Schumacher in Mercedes SLS ad (video)

There must’ve been some joyous whooping in Mercedes’ marketing department when they found out the team was poaching Ferrari’s former star driver for 2010.

Moments before the team revealed the colours of their 2010 F1 car they ran this new television ad starring Michael Schumacher.

In a cheeky nod to Schumacher’s former employer Ferrari by showing him emerging from an SLS sports car in a shade of red with a hint of Maranello about it.

The wink at the end is a bit Anne Robinson, though.

Mercedes are going up against Ferrari on the road as well as the track – its SLS is their rival to Ferrari’s new 458.

Just as Mercedes have stuck to their historic silver arrows livery for 2010, the SLS harks back to the 300 SL with its retro looks and ‘gullwing’ doors. The 300 SL was introduced in 1954, when their team first raced in the F1 world championship.

Another of their rivals teams will be launching a competing product in the same market soon – the McLaren MP4-12C arrives next year.

Here’s some pictures of all three cars. I’m having a hard time picking a favourite – do you have one?

Mercedes SLS and Ferrari 458 pictures

Ferrari and Massa image (C) Ferrari spa

43 comments on Schumacher in Mercedes SLS ad (video)

1 2 3
  1. Chris said on 26th January 2010, 11:57

Chesse to max there!!!!

2. DanThorn said on 26th January 2010, 12:10

Has to be the 458, its beautiful and it’s a Ferrari. The SLS is nice and retro but a little bit too much like every other Mercedes, and the McLaren is just…boring.

3. ajokay said on 26th January 2010, 12:17

Good luck getting into or out of that Merc in a crowded car park!

I wonder if Ferrari have taken Michael’s FXX back as well?

4. Bartholomew said on 26th January 2010, 12:18

The SLS looks stunning.
    Next to it, the Spaghetti Special looks like crap.

McLaren should make some cars with a front mounted engine. A longer hood gives more room to design a beautiful car such as the recent Stirling Moss tribute by Mercedes.

5. Adrian said on 26th January 2010, 12:30

Can anyone imagine Kimi doing this ad?? No, me neither…

6. Mclaren looks like a Tesla which isn’t good in my opinion just boring.
    I’d have the Ferrari but none of them wins me over that much.

7. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 26th January 2010, 12:47

After (far too much) reflection. I’ve eliminated the SLS because I think the retro thing is getting a bit tired (New Beetle, New Mini, New 500…).

So I’m left to pick between the 458 and the MP4-12C. And I’m stuck.

• DanThorn said on 26th January 2010, 13:39

Put it this way – would you rather have dinner with Enzo Ferrari or Ron Dennis? ;)

• Hairs said on 26th January 2010, 19:51

The SLS just doesn’t work – the main body of the car is too ungainly, the angles of the radiator, headlights and the back are all wrong, and the Gullwings are the best thing about it. They’ve attempted to update a classic, but look like they’ve given up half way through because they couldn’t make it work.

The Ferrari is beautiful, but is a Ferrari, so people will assume you’re a man with no taste and probably have a prancing horse duvet cover.

The McLaren is just – boring. Will probably be excellent, but visually it’s utterly bland. Of the three, I’d take the Ferrari and make a point to only wear subdued Savile Row suits when driving it.

• José Baudaier said on 27th January 2010, 23:48

Well, I wouldn’t bother having a SLS. Anyhow, if I have the money to buy such a car, I’d get a Porsche.

8. to me the McLaren is like a good Vanilla Ice-cream, nice but I don’t want it everyday.

The SLS is a pretty from most angles ‘cept the back quarter, reminds me of a BMW 6 series.

The 458 is the best looking Ferrari in a long, long time so I think on looks I’d go for it, that said I wouldn’t say no to any of them if your buying Keith ;)

9. thanks for video! but its an old one with a new end? look at http://f1bloggen.se/?p=3948 where the first video came some week ago..

10. SLS is too retro to the point that I find it pretty ugly.
    The McLaren isn’t bad but you want more than “not bad” if spending that kind of money.
    The Ferrari does it for me, distinct, of it’s time, but not over the top.
    The 360 wasn’t edgy enough, I liked the 455 but looks wise the Gallardo has always edged it for me.

In the Gallardo and the 458 the Gallardo spider would take it but we’ve yet to seen the 458 convertible.

11. CounterStrike said on 26th January 2010, 14:44

I wonder what the thoughts of Luca di Montezemolo will be at this moment. 14 years of Ferrari heritage got flushed down the toilet sink :P

12. Yea, that Mercedes is bordering on ugly and is not exciting. The Ferrari is good looking, but not their best piece of work…

13. retro style merc is the one i would pick out the three. The others are ‘over the top in your face look at me whats the point of driving an inpratical machine like this on the roads with speedlimits’ supercars.

14. Icthyes said on 26th January 2010, 15:20

I think the rear of the Ferrari is ncest, but the front of the Mercedes is better. The McLaren would be a good compromise!

15. Microsoft has created a nice theme for Windows 7 using this Ferrari with some 6 Hi Res pictures of it in closeup. Would be a good desktop Theme for Ferrari Fans.

BTW there is Ducati, Inifiniti and Porsche Themes too in the list.

Coming back to the topic
    Thanks for the Pictures Keith. I did like all the three. The Stunning Macho looks of the Ferrari. The Elegant SLS and the Beautiful Mclaren. I am wondering if MClaren would run that shiny orange in their F1 Livery next year or so. Now that they do not have to insist on the Merc colors they should try going their own. It really looks nice.

Looks Apart how do these machines match head to head on the technical side aka power, speed and so forth ? Any statistics on that ?

1 2 3