Schumacher starts GP2 test (Pictures)

Michael Schumacher testing a GP2 car at Jerez

Michael Schumacher testing a GP2 car at Jerez

Michael Schumacher has begun his three-day test in a GP2 car as he prepares for his return to F1 later this year.

Schumacher, who turned 41 last week, is driving at the Jerez circuit in Spain between now and Thursday. Here’s the first pictures from his test.

Michael Schumacher GP2 test pictures

Michael Schumacher’s F1 comeback

Images (C) Malcolm Griffiths/GP2 Media

60 comments on Schumacher starts GP2 test (Pictures)

1. Paul F said on 12th January 2010, 10:19

Red helmet. Contraversial!

2. still got the old helmet style, i wonder if he will change it for the start of the season?

3. this has to be the most exciting pre season to F1 in a long time.

4. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 12th January 2010, 10:29

The GP2 series on Twitter have posted some more pictures including this one of the timing screen: http://twitpic.com/xrzmb

5. olly j said on 12th January 2010, 10:40

do we know if he is on the pace? what is a quick time for gp2??

6. Xanathos said on 12th January 2010, 11:02

Great, he keeps his red helmet!!!
    I don’t like drivers switching their helmet designs like their underpants (Hello S. Vettel, F. Alonso….), the helmet is something that identifies the driver and should onnly be changed in exceptional circumstances. Schumacher only changed it in 2000 to avoid confusion with Rubens’ helmet.
    But one-off designs, e.g. for home GPs, are OK in my opinion.

• Macca said on 12th January 2010, 11:15

I think what Nick Heidfeld Did for charity last year was ok aswell.

• Prisoner Monkeys said on 12th January 2010, 11:35

Great, he keeps his red helmet!!!

I don’t think he will in the actual season. Right now, he’s focused on getting back into his A-game. The design of his helmet is a secondary consideration.

• Bullfrog said on 12th January 2010, 11:35

Hope he keeps it, he’ll be easy to spot. Might help him too when the driver in front sees that in the mirrors, like Ayrton Senna or Hamilton’s yellow helmets.

• Adrian said on 12th January 2010, 11:43

Totally agree. I could just about get on board with Jenson’s Brawn-ified helmet lest year, but really hope he goes back to his old red-white-blue design now he’s with McLaren…

Actually my all time favourite drivers helmet is the one used by Graham and Damon Hill…I think purely because of its simplicity and the fact that father and son both used the same design. (Helped that they were British)

• Xanathos said on 12th January 2010, 12:23

Yeah. simple helmet designs are the best. I also liked DC’s helmet.
        I think I read somewhere that JB’s and RB’s “Brawn-ified” helmets were initially supposed to be one-offs for Melbourne, but for some reason they kept them for most of the season.

• Adrian said on 12th January 2010, 12:49

I think because they started winning!! Funny isn’t it how Jenson’s winning streak ending seemed to coincide with when he made a change to his helmet…

• Accidental Mick said on 12th January 2010, 13:39

Graham Hill’s helmet was based on the cap of the London Rowing Club for whom he rowed stroke.

• José Baudaier said on 12th January 2010, 21:37

I also agree with you, the helmet is part of the driver’s identity. It shouldn’t be changed every week.

And speaking of helmets, I once had a excel’s chart game where you had to name the owners of several f1 driver’s helmets. Don’t know if this game have already been around the site, but if I manage to find it again I’ll post it.

7. Gabor said on 12th January 2010, 11:21

a quick time in jerez for gp2 is about: 1:26:300

8. George said on 12th January 2010, 11:34

Man that is going to clash with the grey

• Chalky said on 12th January 2010, 12:10

As Keith states, this is exactly what he should keep. I think it looks great and will only assist him when he comes up on back markers.

Of course if you want your opponent to have problems seeing you then you can try a black car. Jackie Stewart complained to Emerson Fittipaldi that he could not see the JPS Lotus 72 in his mirrors as it was mainly all black.

9. ajokay said on 12th January 2010, 11:38

Bit of a grey day in southern Spain today then. At least it’s not snowing.

10. thanks for the images!

however, these are obviously radically lower quality pictures, than the ones this site used to represent.

have those recent copyright issues something to do with that?

11. David said on 12th January 2010, 12:21

I hope he keeps the red too. Consider as a legacy of Ferrari great epic deeds.

12. David said on 12th January 2010, 13:17

Why do GP2 cars look more like F1 cars than F1 cars?

13. MarkG said on 12th January 2010, 14:38

Maybe it’s just me, but whenever I see a picture of Schumi, his head doesn’t look like it is on straight.

Could this be the secret to why he is so fast?

14. wasiF1 said on 12th January 2010, 14:44

The new kid in the grid is having an early start in the 2010 season.

15. bluehammer said on 12th January 2010, 15:01

1:39.419. record is 1:38.2

16. well, the source of your lap record stays your secret i guess..
    tells me that a proper gp2-lap would be in the 1:25s.
    also, i don’t give much on a timing screen shot from some installation-lap ;D

17. Omegaz3ro said on 12th January 2010, 16:28

OMG, check out this video a Schumacher fan made: I’m still laughing.

“Hitler is working as a manager of the Ferrari Formula1 Team. See his reaction when he learns that Schumacher signed with Mercedes GP and he might have serious problem with that.”

18. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 12th January 2010, 16:59

Added a few more pictures – must’ve gotten wet there judging by this one: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2010/01/12/schumacher-starts-gp2-test-pictures/2010-gp-series-testing-9/

19. F1NATIC said on 12th January 2010, 18:15

commenting on something other than the helmet, why is it that GP2 ended with such a visually more friendly car ? I know its not only about how the car looks, but how fast it actually is but I hate the 09 looks which don’t seem to be streamlined for speed like before. I believe GP2 cars are also able to follow each other closely as well. I really hate the 09 aerodynamic rules.

• GP2 cars are purposly built so they can follow each other better. Also, having young drivers with strong engine and less aero grip means races are a lot of fun.

The worst thing is that the sprint race is before F1 race so F1 regularly looks dull compared to action-packed gp2 (reverse grids also help in this).

• Agreed,what strikes me about the photos is how bloody awful the F1 cars look compared to the beautiful racy looking GP2’s.

20. Is it just me or does Schumacher’s helmet looks dark orange rather than red..?
    I completely agree about having a recognizable helmet, whether he keeps a red one it’s up to him, but I hope he chooses something as bright so that he’s easily spotted..

Check out this close-up pic of his helmet from the GP2 Series twitter page: http://twitpic.com/xrwhk
    Comments seem to suggest that the Chinese writing on his helmet are names of his wife and daughter, it only shows one side so maybe the other side has the name of his son..

Interesting fact about JB’s helmet in regards to his performance.. One of the most images stuck in my head is the close-up of his car with his (water melon-like) helmet in the middle of the screen lol I hope he goes for something nicer this year.. I could imagine him in something with a Union Jack theme navy with red details..