kid with a big mouth to drive a stock car. So, in a year or two, I bet he’ll look back on 2008 and 2009 and regret just how badly his ego and mouth buried his career. He’ll miss F1, far far more than F1 will ever miss him.”

I agree with that!

14. I think he shouldn´t be allowed to race ANYWHERE! But at least I´m so so so sooo happy he is not in F1! I really hope no team forgets what he did, but apparently there were some of the new ones that were not that concerned…

15. Alpha said on 13th January 2010, 1:47

I am not so sure if I am sorry, but I would like to see him racing another F1 season and show us what he claimed he could of achieved. (somehow I was persuaded that he could of done better if he was treated fairly within the team) He confessed his crime and I am sure that many others have done so in the pass but did not have the courage to step up and point out the wrong doings. Now, I am not supporting Piquet, rather I am feeling sorry for his father. I would always like to see a son can continue the good works of his father.

It is always sad to see F1 drivers downgrade themself and gone to NASCAR which can only go around the circle.