Alonso expects no problems with Massa

Alonso believes Massa's Ferrari experience will help him

Alonso believes Massa's Ferrari experience will help him

Fernando Alonso has rebuffed claims there might be friction between him and his new Ferrari team mate in 2010.

Alonso said he thought Felipe Massa’s experience at Ferrari would be useful to himself as a newcomer:

Felipe is a great team mate for me. First of all I think he’s a Latin character like me, speaking Italian with me so the conversation is very fluid. And also I think Felipe has been at Ferrari the last four or five years and I think that when you’re joining a new team that your team mate is not also new in the team because you can get a bit lost with the technical people.
Fernando Alonso

A lot has been written already about whether Ferrari are taking a gamble by having two drivers with ‘Latin temperaments’ in their team. Whether or not that’s an accurate representation of their personalities, the potential for conflict is certainly there.

Massa has had a succession of strong team mates compared to which he’s usually done better than expected: Jacques Villeneuve, Michael Schumacher and Kimi R??ikk??nen for example.

Alonso, however, hasn’t had a team mate capable of keeping him honest since he was paired up with Lewis Hamilton three years ago – and we all know how that turned out.

Speaking at Ferrari’s media event at Madonna di Campiglio, Alonso also said he believes his fourth change of F1 team will be the last of his career:

Racing with Ferrari was my objective and I?ll certainly end my career with this fantastic team. I think that it?s impossible to find the same passion somewhere else.
Fernando Alonso

And he spoke about the planned changes for 2010 and the return of Michael Schumacher. See the video for the full interview.

Read more: Fernando Alonso makes first official appearance for Ferrari (Pictures & Video)

Image (C) Ferrari spa

62 comments on Alonso expects no problems with Massa

1 2 3
  1. Bartholomew said on 14th January 2010, 19:18

Alonso will get along OK with Massa,but I dont think he should end his career at Ferrari.
    There are other exciting teams. He should end his career at Mercedes.

2. Ned Flanders said on 14th January 2010, 19:28

Go what yourself?!?

Well they didn’t seem like the best of pals in that video. But, hey, Alonso’s clearly not the sort of guy who holds a grudge, so I’m sure they’ll be just fine at Ferrari. Even when Massa is beating him…

• Bewildered said on 14th January 2010, 21:06

‘Latin temperaments’ is another way of saying. I will hate you one day, and call you a pig/dog.. (or pig-dog).. but I’ll eat with your family tomorrow night and then we can play some music loudly and dance the evening away.

History will remember him most perhaps, for how he (Alonso) performs at Ferrari. We will see.. :)

• Icthyes said on 14th January 2010, 21:37

That was all I could think of when I saw the Alonso quote:

Certainly seems so!

• Wondering if poor Ron really made out what these guys were talking. sad that he had to get in between the 2.

3. It doesn’t really matter if they fall out. Massa’s contract is up so if there are any problems then simple show Felipe the door.
    What annoys me a littlwe about 07 is that it’ll al;ways be impossible to know the full story. Whatever actually did happen well it takes two to argue anyway but it was a fascinating year for Mclaren.

• Carl27 said on 15th January 2010, 14:39

I think Alonso was not allow to speak about McLaren for a couple of years after he finished with them, and probably now he can’t be bothered. Who knows… to me that’s ok; he is still not that naif to write his autobiography…

4. “Alonso expects no problems with Massa”, because he thinks he is the best driver in the world

5. Terry Fabulous said on 14th January 2010, 19:55

There will be no problems…..

Provided Fred is immediately and consistently faster then Phil and gets number one treatment.

Otherwise, STAND BACK FOR HANDBAGS AT DAWN!

6. CounterStrike said on 14th January 2010, 20:00

His eye still doesn’t look right to me :(

And teflonso’s a bag of nonsense.

• Jesus Christ!!!! TEFLONSO is full of B.S.

Alonso is a political animal and this is going to be an ugly blood bath!!!

I have been a tifosi for 40 years and seeing TEFLONSO in red makes me want to throw up…

7. Speaking about Schey return, he provide us one of the best quotes from pre season:

“…And clearly since Michael left the tracks there was the lack of this motivation from my part.”

8. Two ‘Latins’ in one team. What were they thinking?!

Mercede’s, RedBull’s, and McLaren’s garages will be like paradise in comparison.

• Dantton said on 14th January 2010, 21:08

I believe you are not obeying F1Fanatic comment policy, chap…

• djdaveyp said on 15th January 2010, 12:06

‘Latin’ is not swearing, nor an insult, nor a race, nor a sex. In this context it is used to describe a personality! How does that break any rules?

