Domenicali hints at further 2010 rules changes and return of KERS (Video)

Stefano Domenicali and his drivers at a campfire at Madonna di Campiglio

Stefano Domenicali and his drivers at a campfire at Madonna di Campiglio

F1 could have more compulsory pit stops and further changes to the points system in 2010, according to Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali.

He also said he wants to see KERS return in 2011 and gave a firm vote of confidence to his two drivers Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa.

See the video interview with Domenicali in full below.

Domenicali revealed the teams will have a meeting with the FIA to finalise the rules for 2010. He said:

We are working to improve the show. We are thinking to modify the points, maybe the number of pit stops, type of tyres and a lot of things are going on.

It is important that this has to be finalised by the end of the month because then we need to have one and a half months to make sure that all the people around Formula 1 – media, public, spectators – will understand the changes because this is fundamental for the credibility of our sport.
Stefano Domenicali

He hopes to see KERS return in 2011, albeit a cheaper version. He also said they want to reduce downforce on the cars further in 2011.

Domenicali believes Mercedes, Red Bull and McLaren will be the most competitive teams in 2010 – along with Ferrari.

Watch the video in full below (higher quality version coming soon):

As far as the changes regarding the rules are concerned Domenicali said that the F1 Commission will meet on 1 February, ahead of the foreseen agenda, to give the world of F1 the time to assimilate the novelties, which will be discussed and made official. There will be further modifications of how the points in the Championship will be assigned and possible changes regarding the show?s improvement on the agenda. Asked about the safety level on the track with cars filled with petrol Stefano replied: “I don?t think that more petrol on board will be dangerous, but it will be the different number of pit stops and the consequential congestion of the pit lane, which will make the difference.”

Image (C) Ferrari spa

92 comments on Domenicali hints at further 2010 rules changes and return of KERS (Video)

1 2 3
  1. DanThorn said on 13th January 2010, 12:02

Ugh, mandatory pit stops? Why? It pretty much stunts all of the positives of not having to refuel.

• I can only agree with that. Hope you’re looking at the forums FOTA !

• George said on 13th January 2010, 12:48

Surely the current bridgestone tires aren’t capable of doing a whole race anyway, so it’s a moot point?

• Macca said on 13th January 2010, 13:07

You still shouldn’t stop people from trying.

They say they want to improve the show, then why don’t they listen to us, the fan, for a change.

• They are apparently capable of a distance of 125 miles. Which by my calculations requires only one mandatory stop. But surely it’s not beyond the wit of Bridgestone to supply tyres that last a full race distance? They have done it before!

2. Ned Flanders said on 13th January 2010, 12:08

I hope we get KERS again soon. But there is no way that all teams could afford to run their own system, so perhaps FOTA should decide amongst themselves to all run KERS from the same manufacturer, mabye Mercedes or Ferrari, or someone independent like Cosworth.

This may seem a bit outlandish, but all the teams already run electronics made by one team (McLaren) don’t they, so why not KERS?

• Tiomkin said on 13th January 2010, 12:18

Agreed.

• George said on 13th January 2010, 12:43

Well the whole point of KERS in F1 was to aid it’s development, if there’s no competition there’s no incentive to develop and you may as well not have it at all.

• Ned Flanders said on 13th January 2010, 13:43

“The whole point of KERS in F1 was to aid it’s development”

Was it though? It was one of the considerations but I think the main reason for KERS was to improve the possiblility of overtaking, which it did, to an extent

Obviously it makes F1 look a bit more green which is good, but it was the car manufacturers which seemed to care about advancing KERS technology, and they’re practically all gone now so who cares?!

• KERS in road cars is already more advanced than the F1 systems.

• luigismen said on 13th January 2010, 20:35

That’s true, there were first KERS systems in road cars, not for a boost, instead to save fuel, which I think are pretty good

• Adrian said on 13th January 2010, 14:01

Agreed and that supplier should be Williams..!!

3. Icthyes said on 13th January 2010, 12:09

Noooo! What a stupid idea! We need no mandatory pit stops.

