Fernando Alonso’s new helmet for 2010

Fernando Alonso in Ferrari's ice kart race (click to enlarge)

Fernando Alonso in Ferrari's ice kart race (click to enlarge)

Fernando Alonso sported what looks like an updated helmet design for 2010 at Ferrari’s media event today.

Here’s another angle on the design (taken while he gets a big hug from Fisichella):

Fernando Alonso gets a hug from Giancarlo Fisichella (click to enlarge)

Fernando Alonso gets a hug from Giancarlo Fisichella (click to enlarge)

I’m a bit old-fashioned – I like to see drivers sticking with the same design no matter who they drive for. But it seems almost every driver these days bring out a new design when they change teams and some seem to switch styles almost every race – like Sebastian Vettel last year.

Alonso’s new helmet didn’t bring him any luck, though: he crashed out of the race one lap from the end. More on that here: Massa second in Ferrari ice kart race as Alonso crashes

What do you think of Alonso’s new design? Here’s his 2009 skid lid for comparison:

Fernando Alonso's 2009 helmet design (Click to enlarge)

Fernando Alonso's 2009 helmet design (Click to enlarge)

Read more: Massa second in Ferrari ice kart race as Alonso crashes (Pictures and video)

Images (C) Ferrari spa, Ferrari spa, Renault/LAT

39 comments on Fernando Alonso’s new helmet for 2010

1. luigismen said on 15th January 2010, 23:45

It’s better than last year helmet

2. I wrote this in the forum:

I bet that was very trick to combine those colors in a unique peace.

Interesting is that Fernando preserved his own visual identity on his new helmet design — even with that dominant Ferrari´s red around him. In McLaren he let the identity of the team influence his helmet design and that change was really radical.

Just a guess, but maybe this shows where his heart still lives…

3. Generally, I’m not a fan of drivers changing their helmet designs either. In Alonso’s case, there was nothing wrong with the design used when he first entered Formula One – it was much better than recent efforts. That said, I prefer the 2010 edition to last year’s, as it combines the colours of Asturias and Spain nicely.

I suppose helmet designs aren’t particularly relevant now anyway, given the high cockpit sides.

4. Shagrathian said on 16th January 2010, 0:05

It’s pretty much like his 2008 season helmet but I don’t think it’ll look good in that Ferrari. The last year’s design would be a far better choice.

5. SonyJunkie said on 16th January 2010, 0:06

Just as long as he hasn’t got those lame ass Aces on the back like last year!!

6. Prisoner Monkeys said on 16th January 2010, 0:36

I like it. I like it because it’s not Ferrari-centric; while I liked the way Jenson Button updated his helmet to Brawn colours for 2009, I think it’s be retty boring if eveyone did that. But I like Alonso’s because it has an identity of its own; it’s not a 2009 helmet updated to new colours the way Fisichella’s was when he switched to Maranello

7. I agree that drivers should keep the same helmets. I love helmets that stand out from the car like Hamilton and Massa. Changing the helmet to match the car like Button/Kimi/Alonso is boring in my opinion.

This is a bit hypocritical but I like Seb changing his, the basic design stays the same but as the Red Bull design is quite boring it’s cool he has a different pattern on the top and the bottom each race.

• if you actually look, Alfonso has changed it so it is more different from the car. Last year’s was much more red based, this year’s much more blue based.

8. Macca said on 16th January 2010, 0:58

I like it much better than last years. The blue and yellow representing his home town miked with the red in a way that represents his national flag looks really great.

On a side note, I think Fisichella helemet looks awesome.

9. I like it.. It will really stand out in the Ferrari redness.. It reminds me of his Championship winning years

10. wasiF1 said on 16th January 2010, 1:59

Nothing we can do about the helmet design.The teams & sponsors wants their name & colour to appear on the helmet.

11. I like it. I always think of yellow & blue as Alonso’s ‘colours’.

12. This looks so much like a return to his 2006 helmet, which is similar to 2008 but that year’s colors were lighter. I love it. Are the two aces still on the back of his crown?

13. Icthyes said on 16th January 2010, 11:19

I think drivers change their helmets too much, but this is an improvement for me.

14. I usually liked the helmets that go with the color of the car. But, sometimes I do like the helmets that stand out to speak the driver’s identity and this looks like one. I like this color scheme, I will wait to see how it is gonna look when he drives his car.

15. Bartholomew said on 16th January 2010, 12:05

The helmet is very ugly and generic

16. I love helmet designs, I think they should all be personal to a driver so fans can identify them and it has that sentiment. Look at Senna and his famous yellow helmet. Noone cares about sponsors on helmets, they’re dull and tiny anyway so should just go. Sponsors are taking over everything so hurray to the likes of Massa and Hamilton who have a unique design and stick with it every year.
    As for Alonso I preferred his 09 one and but part of me is glad in a way as it won’t just match the car now. Glad it is back to his home colours too (so it is kind of like he’s going back to his own colours) and not just a totally new colour scheme and design. Not a work of art but it doesn’t need to be. It should be easy to tell him and Felipe apart too.

17. Good job, I like that it will contrast with the Ferrari. It’s often difficult to tell team mates apart these days as it seems the fashion to blend with the car’s body work. I think a driver’s personality should be represented by his lid, not the team he drives for.

Think of the great helmet designs of the past – you could always tell who was who. Now the only helmet liveries I can think of that I recognise instantly in the car is Massa (although the yellow stripes are sadly toned down now) and Kubica.

18. Ads21 said on 16th January 2010, 14:07

“The design features his usual blue and yellow – a nod to his home city Oviedo – mixed with Ferrari red and, of course, the team’s sponsors’ logos.”

Like others have said it’s a return to his traditional blue on top and bottom with a spainish flag around the sides. It does look very similar to the ’06 helmet as well which is great.

19. Maybe his return to his championship winning helmet livery is a sign of intent about his plans with Ferrari.

20. I make this the fourth consecutive year in which Alonso has changed his helmet design…

• Like I said, it’s not much different than 2008 or 2006, which was based on his helmets previous to that point. 2007 and 2009 were his only real departures. Alonso is no Heidfeld or Kimi, who changed helmets every season, usually drastically.

But I know that because a driver doesn’t act like Damon Hill, he’s a ******* around here.