• “No swearing, insults, advertising or racial, sexual or similar discrimination allowed.”
        I believe you are not obeying F1Fanatic comment policy, chap…”

I was referring to the question asked by the interviewer in Domenicali’s recent interview at ‘Wroom’.

• “As for Alonso having problems with Massa, well, I don´t think so. Fernando is way better, his history as a driver confirms it, and Ferrari hired him to be the central part of the team, the benchmark.”

Ferrari hired him to be a ‘team player’, so he’d better do as he’s told!

9. I’m actually surprised how many seem a bit on the negative side with this pairing. I think it’s excellent and the best in years. Two Latins pushing each other the full season, a deep rivalry and passion but I seriously doubt it’ll spill over into anything more. Frankly I can’t wait

10. I think Alonso’s stint at Macca has thought him quite a bit. I actually think he will be a team player and support Ferrari for better and for worse. He comes across as being little more grounded these days.

11. Icthyes said on 14th January 2010, 21:39

I don’t expect a repeat of 2007, but sparks are going to fly here. I expect them at McLaren and Mercedes at some point too.

12. Wesley said on 14th January 2010, 22:56

Alonso expects no problems from Massa because he knows that about halfway through the year he will outperform Massa and receive the number one status at Ferrari.Building the team around Schumacher worked for them.Having Massa and Kimi on equal status did not.Fernando is the type that you can build a team around and that is the formula for Ferrari.That is why Fred is there.

13. The Limit said on 14th January 2010, 23:14

To be honest, I want to see sparks fly this year. Still not completely convinced by what Fernando claims, but only he knows how he feels about having Massa as his team mate. The key here is that Alonso has tasted the bad situation of having a team mate who is clearly well intergrated with the team and fast with it. Its too easy to forget that Alonso prior to 2007 had been the golden egg to Briatore’s goose. Nobody can seriously say that either Trulli or Fisichella stood a chance whilst at Renault. So there is truth in that.
    I agree with Fernando on Massa’s experience at Ferrari. He came within yards of winning the championship in 2008, and drove some great races that year. He has matured and showed great poise and dignity when Hamilton beat him in Brazil, when lesser mortals would have probably completely cracked up. Massa has proven his skills, but also has flaws too, not unlike Hamilton.
    The Silverstone race of 2008 highlighted these flaws for all to see, and event that saw Felipe spin his Ferrari as if it were a Las Vegas roulette wheel. I felt so sorry for the guy, he really struggled. Have I ever seen Alonso do that? No, and I don’t expect him too. I think, overall, Massa will cause Alonso problems on certain occasions, but on the whole, Fernando will beat him. The key here is, if Massa is beaten fair and square, he will help Fernando in the championship, as he did Kimi Raikkonen back in 2007. There is an honourable side to Massa that I like, not unlike Rubens Barrichello.
    Also, Ferrari is not McLaren. The two teams and poles apart in terms of attitude and style. Fernando has experience with the Italian way if life, and speaks fluent Italian, so I think he will fit in just fine. Just aslong as they are both given a chance, everything will be fine!

14. JUGNU said on 15th January 2010, 0:19

“Alonso expects no problems with Massa”
    because (beating)massa isn’t a problem for him.

I think the situation is going to be very similar to 2007. Now substitute Alonso in place of Kimi. Massa’s challenge would fade around middle of the season and last 3 to 4 races there would be no chance/sense and he only going to support Alonso. Webber vs Vettel situation is another example of what i think is most probably going to happen with Ferrari drivers. Alosno in place of Vettel.

• Wateva said on 15th January 2010, 7:03

What makes u think the situation is going to be like 2007?.. Massa proved he has the capability to perform better than expected in 2008 and he now surely is a better driver than 2007.

• JUGNU said on 15th January 2010, 9:44

this is “what i think is most probably going to happen with Ferrari drivers”

Massa is surely very good and improved a lot since 2007 but this is what i think/predict NOW, at this moment, is going to be the case. Maybe after the first 3 to 4 races situation would be very different but we all are allowed to predict. Isn’t it?

I am sure Massa would again try to prove me and many others wrong.

15. Pengo said on 15th January 2010, 1:10

Am I cynical for actually hoping there are problems a little (Also with Hamilton and Button)? F1 gets a boost of intrigue when rivalries bubble up to the surface. The argument between Sutil and Truli? The argument from Flanders video above? It makes things all the more spicy. Better than how things have been in the last couple of years with everyone nice and polite to each other. A 1 on 1 battle between two drivers who are known to hold contempt for each other is drama at it’s finest.

1 2 3