Compare the new McLaren MP4-25 with last year’s car (Pictures)

2010 McLaren MP4-25 and 2009 McLaren MP4-24

McLaren got their 2009 car badly wrong and spent much of the year catching up to their rivals.

They needs the MP4-25 to be on the pace from the first race – but is it a big enough step forward over its predecessor? Here’s how the two cars compare.

2010 McLaren MP4-25 and 2009 McLaren MP4-24 (click to enlarge)

2010 McLaren MP4-25 and 2009 McLaren MP4-24 (click to enlarge)

Image scaled so rear wheel sizes match.

Right

2010 McLaren MP4-25 and 2009 McLaren MP4-24 (click to enlarge)

2010 McLaren MP4-25 and 2009 McLaren MP4-24 (click to enlarge)

Image scaled so rear wheel sizes match.

Front

2010 McLaren MP4-25 and 2009 McLaren MP4-24 (click to enlarge)

2010 McLaren MP4-25 and 2009 McLaren MP4-24 (click to enlarge)

Image scaled so front wing sizes match.

Images (C) www.mclaren.com

48 comments on Compare the new McLaren MP4-25 with last year’s car (Pictures)

1 2 3
  1. GeeMac said on 29th January 2010, 12:47

You provide an awesome service Keith, thanks!

2. Is the MP4-24 picture from the start of end of 2009?

• That looks like the launch configuration to me, plus it’s a promo shot and they only tend to do those on launch.

3. three4three said on 29th January 2010, 12:56

Wow, impressed you’ve got this up so quick Keith!
    At first glance the MP4-25 looks considerably bigger than the 24 but I think this is down to the size of the image being slightly out. Still, considerably longer wheel base and inevitably the driver is much further forward of the center point of the car. I wonder how much this (and the further rear bias due to extra fuel + thinner front tyres) affects driving these machines.

4. Euh, ugly vertical stabilizer….

5. CounterStrike said on 29th January 2010, 13:20

McLaren must have been confident of the engine cooling to have such tiny sidepod openings. Shame they didn’t have a reliable merc engine back in 03,05 to have that aero liberty.

• Scribe said on 29th January 2010, 15:44

In 05 they took it anyway an look where that got them.

Kimi’s Cometlike in the McLaren.

Mind you, Alonso may have one the championship but Kimi won the race of the decade.

6. JHunt123 said on 29th January 2010, 13:22

Reminds me of ’95 launch when Mansell says if it goes as fast as it looks ….. (then we’re in trouble …)

7. Dougie said on 29th January 2010, 13:26

The MP425 is definitely much longer than the previous model, amplified by the longer wheelbase also. Certainly a much bigger than the difference between the two Ferraris.

I feel Ferrari may have the advantage here as they’ve kept this years car pretty damn close to the dimensions of last years.

8. I prefer last years engine cover and rear wing, but I like the side pods on the 2010 car, I cant decide which nose I prefer out of the two though.

9. It looks like those two pics from the side aren’t the same scale. The length difference is massive.

• Dougie said on 29th January 2010, 13:49

Comparing bits that should be the same size, e.g. wheels, bottom of front wing endplate, mount for universal camera… they look to be pretty comparable.

10. Stuart Hotman said on 29th January 2010, 13:47

Now thats what I call a sharks fin!

11. Scribe said on 29th January 2010, 14:03

How simular is this years front wing to the end spec wing they where running of the MP4 25?

12. Santander is not on the ML anymore ?

13. Dafizzner said on 29th January 2010, 14:32

I miss the black wheels :(

14. Icthyes said on 29th January 2010, 14:43

Forget DDDs, I wish they’d ban those bloody shark fins.

Maybe it was just my imagination, but didn’t Brawn test a shark fin on their car in Valencia practice? I never saw it again, but now I think Mercedes will also have one on their car.

15. Carl27 said on 29th January 2010, 14:56

No it only sponsors the McLaren drivers. By the way I don’t like the new car, the shark fin brings memories of the toyota and renault of previous years, arghhhhhh!

1 2 3