As for the points system, at least sort out the whole 7th place mess, or better yet junk it and make it 20 points for a win, and re-adjust it proportionally from there.

And if you wan KERS to come back next year, how about making it unlimited instead of simply cheaper? But to be honest, I’m tired of its novelty. I still think it’s a good idea, but the whole “push to pass/defend” was kind of detrimental to the racing (especially at the start, even though it benefited Hamilton for me). Make it automatic/supplementary to the engine and mandatory, then the development race will all be about who can make the best KERS with having to lug around the dead weight of the batteries (and maybe a bit more freedom in where the batteries can be placed?), and we’ll have a properly viable green technology that doesn’t interfere with the racing.

4. John H said on 13th January 2010, 12:13

“We are working to improve the show”

I don’t like this kind of chat… sends shivers down my spine!

• Ned Flanders said on 13th January 2010, 13:48

Yeah I know what you mean. It sort of reminds me of this Budweiser advert applied to F1:

(apparently you can’t make links anymore so just copy and paste it, or type Budweise football advert into youtube)

• Ned Flanders said on 13th January 2010, 13:50

…doesn’t matter, the link worked OK!

Expect to see pre race Monster Trucks and the F1 equivalant of ‘Added Time Multiball’ next season!

• ajokay said on 13th January 2010, 16:26

For 5 random laps every race, 1kg springs will be launched onto the track by the marshalls. Drivers have to sucessfully dodge the bouncing springs to avoid race-ending head injuries.

Probably unlikely, but I can see it going this far as FOTA and buddies slowly turn into a giant Vince McMahon, trying to ‘Improve ths show’.

5. Jonesracing82 said on 13th January 2010, 12:13

having compulsory pitstops will be a shocker of a move, it will kill off all the plus’s of having no re-fuelling!

• Robert McKay said on 13th January 2010, 12:24

We already have compulsory pitstops – the teams have to use both compound tyres. But I agree that we don’t need or want any more of them and that the 1 we already have should be scrapped.

I feel your worry John H, last-minute “show-improvers” does not sound like a good thing.

I don’t see the point in everyone having the same KERS, it doesn’t really make any sense. If it came back then let everyone do their own system but as Icthyes says make it unlimited, save as much as you can, use it as much as you can. That’s how it should have been in the first place.

6. kers was intresting I liked it, might turn up on road cars in the future too.

• DanThorn said on 13th January 2010, 12:27

According to Toyota, KERS was outdated and they already had more advanced systems on their road cars.

• LewisC said on 13th January 2010, 13:35

Agreed.
        Toyota, Honda, BMW, and Audi all have ‘energy recapture and use’ systems – from regenerative brakes up to full hybrid.
        Ferrari’s 458 Italia will have similar things too, I hear.

7. FOTA say they’re for the fans, but they appear to have little idea of what the fans actually want. I have seen it suggested that the points system should be changed to give points for pole and fastest lap, which is totally against the spirit of F1 – which is about being quick and consistent on race day. Literally the ONLY people I have seen who think points for fastest lap is a good idea are Kimi fans. Go figure.

As for compulsory pit stops, the FIA and FOTA seem to have jumped to the conclusion that banning refuelling will decrease overtaking (because the fastest car will qualify at the front and just stay there), so new changes need to be introduced to shuffle the order a bit. I happen to agree with them, but I’d at least be willing to give the refuelling ban a chance before attempting the knee-jerk reactions. Seeing cars going the whole race without stopping would be interesting, rather than watching them all be shoehorned into the same tyre strategy.

As for KERS, like all innovations it should be developed freely (within limits only imposed for safety reasons). The costs should be controlled but the technology should not.

8. I don’t know about any of you lot, but whenever anyone in F1 utters the words “the show” I instantly get an urge to put my head in my hands. And possibly weep a little.

• Exactly, it’s a sport.

Slightly a weird tangent, but I played Gran Turismo 3 on the playstation 2 today. I won a few races by staying out on the track with shot to pieces tyres, while my opponents pitted twice. Other times the roles were reversed and I chased down cars on bad tyres while I had fresh tyres. My point? Pit stops should not be mandatory.

