Alonso expects no problems with Massa

Alonso believes Massa's Ferrari experience will help him

Alonso believes Massa's Ferrari experience will help him

Fernando Alonso has rebuffed claims there might be friction between him and his new Ferrari team mate in 2010.

Alonso said he thought Felipe Massa’s experience at Ferrari would be useful to himself as a newcomer:

Felipe is a great team mate for me. First of all I think he’s a Latin character like me, speaking Italian with me so the conversation is very fluid. And also I think Felipe has been at Ferrari the last four or five years and I think that when you’re joining a new team that your team mate is not also new in the team because you can get a bit lost with the technical people.
Fernando Alonso

A lot has been written already about whether Ferrari are taking a gamble by having two drivers with ‘Latin temperaments’ in their team. Whether or not that’s an accurate representation of their personalities, the potential for conflict is certainly there.

Massa has had a succession of strong team mates compared to which he’s usually done better than expected: Jacques Villeneuve, Michael Schumacher and Kimi R??ikk??nen for example.

Alonso, however, hasn’t had a team mate capable of keeping him honest since he was paired up with Lewis Hamilton three years ago – and we all know how that turned out.

Speaking at Ferrari’s media event at Madonna di Campiglio, Alonso also said he believes his fourth change of F1 team will be the last of his career:

Racing with Ferrari was my objective and I?ll certainly end my career with this fantastic team. I think that it?s impossible to find the same passion somewhere else.
Fernando Alonso

And he spoke about the planned changes for 2010 and the return of Michael Schumacher. See the video for the full interview.

Read more: Fernando Alonso makes first official appearance for Ferrari (Pictures & Video)

Image (C) Ferrari spa

62 comments on Alonso expects no problems with Massa

1. I don’t think there will be problems – well no more than the usual tensions which flare up between team mates. The situation at Ferrari in 2010 is very different to the one at McLaren in 2007. Not to mention that both Nando & Flippy are three years older & wiser, and both have suffered fairly humbling experiences in that timeframe.

At any rate, much improved that Flippy is or rather was (we don’t know how he’ll fare after the accident), I still don’t think he will be able to hold a candle to Nando, so the age old question of who is numero uno will be somewhat moot.

• yup, got to agree with you there. People grow, change, learn, and i’m sure they have both had life lessons since then, and i think alonso is going to reveal how food he is again.

2. Tomcat173 said on 15th January 2010, 2:01

“I’ll certainly end my career with this fantastic team” – Fernando Alonso

Didnt Kimi say the same thing a few years ago? He might end up getting pushed if he doesnt outperform Felipe.

One things for sure though, it’ll be interesting to see who becomes the defacto number 1 in the team!

• sumedh said on 15th January 2010, 10:48

Well technically, Kimi *has* ended his career with Ferrari. He is not driving for any other team on the grid, is he?

3. Harvs said on 15th January 2010, 2:05

i dont think alonso expected any problems from hamilton at the begining of the season in 07.

as good as alonso is he cant predict what will happen on track and how that will affect his relationship with massa. who knows the biggest in team collapse may come from force india! no1 knows!

4. Ulfuls said on 15th January 2010, 2:07

It’s not about “Latin” temperaments, whatever that means. It’s about Alonso combining paranoia and insecurity with, shall we say, a healthy self-regard, and a need, whether he’s cracking walnuts or driving an F1 car, to be the centre of everyone’s attention. It is also about Massa never backing down from a fight when he sees one, and having become if anything a bit more touchy since his bang on the head.

And further, it’s about S. Domenicali being the nominal team principal without the force of personality to corral his two drivers, which will leave Three-Car Monty to try do it, leading to Domenicali sulking, and the atmosphere in the garage declining even further.

Even noted disciplinarian Ron Dennis couldn’t keep Alonso in line — with him and all the other combustibles packed into the garage, the result is going to be excitingly combustible. Not so exciting for the tifosi, though.

