Mercedes launch 2010 F1 car livery (Pictures and video)

Mercedes have revealed the colour scheme they will use on their return to F1 in 2010.

With their 2010 F1 car – to be called the W01 – not due to appear until February 1st the team used the car raced last year by Brawn for the unveiling at the Mercedes museum in Stuttgart.

Michael Schumacher will drive car number three and Nico Rosberg will have number four. Petronas are the team’s title sponsor for 2010.

Speaking at the launch Daimler chairman and Mercedes chief Dieter Zetsche said there was “a new impetus and optimism” at the team but added: “We are a new team, so please give us a little time” – a claim that doesn’t really wash coming from the reigning world champions!

Here’s Mercedes’ explanation for their new livery:

The new silver and green livery creates a true marriage between the heritage of the Silver Arrows and the team?s title partner Petronas. The legacy of the Silver Arrows goes back to the 1934 Eifel Race when, on the evening before the event, the white paint was sanded off the Mercedes W25 race car to fulfil weight regulations (750kg formula) and the silver colour of the aluminium surface of the car appeared. This season, with the return of the Silver Arrows, the MGP W01 will shine in silver combined with a flow of iridescent silver and green shading. On the nose and other parts of the car, traces of black carbon fibre are visible ?ǣ a reminder of the first Silver Arrow of 1934.

More on that here: Have Mercedes got their history wrong?

Quotes from the team:

Michael Schumacher:

Finally the 2010 Formula One season is firing up! I have to say that I am totally committed to this new challenge. This season feels like a re-start for me and I am so motivated. We have a very exciting combination at Mercedes. We have a World Champion team in every sense of the word and I cannot wait to get into the car for the first time in Valencia. I am convinced that Mercedes will be in a very good position to fight for the championships this season and I will definitely give it a go. Driving for Mercedes-Benz again is like the closing of a circle for me as I started my racing driver career with the three-pointed star on my helmet. This is another reason why I cannot wait for the competition to get underway.

Nico Rosberg:

You can really feel the successful motorsport history of Mercedes-Benz here at the Museum in Stuttgart and to be part of the new Silver Arrows team and that racing heritage makes me feel extremely proud and motivated. Since joining the team in November, I have spent a lot of time at the factory in Brackley, at Mercedes-Benz High Performance Engines in Brixworth and here in Stuttgart, which has given me the opportunity to settle in and get to know everyone. I have seen how hard the team is working on the new car and I really can?t wait for the opportunity to drive it for the first time in Valencia next week. I am looking forward to working with everyone at Mercedes and will give it my all to reward their fantastic efforts with good on-track results this season.

Ross Brawn, team principal:

It is a privilege to be here at the Mercedes-Benz Museum in Stuttgart today for the official presentation of the Mercedes Formula One Team. With your first look around the Museum, you realise the fantastic racing heritage of Mercedes-Benz and we hope to be able to contribute to those successes going forward. Our team have been working extremely hard throughout last year and over the winter on the development of the MGP W01 and everyone at the team is looking forward to the start of testing in Valencia next week. We have two excellent drivers in Nico and Michael, who will form one of the most exciting and one of the best partnerships on the grid, and with the support of Mercedes-Benz, Aabar, our new title partner Petronas and all of our team partners, everyone is looking forward to the 2010 Formula One season with anticipation.

Norbert Haug, vice-president Mercedes-Benz motor sport:

With today?s presentation of our new Mercedes PFormula One Team, a new and certainly the most important chapter of over 100 years of Mercedes-Benz motorsport history begins. The new Formula One season will offer challenges which will be bigger than ever before in over sixty years of the sport?s history. We look forward to the cooperation with our drivers Nico Rosberg who has enormous capabilities and perspectives, and with seven-time World Champion Michael Schumacher who is no less motivated than at the time when he began his professional motor racing career with Mercedes-Benz and then made his first step into such a successful Formula One career with our support. Today I also cordially welcome our new title partner Petronas as well as our co-investor Aabar/IPIC together with all of our team partners. I warmly welcome all our colleagues from last year?s World Championship team Brawn GP headed by Ross Brawn and Nick Fry to the Mercedes family. There are challenging tasks ahead of us and we will tackle them with power, consistency and full motivation.

Mercedes 2010 F1 car livery pictures

Mercedes launch videos

Livery unveiling

Michael Schumacher and Nico Rosberg talk about the team

Teaser

More from the Mercedes livery launch

103 comments on Mercedes launch 2010 F1 car livery (Pictures and video)

1. From the pictures I have seen I quite like it, I agree with others that it is reminiscent of the West McLaren Mercedes livery.

Does anyone know why they aren’t having a launch for the 2010 livery and car together? Is it because Mercedes wanted a launch at their museum but the car wouldn’t be ready until the first testing session?