Also, KERS should be freely developed. Only then will it gain road relevance.

• John H said on 13th January 2010, 12:51

Indeed. “improving the show” seems to be the new “for sure”

9. Robert McKay said on 13th January 2010, 12:37

“I have seen it suggested that the points system should be changed to give points for pole and fastest lap, which is totally against the spirit of F1 – which is about being quick and consistent on race day.”

Whether it’s right or wrong or not, I wouldn’t really say a point for fastest lap is against the spirit of F1, having been used back when the championship originally started in the 50′s.

• LewisC said on 13th January 2010, 13:38

But then you have smaller teams putting so little fuel in they can’t finish the race, or running so little downforce they have to changes tyres five times, just to pick up that fastest lap point because they’re not going to finish 10th anyway.

• Robert McKay said on 13th January 2010, 13:50

Like I say, not arguing if it’s the best or worst thing to do (I think there’s good points on both sides of the argument). Just making the case that if it’s been done before I find it hard to say that its against the “spirit”, whatever that exactly entails, of the sport.

Just a personal view, though.

10. KERS is allready more viable option with narrower front tyres and increased lenght of the car it isn’t so penalising any more to have extra weight at the back. At least that was what Patrick Head was saying last season.

I really don’t like this ”we will agree about the 2010 rules soon”, isn’t it really bad idea to go this far in car development without determing the rules? All bad news from mr. Deomenicalli, don’t get me even started on mandatory pit-stops, I really don’t see why is it so bad for some teams to try to pull a no-stoper. It is bad enough we have mandatory use of 2 tyre compounds, making 2 or 3 mandatory pit stops for artificial reasons is just silly. How is that suposed to improve the show? More chances for pit crews to make a mistake?

11. Formula 1 does itself no favours with the constant chopping and changing of the rules. Casual fans (who are very important to F1 as they make up a large proportion of the TV viewers) will only be confused and frustrated by the bizarre and arbitrary changes of the rules and regulation which happen every year. Changing the points system twice between seasons really is going too far, and points for pole and fastest lap is just silly. F1 shooting itself in the foot again.

12. Abolish the idea of having mandatory pitstops but give the teams a specified amount of tyre sets with 3 different compounds to be used by the teams as they please over the race weekend. Then each team can chose their optimal strategy according to car and driver preferences. This would i believe give the best possibility of different strategies during the races.

13. Bullfrog said on 13th January 2010, 13:16

…we are thinking to modify the points, maybe the number of pitstops…

Maybe it’s just wishful thinking, but he never said more stops. Could it be they’re thinking of getting rid of compulsory stops?

He’s dead on about the “credibility of our sport” – I hope they publicise the new rules properly and in good time, and avoid last year’s shambles with the “most wins” rule.

14. Bartholomew said on 13th January 2010, 13:17

What has to be done is make the cars SHORTER, not longer : they look like a train and this makes it more difficult to pass.
    Shorter cars would fit better in classic venues and would make for a more visible skill display by the drivers.

Without shorter cars, more classic tracks will be lost and more races will be held in new Tilkedomes out there.

15. Pointer said on 13th January 2010, 13:34

Hopefully the reference to “the number of pit stops” is to scrap the current tyre rules that make at least one madatory. That said, could/would Bridgestone have the time to develop tyre that could last a full race distance before the begining of this season?

As for the current KERS regulations providing “properly viable green technology” – I’m not so sure. I doubt very much that there will ever be a turbo-boost button on a road vechile, so until there is the ability to develop the powerplant as a whole, KERS will do as much for saving the planet as painting green stripes on your tyres. I know little of the details, but i believe that this is the direction they’ve taken Le Mans with some great results so far.

• Maksutov said on 13th January 2010, 14:43

“I doubt very much that there will ever be a turbo-boost button on a road vechile,”

Well in road cars, the turbo boost button will be converted into a standard acceleration feature, so the release of energy from kers will be used every time you accelerate in a controlled manner. so in effect it does provide significant advances to road cars..

1 2 3