• Carl27 said on 15th January 2010, 17:47

I don’t think Alonso is as bad as you put it and Ron or Lewis that good. What do you think is going to happen between Lewis and Jenson? Are we all asuming that Hamilton is gonna walk over Button? Maybe there’ll be some “status” fight in the Mc garage. Jenson is the current Champion and has had a team behind him last year. Is he going to take the Mclaren adoration for Hammo that well?

5. wasiF1 said on 15th January 2010, 2:27

I still think Massa & Alonso is not a good recipe.

6. Macca said on 15th January 2010, 3:18

They wouldn’t have brought Alonso into the team and not told him where he stands. They will be fine next session.

7. USING ‘LATIN TEMPERAMENTS’ IN UR ARTICLE
    IS NOT A RACIAL DISCRIMINATION AT ALL?

EVERYWHERE ALONSO GOES, THERE SEEM TO BE PROBLEM?
    ..ACCORDING TO MOST OF UR WELL WRITTEN ARTICLE

• I´m not very good in english, but the guy who wrote the article put this sentence on it:

Whether or not that’s an accurate representation of their personalities or not, the potential for conflict is certainly there…

• I don’t think Keith’s use of the term ‘latin temperament’ is racist or discriminatory, since Alonso himself used the term in his interview. Keith is just paraphrasing the quote.

Besides, the definition of racism is the idea that one’s own race is superior and has the right to rule or dominate others. I don’t see how referring to what is effectively a personality trait can be considered racist.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 15th January 2010, 8:44

Alonso himself used the phrase. I’m not comfortable with it myself and as Becken points out I question it in the article.

Nor did I say that everywhere Alonso goes there is a problem. I pointed out there was a conflict the last time he had a competitive team mate.

• djdaveyp said on 15th January 2010, 12:27

So what about saying. Things will be very relaxed between them next year because they both have “meditteranean temperment”

Theres absolutely nothing to substantiate racism here.

8. if this is the case then AVATAR movie is also racist

9. skova265 said on 15th January 2010, 7:37

I honestly hope and think that Massa will be the faster of two.
    But also that Alonso will go crazy and repeat 2007 but Montezemelo sais that Alonso knows that he has to be a team player

10. The idea that Alonso and Massa are going to fall out is just wishful thinking. Both know how important it is to get Ferrari back at the top, and how damaging it will be to the team if they start fighting each other. Alonso’s problem at McLaren was that he was misled into thinking he was going to be the number one driver – at Ferrari he knows the score and the team will be stronger for that.

11. DanThorn said on 15th January 2010, 10:38

I don’t think there will be any problems at all. Ferrari hired Alonso because they want to return to their winning ways and see him as the best person to do it. They’re not going to alienate him the way McLaren did because it would be counter productive to all parties. While I think Massa is good enough to beat Alonso on a few occasions, Alonso is so consistant over a whole season I think he’ll end up on top.

12. sumedh said on 15th January 2010, 10:53

Ferrari handled Kimi and Massa very well. They should handle Massa and Alonso with composure as well.

But the job can get tricky towards the end of the season.

In 2007 and 2008, Felipe and Kimi respectively were “out-of-form” for a couple of races before the final 3-4 races. This made the job easier for Ferrari. I think Ferrari are hoping for similar things to happen.

13. Bullfrog said on 15th January 2010, 11:01

I hope the cars have less white on them than the clothes.

14. Daffid said on 15th January 2010, 11:16

Hmmm….

A native Spanish speaker – used to living in Britain and speaking English, talks to a native Portugese speaker – who spent time in teams where he spoke English and still speaks English to his British engineer… and they’re going to choose to converse in Italian – their 3rd language? One for the cameras there Fernando…

In fairness, I believe Italian was Alonso’s 2nd language, but I’m sure his English has overtaken it by now. Why do I suspect if we get any eavesdropping microphones they’ll be speaking in Spanglish?

15. djdaveyp said on 15th January 2010, 12:13

Felipe Massa has an opinion on everything and can’t keep his mouth shut.

Fernando Alonso acts like a spiteful child when things don’t go his way.

I think it is pretty safe to say there will be fireworks which ever way the performance goes!

They are both terrible at politics so it will all be in the public eye.

I make an early prediction that one of them will leave ferrari before the end of the season.