2. Bartholomew said on 25th January 2010, 13:21

Looks good. I hope they keep the wheels in silver – black looks very old.
    I would have the star at the tip of the nose done in iridescent white or silver, or in chrome. I wish that in a future version, the Petronas turquoise would change into more of a metallic British racing green — that would look beautiful.

Future regulations should make cars SHORTER. These look like a train, and make passing dificult, aside from making historic tracks obsolete : the cars just dont fit !

• Bartholomew said on 25th January 2010, 18:48

The more I look at it, the more I like it. It looks fresh and new.
      If I were Mercedes, I would make a more bold use of their beautiful star logo, wich is GORGEOUS. Maybe on the sides behind the driver, a huge star in fluorescent white over a shadow of darker metallic grey ?
      And also the star on the front nose of the car should be done in a clear color. The whole point of the black handsprayed area on the nose is to highlight the star. Maybe if the star is white, the black handspraying could be medium gray instead.

In any case, I like it a lot
      Cheers

• Bartholomew said on 25th January 2010, 21:25

And the large Petronas name on the side could have a white outline around the black so it would be more visible.

3. Calum said on 25th January 2010, 13:30

Beautiful, love how the lines down the side of the “bonnet” hark back to brawns black and fluoro ones.

4. I quite like it. Finally a proper silver car. All the McLarens from 1997 onwards were either grey or chrome-coloured.

The black bit on the nose makes it look fat, though.

5. I’d say this livery looks like a bad photoshop job but I wouldn’t even give it that much credit.

Those black flashes looks like the spray tool on microsoft paint, especially the one on the side behind the drivers head. The turquoise as well looks like they’ve just run over the paint and thought ok that’ll do. What were they thinking?

• Hairs said on 25th January 2010, 20:22

That’s exactly what I thought. It looks like they let a kid in a hoodie loose with a few spray cans on Jenson’s old car. They deserve a lot of points for not going with acres of hideous turquoise, but especially where Mercedes has replaced Brawn along the engine cover, it just looks sloppy. I loved the Brawn cars, they were so easy to spot, striking, and clean and the yellow was just noticeable but not overwhelming. Of course they’ve got Fry’s failure to get sponsors to thank for the car’s clean uncluttered looks, but hey.

6. sumedh said on 25th January 2010, 13:54

The green makes me wanna puke!!!

The fluorescent on Brawn looked awesome. They should have used that instead of green

7. wasiF1 said on 25th January 2010, 14:04

Guys the 2010 season has just started.Is it me or really the car is looking heavy in front with all sorts of aero package.

Do you know Martin Whitmarsh McLaren Chief Executive Officer also attended the launch.

• Jarred said on 26th January 2010, 8:13

That is still the 2009 car so maybe its just the different paint job making it look like that, but it is the 2009 car NOT the 2010 car.

8. Untitled258 said on 25th January 2010, 14:22

Looks nice, but anyone who has been to the building will tell you that the architectural design, out shines that car by a long way.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 25th January 2010, 22:08

The Mercedes-Benz Museum in Stuttgart? I really want to go there.

• Untitled258 said on 26th January 2010, 16:06

Yeah, i went on an architectural study trip to germany last year and went there, its amazing. There’s a porsche museum not too far away either. I think i got too excited though, i ended up getting ill which i put down to how ridiculously excited i was in there.

9. Icthyes said on 25th January 2010, 14:28

Looks pretty cool. I was a bit worried when the mock-up was released a while back butthis is a pretty decent livery.

10. The black/carbon fiber effect on the nose and streaming back to the cockpit ruins the livery for me. It would be better, I think to have subtle blue/turquoise there instead mimicking the lines on the BGP001.

11. Salut Gilles said on 25th January 2010, 15:09

So they’re putting Petronas turqoise on the car and trying to pass it off as a tribute to Brawn’s fluoresecnt yellow?

Or are they just referring to the black stripes?

12. Derek said on 25th January 2010, 15:30

Mercedes must have just wanted to get the formalities out of the way by this launch. The new car the W01 will not necessarily look like this when we first see it at the 1st Feb testing session. They may take public opinion onboard and alter the colour scheme. But then I’m only interested in the car and drivers and what they can do with it!

13. iceshiel said on 25th January 2010, 15:34

I do not see any green or turqoise. Can anyone point out where to look?

14. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 25th January 2010, 15:45

The black spray paint with Mercedes on it looks strange. Otherwise it’s pretty coherent design. I’m glad they’ve not gone overboard on the turquoise.

• Bartholomew said on 25th January 2010, 21:28

The turquoise has been very smartly used in an understated way.
      I agree the black spray paint on the nose looks funny. It might have been better to have dark grey spray with a fluorescent white star.

15. CounterStrike said on 25th January 2010, 16:15

I really pity the Mercedes logo on the front wing. Its hardly visible in the black background.

The same usually happened during the 07 & 08 season with McLaren. That stupid ugly endplate connector used to completely obscure the merc logo on the nosecone.

Stupid colour scheme.