Mercedes launch 2010 F1 car livery (Pictures and video)

Mercedes have revealed the colour scheme they will use on their return to F1 in 2010.

With their 2010 F1 car – to be called the W01 – not due to appear until February 1st the team used the car raced last year by Brawn for the unveiling at the Mercedes museum in Stuttgart.

Michael Schumacher will drive car number three and Nico Rosberg will have number four. Petronas are the team’s title sponsor for 2010.

Speaking at the launch Daimler chairman and Mercedes chief Dieter Zetsche said there was “a new impetus and optimism” at the team but added: “We are a new team, so please give us a little time” – a claim that doesn’t really wash coming from the reigning world champions!

Here’s Mercedes’ explanation for their new livery:

The new silver and green livery creates a true marriage between the heritage of the Silver Arrows and the team?s title partner Petronas. The legacy of the Silver Arrows goes back to the 1934 Eifel Race when, on the evening before the event, the white paint was sanded off the Mercedes W25 race car to fulfil weight regulations (750kg formula) and the silver colour of the aluminium surface of the car appeared. This season, with the return of the Silver Arrows, the MGP W01 will shine in silver combined with a flow of iridescent silver and green shading. On the nose and other parts of the car, traces of black carbon fibre are visible ?ǣ a reminder of the first Silver Arrow of 1934.

More on that here: Have Mercedes got their history wrong?

Quotes from the team:

Michael Schumacher:

Finally the 2010 Formula One season is firing up! I have to say that I am totally committed to this new challenge. This season feels like a re-start for me and I am so motivated. We have a very exciting combination at Mercedes. We have a World Champion team in every sense of the word and I cannot wait to get into the car for the first time in Valencia. I am convinced that Mercedes will be in a very good position to fight for the championships this season and I will definitely give it a go. Driving for Mercedes-Benz again is like the closing of a circle for me as I started my racing driver career with the three-pointed star on my helmet. This is another reason why I cannot wait for the competition to get underway.

Nico Rosberg:

You can really feel the successful motorsport history of Mercedes-Benz here at the Museum in Stuttgart and to be part of the new Silver Arrows team and that racing heritage makes me feel extremely proud and motivated. Since joining the team in November, I have spent a lot of time at the factory in Brackley, at Mercedes-Benz High Performance Engines in Brixworth and here in Stuttgart, which has given me the opportunity to settle in and get to know everyone. I have seen how hard the team is working on the new car and I really can?t wait for the opportunity to drive it for the first time in Valencia next week. I am looking forward to working with everyone at Mercedes and will give it my all to reward their fantastic efforts with good on-track results this season.

Ross Brawn, team principal:

It is a privilege to be here at the Mercedes-Benz Museum in Stuttgart today for the official presentation of the Mercedes Formula One Team. With your first look around the Museum, you realise the fantastic racing heritage of Mercedes-Benz and we hope to be able to contribute to those successes going forward. Our team have been working extremely hard throughout last year and over the winter on the development of the MGP W01 and everyone at the team is looking forward to the start of testing in Valencia next week. We have two excellent drivers in Nico and Michael, who will form one of the most exciting and one of the best partnerships on the grid, and with the support of Mercedes-Benz, Aabar, our new title partner Petronas and all of our team partners, everyone is looking forward to the 2010 Formula One season with anticipation.

Norbert Haug, vice-president Mercedes-Benz motor sport:

With today?s presentation of our new Mercedes PFormula One Team, a new and certainly the most important chapter of over 100 years of Mercedes-Benz motorsport history begins. The new Formula One season will offer challenges which will be bigger than ever before in over sixty years of the sport?s history. We look forward to the cooperation with our drivers Nico Rosberg who has enormous capabilities and perspectives, and with seven-time World Champion Michael Schumacher who is no less motivated than at the time when he began his professional motor racing career with Mercedes-Benz and then made his first step into such a successful Formula One career with our support. Today I also cordially welcome our new title partner Petronas as well as our co-investor Aabar/IPIC together with all of our team partners. I warmly welcome all our colleagues from last year?s World Championship team Brawn GP headed by Ross Brawn and Nick Fry to the Mercedes family. There are challenging tasks ahead of us and we will tackle them with power, consistency and full motivation.

Mercedes 2010 F1 car livery pictures

Mercedes launch videos

Livery unveiling

Michael Schumacher and Nico Rosberg talk about the team

Teaser

More from the Mercedes livery launch

103 comments on Mercedes launch 2010 F1 car livery (Pictures and video)

1 2 3 5
  1. Ninad said on 25th January 2010, 10:26

Is that white/silver, cant see with all that light on the car?? Plus pictures are too small.

2. sato113 said on 25th January 2010, 10:26

looks more like a british f3 car. big nose, or maybe its just an illusion.

3. Prisoner Monkeys said on 25th January 2010, 10:28

Very McLaren, circa 1997.

Will post more when better shots arise (and when site traffic drops).

4. Jezson said on 25th January 2010, 10:29

Looks a bit plain…

• Bewildered said on 25th January 2010, 23:05

that’s because you didn’t design it? :) Could become iconic though.

