2010 Ferrari F10 and 2009 Ferrari F60 side-by-side (Pictures)

The Ferrari F10 and F60 side-by-side

The Ferrari F10 and F60 side-by-side

The Ferrari F10, revealed today, gives us our first look at how the 2010 F1 cars compare to last year’s models.

Like their rival teams, Ferrari have to get to grips with rules banning refuelling and imposing smaller front wheel widths on them. Here are some side-by-side comparisons of their old and new cars.

2010 Ferrari F10 and 2009 Ferrari F60 (click to enlarge)

2010 Ferrari F10 and 2009 Ferrari F60 (click to enlarge)

2010 Ferrari F10 and 2009 Ferrari F60 (click to enlarge)

2010 Ferrari F10 and 2009 Ferrari F60 (click to enlarge)

Right side

2010 Ferrari F10 and 2009 Ferrari F60 (click to enlarge)

2010 Ferrari F10 and 2009 Ferrari F60 (click to enlarge)

Front

2010 Ferrari F10 and 2009 Ferrari F60 (click to enlarge)

2010 Ferrari F10 and 2009 Ferrari F60 (click to enlarge)

Ferrari F10 launch

Image (C) Ferrari spa

139 comments on 2010 Ferrari F10 and 2009 Ferrari F60 side-by-side (Pictures)

1. HounslowBusGarage said on 28th January 2010, 10:27

Question. I thought this year’s front tyres were going to be narrower. These ones look the same as last year’s . . .

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 28th January 2010, 10:34

Yeah I thought that too. Maybe Bridgestone haven’t dished them out yet.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 28th January 2010, 10:50

OK I just spoke to Bridgestone and yes, those are the 2010-spec tyres. Apparently it’s just hard to see the 25mm difference in the photographs.

• are the tyres now exactly the same as in ’97?

• Stubie said on 28th January 2010, 11:50

yeah I though the tyre spec would have made a larger visual difference. Not nearly as much as the difference in length and proportions forced by the new tanks.

will the wheelbase length affect things like chicane speeds, I wonder? or is that kind of thing compensated for easily in other design areas?

• Realistically 25mm is only the width of a thumb – given the substantial change to the chassis your unlikely to be able to pick up on that.

I doubt the extra length is solely the result of the fuel tank’s volume – there is a chance however it may have something to do with fuel tank weight distribution – 170kg of fuel is a lot to lump in any one place.

• scunnyman said on 28th January 2010, 14:16

they actually look wider to me.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 28th January 2010, 12:33

Actually what I should have said was Ferrari were supplied 2010 tyres by Bridgestone but that doesn’t necessarily mean that’s what’s fitted. I must remember to take a tape measure to the McLaren launch tomorrow…

2. Shadowfax said on 28th January 2010, 10:29

This looks like a fat RB5 – notice the push rod rather than pull rod suspension through. Nose, air intakes, bargeboards and rear wing. it even has some of the fancy aero devices on the front wing simliar to the Brazil version of the RB5

3. Guio Oblepias said on 28th January 2010, 10:35

Thanks for these photos, Keith! I’ve been trying to spot the differences manually by comparing pictures from last year’s launch. Needless to say, you’ve made the task much easier!

So here’s my take on the design… Nothing surprising really. A lot of the aero looks the same as it was on the last developments of the F60b. I guess they just did some fine-tuning in that department. We’ve all pretty much anticipated the higher nose and the RB5-esque bulges. The sidepods look more sculpted from the front, ala-BMW F1.09, and are quite fat. Pretty subtle changes on the whole… Not sure if it looks like six months’ work though. Hope that’ll be enough to keep them ahead of the pack!

Oh, and are the pictures to scale? If so, that would mean a MASSIVE increase increase in wheelbase.

I’m not digging the new livery though. The white wings make it look like one of their cars from the early noughties! quite a departure from the last few years. Missing the post Monaco ’07 paintjob more than ever!

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 28th January 2010, 10:51

To the best of my abilities. I’ve scaled them to make the diameter of the rear tyres match as closely as possible.

• LehonardEuler said on 28th January 2010, 13:05

I would have taken the width of the front wing, since it’s much bigger and would lead to less error, imho

• David said on 28th January 2010, 10:57

15cm longer, I believe. So, not a massive increase – just that the comparisons are not exactly to scale.

4. pawelf1 said on 28th January 2010, 10:38

wow so long wheelbase and that painting on rear wing seams to look bigger

• Jon Finn said on 29th January 2010, 5:14

the long wheelbase is what first caught my eye. It’s going to change the handling characteristics of the car just by itself. Presumably this is to incorporate the larger fuel tank. Does this mean we will be seeing a lot of longer wheelbase cars this year?

also – at first glance i thought the little vertical fins on the front wing endplate had gone but on closer inspection they have actually been extended upwards and then extra evolution of the plain horizontal ends can be seen with that ‘bump’

5. beautiful but i cant see it beating the red bulls and new mclaren. It looks like the rb5 and im sure newey has something up his sleeve!

6. Robby said on 28th January 2010, 10:41

here’s the RB-5 bulges on a 2009-spec ferrari. note the helmet of kimi. i believe this was taken in Valencia. inevitable that they would put it in this year’s car.

• yeah people need to remember that those photos are the beginning of 09, they realised how slow they were quickly and made lots of changes by the end of the year.

year on year there’s a large difference, but lots of those mods were already on the car at the end of 09.

7. LewisC said on 28th January 2010, 10:45

Looks DAMN good. They’ve put the big tank in and actually improved the lines. With that long nose and much longer wheelbase though – I suspect it will be better on the faster tracks and a bit compromised on the tight twisty ones.

8. Vetsas said on 28th January 2010, 10:46

The nose camera positions are now on the uprights rather than the nose cone. Not sure how much, if any, flexibility the teams have over their location.

Curious as to what the vertical bit is with what looks like a bulbous part on the centerline below the nose.

• Adrian said on 28th January 2010, 12:26

I believe that is a ride height sensor. I don’t think that will be there for the races but a lot of teams use them during testing.

9. Jasper said on 28th January 2010, 10:49

I don’t think the F10 has the narrower slicks on the front, just the ’09 spec ones. If you look closely the outside of the front tyres arn’t level with the rear ones.

10. there is a damper underneath the nose cone… or so it seems… is that allowed?

• Robbert said on 28th January 2010, 11:34

I think they just add more weight to the front of the car (nose) and by utilising this version they can keep the centre of gravity much lower then if they would add it inside the nose cone.

• Inc0mmunicado said on 29th January 2010, 4:39

The thing sticking up from the tea tray? I think thats to stiffen it because its longer. Werent flexing tea trays the first scandals in 07?

11. best pictures so far – nice work Keith!

12. Megatetsu said on 28th January 2010, 10:59

my first impression was a little like this

13. The clear differences from F60 rear wing,side pods,length due to inclusion of larger fuel tank,cockpit is a bit smaller,front wing,nose cone and F10 is wider than F60.
    Although looks better than F60.

14. The front looks more like force india’a…
    How do we know if its a push rod or a pull rod suspension ?

15. Jay Menon said on 28th January 2010, 11:18

Looks like a real winner to me…hahaha…man I’m starting to sound like a Ferrari fan!!

The car looks great, hopefully it will go as well taking Fernando to the WDC!