F1 Fanatic round-up: 14/1/2010

I’m at the Autosport International show in Birmingham today so I won’t be able to respond to comments as much as usual.

I hope to have some articles from the show heading your way soon though and of course I’ll be Tweeting from there as well.

Links

All living Formula One champions to appear at season opener in Bahrain (The Guardian)

On the Bahrain Grand Prix website they list the 12 living former world champions they currently “expect” to appear. That includes the four who will be on the grid: Michael Schumacher, Fernando Alonso, Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button.

It also includes Sir Jack Brabham, who at 84 is the oldest living world champion, but has had health problems in recent years. It also remains to be seen whether Kimi R??ikk??nen will show up following his split from F1, given his recent negative comments about the sport. He does not have a clashing World Rally Championship commitment.

Bernie Ecclestone could buy Saab from GM for $1 (Daily Telegraph)

Sounds like his kind of deal.

Q&A with Christian Horner (Autosport)

“There are some formidable opponents out there, McLaren and Ferrari will be pushing very hard to redress the balance from last year and the Brawn team emerging into Mercedes with the comeback of Michael Schumacher is going to be a very strong. We expect to be right in there and we’ve got self-confidence in our own ability but it all depends what you do not just in Bahrain but throughout the 19-race season.”

Brawn GP competition (F1 Badger)

Adam from F1 Badger asked me to give a plug for their Brawn GP merchandise competition.

Comment of the day

I wasn’t sure whether to elevate this from John H to ‘comment of the day status’, or send it in to Private Eye. He’s right though:

“Improving the show?? seems to be the new ??for sure??.
John H

From the forum

Magic T-shirts, tying a belt around your head… do you have a F1 superstition? I haven’t got any by the way: bring back number 13!

Happy birthday!

No F1 Fanatic birthdays today. If you want a birthday shout-out tell us when yours is by emailling me, using Twitter or adding to the list here.

On this day in F1

Giancarlo Fisichella turns 37 today so happy birthday to him.

19 comments on F1 Fanatic round-up: 14/1/2010

1. lol For sure.

2. luigismen said on 14th January 2010, 0:55

I agree on the number 13, they should bring it back

3. Bewildered said on 14th January 2010, 2:00

Saab for $1! I couldn’t even get finance on a saab at my local dealer last year. He’s a one aint it? :S

4. sato113 said on 14th January 2010, 2:15

fo’ sho

5. wasiF1 said on 14th January 2010, 2:31

Happy birthday Giancarlo Fisichella.
    I too think the number 13 should be back in F1.
    It’s a good thing that all the living champions will be their on 14th March,not sure about Kimi.

6. Next thing you know Bernie will be crashing Saab cars and making money on insurance claims.

7. Eastman said on 14th January 2010, 5:20

How was this story not in any of the Fanatic Roundups the last few days?

We’re finally free of seeing her six to nine times every GP!

8. Sush Meerkat said on 14th January 2010, 8:44

Will Piquet snr be there as well?

9. Icthyes said on 14th January 2010, 12:13

I agree, bring back #13, or better yet, bring back the semi-permanent constructors’ numbers so we can have Ferrari #27 again!

Surprised Keith hasn’t mentioned this one, unless he has and I’ve missed it, or he plans a whole article on it:

Ferrari out to beat Michael Schumacher and Mercedes

• DanThorn said on 14th January 2010, 12:15

If we do have 26 cars this year, and Ferrari come plum last then we will get a Ferrari #27…As a Ferrari fan, I’d almost want that to happen (so long as they dominate in 2011!)

• Ratboy said on 14th January 2010, 18:11

who knows Dan, maybe they will get thrown out of the constructors championship Mclaren-styley and have to use the highest numbers ;)

That would be a ironic twist!! especially if they clone a McLaren

10. “All living F1 champions” – I like the idea but I am curious how much it will cost the organisers…

11. Ratboy said on 14th January 2010, 20:24

It seems not so long ago that F1 was celebrating 50 years!!, those last ten years have flown!!