F1 Fanatic round-up: 28/1/2010

The launch season gets started properly later today as Ferrari unveil the first of this year’s new F1 cars. There’ll be a separate post up in a few hours to cover all the goings-on from the launch including the live coverage on Ferrari’s website.

Here’s today’s round-up:

Links

Schumacher could race beyond 2012 (Autosport)

Michael Schumacher: “Mercedes believes in me and is giving me the chance for three years to have success. But it does not mean it has to end after three years.”

In deatil: Electrical wiring system (US F1)

Say what you like about US F1′s choice of drivers, but I like these videos they keep putting out.

Comment of the day

I agree with HounslowBusGarage’s take on the new-look Silverstone circuit:

This is the premier racing circuit in Britain making a new viewing spectacular for its visitors and a new, challenging high-spped-curve-straight-bends-straight sequence for the competitors.

Whats not to like?
HounslowBusGarage

Site updates

Apologies to anyone who was inconvenienced by the server move yesterday, hopefully everyone can now access the site. I am working on some of the other problems including the forum not being available and some characters being corrupt. Hope to make some progress on that today.

Happy birthday!

No F1 Fanatic birthdays today. If you want a birthday shout-out tell us when yours is by emailling me, using Twitter or adding to the list here.

On this day in F1

Takuma Sato turns 33 today. The Japanese driver missed out on an F1 return with Lotus this year. He started 90 F1 races for three different teams, but always with a Honda engine.

20 comments on F1 Fanatic round-up: 28/1/2010

1. Giuliano Vilela said on 28th January 2010, 1:46

Keith, is it confirmed that Ferrari won’t only show the ’09 car with the new painting?

• Just because Mercedes showed an old car with a new livery doesn’t mean everybody will suddenly start doing that. I’d be so disappointed if that happened, but I’m sure it won’t.

• Bewildered said on 28th January 2010, 6:10

It’s a Merc Marketing stunt. It a clever bid to get more press coverage than the competition. Why not?

• David said on 28th January 2010, 7:37

Didn’t hear anything similar.
      I’m pretty sure we are going to see the brand new car.

2. Icthyes said on 28th January 2010, 3:14

I’d rather have Sato than Trulli, or is the plan to get him to the front and hold everyone up to let Kovalainen through and into victory?

• moose said on 28th January 2010, 3:39

trulli is one of the best driver for qualifying round. by that, lotus will know the real ability of their car. well, he is slow on the race day tho.

3. “Therell be a separate post up in a few hours to cover all the goings-on from the launch including the live coverage on Ferraris website.”

This could have been a good excuse to organize a live-blog!

4. I saw that Pitpass, among others, still refer to the new Ferrari as the ’281′, which, on several forums and other sites, has already been refuted as being the chassis number, not the type designation.

5. Simon Hull said on 28th January 2010, 9:27

Good job Ferrari don’t make computers or run a tv channel. This is rubbish. Has it started? Is it definately going ahead?

6. Ned Flanders said on 28th January 2010, 11:41

Actually, yesterday I could use the Forum but not the main site for about a day and a half, till now. Now the site is working fine but I can’t get on the forum!

7. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 28th January 2010, 13:09

Lots on the Ferrari launch today but make sure you don’t miss this story on Autosport – Anthony Hamilton to set up a young drivers’ testing academy using 2009-specification F1 cars:

8. With all the excitement of launch season upon us – Does anyone have any idea what livery the mighty Lotus will be bringing back? I just hope those Malaysians present something that Colin would be proud of!

9. HounslowBusGarage said on 28th January 2010, 16:11

Thanks for selecting me for Comment of the Day, Keith.
    Oh, the shame of being unable to spell!

10. ajokay said on 28th January 2010, 16:20