They certainly have stomped back in to the lead media wise compared to McLaren.

5. GeeMac said on 25th January 2010, 10:30

All this proves is that the BGP001 was/is a beautiful car, and that the White/Day-glo yellow livery ruined it!

6. Ned Flanders said on 25th January 2010, 10:35

I hope it’s grey not white…

It’s hard to tell, but it looks nice to me. I least they haven’t the car in turquoise as I feared. The black sections look pretty smart too.

Overall, I approve- though I need to see some proper pictures before I can say for certain

7. DanThorn said on 25th January 2010, 10:40

Nice, but I don’t like the black on the end of the nosecone, there’s too much.

• DanThorn said on 25th January 2010, 11:24

I rescind that, it looks fantastic. Very clean, simple, understated and just the right amount of nostalgia. Much nicer than the Brawn livery and potentially one of the best on the grid.

8. maciek said on 25th January 2010, 10:44

It’s just just basically a teaser anyway – no? We won’t see what the real car looks like until.. Friday, is it?

9. Adrian said on 25th January 2010, 10:49

I think I’m going to wait until we see it on track on this year’s car before I pass judgement. Plus the lighting in these shots isn’t great so it’s hard to exactly what shade of white/grey/silver it is…

10. Prisoner Monkeys said on 25th January 2010, 10:55

Okay, now that we’re getting some better shots – even if they are a little washed out by flashbulbs – I can give some more complete thoughts on the subject.

I really like it.

I think this is everything that a livery should be. It’s simple, and unassuming. It doesn’t try to be anything it isn’t, and it compleiments the lines of the car. To me, Formula 1 is becoming a bit too corporate; thse days, entire liveries are designed around a corporate sponsor. It’s unavoidable with the likes of Red Bull, but I think it’s become far too common a trend. Renault stands out as a clear example of this with their garish ING branding.

But this livery, this, I think, is something more. I can see a lot of Mercedes’ influences in it. You’ve got the white and the silver, which recall the glory days of pre-war Grand Prix racing. And the way they mix is remniscent of the West McLaren-Mercedes cars of the late 1990s. And then there’s the design around the nose, which is recalling the Brawn in my mind. Mercedes is not being disrespectful to their history. Quite the opposite; I’m reading this as being the collected sum of their heritage up until this point in time. Whether or not that is their intention is another matter entirely.

I guess the important part here is that Mercedes have not become a corporate billboard. They have retained a sense of self, and they’ve packaged it in a smart pacake that compliments the car. No colour is over-used, no sponsor logo out of place. When you look at the Renault cars, you can count twenty placements of the ING logo on the sidepods and engine cowling alone; if that F60 Alonso was driving with white wings is anything to go by, it will be the same deal with Santander.

In short, I think this is actually a really great design. I look forward to seeing the MGP W01 in full next week, and of course, on the track when racing.

• Ned Flanders said on 25th January 2010, 13:50

I agree, it seems like a very nice livery, but I do have a few minor gripes:

1. The driver overalls are VERY boring

2. The black splodge on the engine cover
      looks a bit out of place

3. The red Aabar logos spoil the mainly silver and black look of the livery

4. I never though I’d say this, but I wish there was more turquoise, it looks good on the car

• “To me, Formula 1 is becoming a bit too corporate; thse days, entire liveries are designed around a corporate sponsor.”

Sorry just to pick up on that, ‘thse days [sic]‘? The first ever fully liveried car was the Gold Leaf Lotus 49 in 1968.

Also, it’s ridiculous that you criticise corporate led liveries, without which we would not have had the iconic Marlboro McLarens, Rothmans Williams or JPS Lotus…to name but a few.

In terms of critique of the MGP W01, it’s ok, pretty plain but that’s what seems to come out of Brackley, and fairly sterile but that in itself is more perhaps a Mercedes (although the BMW was similar) thing. The real test is how striking it looks on a grid next to busy and coloured liveries…

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 25th January 2010, 21:59

Perhaps the livery will look better on the finished car?

• Prisoner Monkeys said on 28th January 2010, 2:40

Compare the Lotus Gold Leaf car to the ING Renaults an tell me what you see: Lotus only really had a handful of logos on the car, but Renault have dozens of ING decals. That’s what I mean when I say the sport is getting too corproate – the cars are more moving billboards than racing machines.

11. CounterStrike said on 25th January 2010, 11:02

Still looks white to me & I hate that green lining on the front wing.

12. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 25th January 2010, 11:11

Some pics of the W01 livery on Sutton: http://www.sutton-images.com/searchresult.asp?search=f10736

13. Bullfrog said on 25th January 2010, 11:15

That’s quite smart, and should look different enough from the McLaren on telly, as long as the front wing doesn’t get knocked off!

No Nick Heidfeld then – if the rumours over the weekend were true, I’d have expected to see him there.

14. David said on 25th January 2010, 11:17

It’s grey. It is true it looks like McLaren late 90′s livery.
    Let’s wait some more for real cars launch…

15. spawinte said on 25th January 2010, 11:22